• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five

Banned
I can already tell I'll be needing to twist s few friends arms to get them to voice a few of the aliens so I can get a good variety of voice types. Effects are great, but different base voices I think will be a lot better.

How much work is it? I wouldn't mind donating to the cause! I'm super stoked about your project.

Rami just tweeted me. Wants to chat.

What the fuck am I doing? I have no clue. I just had a heart attack though. I think my artist is dead. His last 50 texts were all ":O"

Rami is just another, albeit more successful in our space, dude. Just tell him what you've been telling us. I'm confident that's what he wants to hear about.

Rami is just another, albeit more successful in our space, dude. Just tell him what you've been telling us. I'm confident that's what he wants to hear about.

Yeah but it's a huge surprise. I had a few other notables throw down some knowledge from up high so I feel incredibly humbled.

Fuck. I'm excited that like... 3 of you are interested in anything I do haha!

Blizzard

Banned
I had to google it, but I am guessing Rami Ismail is the person in question, of the Vlambeer game studio (Ridiculous Fishing, Super Crate Box).

friken

How much work is it? I wouldn't mind donating to the cause! I'm super stoked about your project.

I'm not entirely sure yet :) I'm still on the learning curve myself and haven't tried to get anyone else to record something. Once I get a workflow and system down, I'd LOVE to take you up on the offer to help the cause! I really only spent a few minutes recording the test dialog I posted videos of -- but hours trying to get settings right, playing w the hardware and software.

I'm not entirely sure yet :) I'm still on the learning curve myself and haven't tried to get anyone else to record something. Once I get a workflow and system down, I'd LOVE to take you up on the offer to help the cause! I really only spent a few minutes recording the test dialog I posted videos of -- but hours trying to get settings right, playing w the hardware and software.

If you need extra - I can bust out my trusty mic and do some Pro Tools passes for you. I am free all this month so I can squeeze in time between things to sling some voice your way.

I asked this before, but I totally appreciate why this is a thread where you need to periodically post things to really get replies (and I greatly appreciate that you guys all acknowledge me now).

I have basic understanding of music theory and I'm looking for some free/cheap music sequencing software to hash out some custom tunes. I've googled this stuff before and seen things about some kind of plugins that loads of open source software supports, but I'm really not sure where to even begin finding stuff.

Some basic synthesized samples, and a thing I can sequence a basic beat, melody and chords with is all I'm looking for. Nothing fancy required.

What do you guys recommend?

friken

If you need extra - I can bust out my trusty mic and do some Pro Tools passes for you. I am free all this month so I can squeeze in time between things to sling some voice your way.

I love you guys... really I do! No joke, this really is a great indie dev group we all have going here. As I finish sorting out the workflow and getting more dialogue back from the writer, I'll be reaching out and taking you guys up on the offer to voice an alien or two.

---

I finally got around to actually making making the code for procedural worlds. I had already sorted out the method (substances, overlays etc) but hadn't yet made the scripts that would randomize all the procedural properties. I'm not quite done but happy with the progress. So far I have almost completed the rock-world generator. Here are a handfull of random outputs from it:

procplanet1.JPG

and links for the others so I don't have a massive post:
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet2.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet4.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet5.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet3.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet6.JPG

friken

I asked this before, but I totally appreciate why this is a thread where you need to periodically post things to really get replies (and I greatly appreciate that you guys all acknowledge me now).

I have basic understanding of music theory and I'm looking for some free/cheap music sequencing software to hash out some custom tunes. I've googled this stuff before and seen things about some kind of plugins that loads of open source software supports, but I'm really not sure where to even begin finding stuff.

Some basic synthesized samples, and a thing I can sequence a basic beat, melody and chords with is all I'm looking for. Nothing fancy required.

I'm far from a music pro but a while back I toyed with mixcraft. It seemed pretty good and has a pretty functional demo version. I think the cost is also pretty low to purchase. It seemed like garage band for windows to me. My son who is really into making music uses FL studio. To me it looks like a much harder to use and figure out package, but likely a lot more powerful.

For basic and free with not a whole lot going on - can't beat:
https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/

Kritz

Banned
on the topic of Rami, I'm really glad I went to as many of his panels as I did for AusPAX. It's doofy to say, but I came away having a lot more confidence in my game after speaking with him briefly, and that was kind of a significant moment in me deciding where to go with the development. So that dude's pretty cool by me.

iY0dJ4d.gif

And now you can throw food at people for some reason

Kitbash

As a fairly rabid lurker of the previous OT, I'm going to make it a New Year's resolution to contribute more often. It's usually just easier to read up on everyone else's projects and then hurry back to work...

I'm still plugging away on my turn-based love letter to X-Com & Firefly, Kitbash. Progress has been painfully slow lately as I'm trying to replace all of the placeholder objects and have gone way out of my depth. Definitely not enjoying this stage of development!

tl3ik9G.jpg
gD91emz.jpg

Anyone feel confident enough to commit to releasing their game before we hit OT3? :)

Noogy

Awesome, new thread!

I've shipped (and reshipped) the same game in '12, '13 and '14. Hopefully this will be the year I release something new!

cbox

on the topic of Rami, I'm really glad I went to as many of his panels as I did for AusPAX. It's doofy to say, but I came away having a lot more confidence in my game after speaking with him briefly, and that was kind of a significant moment in me deciding where to go with the development. So that dude's pretty cool by me.

iY0dJ4d.gif

And now you can throw food at people for some reason

Your gifs always bring a smile haha, this is great!

Das-J

Law of the West
As a fairly rabid lurker of the previous OT, I'm going to make it a New Year's resolution to contribute more often.
This right here - Especially since we can now OFFICIALLY be counted among you!

Here are some shots from our Kickstarter page for Into the Stars

94a43df56c4d1fdc69fc2de4c7eeac87_large.png

8af10aa0cbf0493482f66899a41f48be_large.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Embedded 16+MB GIFs have made their return, hope nobody is using Chrome or a mobile device in here. :p

(The game looks nice though)

"Edit: This reminds me. How in the heck did I miss audio?"

Don't worry, everyone forgets about audio in indie game land, they just go buy some stock sounds to dump into their game after feverishly searching for an amazing artist or hotshot programmer.

And yes, let's chill on the gifs.

Clickteam Fusion never gets any love. It's what I've been using since I was like, 15. It has its quirks, but I like it just the same.

I find the event system to be virtually incomprehensible compared to the likes of Construct 2 and other systems like Playmaker in Unity or UE4's Blueprint, and last I checked, you have to basically copy-paste every bit of code for each scene, which is ridiculous. Construct 2 is basically superior in virtually every way anyway. MMF2/Clickteam Fusion isn't terrible, but it's pretty much obsolete compared to everything else these days.

Kritz

Banned
I wouldn't mind some hard and fast rules on GIF posting. I try to keep my own filesizes reasonable (<5mb per 100 posts), but I'm not sure how well that scales to chrome users or australians.

All the same though, looks great Das-J! Me and a friend were talking about the game last night. Makes me really want to go and prototype a few ideas I've had for a spaceship traveling game. Something along the lines of... desert bus, but with... cable management. And flashing red lights.

Five

Banned
I'm using Chrome and it's handling the sexy gifs like a champ, but I agree with Kritz that some formalized guidelines or even rules for size and frequency would probably be helpful.

Popstar

"Edit: This reminds me. How in the heck did I miss audio?"

Don't worry, everyone forgets about audio in indie game land, they just go buy some stock sounds to dump into their game after feverishly searching for an amazing artist or hotshot programmer.

And yes, let's chill on the gifs.
What are the chances of getting the management to support Gfycat? I could even provide code.

That kind of thing you'd have to ask Evilore directly. I don't even know the viability of such a forum software modification to say whether it's something that's possible or not.

kamakazi5

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.prawnbox.aballstale

So my friend has ideas that he wants to get into game design so I said I would help him out with a project. The outcome is a balls tale, and android game which is linked above.

I'm no super coder, and I'm definitely no artist but I thought it would be good for him to see through a project and realise how much is involved before diving in deeper than he can swim.

Its a fun puzzley type of game, touch controlled with google play leaderboard integration.

Any feedback on the game mechanics and level design itself would be greatly received.

Looks pretty good for a first time. Pretty fun but hard. The only thing I suggest is an option to mute the music, unless I missed it somewhere. I don't care how much I love music, I almost never keep it on in mobile games and I shouldn't have to mute my phone.

Popstar

That kind of thing you'd have to ask Evilore directly. I don't even know the viability of such a forum software modification to say whether it's something that's possible or not.
Thx. I'll make sure to mention it next time there's a forum update going on.

This is a pretty big deal for me, but I've been informed my game, Jack B. Nimble got featured by Apple on the App Store.

B6tbH9-CUAAoMHZ.png

Hells yeah!
Sweet! That's some big name company you're keeping.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not sure if I will be doing refactoring at the moment, but does anyone have best practice industry advice about this, for graphical applications or video games:

Over the Christmas break I discovered that my ancient laptop only supported up to GLSL version #110. Apparently some basic shader functions were available, but not all of the newer functions or the newer GLSL syntax. What is the best way to support different levels of drivers like this? Create and maintain different shaders (or portions of shaders) for a few different GLSL versions, and just select the correct ones when the game launches?

Popstar

I'm not sure if I will be doing refactoring at the moment, but does anyone have best practice industry advice about this, for graphical applications or video games:

Over the Christmas break I discovered that my ancient laptop only supported up to GLSL version #110. Apparently some basic shader functions were available, but not all of the newer functions or the newer GLSL syntax. What is the best way to support different levels of drivers like this? Create and maintain different shaders (or portions of shaders) for a few different GLSL versions, and just select the correct ones when the game launches?
Where possible, just use version 110. Where you want to use extra features on newer hardware you'll need to maintain multiple versions and select the correct one when the game launches.

(That is ancient. Not even OpenGL 2.1)

EDIT: I had recommended to me awhile back that the OpenGL drivers on some old integrated graphics chipsets where so bad it was actually better to use an OpenGL -> Direct3D translation library. (Which would also allow a newer GL version). I can't remember the name of the library though.

Mr. Virus

As mentioned, Reaper is a really good shout for a low cost entry into music production (I'm an Ableton user though ha ha!).

There are some alright freebies kicking around if you're needing samples too:

Native Instruments have a little freebie bundle including a version of it's Kontakt sampler. De La Mancha has a lot of cool effects and synths, and if you're needing some orchestral sounds then the Sonatina Orchestra is alright if you have little to no budget. You'll need a Soundfont player (like Plogue's) to use it.

Plogue also do some awesome chiptune plugins, and I quite like Medusa as a quick little synth to play with.

There's also the big dark abyss of KVR Audio, which comes with the caveat that because it's free doesn't mean it's worth grabbing, but it has a massive database of both paid and free effects and instruments.

Bollocks

Embedded 16+MB GIFs have made their return, hope nobody is using Chrome or a mobile device in here. :p

(The game looks nice though)

Can we please make it a rule to not embed such large GIFs?
It just crashes browsers and wastes unnecessary bandwith if you're on mobile.
I would rather like to opt in

Kritz

Banned
I got bored and started playing around with the Oculus Rift stuff in Unity. Nothing super impressive, but it's cool just to walk around and knock stuff over. I did a really dirty job of throwing in the default controller that comes with the SDK, so all my input controls didn't port over correctly. And there's some other real specific goofs I did in the code that make basically everything not work without putting in some modicum of effort.

I probably won't actually get this stuff going proper in anything anyone can actually consume, but it's a fun side activity to making a video game.

EDIT:

I'd be in favour for, all posters get to embed ~5mb worth of GIFs, or 3 GIFs (whichever is smaller) per 100p. And we see how that works out for the people suffering stockholm syndrome using google chrome.

kiguel182

Hello OT2!

The new OT is great and it's a great write-up on the current tools and state of the indie scene but just two things:

- I really don't like how coding is seen as a con on every engine that has it. I know a lot of people want things to be simple and without it but it's not simply a con. Being there just doesn't sit right with me.

- Also, it would be cool if there was a write-up on some drawing tools. It seems to be the only thing missing there.

I don't want for this to come out bad but it was just two suggestions I had about it.

I love you guys... really I do! No joke, this really is a great indie dev group we all have going here. As I finish sorting out the workflow and getting more dialogue back from the writer, I'll be reaching out and taking you guys up on the offer to voice an alien or two.

---

I finally got around to actually making making the code for procedural worlds. I had already sorted out the method (substances, overlays etc) but hadn't yet made the scripts that would randomize all the procedural properties. I'm not quite done but happy with the progress. So far I have almost completed the rock-world generator. Here are a handfull of random outputs from it:

procplanet1.JPG

and links for the others so I don't have a massive post:
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet2.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet4.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet5.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet3.JPG
http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/28/27385/procplanet6.JPG

nice planets, looks like I am also working on the same thing as you now, doing more procedural planets but I started with terran/ocean and gas giants :)

GasGiantProceduralTest2.png

so all the gas, colors and other things are procedurally generated

friken

nice planets, looks like I am also working on the same thing as you now, doing more procedural planets but I started with terran/ocean and gas giants :)

GasGiantProceduralTest2.png

so all the gas, colors and other things are procedurally generated

looking good. it is funny how much time can be put into marveling at procedurally textured spheres while thinking, 'thats not a sphere! its a planet!'. the joys of making space games :)

I find the event system to be virtually incomprehensible compared to the likes of Construct 2 and other systems like Playmaker in Unity or UE4's Blueprint, and last I checked, you have to basically copy-paste every bit of code for each scene, which is ridiculous. Construct 2 is basically superior in virtually every way anyway. MMF2/Clickteam Fusion isn't terrible, but it's pretty much obsolete compared to everything else these days.

Obsolete even compared to RPG Maker, which is listed in the OP? :p

Also the event system's easy! It's just code sorted by object, with a list of every object available to you, and filtering abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom