• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays the SSX Series

celebi23

So, with all of the negative reactions about Deadly Descents (I refuse to call the SSX right now) I thought I'd create a topic about the previous SSX games. What is SSX you ask?
SSX (series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Snowboard Supercross (more commonly known as SSX) is a series of snowboarding and skiing (added in On Tour) published by EA Sports BIG. It is an arcade-style racing game with larger-than-life courses.

256px-SSX_box_art.jpg

Name: SSX
Platforms: PlayStation 2
Release date: October 30, 2000 (NA), November 24, 2000 (EU)

SSX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
SSX (Snowboard Supercross) is the first in a series of snowboarding video games published by EA Sports BIG. It was the first game to be published under the brand, which specializes in extreme sports titles with an unrealistic or arcade feel. As such, the game's exaggerated jumps, highly decorated mountain runs and improbable tricks make it a classic example of an EA Sports BIG title. It was developed by EA Canada and released with the launch of the PlayStation 2 on October 26, 2000.

It was widely regarded by critics as one of the best PS2 launch games, thanks to its depth, gameplay and graphics. The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences awarded SSX with 5 awards, including "Console Sports Game of The Year" and "Racing Game of The Year". The Executive Producer and creative leader of SSX was Steve Rechtschaffner, who was also the inventor of the now Olympic snowboard event called Boardercross, which served as the inspiration for the game.

SSX_Tricky.jpg

Name: SSX Tricky
Platforms: PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, Game Boy Advance
Release date:
GameCube: November 5, 2001, November 30, 2001
PlayStation 2: December 2, 2001 (NA), July 12, 2002 (EU)
Xbox: October 31, 2002 (NA), June 14, 2002 (EU)
Game Boy Advance: October 31, 2002 (NA), November 1, 2002 (EU)

SSX Tricky - MobyGames:
SSX Tricky is EA's follow up to SSX. Tricky features far more storytelling than the original through the use of personality attributes. Rivalries develop between characters with opposing attributes, causing them to act more aggressively towards each other during races. The übertrick system adds a whole new layer to the game. These tricks are much tougher to pull off, but give you a nice boost. Performing six übertricks in a row results in a super übertrick, which rewards you with a bigger boost and causes Run DMC's "It's Tricky" to play.

Seven tracks return from the original accompanied by brand-new Garibaldi and Alaska tracks. The returning tracks contain up to four times as many shortcuts and hidden lines. Six of the eight riders from the original return (Jurgen and Hiro suffered off-season injuries) and are joined by six new ones. The soundtrack will feature mixes by Mix Master Mike, Aphrodite, and the Plump DJs. DVD-like bonuses include "behind-the-scenes" footage and a "making of" segment.

SSX_3_Coverart.png

Name: SSX 3
Platforms: PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, Game Boy Advance, Gizmondo
Release date:
Consoles: October 20, 2003 (NA), October 31, 2003 (EU)
Game Boy Advance: November 11, 2003 (NA), November 21, 2003 (EU)
Gizmondo: September 22, 2005 (EU), October 22, 2005 (NA)

SSX 3 - MobyGames:
Shred the slopes of the world's biggest mountain - at least in the SSX world - as you attempt to become the greatest snowboarder of all time. Unlike the previous two entries in the series, you must venture around the mountain, completely free to do what you wish, in order to find challenges and races to compete in.

There are a variety of events to compete in, from your usual all-on-all race through courses, scattered with obstacles and huge jumps to perform wacky tricks, plus there's a half pipe to bust tricks, and there's plenty of challenging tricks to master, and items to grind to gain bonuses. Plus, you can ride the entire mountain whenever you like, either to practice moves or learn all the bumps and corners for the big races.

With challenges and races comes rewards, and along with trophies and medals to fill up your gallery you can also win cash prizes to purchase new items, improving your board or improving your image. The more you race the more experience your chosen character receives, leveling up your abilities and improving your technique, plus even more wild tricks to perform.

SSX_on_Tour.jpg

Name: SSX on Tour
Platforms: GameCube, PlayStation 2, PSP, Xbox
Release date:
Consoles: October 11, 2005 (NA), October 21, 2005 (EU)
PlayStation Portable: October 11, 2005 (NA), October 28, 2005 (EU)

SSX on Tour - Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia:
SSX on Tour is a snowboarding video game, the fourth title in the SSX series of video games for the GameCube, PlayStation 2, PSP and Xbox. The game was developed under the working title SSX 4. It was released in North America on October 11, 2005 and was released in the PAL region on October 21, 2005. The PSP version was released in the PAL region on October 28, 2005. Unlike its predecessor SSX 3, On Tour isn't currently backwards-compatible with the Xbox 360.

The GameCube version contains Mario, Luigi, and Princess Peach as playable characters. This was part of a deal Nintendo had with EA Sports to have Nintendo's intellectual properties appear in EA franchises.

The PSP version also differs greatly from the main console versions, with limited customization to custom-characters. It also has omitted the use of bonuses on the special "Monster Tricks".

256px-SSX_Blur.jpg

Name: SSX Blur
Platforms: Wii
Release date: February 27, 2007 (NA), March 15, 2007 (AUS), March 16, 2007 (EU)

SSX Blur for Wii (2007) - MobyGames:
SSX Blur is a snowboarding / skiing game with gameplay similar to SSX 3. Once again there are three mountain peaks to explore; the main game is a career mode which initially begins on peak 1, to unlock the remaining peaks you'll need to successfully complete events. The events you'll find on the mountain include races, slopestyle competitions, big air events, assorted challenges, and more. Also available is a quick play mode where you can jump straight to some events and multiplayer modes.

As you make your way down the mountain you can perform a variety of tricks; these can be simple grabs, or tougher jumps, rail slides and spins. A successful trick will fill up your groove meter; once the groove meter is filled, you can perform an ubertrick. Ubertricks are the toughest tricks to pull off, but earn the most points. In addition to ubertricks, the groove meter can also be used for a speed boost. The game is played with both the Wii remote and the nunchuk. The nunchuk is utilized for accelerating/braking, carving, grabs, and jumps while the remote is used to perform flips, spins, and other tricks. Performing tricks requires tilting/moving the Wii remote in the appropriate direction, and ubertricks may additionally require drawing various shapes with the remote. Many ubertricks are available initially, however additional tricks need to be unlocked.

As you race down the mountain you'll encounter various collectibles; by running into enough of these icons you can unlock additional ubertricks. Using the Wii remote you also have the ability to throw snowballs, an ability which can prove useful in races by slowing down your opponents; you'll need to be careful though to make sure you don't knock yourself off balance!

The game features a variety of characters you can control, many have appeared in other games in the SSX Series while a few are new to this game. Only a few characters are available initially, others will need to be unlocked by progressing through the games career mode.

Can't wait for the new SSX just announced because it does look fun. Going to pop in some Tricky when I get home. Been hankering for SSX for awhile as I'm heading back up to the mountains this Christmas and wanted to do some stuff that I'll never be able to do in real life. :lol

1 - 3 were all awesome. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a really good SSX in a long time. This new game looks to continue the downward trend. Which is probably unfair of me to say, but the trailer made me go "WTF is this shit?!?" and didn't get me excited in a ghood way. Hoepfully they prove me/us wrong.

SSX3 is in my top 3 PS2 games.

I have my old PS2 plugged in almost exclusively for SSX3 (which doesn't play on software BC PS3s).

On Tour can blow me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Racing down from that big mountain all the way to the bottom in SSX 3 will always be one of my favorite moments in gaming from last generation. Seriously, it was an incredible feeling. It took like 30 minutes to race down. Just fucking awesome.

SlickVic

Back in the day I played a lot of SSX1 and Tricky, skipped 3 (for reasons I can't remember), played On Tour (didn't really get into it), and never played Blur since I don't have a Wii.

Think I might just hunt down a used copy of SSX3 to play over my break next week and see what I missed there.

-viper-

Banned
On Tour sucked.

SSX 1 was the best. The best music, the best tracks. It was pure awesomeness.

I can't remember how SSX 2 or SSX 3 were like. It's been too long. SSX 1 has been the only memorable one for me.

celebi23

Neuromancer said:
I would, if Tricky was back compat on the 360. =\

You guys have fun though.

This is why there NEEDS to be an SSX HD collection. Hell, even include Blur with standard controls.

Melchiah

1npyZ.jpg

I'd love to play that one again, but it seems it doesn't work well with the partly backwards compatible EU PS3. I tried it once, and after I had played a track it froze during the hi-score screen. Has that happened with anyone else? It pisses me off, as it's the only SSX I still like to play (the same tracks in Tricky are messed up + it lacks the zoom option), and I don't have a PS2 anymore.

Bought SSX at PS2 launch. Loved it.

Bought SSX Tricky day one. Loved it.

Bought SSX 3 day one.

IT BLEW ME AWAY. Far and away my favorite of the series.

Bought SSX On Tour day one. Can suck it.

Bought SSX Blur day one. Meh.

SSX Deadly Descent, you say, eh? Will be THE FIRST time I don't buy an SSX game at launch. I rarely ever rent games, but I'll be renting that one for sure. Not playing around, I am NOT a fan of the look of this.

SlickVic said:
Back in the day I played a lot of SSX1 and Tricky, skipped 3 (for reasons I can't remember), played On Tour (didn't really get into it), and never played Blur since I don't have a Wii.

Think I might just hunt down a used copy of SSX3 to play over my break next week and see what I missed there.
SSX3 was great because you could start at the top of the mountain, just snowboarding freely, then choosing which events you wanted as you approached them via divergent paths. (Though you could also just choose them in a menu.) Not to mention just being able to go all the way down a huge mountain in one go. Awesome.

But there was also something to be said for Tricky's "pick an event and go," type setup, trying to master each course. And they were a bit more over the top than SSX 3's more grounded courses. I love both games equally because they each bring something new to the table.

And of course the original was awesome, but as the series progressed I found it hard to go back to it. Still, a great kick off to a great series of games. On Tour was just blah. It's kind of hard for me to remember much about it, but I remember being bored with it. And that the skiing didn't add much to the mix.

Oh, also another SSX-like game of the PS2 era:

2zhprmc.jpg

Hylian7

I need to get a hold of Tricky, it's my favorite game in the series and I never owned, just rented it 341234312423 times back in the day.

Helmholtz

I really liked Tricky, never really got into 3 but it seemed pretty solid as well.
Look at the fucking box-art on tricky :lol

celebi23

Hylian7 said:
I need to get a hold of Tricky, it's my favorite game in the series and I never owned, just rented it 341234312423 times back in the day.

I need to play this again You know what? I'll even hook up the GameCube for old time's sake :D

Ourobolus

Banned
So, I only played SSX on PS2 and nothing else. What would be the best entry to get into? I loved the hell out of SSX, just never picked up anything else (though I did play whatever the snowmobile game on PSX was...that was actually really fun). Hahaha. :lol

Durante said:
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r1888-2009-10-01cbpu.jpg[/img
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r1888-2009-10-01nxal.jpg[/img
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r1888-2009-10-01oa4a.jpg[/img

Should really play this again.[/QUOTE]
Everything looks fatter than I remember

Durante

_dementia said:
Everything looks fatter than I remember
If you're implying that the aspect ratio is wrong: it's not. Or rather it is, but only for the GUI elements. Like many games of its time, the 16:9 mode in SSX3 adjusts the 3D AR but simply stretches the GUI.

DonMigs85

Durante said:
If you're implying that the aspect ratio is wrong: it's not. Or rather it is, but only for the GUI elements. Like many games of its time, the 16:9 mode in SSX3 adjusts the 3D AR but simply stretches the GUI.
I don't remember the HUD elements being stretched in my GameCube version as long as you set it to 16:9.

Durante

Actually the 2 replay shots do seem to be scaled a bit strangely, but it may just be how the game handles the replay camera. I'll look into it when I play again.

Diablos

I loved the first SSX. Tricky was an improvement in some ways but for some reason I found the very first one to be my fav.

SlickVic said:
Nice, where'd you find them that cheap?

Funcoland.

I can't find a local game shop in San Francisco.

I didn't get them all in original cases. The best case was SSX, Tricky was a GH, and 3 was a slip of paper. I kind of want to make a custom case for the series, kind of like a mini tribute.

Tricky is definitely the game for SSX fans, but I still think the original game is the best. Hitting Untracked for the first time was incredible.

Top Bottom