• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Reads Stephen King's It

I was curious how the adult sections would hold up or be as scary compared to the kid parts, but given how things in the book are going now, the adult only movie could be a pretty dark thriller + supernatural psychological horror, compared to the Spielbergian adventure of the kid's story

jelmerjt

Just ordered the book. Film tie-in edition. Only 6,92 euros lol. What a steal.

8C1FZCt.jpg

Picked it up at the store. I'm a slow reader so hopefully I get it done before the movie lol
I don't even remember the original movie. Don't think i saw it completely

TrutaS

Coincidentally I've started reading last week, so I'm joining you all. Book is taking a while to actually start but the build up so far has been gripping enough.
It just actually started narrating the beginning of Ben's childhood
so I'm about a tenth in.

MCN

Banned
I was kinda hoping this would be something where members of GAF record themselves reading a paragraph of the book, then they all get stitched together for the ultimate audiobook.

Meia

If you're like me and don't have much time to read but drive alot/are able to listen to things at work, the audiobook for this is only 43 hours long! :p

Dineren

Banned
Does the book go into much detail about IT's history with Derry or just gloss over it? I'm kind of more interested in that than anything else.

Does the book go into much detail about IT's history with Derry or just gloss over it? I'm kind of more interested in that than anything else.

Every other chapter or so, there is an interlude that tells a story about Derry's past. There are also parts during the main story where the characters learn about past events in the town

One of my favorite aspects of the book is how Pennywise is framed. There are so many stories told from the point-of-view of the children, and then we also get stories of events in Derry's past. And with these stories, there are many that will go through page-after-page-after-page of some event for you to understand Pennywise's influence only at the very end. It was a bit of a tease for me because I turned every page waiting for more Pennywise, and King can keep you waiting until the last minute of a story. But I absolutely love it.

8/12 Update: Chapter 5
Bill Denbrough Beats the Devil

We start this chapter with adult Bill heading back to the states reminiscing about his childhood & his sweet bike "Silver". He's a big fan of The Lone Ranger. I know the movie takes place in the late 80's so I wonder how relevant The Lone Ranger is in the decade, but I guess its not too much of a stretch if he's a fan of re runs of the tv show & movies. Anyways, we now see the events from the Bill's eyes of Ben's dangerous encounter with Henry. Eddie the (not really) sickly kid gets punched by Henry and has an asthma attack so Stuttering Bill saves the day by jumping on his bike and rushes to the clinic for Eddie's (fake) medicine.

"Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"

King has a way of writing nostalgia, I remember getting my bike as a kid and it being a huge event as I'm sure most 30 somethings do. When I wasn't playing my snes I was riding my bike all the time.

The biggest thing that happens here is Bill, Ben & Eddie start to become friends. :)

We get a horror scene just before the chapter closes. I had to listen to this part twice because I wasn't sure if Bill was imagining things. One of the photos in Georgie's album comes to life and speaks to Bill, and Bill promptly throws the thing away from him...and the photo album begins to bleed. That ain't normal.

FunkyMonk

Apologies if it has already been asked, I have been wanting to read this but I can only seem to find a Spanish Kindle version on Amazon UK. Anyone know what the deal is? Or if there is a link to the English version?

I got the English version with audible narration from Amazon UK for my kindle app, I think it was first on the list.

O a side note I'm impressed by the whispersync thing, makes it so easy to seamlessly swap between audio and print.

So far I'm up to young Mike going to the iron foundry ruins and this book is so much better than my memories from 20 years ago, the level of detail he goes into for even minor characters is fantastic.

Finally finished the book

The final confrontation in both eras felt kind of weak and anti-climatic, after all the build-up, and the sex part was as weird as everyone said.

But the epilogue after that was surprisingly emotional, and I dont usually get emotionally invested in books. But after how well King built up and established their friendship, everything they went through, and then in the end, going their separate ways and the slow forgetting of it all was a really sad gutpunch.

But overall, It is easily my favorite SK book now. So many memorable moments and characters, a truly insidious and fascinating villain in It, and the pacing never felt slow or boring; for such a huge sprawling book, you're driven to learn what happens next, how characters will meet, or what horrific thing It will do next, or how events transpires, or learning more about Derry's history, or seeing the friendship grow

Daffy Duck

This is the front cover I have...the other ones are awesome but aren't an option when i bought it.

Vybk7Cf.jpg

So far I am upto Chapter 5 - Bill Denbrough Beats the Devil

It's a really good book.

Finally finished the book

The final confrontation in both eras felt kind of weak and anti-climatic, after all the build-up, and the sex part was as weird as everyone said.

But the epilogue after that was surprisingly emotional, and I dont usually get emotionally invested in books. But after how well King built up and established their friendship, everything they went through, and then in the end, going their separate ways and the slow forgetting of it all was a really sad gutpunch.

