• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2016 Hip-Hop Awards | Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Hi everyone! Welcome to Gaf-Hop’s 2016 Hip Hop Awards voting thread. 2016, like all years has blessed us with another twelve months of excellent rap music. This thread is a way to honor your favorite albums and artists this year by voting for the ones you enjoyed most.

Didn’t listen to much hip-hop this year? Jump to post 2 for a list of hip-hop releases. I tried to include stuff that was heavily discussed as well as lesser known works to keep things fair.

Categories
Album of the Year
Song of the Year
Artist/Group of the Year
Producer of the Year
Rookie of the Year
Feature Killer of the Year
“L” of the Year
Biggest Disappointment

How will the votes be counted?
I’m using the same system as Neogaf’s Game of the Year thread for album and song of the year. In the results thread, the top ten will be posted along with the number of points they earned. For the other categories I’ll only be posting the winner. Every vote for Artist of the Year, producer, rookie, etc. will be worth just one point. The only mandatory category is Album of the Year. In previous voting threads there was a minimum of 10 albums required to participate. I’m going to be super lax and allow you to vote with just one album somewhat lax and reduce the minimum to five. Please exercise good judgement in what you consider to be hip-hop.

1. Game A ; 4 points
2. Game B ; 3 points
3. Game C ; 3 points
4. Game D ; 2 points
5. Game E ; 2 points
6. Game F ; 2 points
7. Game G ; 1 point
8. Game H ; 1 point
9. Game I ; 1 point
10. Game J ; 1 point

Remember that the quote above is just to let you know how scoring works. I’ll get to the format for this thread in the next section. You’re encouraged to provide annotations and images if you’d like. If you list more than 10 albums or songs, only the first 10 will be counted. If you list more than one choice for the other categories then I’ll only count the one you chose as your favorite.

How to vote
For album of the Year and Song of the Year, please use the following format. Write the name of the award in bold on its own line then each album/song should be written on an additional line. Use the vertical bar character (shift + \ on most keyboards or just copy and paste: |) to separate the rank, artist name, and album/song title.

Sample Ballot
Nothing listed is eligible since I intentionally chose works from before 2016.

Album of the Year
1|Ice Cube|Death Certificate
2|Ghostface Killah|Supreme Clientele
3|Jay Z|The Blueprint
4|Cannibal Ox|The Cold Vein
5|Deltron 3030|Deltron 3030
6|Redman|Muddy Waters
7|Main Source|Breaking Atoms
8|Nas|Illmatic
9|Snoop Dogg|Doggystyle
10|Scarface|The Fix

Song of the Year
Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg - Deep Cover
Artist/Group of the Year
Nas
Producer of the Year
J Dilla
Rookie of the Year
MF Doom
Method Man
“L” of the Year
Blu
Biggest Disappointment
Lupe Fiasco - Lasers

When Ballots Are Due
11:59:59 pm 13 January 2017 EST
How much time do I have left?

If everyone posts their votes in the specified format, then I’ll have the results up as early as 11:59:59 pm 15 January 2017 EST.

Special thanks to CRS for doing this in the previous years. I’m mostly just following his blueprint.

PlayDat

Listen this playlist of 2016 Hip-Hop while you browse. All credit goes to Gaf-Hop veterans HiResDes and MuddyDonut.

What you see below is by no means a comprehensive list. It’s just a place to get started if you’ve been missing out this year. It can also serve as a reminder for albums that came out in the first half of 2016. The linked albums are free.

Boom Bap
cbSTZiA.jpg
EmC1g8l.jpg

Czarface - A Fistful of Peril
Westside Gunn & Conway - Griselda Ghost

Chill
KmZsEjs.jpg
j6HZbmV.jpg
Mf3ZPMI.jpg

Curren$y & The Alchemist - The Carrollton Heist
Isaiah Rashad - The Sun’s Tirade
Kari Faux - Lost En Los Angeles

