• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, in honor of Alien Day, let's replay the masterpiece known as Alien: Isolation

Zomba13

Absolutely loved the game. Best game with a Xenomorph in it. Best Alien game. I've never understood the length complaint "wah, there is just too much of this good thing!"

RevenWolf

I think this is the room that made me stop playing.

I'm surprised so many people had so much trouble, did it on my third try on hard. Fantastic game, was one of the best survival horror games in years.

Still have to play it in short bursts because of the tension.

Some shots from my imgur:

6B5hCDd.jpg

EVUrLju.jpg

5LEmjSk.jpg

Zq59FKn.jpg

1WPP7aS.jpg

Amazing game, a lot of this is from the final stretch though.

Skeletron

They absolutely nailed the atmosphere of the film and I really enjoyed the game up until it got impossibly difficult. At a certain point I definitely started feeling like it should have ended already. I want to finish but I haven't gone back to it in a few months.

I'm stuck in the reactor with the
Overload Beta Core mission. Two aliens jump out of nowhere every time I try to get down this one hallway.
It's fucking aggravating and from what I've seen looking up walkthroughs on youtube, I really don't look forward to getting out of here and dodging more androids in between flipping switches and playing the same hacking minigames I've done a dozen times before. Eh, maybe I'll get back to it one of these days.

They absolutely nailed the atmosphere of the film and I really enjoyed the game up until it got impossibly difficult. At a certain point I definitely started feeling like it should have ended already. I want to finish but I haven't gone back to it in a few months.

I'm stuck in the reactor with the
Overload Beta Core mission. Two aliens jump out of nowhere every time I try to get down this one hallway.
It's fucking aggravating and from what I've seen looking up walkthroughs on youtube, I really don't look forward to getting out of here and dodging more androids in between flipping switches and playing the same hacking minigames I've done a dozen times before. Eh, maybe I'll get back to it one of these days.

You have to use the gadgets, for example the Smokebombs are severely overpowered and cheap to make if you conserve your supplies.

This game couldn't possibly be condensed into five hours. The lengthy build up until you first encounter the alien is really important and trying to cram all the gameplay scenarios and locations into the remaining few hours would absolutely wreck its pacing. Those things need a room to breathe.
That is not to say that pacing couldn't be improved (I think splitting the game into episodes would make it more accessible for people who can't handle or are opposed to the idea of lengthy horror games), but I'm glad the devs put so much stuff into this one game because it doesn't look like we're ever going to get another chance to play an Alien (singular) game. This one is enough of a goshdarned miracle.

I'm not saying that they should cram every single idea from the game into only 5 hours, that would be a disaster. A better focused experience that takes the best ideas from Isolation and refines them would result in a much better game. Instead, the game is full of repetition and tedium. The Alien, an unpredictable and terrifying threat at the beginning of the game becomes annoying to deal with. They don't really take any creative liberties with the Alien, the encounters are basically the same from start to finish. The final twist of having
multiple aliens
was a lame and predictably boring way of adding additional tension.

If for whatever reason they had to make it a 20 hour experience, then it should have been paced properly. I was expecting some sort of major shift in gameplay at some point. I absolutely did not think they would have you hiding and being stealthy the entire game. It needed to pick up the pace and become an action game, or at least have more engaging set pieces and faster sequences in the later half.

I'm not saying that they should cram every single idea from the game into only 5 hours, that would be a disaster. A better focused experience that takes the best ideas from Isolation and refines them would result in a much better game. Instead, the game is full of repetition and tedium. The Alien, an unpredictable and terrifying threat at the beginning of the game becomes annoying to deal with. They don't really take any creative liberties with the Alien, the encounters are basically the same from start to finish. The final twist of having
multiple aliens
was a lame and predictably boring way of adding additional tension.

If for whatever reason they had to make it a 20 hour experience, then it should have been paced properly. I was expecting some sort of major shift in gameplay at some point. I absolutely did not think they would have you hiding and being stealthy the entire game. It needed to pick up the pace and become an action game, or at least have more engaging set pieces and faster sequences in the later half.

I didn't really expect that much of a shift at all, and the additional threat of
more aliens, Hostile and non hostile androids, facehuggers.
completely sold the game for me.

grhoffi

Neo Member
I'm still on the PS3 as family & financial situation hasn't allowed move to PS4 (and the backlog from hell still strong on PS3) and this game just made such a huge impact when I thought I've seen everything there is to see with old gen. After Last of Us and few others I really thought the next big thing for me would be some next gen game with the looks & gameplay to really blow my mind... something like Uncharted 4 orHorizon: Zero Dawn may very well be when I get there :) I was so wrong. The tension, the gameplay, sound design, visuals... pure bliss. My GOTY of recent years, absolutely.

I really do hope we'll see a sequel one day. With Shenmue III & other miracles happening around I'm keeping my hope alive.

void666

Banned
It's a good game. Indeed. But it didn't click with me. The xenomorph was terrifying at first. But soon it become just a annoyance.
It went from "Oh shit, it's the alien" to "oh shit, here it comes again. Time to hide under this table".

I jumped on a sale in 2015 and played like 4 hours. Then other games came out. I may have to try it again. Nothing really jumped out saying masterpiece, though.

This thread got me to boot this game up in anticipation of the new movie. THE ATMOSPHERE OF THIS GAME. Maybe the best in any game ever, no hyperbole.

wipeout364

The game is absolutely amazing with regards to art and level design. I honestly can't think of another game based on an existing property that nails it so well. Sevastopol station feels like a real place and one that has been deserted. I love it, I love being there in the station as a huge fan of the alien movies.

That said the gameplay is overly frustrating, I never had a good sense of what the alien was doing with regards to my movements and noise, it just felt artificial and not in a good way. I never felt that way with the working joes or humans.

Despite this I think this is one of the best games of this generation of consoles. I hope Sega decides to take another crack at the franchise and lets creative assembly (one of my favourite developers) do it again.

That said the gameplay is overly frustrating, I never had a good sense of what the alien was doing with regards to my movements and noise, it just felt artificial and not in a good way. I never felt that way with the working joes or humans.

Despite this I think this is one of the best games of this generation of consoles.

This is the crazy thing about this game, and I totally agree. While the gameplay has some real misfires, the atmosphere completely makes up for it. It's to such a large degree I'm not sure there's any other game that compares.

Top Bottom