• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays the SSX Series

tribal24

Banned
it goes like this to me in terms of ranking them

SSX3
SSX1
SSX Tricky
SSX Blur
SSX on tour

love this series hopefully it makes a return soon. and not this cod fest they have going on

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Does 3 for Xbox run flawlessly on the 360? I should pick that up.

I want HD version of 1 - 3. Or just Tricky and 3. Or just 3. :D

Natural

SSX 3 was the pinnacle of the series for me. I enjoyed Tricky, but SSX 3 just clicked with me on a different level.

seanoff

Natural said:
SSX 3 was the pinnacle of the series for me. I enjoyed Tricky, but SSX 3 just clicked with me on a different level.

thank god it's not just me. 3 blew me away and i had SSX, Tricky and 3 Day 1

dioxys

seanoff said:
thank god it's not just me. 3 blew me away and i had SSX, Tricky and 3 Day 1

Same way for me, even bought SSX (the original) before the PS2 was avaible over here (sweden, due to shipment problems i didn't get it until christmas)

Natural said:
For "track" racing, Tricky was best, I felt the "tracks" in SSX3 were forgettable. The free roam outside the races and the mountain races in SSX however were awesome (so was the atmosphere). I'd like the best of both from Tricky and SSX3.

Suairyu

Banned
I've always felt that the original SSX > Tricky. Pure, perfect arcade fun, right there, whereas Tricky pushed SSX into to the messy, OTT ridiculousness it later became known for. It was essentially an expansion pack for the first game, and not an expansion I felt was needed.

However, SSX 3 I did like. It had Tricky's uber tricks which I've never been that big a fan of but the open mountain, DJ Atomica and huge variety of events lifted it above any sports game I'd ever really played before.

On Tour was a nice diversion for a while, but as you were using a custom character a TON of the personality was removed. If I'm not hearing "Canadian girls kick BUTT!" after busting a sweet move, I'm not playing SSX. On the plus side, the mountain felt a ton more organic than 3's, which was either a good thing or a bad thing depending on what mood I was in given the day.

Blur... well, it just felt like a re-arranging of SSX 3, right down to some areas being identical, but still lacking a lot of the personality. A huge disappointment. Motion controls were nice, but not accurate enough for arcade precision. I felt like I had played the game before, but in a better form.

So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is:

SSX 3 > SSX > Tricky > On Tour = Blur

(Though I rank SSX 3 higher than the original, it's such a small difference in my mind. I could happily alternate between the two. Tricky is higher than On Tour and Blur only because it still had the SSX personality. As a complete package, it trumps those two, but I still think I'd be more inclined to fire up On Tour than I would be Tricky)

Or in conclusion: the personality was such a huge part of SSX and that's why I'm really annoyed by the latest SSX trailer.

Natural said:

Same here! And I even just bought and played SSX3 for the first time several weeks ago and it still looks and sounds superb and plays like a charm! I loved SSX Tricky back in the days, I don't know why I missed SSX3 then.

Whoever missed it when it was released, don't hold back now!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just played some Tricky. Pulling off massive tricks on Untracked to Finished Symphony is still godlike (as is Tokyo Megaplex)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FlightOfHeaven said:
Do any of them have military helicopters and a vague promise of guns?

Nope.

They do tend to have psychotic Canadians breaking the laws of physics though.

Melchiah

tribal24 said:
it goes like this to me in terms of ranking them

SSX3
SSX1
SSX Tricky
SSX Blur
SSX on tour

For me...

SSX
SSX Tricky
SSX3

Never played Blur or Tour, as I lost interest in the series after the 3rd one.

Suairyu said:
I've always felt that the original SSX > Tricky. Pure, perfect arcade fun, right there, whereas Tricky pushed SSX into to the messy, OTT ridiculousness it later became known for. It was essentially an expansion pack for the first game, and not an expansion I felt was needed.

I couldn't agree more.

I never really understood why they took away the zoom option after the original.

Benjillion said:
After digging around I found the launch trailer for SSX, oh nostalgia.

http://www.merqurycity.com/ssxpages/movies.html

Thank you!

Suairyu

Banned
Benjillion said:
For those of you not interested in getting the games (or can't find them nearby), I found a retrospective of the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlqOFl2UUsg

Just one man's take on the series.
That is one of the most polite retrospectives I have ever seen. Not that others tend to be impolite but... ah, y'know what I mean?

I still have SSX3. Gonna have to rebuy SSX now, as well. Could probably get all the titles I'm missing for under £10...

...fuck.

EDIT -

Oh, and goddamn was the original music in SSX so good. Preferred it to the licensed tunes in the sequels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOFvfWOazHA

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Suairyu said:
That is one of the most polite retrospectives I have ever seen. Not that others tend to be impolite but... ah, y'know what I mean?

I still have SSX3. Gonna have to rebuy SSX now, as well. Could probably get all the titles I'm missing for under £10...

...fuck.

Do it. DO EET. I need to pick up the original again.

Suairyu

Banned
HK-47 said:
Do it. DO EET. I need to pick up the original again.
Off to CEX I go... also, probably gonna want to track down an RGB SCART connector for my old PS2 now as well just so I can get the FULL AWESOME of the colours. Luckily, I still have a high quality Panasonic CRT downstairs.

Benjillion said:
For those of you not interested in getting the games (or can't find them nearby), I found a retrospective of the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlqOFl2UUsg

Just one man's take on the series.