Cloud
7Dg8TGG.jpg
K18Xt64.jpg
PBYA9Ux.jpg

Antwon - Double Ecstasy
Bas - Too High to Riot
Princess Nokia - 1992

Experimental
clEZw04.jpg
PUBOb36.jpg
4TicnRD.jpg
S34LysJ.jpg
Q1BlIWQ.jpg

Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Azizi Gibson - A New Life
Cakes Da Killa - Hedonism
Chimurenga Renaissance - Girlz With Gunz
Dälek - Asphalt for Eden

hBKvYlG.jpg
69H5BXB.jpg
DBtjwQC.jpg
aTFldND.jpg
TbMj1R9.jpg

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Elucid - Save Yourself
J-Zone - Fish-n-Grits
Open Mike Eagle & Paul White - Hella Personal Film Festival
Saul Williams - MartyrLoserKing

Gangsta
zidqySx.jpg
IO07zcI.jpg

Payroll Giovanni & Cardo Got Wings - Big Bossin Vol. 1
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face LP

Pop
orXrsIp.jpg
iat5c6E.jpg
mR89teh.jpg
Uaw03T4.jpg
PMWNN2k.jpg

Drake - Views
D.R.A.M. - Big Baby D.R.A.M.
Dreezy - No Hard Feelings
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
No Panty - Westside Highway Story

xfXHa6J.jpg

Saba - Bucket List Project

Sociopolitical
X73hv6M.png
hbFAnCl.jpg
zb3MIfQ.jpg
DJfZp3q.jpg
zP45xXH.jpg

A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here Thank You For Your Service
Ab-Soul - DWTW
Common - Black America Again
De La Soul - and the Anonymous Nobody
J. Cole - 4 Your Eyez Only

irrBvM4.jpg
kNqY4WN.jpg
eFBeqJB.jpg
ijfe438.jpg
woE5WP0.jpg

Joey Purp - iiiDrops
Ka - Honor Killed the Samurai
Kate Tempest - Let them Eat Chaos
Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
Noname - Telefone

BEAKOQ0.jpg

Rapsody - Crown

Trap
l01VYYw.jpg
NBnaz3j.jpg
GqGA7iI.jpg
l7hK6o2.jpg
pFqlPit.jpg

A$AP Mob - Cozy Tapes Vol. 1
Denzel Curry - Imperial
French Montana - Wave Gods
Future - Purple Reign
Gucci Mane - Everybody Looking

D27D2MA.jpg
QPhCQoe.jpg
UlBzyih.jpg
J1iayp5.jpg
jC9GLuv.jpg

Kap G - El Southside
Kevin Gates - Islah
Maxo Kream - The Persona Tape
Lil Uzi Vert - Lil Uzi Vert vs. the World
Lil Yachty - Lil Boat The Mixtape

e8uP68i.jpg

Young Thug - Jeffery

West Coast
MXZf6W2.jpg
Nfw4YkC.jpg
czkr21v.jpg

Kamaiyah - A Good Night in the Ghetto
YG - Still Brazy
Polyester the Saint - American Muscle

I could have added a bunch of other albums, but I don’t want to overwhelm anyone. You’ve got whole month to check them out and add your vote. Enjoy!

Will Fill In as things hit me:

Album of the Year
1| Frank Ocean | Endless
2|A Tribe Called Quest|Thank You 4 Your Service
3|Swet Shop Boys|Cashmere
4|Danny Brown| Atrocity Exhibition
5|Kanye West| The Life of Pablo
6|Joey Purp|iiiDrops
7|Vince Staples | Prima Donna
8|Vic Mensa|There's Alot Going On
9|Open Mike Eagle & Paul White|Hella Personal Film Festival
10|Schoolboy Q| Blank Face
Song of the Year
1| Frank Ocean | U-N-I-T-Y
2|Kanye West|Ultralight Beams
3| Danny Brown | Ain't It Funny
4| Swet Shop Boys | T5
5| A Tribe Called Quest| Solid Wall of Sound
6| Kanye West| Real Friends
7| Drake | OG Controlla (feat. Popcaan)
8| Travis Scott | Pick Up The Phone
9| Swet Shop Boys | Aaja
10| Denzel Curry | G**k (thanks for naming the best song on your mixtape after a racial slur)
11| Antwon | 100k
12| Danny Brown | Rolling Stone
13| Kendrick Lamar | Untitled 2
14| ScHoolboy Q | JoHn Muir
15| Zack De La Rocha | Digging For Windows
Artist/Group of the Year
1| A Tribe Called Quest
2| Frank Ocean
3| Swet Shop Boys
4| Skepta
5| Gucci Mane
Producer of the Year
Metro Boomin
Rookie of the Year
1| Dave
2| Joey Purp
3| NoName
4| Jamila Woods
5| Princess Nokia
1| Quavo
2| Andre 3000
3| Chance the Rapper
4| Earl Sweatshirt
5| Gucci Mane
“L” of the Year
1| Kanye West for meeting with Trump and killing all his goddamn goodwill in one fell swoop
2| Lupe Fiasco for saying anti-Semitic things, being shocked people were mad he said anti-Semitic things, and then doubling down on them all while acting like a toddler.
3| Troy Ave for dissing a beloved rap figure and then shooting a gun in a NYC venue.
4| French Montana for "MC4"s rollout
5| Kid Cudi for "Say it to my face, pussy."
6| Yasiin Bey for saying traveling without a passport, claiming it was a passport, "No More Parties in SA", promising to release 3 albums, and completely forgetting to release the first.
Biggest Disappointment
1|Drake|VIEWS
2|Travis Scott|Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
3|Kanye West|The Life of Pablo
4|The Avalanches|Wildflower
5|Isaiah Rashad|The Sun's Tirade

