• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I passed out at work today. A first. Memory is now "off" and I'm freaking out.

cirrhosis

My memory is always like this after rigorous exercise. Choppa, hope you getting your stuff looked at in detail. Don't wanna lose a GAFfer to something that could have been diagnosed and treated.

It may be nothing but but I'd see a Dr to be safe. Everyone telling you to go to the ER - do you realize how expensive that is these days?

Hopefully the original poster lives in a country with a sensible health system. Yikes, who charges for emergency treatment?

Really hope OP hasn't responded because he is at/on the way to the ER right now.

I'm fully insured with Kaiser, I'm currently on hold with them to report my symptoms so that they can make a call whether it's something to come in right away or to make an appointment.

I'm fully insured with Kaiser, I'm currently on hold with them to report my symptoms so that they can make a call whether it's something to come in right away or to make an appointment.

If they don't let you come in for syncope, memory loss, and vision disturbance, drop them.

Sai-kun

Banned
what the fuck

why would you not just go immediately

what the fuck

am i crazy? am i the crazy one for not giving it a second thought as to if i would wait for an appointment or just go to the ER?

FyreWulff

you got insurance? g o t o t h e E R. they will triage you. do not worry, you will not result in killing someone that needed more urgent care if you just go.

what the fuck

what the fuck

am i crazy? am i the crazy one?

i know rite

what the fuck

what the fuck

am i crazy? am i the crazy one for not giving it a second thought as to if i would wait for an appointment or just go to the ER?
I'm thinking the same thing. Then again, I live in an actual first world country.

It's so scary how people can be hesitant to go to the doctor

lol what go to the actual Kaiser building you don't need an "appointment" to go into the Emergency or Urgent section (forgot to the actual name). See the Doctor if you have co-pay at most you would have to drop $50.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Obviously I agree rush to the doctor.

That being said personally it sounds to me like youre panicking as a result of having fainted, now you're overthinking things and questioning everything.

I want to say again, the doctor is crucial to find out what caused you to faint and if there is anything more serious. That aside chances are it was nothing and your memory issues are nothing more than anxiety.

karnage10

Banned
As an intern if you were family/friend i'd take you to ER.
Tbh it sounds like being hypoglycemic or low blood pressure however without looking at you, doing some blood tests and see your medical history there is no way to truly know what happened.
I also don't like that you falled while taking aspirin which is an anticoagulant that can make bleeding worse.
I really think you should see a doctor even if he most likely will say everything is fine.
I am off to bed but I wish you the best!

If you don't live in the US, the ER can be very absurd. Just the ambulance ride over can be thousands.

This. I collapsed during my internship in college in a very similar way to what OP described, and while I couldn't stand on my own and I was almost too dizzy to even keep myself sitting upright, I still had the cognitive awareness to scream that I didn't want an ambulance and to say the words, "I'm an adult and I have the right to refuse medical attention."

I never went to the ER about it. I never found out why it happened. Thankfully nothing came of it, but it was a terrifying experience made worse by the fact that I knew that I couldn't accept help due to medical expenses.

Please be safe, OP. If you're in the US, chill out for a little bit, drink some water, put something in your stomach. If you're still in a bad way in a few hours, then maybe consider a doctor.

If you're in a place with a functioning medical care system, get your ass in a doctor's office asap.

This. I collapsed during my internship in college in a very similar way to what OP described, and while I couldn't stand on my own and I was almost too dizzy to even keep myself sitting upright, I still had the cognitive awareness to scream that I didn't want an ambulance and to say the words, "I'm an adult and I have the right to refuse medical attention."

I never went to the ER about it. I never found out why it happened. Thankfully nothing came of it, but it was a terrifying experience made worse by the fact that I knew that I couldn't accept help due to medical expenses.

Please be safe, OP. If you're in the US, chill out for a little bit, drink some water, put something in your stomach. If you're still in a bad way in a few hours, then maybe consider a doctor.

If you're in a place with a functioning medical care system, get your ass in a doctor's office asap.

He has insurance, he's fine to go. And he needs to go.

low blood sugar or diabetes would be my first guess. Definetly see a doctor and go to the ER. But also try not to worry yourself into a frenzy. my ex used to pass out from heat and it would kinda mess her head up for the remainder of the day when it happened.

go to the fucking doctor

what is it with OT threads where the OP is like "GAF, my limbs are slowly turning into stone, what should I do?"

Dyle

Yes go to a doctor. I've fainted many times due to a combination of squeamishness and low blood sugar due to not having eaten in too long, but there were clear explanations for those times and I was usually in school and able to have a nurse/athletic trainer look at me. If you don't know what happened, they'll be able to figure it out

daegan

Yeah, this was super unprofessional of your boss. In many chain stores it's company policy that you have to get checked out after an incident like this.

either thought they were being helpful or was trying to get him out to avoid liability

Linkura

go to the fucking doctor

what is it with OT threads where the OP is like "GAF, my limbs are slowly turning into stone, what should I do?"

I think a lot of people do this and just don't post on Internet forums about this.

My grandpa had a mild stroke and never went to the doctor. Ended up slowly killing himself because he was a stubborn bastard who refused to go.

Was there pain when you pulled the groin muscle? If you're lucky it was just a vasovagal episode, happened to me before. Would still get it checked out regardless

A similar things happened to me earlier this year. I deal with moderate Hypotension and at the time I also was trying to try a low carb diet for a couple weeks and probably was going on my 10th+ day of barely getting 1200 calories. One night (after eating only 800 calories the day) I got up to use the bathroom and as soon as I go in I blacked out, my head went through my bathroom wall and I felt to the ground hard with blood on my forehead. Not sure how long I was out for but as soon as I regained consciousness my vision was almost completely gone and extremely blurry, extremely fast pulse, mental confusion, extreme hard time breathing and unable to stand or do anything but crawl and I somehow managed to crawl across my apartment to reach the phone to call for help. Blood sugar was fine but I had critically low blood sodium levels and eating so little over a long period of time destroyed me and I ended up with a concussion, sprained wrist and the most scary moment of my life.

Have you been eating well/getting enough water intake recently? Especially so if your doing a lot of walking and physical labor at your job. Like everyone else has said go to the ER/doctors asap as it could be something simple or something far more serious. Hope everything does go well in the end though!

sangreal

I hate going to the doctor and normally I'd say go to urgent care first but cmon man, you need to go to the ER. That memory shit aint normal even after fainting

In Canada, people get a cut and go to the ER, because we don't have to worry about deductables and what not. An Ambulance ride is $50 here.

PrankT

As opposed to everyone else, I'd just call and talk to them first. The wait in the ER can take forever, be stressful, and expensive.

Trace

Banned
As opposed to everyone else, I'd just call and talk to them first. The wait in the ER can take forever, be stressful, and expensive.

He could also be sitting there slowly losing braincells from a stroke.

But you know, money.

hongcha

The OP's sudden memory loss is a huge red flag (moreso than the fainting); that is not normal and needs immediate evaluation.

OP, there's a simple solution.

Just tattoo the names of your favorite characters on your body, complete with artistic representations of what they look like.

Do this and just drink a Dr. Pepper OP and you'll be right as rain...wait, that doesn't sound right. Go to the ER and then do all of that.

DrBo42

You fainted and you're having memory issues. Go to an ER, you don't need clearance from your insurance. Wtf?

My brother started having episodes of 'lost time' at work and eventually someone found him passed out while he was at work. He went to the doctor and found out he had diabetes. Get it checked out OP!

Just go to the ER man. Call them later. If you are still experiencing symptoms thats not good man.

Top Bottom