• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I passed out at work today. A first. Memory is now "off" and I'm freaking out.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
On my way home from Urgent Care (my sister drove me FYI). They did an EKG, blood sugar test, and CT Scan. All normal. The doctor was quick to think I was taking some kind of anxiety medicine. I wasn't, but I was JUST diagnosed with OCD on Monday so the doctor said "well it must've been that then!" Didn't feel particularly anxious at the time (I use to breeze through 4 hours of work no problem before). I like to think it's just that I NEED those 10 minute breaks at work to eat a little something and can't just gloss over that anymore. My mom is hypoglycemic and has diabetes so it's possible that might have an influence on me.

Aside from still having a mild headache (I'm getting something to eat now), I'm good.

Thanks for the concern and support GAF.

So the doctor thinks you passed out because you were diagnosed with OCD? Sounds like a quack.

I guess make a followup appointment with your primary care doctor. Maybe they can run some more tests.

What the fuck man.

"Gaf I've been stabbed and my wallet nicked but I've just remembered I didn't tip the chick that served me in Bucks. What do I do? I really like her. Do I ask her out. I'm bleeding ou...".

I swear this is going to be a thread soon.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So the doctor thinks you passed out because you were diagnosed with OCD? Sounds like a quack.

Come on son, these things aren't actually medical mysteries.
If he's cleared by a neurologist then it's pretty safe to say it's not a neurological problem.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
If he's cleared by a neurologist then it's pretty safe to say it's not a neurological problem.
I doubt he was seen by a neurologist, but I doubt he needs to seen by one. Probably best he follow up with his primary care doctor. There's a good chance these "'memory issues" will be gone by then.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I doubt he was seen by a neurologist, but I doubt he needs to seen by one. Probably best he follow up with his primary care doctor. There's a good chance these "'memory issues" will be gone by then.

Weird.

If you presented in the ER with these symptoms in the Netherlands, you'd undoubtedly get seen by a neurologist or neurologist in training after initial triage.
I mean, I see similar patients all the time on my current neuro rotation.

But yeah, just make an appointment with your PCP at this point.

I guess everything is somewhat resolved be COME ON OP!!!!! why on earth would you post on a internet forum instead of immediately going to the hospital!?!!?

Was your groin pain particularly bad at the time? I have a habit of getting lightheaded or fainting when in pain sometimes, usually pain to my stomach area.

Obscura

I hope your at the ER, OP

This happened to me about two months ago. Stepped out the back door of work, walked maybe ten feet then blacked out and hit my head on a cement pole. I came to and it was as if both sides of my brain were working separately for maybe 10 seconds. Thought I was having a stroke and dying. After a night at the ER nothing came up. Went back for an echocardiogram and that came up with nothing so they put me on a heart monitor for a month. Recently got that off and results were fine. No idea what happened.

I'm case anyone was scared I'd die in my sleep or something, I'm still here

Was your groin pain particularly bad at the time? I have a habit of getting lightheaded or fainting when in pain sometimes, usually pain to my stomach area.

Yeah it was, but it wasn't the first time I've had groin pain, usually I just need to sit down a bit and take something, I've never been lightheaded from pain before.

"Something seriously has happened to me medically! I must seek help from a video game forum."

Yeah, it really does look so very dumb after the fact. Again, my reasoning, which sounded perfectly logical at the time, was if I can make a thread coherently, I'd probably be fine, that and maybe there were people who could relate (and there were according to a couple posts).

Another reason for my hesitancy, was the last time I really jumped the gun on going to the same UC that's 30 miles away over, of all things, groin pain. I had never pulled my groin before, I thought I was going to die. I didn't have a car or ANYTHING at the time. I called my grandmother, who was an RN and they insisted on taking the 2 hour drive to come get me, and then drive me to the UC. Was really embarrassed that it was just a pulled groin.

I guess make a followup appointment with your primary care doctor. Maybe they can run some more tests.

Yeah it just didn't sound right at all, I'm catching up my mom on the details (she has had blood sugar issues and now has diabetes) and she insists it was just a lack of hydration and food/sugar.

Yeah it just didn't sound right at all, I'm catching up my mom on the details (she has had blood sugar issues and now has diabetes) and she insists it was just a lack of hydration and food/sugar.

I'm gonna lay this out straight for you as someone who has severe OCD and panic disorder stemming from that: there is basically nothing neurological symptomatically that Anxiety cannot cause. This could have been anxiety for sure. Sometimes you don't know you're having a panic attack until you're deep into it. I have had panic attacks manifest as cataplexy and convinced myself I was having a stroke. Went to the ER in an ambulance. What do you know, elevated blood pressure and elevated heart rate, but more in line with a panic attack than a cardiovascular problem -- but the thing is, those symptoms combine, you start unknowingly hyperventilating, you lose feeling in your limbs, you could even pass out -- everything you described could definitely be a result of your OCD. Don't discount it, especially when you just had EKG and CTs come back normal.

The other problem is, unfortunately, that low sugar and dehydration amp up anxiety in most people, so it's a vicious cycle. This could have been one or the other or both. All I'm saying is, don't doubt the power of your brain to convince itself it's fucked when it's not.

Get yourself tested for diabetes, stroke, heart attack.
NOW!

Go to the ER

Stop posting on GAF and go see a doctor. Go to the ER.

Absolutely see a doctor ASAP. Sure, it might be something minor, but even knowing that is worth the visit.

Sorry, dude. :(

Go to a doctor?

I've passed out a few times from diabetes and it's surreal experience. Go to your doctor.

Go to the emergency room.

Please go to the ER now. Please

Dear fucking lord I'm going to worse case here but you can easily die if that is a brain bleed

Lasting neurological symptoms are always an emergency

Doctor here

Keep posting on GAF, OP. Sure it's nothing.

jk, go to an ED / Urgent Care / your PCP, ya bozo

I passed out at work the first time I had an anxiety attack. My memory was fuzzy for a bit after as well. My memory is always a bit funny for a bit after an attack. I slur my words too. All the signs of having a stroke. Shit sucks. Luckily I mostly have it under control these days.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Weird.

If you presented in the ER with these symptoms in the Netherlands, you'd undoubtedly get seen by a neurologist or neurologist in training after initial triage.
I mean, I see similar patients all the time on my current neuro rotation.

But yeah, just make an appointment with your PCP at this point.

There must be a deluge of neurologists in the Netherlands. But I'm guessing you're at an academic centre - medicine is practiced very differently in the real world. Health care would get really expensive if every person with a potential neurological problem was seen by a neurologist.

notsol337

marked forever
Seriously, OP, go see a neurologist. It would be awful to attribute something like a stroke to OCD. This is a case of better safe than sorry.

Prologue

My mom's neurologist thought she either had parkinson's or seizures.

She was actually hypoglycemic and complicated migraines.

I passed out at work the first time I had an anxiety attack. My memory was fuzzy for a bit after as well. My memory is always a bit funny for a bit after an attack. I slur my words too. All the signs of having a stroke. Shit sucks. Luckily I mostly have it under control these days.

those were my mom's symyoms of hypoglycemic.

Lombax

Banned
On my way home from Urgent Care (my sister drove me FYI). They did an EKG, blood sugar test, and CT Scan. All normal. The doctor was quick to think I was taking some kind of anxiety medicine. I wasn't, but I was JUST diagnosed with OCD on Monday so the doctor said "well it must've been that then!" Didn't feel particularly anxious at the time (I use to breeze through 4 hours of work no problem before). I like to think it's just that I NEED those 10 minute breaks at work to eat a little something and can't just gloss over that anymore. My mom is hypoglycemic and has diabetes so it's possible that might have an influence on me.

Aside from still having a mild headache (I'm getting something to eat now), I'm good.

Thanks for the concern and support GAF.

I am glad you are OK.

Something you may want to do is talk to a therapist as well.
For about 7 years I was having incredibly strong panic attacks to that point that twice I almost passed out, and one instance where I actually drove myself to a fire station and then got transported to the ER.
It was only this year that I was diagnosed with PTSD [TL;DR version: My father died in front of me when I was 7 and now I am afraid to put my daughter through that same kind of trauma].
I am by no means saying that our situations are the same, but I also have OCD, I worry about EVERYTHING to the point of being irrational at times, and in general have anxiety.

rjinaz

Stress, both mentally and physically, can do some messed up shit to memory.

Not that long ago I was involved in an accident at work. When I got home I stopped at the ATM and my pin number was just gone from my memory. Nada. A number I have had for two years and use it at least a few times a month. It's 6 digits.

Anyway, took me 2 days of thinking about it and writing numbers down with guesses to see if they seemed familiar, to finally come up with it.

My mom's neurologist thought she either had parkinson's or seizures.

She was actually hypoglycemic and complicated migraines.

those were my mom's symyoms of hypoglycemic.
Yeah my ex was hypoglycemic and she would have those symptoms too. I guess the only way to be sure is to get a full checkup done. I had brain scans and bloodwork and chest xrays, the whole 9 yards. They ruled out basically everything and said it had to be anxiety.

TVexperto

Man american healthcare is so fucked, everywhere in the rest of the world people would have called an ambulance for you

Top Bottom