IrishNinja

1. Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here.....Thank You 4 Your Service
2. Ka - Honor Killed the Samurai
3. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled
4. Run the Jewels 3
5. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
6. Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
7. Oddisee - The Odd Tape
8. Czarface - A Fistful of Peril
9. Curren$y & The Alchemist - The Carrollton Heist
10. Frank Ocean - Blonde
11. Warm Brew - Diagnosis

totally forgot common even dropped something, which kinda feels like deja vu from prior years

Biggest L: pretty much yeezy this entire year, from cosby to trump
i can't say lupe cause you don't expect a w from that dude anyway

Biggest disappointment: TLOP (his first weak project), followed by Views (likewise)

^this nigga put Frank Ocean on his best rap albums...boi if you dont

2. Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
3. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
4. Young Thug - Jeffery
5. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
6. Young Thug - Slime Season 3
7. Kevin Gates - Islah
8. Azizi Gibson - A New Life
9. Post Malone - Stoney
10. Schoolboy Q - Blankface LP

Artist of the Year - Thugga thugga!

L of the Year - Kanye West, I mean for real. Cosby, FLOP, Trump, his wacked out meltdowns, fucking over his fans, his trash clothing lines, Kim bout to leave his ass...he done, fam.

Someone put Drake it's just as bad

Anything past the first 3 is being forced upon me, I don't know or heard of them and probably won't

Album of the Year
1. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
2. Vince Staples - prima donna
3. Run The Jewels - RTJ3
4. Nothing
5. Nothing
6. Nothing
7. Nothing
8. Nothing
9. Elzhi - Lead Poison
10. Noname - Telefone

Song of the Year
Vince Staples - Smile

Placeholders/edits below

L of the year
TLOP after the Real Friends was put out/The TLOP thread

Biggest disappointment

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Can we just disqualify that list all together on the basis of hot bullshit claiming Ka was a dissappointment this year. HOLY SHIT.

Glass Rebel

Haven't decided on the last 3 entries and my ranking yet, will update later.

Album of the Year
|Kendrick Lamar|untitled.unmastered.
|Young Thug|JEFFERY
|Danny Brown|Atrocity Exhibition
|Schoolboy Q|Blank Face LP
|Noname|Telephone
|A Tribe Called Quest|We Got it From Here Thank You For Your Service
|Ka|Honor Killed the Samurai
||
||
||

Song of the Year
Young Thug & Travis Scott - Pick Up The Phone (feat. Quavo)
Artist/Group of the Year
Young Thug
Producer of the Year
Metro Boomin
Rookie of the Year
Joey Purp (I guess?)
Quavo
“L” of the Year
Soulja Boy
Biggest Disappointment
CULTURE still isn't out

People really love Untitled Unmastered huh? I only remember "Levitate,levitate,levitate" from that, it worked as a dump of TPAB leftovers, but it was nowhere near AOTY for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fantastic job on the thread, PlayDat!

Catching up on Big Baby D.R.A.M., Common, Post Malone, and maybe Tribe and Ab-Soul before I make any decisions.

PlayDat

Damn this is why I love the end of the year, lists that make it easy to catch up on what I missed.

Nice job PlayDat!
Still need to go through a few projects but 2016 was a solid year

Completely forgot about this, haha. Good looks on keeping the awards going.

Fantastic job on the thread, PlayDat!

Catching up on Big Baby D.R.A.M., Common, Post Malone, and maybe Tribe and Ab-Soul before I make any decisions.

Thanks everyone! I had a good time putting this together.

HiiiLife

Album of the Year

1. Isaiah Rashad - The Suns Tirade
2. Noname - Telefone
3. Curren$y - The Carrollton Heist
4. DJ Quik - Rosecrans
5. Westside Gunn - Flygod
6. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
7. Post Malone - Stoney
8. Ka - Honor Killed the Samurai
9. YG - Still Brazy :)
10. 6God - Views :) :)

Producer of the Year

Rookie of the Year
Does Post count? Because he has no right releasing two projects in 2016 that are enjoyable.

Quavo.

L of the Year
Kanye and his Trump shenanigans.

Biggest Disappointment
J Cole.

Will update later.

Album of the Year
1) Kanye West- The Life of Pablo
2) Anderson .Paak- Malibu
3) Danny Brown- Atrocity Exhibition
4) ScHoolboy Q- Blank Face LP
5) Noname- Telefone
6) Young Thug- Jeffery
7) Chance the Rapper- Coloring Book
8) Isaiah Rashad- The Sun's Tirade
9) A Tribe Called Quest- Thank You 4 Your Service... We Got It From Here
10) NxWrries- Yes Lawd!
HM) Kendrick Lamar- Untitled Unmastered

Song of the Year
1. Pick up the Phone- Travis Scott & Young Thug ft. Quavo
2. Holy Key- DJ Khaled ft. Big Sean, Kendrick Lamar & Betty Wright
3. Solo (Reprise)- Frank Ocean (Andre 3000)

Artist/Group of the Year
1. Anderson .Paak
2. Young Thug
3. A Tribe Called Quest

Producer of the Year
1. Metro Boomin
2. Cardio (Untitled 02, Unititled 07, That Part, Goosebumps, Through the Late Night)
3. London on the Track (Slime Season 3, Sneakin')

Rookie of the Year
1. Noname
2. D.R.A.M.
3. Lil Yachty

1. Andre 3000
2. Quavo
3. Ty Dolla $ign
4. Kendrick Lamar
5. Young Thug / Lil Yachty

“L” of the Year
1. French Montana and MC4
2. Lupe Fiasco being a little bitch
3. Drake being pretty shit all year long

Biggest Disappointment
1. J Cole- 4 Your Eyez Only
2. Drake- Views
3. A lack of Turbo Graphix 16
4. Future- Purple Reign and EVOL
5. Desiigner- Old English

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
1) We Got It From Here - ATCQ
2) Untitled Unmastered - Kendrick
3) Life of Pablo - Kanye
4) Don't Smoke Rock - Smoke DZA
5) Black America Again - Common
6) Stoned on Ocean - Curren$y
7) Cozy Tapes - A$AP Mob
8) The Legend of Harvard Blue - Curren$y
9) Sun's Tirade - Isiah Rashad
10) Diabolical Bastard Billionaire Genius - Isa Muhammad

Will finish the rest later

Song of the Year - False Prophets (by J Cole)

Here we have J. Cole finally living up to that potential his diehard fans are always talking about. He drops a Kanye Ether song that actually makes you feel bad for Kanye. Mental health problems and enablers are never a good mix, but you hear about it so often among celebrities its a known career killer that all music fans are familiar with. J. Cole's song touches on all of that, as well as how Hip Hop has been led astray from any positive meaning, thanks to a large extent to Kanye these last few years. He also disses Wale on it... which is strange because I think it did Wale a favor, because prior to that nobody was really talking about Wale.

Then to just cement how grounded this song is the video is just him rapping while hanging out in Queens. Shout out to my favorite workout song "New Level" by A$AP Ferg, and "Black Superhero Car" by Smoke DZA and Rick Ross. Panda should get honorable mention but then I think of timmy turner and ..... No..... Just No.