Good stuff. This vid highlights EXACTLY why I always thought Tricky was leaps and bounds ahead of the other ones. Sure the graphics were technically better in SSX3, but they lost so much personality in the span of one game. There really was no reason they couldn't keep the BIG personalities, and lots of on track chatter between characters while also evolving the "One Mountain" concept. From the intro of Tricky alone, you could already tell, "OK, this is a game made by its characters." The intro of SSX3 has freakin DJ Atomica highlighting what's new about the game after 2 years, and the characters have absolutely no real voice in the overall product anymore. The lack of "character" was a huge disappointment to me back when I bought SSX3 day one.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Are the Gamecube ports totally fine? I played them on the PS2, and loved the series but never tried it on the GC. I'll have to get used to the GC controller, but it would be worth it.

EDIT: Noticed on IGN they gave PS2 a 9.5 and GC a 9.3. Is this because of online play?

Just installed the emulator and played a bit of SSX 3. What a game, just so good. I can't wait until I unlock Untracked so I can race down the entire mountain to the sound of Finished Symphony. I must have spent hours playing through that on split screen with my friends back in the day. :D

Melchiah

Fantastical said:
Are the Gamecube ports totally fine? I played them on the PS2, and loved the series but never tried it on the GC. I'll have to get used to the GC controller, but it would be worth it.

EDIT: Noticed on IGN they gave PS2 a 9.5 and GC a 9.3. Is this because of online play?

IIRC, it was partly due to the GC controller.

I always associate this time of year with SSX since I bought my PS2 in the fall and basically played nothing but SSX through the entire winter.

SSX3 was definitely the best one IMO.

I'm not having very good luck with SSX right now. Tricky doesn't seem to be able to get beyond the PlayStation 2 logo screen and SSX 3 keeps freezing on the peak 2 courses :( No idea what is going on, both discs look fine and no other games have been acting weird so I don't think it's the PS2...

bridegur

I'm replaying On Tour and having a much better time than when it first came out. My biggest complaints are that the graphics feel like a bit of a downgrade from SSX3 and I have no idea if I'm actually progressing in the career mode. Does it have three separate peaks, or is it all the one map that you see from the start?

I bought SSX Tricky the other day. It's so awesome replaying it. Alaska and Tokyo Megaplex are so awesome.

I also played On Tour again, and like the Wii game Blur, it feels so empty compared to Tricky and 3... No voices, limited music and sound effects. While the game itself is fun, it feels lifeless and devoid of charm. Even though the new Deadly Descents looks like it might disappointingly take a more serious direction, I'm very confident the game won't be empty feeling and charmless like On Tour and Blur.

Gav

Due to all the talk about new SSX, i craved some classic SSX.

Found a copy of SSX3 on XBox for £4!

Been playing the hell out of it. Love it to bits. Surprised how well it holds up. Gameplay is still amazing, i love it to bits. Courses and setup are all still great, and the graphics still look good too! Aside from the black bars when playing it on the 360, it still looks great.

£4 well spent.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I actually reviewed SSX Tricky for Gaming-Age way back when and gave it the highest praise possible. Played the shit out of it and unlocked pretty much everything at the time. Mastering perfect runs and maintaining constant combos channeled the classic Tony Hawk endless grind feel, which was so satisfying. Still the best entry in the franchise I'd argue. A great improvement over the original(which is also quite good).

SSX3 was a great follow-up and I love the concept of the mountain, but it was a chore to maneuver between events and all the collectibles/mini-challenge hunts strained the 'pureness' of the course runs.

Brandon F said:
SSX3 was a great follow-up and I love the concept of the mountain, but it was a chore to maneuver between events and all the collectibles/mini-challenge hunts strained the 'pureness' of the course runs.
It's funny... Because SSX 3 was my first SSX, I felt that Tricky was missing a lot of content. It didn't matter though, because I never did the minigame challenges/collectible hunts in 3, so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I just bought SSX 3 for PS2.

I don't have a PS2.

I just needed to have it.
Maybe I will luck out at Target and get a $70 PS2

gokieks

SSX was the game that made the PS2 worth owning at launch. Tricky is,and remains the pinnacle of the series. And of the extreme sports genre.

Tokyo Megaplex is SO good.

3 was pretty decent, bust lost quite a bit of Tricky's charm.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Finally got a PS2 to play SSX 3 on. My god this game is just as good as I remember it. Now I want Tricky as well.

I'm playing as Nate. I never played as him before, and he seems kind of generic. Zoe or Mac will probably be my next character.

soultron

Banned
Fantastical said:
Finally got a PS2 to play SSX 3 on. My god this game is just as good as I remember it. Now I want Tricky as well.

I'm playing as Nate. I never played as him before, and he seems kind of generic. Zoe or Mac will probably be my next character.
Mac was my default in every game to feature him.

Also, more SSX3 ups. Screw the haters. It's my favourite. Most people put Tricky over it because they didn't like the mountain travelling.

It's like people who fast-travel in RDR instead of enjoying the ride on their horses. You've just gotta chill and enjoy yourself, mannnn!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Two games I had on my PS2 that had people in my dorm room playing 24/7 - GTA3 and SSX Tricky.

I literally went to sleep with people there playing the game overnight and my door wide open. I still held the record for highest score, not only because I was a badass at the game back then (THAT'S RIGHT BITCHES), but because I glitched on one of the levels and shot super high up in the air while I was in tricky mode and hit on something like 4 or 5 specials in a single jump.

Top Bottom