But overall, It is easily my favorite SK book now. So many memorable moments and characters, a truly insidious and fascinating villain in It, and the pacing never felt slow or boring; for such a huge sprawling book, you're driven to learn what happens next, how characters will meet, or what horrific thing It will do next, or how events transpires, or learning more about Derry's history, or seeing the friendship grow

That seems to be a fairly common sentiment but I found the final confrontation,
the ritual of chud, and everything involving the turtle to be fucking incredibly memorable. I think part of that is having had experience with hallucinogens, in a weird way that whole segment felt like a vivid written portrayal of an Ayahuasca trip.

Picking it up from the library tomorrow. Between GAF and the movie and Bloody Good Horror book club reading it next month....figured that was enough excuses to dive in.

I was thinking of reading this, but i'm not sure I would get through it all in time for the movie. Is it the sort of book where I could just read the first half (kid section) first? Or do the timelines run concurrently or something?

Garlador

I was thinking of reading this, but i'm not sure I would get through it all in time for the movie. Is it the sort of book where I could just read the first half (kid section) first? Or do the timelines run concurrently or something?

They mingle back and forth. There is no "kids" section or "adult" section. They're interspersed as the book jumps back and forth throughout the past and present.

It's a thick book but it's actually a fast read. It's easy to get through, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Just started rereading this today. I love Stephen King, and generally think he's a good writer. I had to put down the book and go show a sentence of his to my wife just now because it is the clumsiest sentence I've ever read from an author I respect:

That night, lacking roughly six months of being twenty eight years from the day in 1957 when George met Pennywise the clown, Stanley and Patty had been sitting in the den of their home in a suburb of Atlanta.

Anyway, love this book, and am enjoying the reread. I'd forgotten all about the hate crime stuff in the second chapter.

8/13 update: Chapter 6
One of the Missing: A Tale from the Summer of '58

Here we get sort of a history lesson about the missing children during late 50's, Ed Corcoran being the mine focus. Some dark stuff with his abusive father, him killing Ed's younger brother and Ed running away from home. It goes from a history lesson to a horror scene showing what really happened to Ed Corcoran. He first encounters his died younger brother grasping at his feet and then the creature from the black lagoon appeares, which catches up with him and gruesomely ripes Ed's head off. Ouch.

Then we see Mike Hanlon as a young boy who plays in the woods frequently and finds Ed's old knife and a bloodtrail, but before we get anymore of that, we flashback and observe Mike and his loving relationship with is father, total opposite of Ed Corcoran'a father. Mike goes playing & exploring at the old iron work grounds, which has its own dark history. Mike stubbles upon a giant bird monster and it chases him into a collapsed smoke stack. Mike & his father apparently watched "Rodan" a few days before, so "it" is a giant bird now lol

So far "it" has been:
A Clown
A Mummy
A Photo album?
Dead children
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Giant Bird

And I'm only on chapter 6

Anyway, Mike escapes the bird creature and it returns to the day he finds the knife and blood trial. He feels like he's being watched and gets out of the there.

i'm finally on chapter 3. haven't had time to read.

what sucks is that as i'm reading i'm trying to create the scene in my head but at the same the movie is in my head as i'm trying to remember was it like that. so it's hard for me to concentrate.

Been reading it for months now. I've loved it and am less than 100 pages away from finishing. I love how everything flows together so well. The town, the past, the present. Really has been an excellent read and I'm hoping to finish it tonight. Does anyone have any recommendations, Stephen King or otherwise, for a good horror book to follow this one up with? I'm new to the genre and looking for more.

8/15 update: Chapter 7
The Dam in the Barrens

We're in Eddie's shoes now and the boys are building a sweet dam in the barrens and Ben is leading the way. Stan & Richie show up and the crew is almost complete. Bill begins to tell them the story of his bleeding photo album and Ben & Eddie also share their stories. Something's not right in Derry.

Eddie's story is probably the scariest thing in the book so far. "IT" appears as a Leper Hobo that lives under the 29 Neibolt Street. Such great horror here, super creepy. hope this is in the movie(only 4 weeks away!)

GhaleonEB

My copy arrived today. I'm going to read one chapter each night. I might not post each night, but I'll keep on reading.

A few spoilery thoughts, to the extent that you can spoil the first chapter.

I had forgotten entirely that Georgie has very clear premonitions of both It and the Turtle (prompted by a can of Turtle wax, of all things). I don't remember a lot from the ending other than not really understand it, but it's neat to see these references so early on.

The asymmetric information about Georgie's fate, where we are told of his impending death well before it happens, makes his interactions with Bill instantly heartbreaking. I'd also forgotten how quick and vividly portrayed Georgie's encounter with It is. It's over in less than two pages, but those are two tense, utterly brutal pages.

In a way, the first chapter is an encapsulation of how I remember the book: strongly drawn characters I care about and to whom terrible things happen, an evocative and somewhat insidious town they inhabit, and a fascinating, utterly brutal antagonist.

I last read the book ~20 years ago or so. Really interested to see how my vantage point now - the same age as the adult characters - has shifted how I feel about it.

Been reading it for months now. I've loved it and am less than 100 pages away from finishing. I love how everything flows together so well. The town, the past, the present. Really has been an excellent read and I'm hoping to finish it tonight. Does anyone have any recommendations, Stephen King or otherwise, for a good horror book to follow this one up with? I'm new to the genre and looking for more.
I recommend The Stand, uncut and Different Seasons, both by King. For something different, I suggest The Great And Secret Show by Clive Barker.

I love King so much, he's my favorite author. Sadly haven't been able to go back on getting hooked to reading books yet. I was reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, what a slog.

I'm currently about to start chapter 11 and am halfway through.

The Henry Bowers chapter was very effective specifically his conversation with it. That was a pretty big reveal and changes whenever Bowers will be involved in later chapters. I almost started to get a little fatigued with the chapters dedicated themselves to mainly one specific characters encounter with Pennywise, luckily those encounters are memorable enough to keep the pace up.

One of the more chilling chapters was Mike's encounter with the bird along with Bev revisiting her childhood home. Just the way Pennywise gradually revealed itself by the woman slowly changing her appearance was dread inducing. Time for more I suppose.

Re: final battle

I thought it was awesome. It is a psychic battle with a cosmic horror. So cool.

So much better than the tv series

Garlador

My copy finally arrived. I had hit the end of my 100 page trial version on Nook. Grabbed a physical paperback to continue from.

GhaleonEB

I'm midway through the third "chapter", which is really six chapters welded together. I'm basically reading one or two sections each night, so this will take a while. :lol

When I was younger, I didn't really understand the purpose of chapter 2. Chapter 1 introduced us to Bill, a little bit of Derry as a setting, and most importantly to IT. Chapter 2 was like a side story that reminded us that IT was still there in present day, but it seemed like a long method to do that.

I don't know why chapter 2's purpose didn't grog onto me before, because it's pretty obvious now that it's there to introduce us to Derry. Specifically, the rot that permeates Derry, and the blind eye the adults there turn to it. It's about how IT can do what it does and get away with it for so long. And just in case I didn't grog onto it before,
one character stright up says Pennywise IS Derry. It's not a nice town with a bad secret. The entire town is a bad secret.

The first chapter established a narrative method King has used in every segment and chapter so far: he tells us what happens, then builds up to it. I can't remember if he does this throughout the book, but by the time I finished the section about Beverly's call from Mike (complete with it's oddly specific and random sex description
["sliding into Beverly was like sliding into some exotic oil" - alrighty then]
), I've already grown weary of it.

I'm again taken by how much depth King is imbuing the characters' lives with. A ~15 page segment ends, and I feel like I know them already.

Re: final battle

I thought it was awesome. It is a psychic battle with a cosmic horror. So cool.

So much better than the tv series
It was so much better than I thought it would be based on what I'd heard. Curious how they will portray this in the film.

The final act as a whole was awesome, especially the way the characters and timelines blended together. Plus the last interlude and epilogue were genuinely touching.

Dead Man

Nice thread. I'm finishing up my pre-movie read and enjoying the book just as much as I always do. Some of my favorite aspects are when Mike interviews Derry old-timers and slowly uncovers more and more of the town's ugly history. Utterly engrossing stuff.

I appreciate what the scene is trying to do thematically, though I think it could've been accomplished in another way. But I don't think the controversy is just because kids have sex; at least for me, what makes it extra uncomfortable is that
it's a bunch of boys taking turns on one girl, and that this is portrayed as an unequivocally good thing.

But I agree that it is part of the book and can be discussed without hyperbole; it's a tiny fraction of a huge book and in no way diminishes the experience of reading it.

Re: Your spoilers.
I think it's more one girl taking turns with boys, the power dynamic is definitely with Beverley. From memory she is the one who encourages some of the boys who are not sure about it.
But it's been about 20 years since I read it, so I'm off to grab my copy and start now.

Reading this for the first time as well; currently at ch. 8. I've only seen bits and pieces of the TV miniseries, so no real knowledge of the story going in.

Really enjoying the pacing and narrative framing so far, with each chapter essentially told from a different Loser's perspective and continuing the overall story. It/Mr. Bob Gray/Pennywise is definitely one of the creepiest villains in fiction, and readers only being given brief glimpses of him in the story adds tremendously to his presence.

Also gotta say, as outright scary as some of the chapters involving It are -- especially the leper from 29 Neibolt Street -- for me, Bev's introductory sequence in ch. 3 has been the most intense, edge-of-my-seat section yet, thanks in large part to King taking Tom's POV for the majority of the scene, and going into (grotesque) detail about how he intends to "discipline" Bev for smoking.
Reading about movie monsters coming to life and killing kids is creepy on its own, but real-world horrors like that can be especially hard to read.

I've just started this for the first time, always been interested in the book and haven't seen the miniseries. Also my first Stephen King novel, lol.

Up to Chapter 3, it's very creepy. I also like the idea of starting in 1957, it shows just how that first murder affected the entire town of Derry. Slightly confused as to the learning the characters names so far, but I'm sure I'll get used to it lol.

Top Bottom