Artist/Group of the Year - ATCQ

For a final album who could of asked for more, dope rhymes, dope production, verses from Phife that still are current and fit perfectly with the production, Busta Rhymes (the feature GAWD) being featured heavily throughout the whole album. Add to that the political consciousness of the album (a trend I expect to continue for the next few years) and you have the Group of the year (that made my album of the year). Shout out to A$AP MOB they made a great album in with the COZY TAPES....... but they were going against a vet team's final effort and came up short

Producer of the Year - Pete Rock

Another Vet coming back to drop quality on the masses. The "Don't Smoke Rock" tape is just top tier production, "Limitless", "Black Superhero Car", "Show Off" Are all great songs. Pete came did his thing, If more mainstream top tier rappers don't go to him for beats in 2017 I would be very surprised.

Smoke DZA also deserves a lot of credit for this tape. He left Jet Life and sort of faded into the background only to drop his best album to date. Its good to see that he'll likely be able to continue his career as a solo artist. Shout out to Cookin Soul. Larry June is not a very good rapper. The production is so good on Orange Season, Larry June's inability to rap doesn't even matter.

Rookie of the Year - Isa Muhammad

Originally I said nobody. Which made sense since it was a shitty year for Rookies. I like Dave East a lot but did he do anything that deserves recieving rookie of the year status? A okay album, an amazing verse on other peoples albums...... it just doesn't add up. I like Lil Dicky's Professional song but I have to overlook some of the in between context of the song to do it "I'm different than your average.....Applicant" and as he is self admittedly soft. Desiigner could of been there but Timmy Turner is such hot fucking garbage. Maybe Yung Ma but I feel she is so much like Bobby Shmurda still I need to see more from her to make a decision.

Edit: 12/30/16

So apparently in June a homeless man ran up on Rick Ross and spit a freestyle. Rick Ross was so impressed that he signed the man whose name is Isa Muhammad to a deal. Now if that story is real or just really good marketing I don't know. What I do know is he is by FAR the best rookie this year. He won't make that XXL cover for 2016 but I fully expect he'll be on the 2017 on though. His mixtape Diabolical Bastard Billionaire Genius this impressive. He does have an out right bad song on the whole 25 track project, but he really shines on the last track of the album 22 inches. Ross might of legit found himself a damn good artist instead of just signing one who was already at the cusp of breaking into the mainstream. I'm excited to see what the two of them can produce.

Feature Killer of the Year - Andre 3000

Andre blesss very few projects with his presence, to the point that him even harmonizing on a song is worthy of note. Will he our OutKast drop a album ever again... idk, but there is definitely a high demand for it.

Second place goes to GUWOP. Gucci would of been first place but he keeps strong arming these new artist to do whole mixtapes around his features. So I don't think they count as features anymore.

“L” of the Year - Kanye
This is weird because he is in my top 10 album list. So he shouldn't even be in the "L" of the year category but here we are..... with him taking the biggest L of all.

Kanye is without a doubt the biggest Loser of 2016 (next to Hilary, American Democracy, and dead people) Kanye West earns this Capital "L" for meeting with Trump and killing all his goddamn goodwill in one fell swoop, Canceling a major tour, Kim might be leaving him (She aint a gold digger though), His mental collapse becoming headline news, Then that mental collapse inspiring "False Prophets" That convinced me J Cole was actually going to live up to his potential...... To summarize Fuck Kanye, but 2016 did him dirty. Second place goes to French and MC4. Its a damn good album, but due to Target being reckless it was leaked way to early and he had to watch everyone get it for free...... A lot of the themes of MC4 is perservering in the face of struggle. Hopefully French takes his own advice.

Biggest Disappointment - J Cole.

J Cole dropped my song of the year and didn't even put it on the God Damn Album...... Even if it didn't fit his "vision" for the album, that's what bonus tracks are for. AKA tracks that you just throw on at the end of the album, because the fans love the song. Yeah I can download it separately, yeah its on spotify separately, but for history's sake it should of been an official part of the album. Imagine recommending the album to somebody and having to always remember to say "also download/buy the song False Prophets because it was sort of the single for the album but it wasn't actually on the album"..... He should of named the song "False Advertising" smh

1 | Kid Cudi | Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin'
2 | Anderson Paak | Malibu
3 | A Tribe Called Quest | We Got It From Here.....Thank You 4 Your Service
4 | Chance the Rapper | Coloring Book
5 | Young Thug | Jeffery

The God came through in the clutch with the hip hop AOTY

Screen-Shot-2016-05-11-at-3.09.59-PM.png

Question, does crossover/instrumental stuff count? I put The Avalanches and Death Grips on my list, but I can rewrite it if those don't really fit.

