• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: SimCity 4 (with mods)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can you explain this? You mean that 1x2 tiles won't spawn skyscraper, and for a skyscraper to spawn it'll join 4 1x2 separated tiles?
I remember seeing divided tiles with different houses being joined to one because some high-wealth person bought them and built a mansion on them.

a 1x2 high density tile will create something like a little building. If you want skyscrapers, they will take up a 4x4 tile at the largest. If there are a bunch of little buildings that in aggregate make up a 4x4 tile, and if your demand is high enough, and if the desirability is high enough, it'll spawn a skyscraper.

Are there any misc. building packs? I grow tired of seeing the same 3 buildings in an area. I know there will be some repeats but it gets ridiculous when 6 buildings in a square are the same.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are there any misc. building packs? I grow tired of seeing the same 3 buildings in an area. I know there will be some repeats but it gets ridiculous when 6 buildings in a square are the same.

Yeah, you can go to simtropolis or SC4devotion, they got a lot of user made addons for buildings. It's a pain in the ass trying to install a lot of them, though, especially if they need a dependency pack of textures and stuff that the addon depends on to function properly.

LeleSocho

Banned
So i wanted to start to play this game again but now with mods, sadly the links in the op are no longer available someone can link them again?

So i wanted to start to play this game again but now with mods, sadly the links in the op are no longer available someone can link them again?

Actually would very much like this since I had to wipe my computer and now I have nothing left..

Would anyone be so kind to upload their files/relink if possible?

NEW LINK FOR PLUGINS COURTISY OF /R/SIMCITY

https://mega.co.nz/#!RU8i3KaJ!B8INpRCEYAtnbC28fu51j2Tta6FvAR4Tc8L88RFe_jE

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1aennp/sc4_ive_put_200_hours_into_my_region_so_far_and/

Perkel

Banned
Actually would very much like this since I had to wipe my computer and now I have nothing left..

Would anyone be so kind to upload their files/relink if possible?

NEW LINK FOR PLUGINS COURTISY OF /R/SIMCITY

https://mega.co.nz/#!RU8i3KaJ!B8INpRCEYAtnbC28fu51j2Tta6FvAR4Tc8L88RFe_jE

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1aennp/sc4_ive_put_200_hours_into_my_region_so_far_and/

This looks amazing ! I will download it. Sadly my old plugins are gone from my PC.

Perkel

Banned
i have the steam version, i still need to update the game, or i just need to install the plugins above?

Game should be on steam in latest version.

STILL

[*]- Steam users go straight for BAT Patch.

Install BAT Patch. Should be somewhere on Simtropolis or that other site in OP

Ostinatto

Game should be on steam in latest version.

STILL

[*]- Steam users go straight for BAT Patch.

Install BAT Patch. Should be somewhere on Simtropolis or that other site in OP

its working :)
how do i get those dirt country roads you have in thje OP?

thanks.

Perkel

Banned
DicksonLake-Dec26261210446993.jpg

Some people just have amazing skills...

Son1x

Meanwhile if anyone wants, here is a plugin pack and a region I made for my friend. He lost motivation to play SC4 and is too lazy to download plugins himself :D

https://mega.co.nz/#!2ZMnSY6B!WyNHsUGQ_se3bLlOxklI1Gn0PgxkSp6kjmhcja6TUdU
There is a word file in that lists all the plugins.

And here is the region:

Its also in the plugin pack, but its still unfinished there, so you can get it here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?f4nnk1ezwnwtmtw

If you want to use only the region, I recommend downloading
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=59
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=58

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Meanwhile if anyone wants, here is a plugin pack and a region I made for my friend. He lost motivation to play SC4 and is too lazy to download plugins himself :D

https://mega.co.nz/#!2ZMnSY6B!WyNHsUGQ_se3bLlOxklI1Gn0PgxkSp6kjmhcja6TUdU
There is a word file in that lists all the plugins.

And here is the region:

Its also in the plugin pack, but its still unfinished there, so you can get it here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?f4nnk1ezwnwtmtw

If you want to use only the region, I recommend downloading
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=59
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=58

I really like that region map. Lots of possibilities for coastal areas and bridges. I might just have to download it and start a new bunch of cities there.

I should post some screenies when I get my SSD back from RMA. I have a lot of addons and a crap ton of custom buildings. The modding community really made this a great game.

Perkel

Banned
OP links updated, all of them now works.

I added SimCity_1.dat which is patched with CAM fix due to serious bug in CAM that wasn't resolved

Son1x

SimCity 4 Deluxe is on sale on steam right now!

Don't know the exact price in NA, but its 2,49€ here in Europe :)

Mengy

SimCity 4 Deluxe is on sale on steam right now!

Don't know the exact price in NA, but its 2,49€ here in Europe :)

Sigh, I should buy it on Steam. My discs are over ten years old now, and the one is fairly scratched up. I hate to double dip, but it would be nice to be able to track my hours played from now on with it, lol.

Son1x

Sigh, I should buy it on Steam. My discs are over ten years old now, and the one is fairly scratched up. I hate to double dip, but it would be nice to be able to track my hours played from now on with it, lol.

I bought it despite owning a physical copy of Deluxe edition. Searching for it and changing discs is annoying and like you said, tracking hours should be fun :D

edbrat

went to steam to buy this and....forgot I already own it! What a pleasant surprise, will give this a go this weekend last SC I put any time into was 3. Must have purchased it in a previous sale but never played it.

Daffy Duck

Also from the OP, how do I do this:

Windows 7 users. Set affinity to only 1 CPU. Playing multicore can crash game.

I've just bought it on Steam.

GKB

Also from the OP, how do I do this:

Windows 7 users. Set affinity to only 1 CPU. Playing multicore can crash game.

I've just bought it on Steam.

• Open the game.
  • Open task manager.
  • Click the processes tab.
  • Right click simcity.exe (or something similar to that, i don't remember the exact name).
  • Choose set affinity, uncheck everything but CPU 0.

Mr Swine

Banned
  • Open the game.
  • Open task manager.
  • Right click simcity.exe (or something similar to that, i don't remember the exact name).

Whyred CPU 0? Whyred not CPU 3? (Fourth core)

Mengy

I bought it despite owning a physical copy of Deluxe edition. Searching for it and changing discs is annoying and like you said, tracking hours should be fun :D

Yep, I bought it last night on Steam too for $5. For as many hours as I've spent with this game, I figured why not. Plus now I never have to insert the disc anymore, and I'll never have to do the patch dance after re-installing.

• Open the game.
  • Open task manager.

Does this save the affinity or do you have to do this every time you play? I've always just put command lines in the properties of the EXE, like these:

-CPUCount:X (where X is the number of CPU cores to use) This is an important option on multi-core systems, especially if you are having crashing to desktop issues with Windows Vista or Win7. Setting to one core (-CPUCount:1) could resolve your issues. Also this can keep SimCity on one core while other processes use your other cores. This can be especially useful if you have dual monitors and want to run SimCity on one monitor while you do other stuff on your other monitor.

-intro:eek:ff This will cause SimCity to skip the long and noisy intro sequence SimCity goes through every time it starts. I think after the twentieth of starting this game we know it is by Maxis a division of EA Arts. 

-w This causes SimCity to run as a window instead of full scree, which can allow one to quickly switch to other tasks. My advise when using this toggle is to make sure the task bar automatically hides itself or it will cover up part of the SimCity window as SC does not run as a complete resizable window as other Windows programs. 

-rXXXxYYYxBB Controls the resolution and color bit mode SC runs at. Valid values for XXXxYYY are 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. Valid choices for BB are either 16 or 32. This can be handy if SimCity won't start because you set its resolution too high.

-CustomResolution:enabled Allows the use of Aspect ratios other than 4:3 to be used with the -r command above (e.g. 1360x768).

Never played Sim City in my life, but I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and played it for more than 100 hours, is the game worth it and similar to RCT, how bad is the learning curve?

Simcity 4 Lancher is pretty cool. http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/54082-simcity-4-launcher-updated-140b-r7/

You can set how many cores it uses as well as some other options unavailable to set ingame. I use it to make it run on 1 core and to get it windowed mode.

But I've only tried it non steam. My SC4 CD is still inside my PC so I haven't even installed the steam version yet.

It doesn't work with the Steam client (launching it via steam) but you can use the launcher, it'll just launch the .exe directly.

Never played Sim City in my life, but I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and played it for more than 100 hours, is the game worth it and similar to RCT, how bad is the learning curve?

It's a similar yet different kind of game. But if you like rct it's likely you'll like this as well. Building and being creative is the name of the game (along with making money) so you'll feel right at home. Learning curve isn't steep but it does take a little while to get a feel for how to grow your city. (When to put in schools, where to place industry, mass transit options, etc.)

Son1x

It doesn't work with the Steam client (launching it via steam) but you can use the launcher, it'll just launch the .exe directly.

I don't mind that, but does it still track hours on Steam?

Steam didn't do it for KoTOR when I used to do it that way for widescreen and high res.

Mengy

With the Steam version it's probably just easier to set up the command line parameters like I mentioned above in the Launch Options for the game, directly via the Steam client. That way you don't need the launcher and Steam will work normally during the game.

Son1x

Can you get other features by setting up the command line paramenters? With the launcher, I use the no intro and windowed mode. I can do without the former, but the latter is pretty much a must for me.

Daffy Duck

Do neighbourhood deals just happen out of thin air even if you have no other cities next door?

Built up a city that's poorly planned but bringing in about 5k a month. I've designed my own region now and I'm going to start off organically growing a city and hopefully grow a whole region.

In all the years of dabbling with SC4 ice never done so well. Such a steal at £2.50!

Daffy Duck

I thought that would be the case, do I need to have fully fledged city or just as long as a small settlement is established deals will be made?

Gonna play this game again but with NAM installed. I'll keep in mind of neighbors this time.

Do people try to create a variety of cities or they all just aim for high tech/$$$ ones?

Why is Perkel banned?

Mengy

Gonna play this game again but with NAM installed. I'll keep in mind of neighbors this time.

Do people try to create a variety of cities or they all just aim for high tech/$$$ ones?

I personally create a variety of cities. Usually I'll start a new region and plan out my highway and railroad infrastructure first across all the cities, then I'll pick a few spots where I will make the largest, highest pop cities I can manage. Then I'll fill out the remaining city plots with a mixture of small towns separated by tons of farmland, with the occasional industrial park here and there. And in those towns I almost always lay out the commercial and business zoning to run along the avenues and other high traffic areas.

I always strive to make the city plot border transitions look natural too. Like, in the high pop cities I'll tone down the residential zoning towards the outer border, and then in the adjoining city plot I'll match zoning style and gradually fade it into either farmlands or open areas or suburbs. Basically I treat the game like a huge model city playset with economic and RCI challenges.

I don't know if this is just NAM. Here I am growing my city to stable 30k. There are red dots of traffic on the road. The adviser says "hey it's kinda trafficked in this bit of street". I turned it into a road, then suddenly 1/4 of my roads turn road? I tried not doing anything and just let everything pass. Still the same. 1/4 of my roads suddenly turn red due to traffic? I tried building a subway, more roads, but it still goes red. I build a million roads and it still red but not as bad.

There's also this annoyhing "can't build in this network" error for places when I try to build one way roads. No idea why I can't build them in particular areas.

Getting a new computer this week and intend on modding and playing this thing to the hilt.

Will this game handle multi core performance, or will it go pear-shaped if I try that?

Son1x

I believe there is a launcher that enables 2 cores to be used, but I might be mixing games up. Its the same one that enables windowed mode, 1080p and auto saves from what I recall.

Top Bottom