Album of the Year
1|Danny Brown|Atrocity Exhibition
2|A Tribe Called Quest|We Got It From Here.....Thank You 4 Your Service
3|KA|Honor Killed the Samurai
4|Kanye West|The Life of Pablo
5|Death Grips|Bottomless Pit
6|Denzel Curry|Imperial
7|Young Thug|Slime Season 3
8|The Avalanches|Wildflower
9|YG|Still Brazy
10|D.R.A.M.|Big Baby D.R.A.M.

Song of the Year
Denzel Curry - ULT
Artist/Group of the Year
A Tribe Called Quest
Producer of the Year
The Avalanches
Earl Sweatshirt
“L” of the Year
Drake - Two Birds, One Stone
Biggest Disappointment
Clams Casino - 32 Levels

Album of the Year
1. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here.....Thank You 4 Your Service
2. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
3. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3
4. Noname - Telefone
5. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
6. Young Thug - Jeffrey
7. Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
8. Vince Staples - Prima Donna
9. Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
10. Azizi Gibson - A New Life

Artist of the Year - Young Thug and Chance the Rapper. If I have to pick one: Thug.

Biggest L: Kanye West, Troy Ave, and Lupe Fiasco. If I have to pick 1: Kanye

Biggest Disappointment: The Life of Pablo, despite me still kinda liking it.

Grakl

Album of the Year
1|A Tribe Called Quest|We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service
2|Noname|Telefone
3|Young Thug|JEFFERY
4|Chance the Rapper|Coloring Book
5|Kanye West|The Life of Pablo
6|Danny Brown|Atrocity Exhibition
7|Kendrick Lamar|untitled, unmastered
8|Vince Staples|Prima Donna
9|Run the Jewels|Run the Jewels 3
10|Death Grips|Bottomless Pit

Malibu/Yes Lawd and Blond aren't hip hop so I'm not putting them on there but I would lol

Tough. None of Thug's albums on their own can top Tribe, but take the best tracks from Thug's projects and that right there is my AOTY.

1. Best of Young Thug
2. Tribe
3. Ka
4. Gucci

I'll do something more formal in a bit.

IrishNinja

Ka as disappointment...ive seen it all

also we should toss out any lists with just 1 or 2 things on it as well, that's not even trying

i put pinball games in my GOTY lists too
these things happen fam

CRS

I may not be running it this year but there better not be a people with less than 5 albums. That's not even worth Play's time and unfair to the standings.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Ka as disappointment...ive seen it all

also we should toss out any lists with just 1 or 2 things on it as well, that's not even trying

i put pinball games in my GOTY lists too
these things happen fam

LMAO

I agree there should be a limit of 5 albums

Album of the Year
1. Anderson .paak - Malibu
2. NxWorries - Yes Lawd!
3. Young Thug - JEFFERY
4. Travis Scott - Birds in the Trap
5. Bankroll Mafia - Bankroll Mafia
6. Gucce Mane - Everybody Looking
7. Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
8. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
9. Schoolboy Q - Blank Face

Song of the Year
Black Beatles

Artist/Group of the Year
Anderson .paak

“L” of the Year
Kanye West

Biggest Disappointment
The Life of Pablo

Onemic

Album of the Year
1. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here...Thank You For Your Service
2. Anderson .paak - Malibu
3. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
4. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
5. Schoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
6. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled/Unmastered

Artist of the Year
Anderson .paak

Biggest Dissapointment
Drake - Views From the Six

L of the Year
Kanye West

T Dollarz

Finally listened to that Paak album a couple days ago and thought it was somewhat whack. Pretty corny all around. Few good jams but overall wasn't feeling it.

PlayDat

A lot of people aren't following the format I specified. In all likelihood, I'll probably still count your votes, but it'll take me longer to present the results.
Question, does crossover/instrumental stuff count? I put The Avalanches and Death Grips on my list, but I can rewrite it if those don't really fit.

Both are fine. Go ahead and add them if you still want to.
Someone put Drake it's just as bad

Album of the Year
2. Vince Staples - prima donna
3. Nothing
4. Nothing
5. Nothing
6. Nothing
7. Nothing
8. Nothing
9. Nothing
10. Nothing

Song of the Year
Vince Staples - Smile

Placeholders/edits below

L of the year
TLOP after the Real Friends was put out/The TLOP thread

Biggest disappointment

LChCn8D.gif

Ummmm. I'll count this one too, however I implore you to check out a few of the albums I listed in post 2. Remember that the linked ones are free!

CRS, I did consider requiring more than just one album in order for a vote to be valid. In the interest of maximizing voter turnout I decided to require as few as possible. What I hope happens: more casual listeners feel comfortable participating, post their ballots, keep the thread bumped (thereby exposing it to even more people), and graduate from listening casually to more regularly. By this time next year their lists will look nicer. The Gaf-Hop regulars will show up regardless.

i just realised how many (good) rap albums i missed out on this year while i was on a pop binge fuck

time to start up eurotruck

IrishNinja

Ummmm. I'll count this one too, however I implore you to check out a few of the albums I listed in post 2. Remember that the linked ones are free!

for real, man..i'm with my dude CRS. fuck em if they can't even bother, just came in to cheerlead the album or two they heard & aren't even trying to honestly engage the thread, you should really consider tossing out any of that mess.

HiResDes

2. Ka - Honor Killed the Samurai
3. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled
5. Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
6. Oddisee - The Odd Tape
7. Czarface - A Fistful of Peril
8. Curren$y & The Alchemist - The Carrollton Heist
9. Frank Ocean - Blonde

totally forgot common even dropped something, which kinda feels like deja vu from prior years

Biggest L: pretty much yeezy this entire year, from cosby to trump
i can't say lupe cause you don't expect a w from that dude anyway

Biggest disappointment: TLOP (his first weak project), followed by Views (likewise)
Blonde? Yeah how is that hip hop?

I don't even know why so many people are listing Anderson Paak shit, like breh is not really rapping.

Browsing neogaf in december is the worst. So stressful when realising how many games, albums etc you missed out on and need to catch up:(

CoolOff

Album of the Year
2. Kembe X - Talk Back
3. Future - EVOL
4. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
5. Ka - Honor Killed the Samurai
6. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
7. Azizi Gibson - A New Life
8. Kemba - Negus

Song of the Year
Sneakin' - Drake ft. Young Savage

Artist/Group of the Year
Danny Brown

Producer of the Year
Metro Boomin

“L” of the Year
TLOP-thread on GAF.

Biggest Disappointment
My own lack of attention in the genre.

rdytoroll

Album of the Year
1|Travis Scott|Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
2|Schoolboy Q|Blank Face LP
3|Future|Evol
4|Kid Cudi|Passion, Pain and Demon Slayin'
5|Kanye West|The Life of Pablo
6|Drake|Views
7|Kendrick Lamar|Untitled Unmastered.
8|A Tribe Called Quest|We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
9|Young Thug|Jeffery
10|DJ Khaled|Major Key

Song of the Year
Future ft. The Weeknd - Low Life

Artist/Group of the Year
Future

Producer of the Year
Mike Dean

Rookie of the Year
Lil Yachty

André 3000

“L” of the Year
Kodak Black (trying to start beef with Lil Yachty)

Biggest Disappointment
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Album of the Year
1|King Harris - nightmare on wolff st.
2|Aesop Rock - the impossible kid
3|Schoolboy Q - blankface
4|Sparkmaster Tape - silhouette of a sunkken city
5|Havoc and Alchemist - The silent partner
6|Game - streets of Compton
7|Belly - Inzombia/Another day in paradise
8|Atmopshere - fishing blues
9|Kevin Gates - islah
10|Tribe Called Quest - we got it from here

Almost hip hop and should be on the list
GTA - good times ahead
Anderson Paak - Malibu
Ty Dolla $ign - campaign

Song of the Year
IM ON A NEW LEVEL wait that's technically 2015
GTA feat Vince staples - little bit of this

Artist/Group of the Year
tribe for the proper goodbye

“L” of eternity
Kanye

deli2000

This year has been good for all the hip hoppity and the raps.

1. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here.....Thank You 4 Your Service
  2. Noname - Telefone
  3. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
  5. Ka - Honor Killed The Samurai
  6. Common - Black America Again
  7. Isiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
  8. NxWorries - Yes Lawd!
  9. Schoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
  10. Vince Staples - Prima Donna

HiResDes

You should be tossing these one album naming suckas honestly, they'll never be back or listen to more hip hop don't kid yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom