• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Share your encounters with Young Earthers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, last night I talked to a Young Earther at work...I've known this girl for awhile, and I know she's super-Christian, was home-schooled by her father who I've seen perform a "verbal smack-down" on Facebook to disprove evolution, and Conservative, even referring to herself as an anti-feminist and quoting Rush Limbaugh jokes, so I wasn't too surprised she turned out to be a Young Earther.

What really got me is that she was actually well-educated when it came to religious texts...she hadn't just read the Bible, but had also read the Qu'ran and Book of Mormon, in order that she could choose whichever religion made the most sense to her. That was honestly refreshing, I guess, since many super-religious people unfortunately ignore any other religious text outside of what the media tells them. Because of that, I thought that she might be opened minded when it comes to creationism but, boy, I was wrong, and it was a bit frightening when she began to talk about Young Earth so earnestly.

Basically, the main thing I learned that, prior to the Great Flood, it had NEVER rained. Ever. There was a giant water basin floating above the atmosphere where all the water was stored, and, in addition to this, it blocked out the sun's radiation preventing cancer thus everyone lived to 900-years old. I'm no science major, but I felt that, you know, nothing could survive if it never rained. Apparently, though, condensation never existed back then either so the land was super moist and stayed that way.

It was pretty "0.o". I mean, it wasn't the craziest explanation I've heard, but this was the first time I've met a Young Earther in real life. The "never rained before the Great Flood!" was the weirdest part, though, because I think even a child still understands the importance of rain to life.

But I'm really interested in Young Earth stories you guys have heard first-hand. I don't mean for this to turn into a Religion mock thread, though, because I consider Young Earthers separate from more scientific-minded Christians.

Watch Da Birdie

Wow, never heard of the Recent-Past Water Cycle Deniers. Learn something new every day.

Yeah, I was aware of the idea of a "water vault", since the Flood story mentions God breaking it, but I always figured that it had, prior to that, Creationists still thought that water fell through at a much slower pace.

"You see, no one believed Noah about the flood because it had never rained before...thus, they didn't have any concept of rain."

Steelrain

I just found out a friend of mine was a Young Earther. I pretty much just laughed because I though he was fucking with me.

Then he got serious.

Once I realized he wasn't fucking around....I laughed even harder.

imtehman

Banned
i heard about this story about where billions of billions of years ago something came out of nothing.

Crazy i know.

Watch Da Birdie

OP will FHUTA the girl in the OP.

Haha, I know this came out like a "I have a passive-aggressive crush on this girl" but trust me, this girl is repulsive both inside and outside. The traditional "I'm fat because God wants me to be!" Christian.

I actually think the fact she studied religion so intensively removes my previous belief that her father was responsible for her corruption, as now I realize she believes in this AFTER doing research.

Do all Young Earthers believe that water crap?

I've never heard that one before.
Me either, but it's on Wikipedia...atleast the idea of a water canopy. I see nothing about an absence of rain PERIOD pre-Flood, which was the main bothering point for me.

relaxor

what?
Yes, thanks for this Watch Da Birdie, it's pretty interesting:
http://www.kjvbible.org/firmament.html

My interpretation is that the Old Testaments suggests that there is water above the sphere of visible outer space. This corresponds with the Egyptian belief that when Pharaohs die they get on a boat to sail through heaven.

Orayn

My science teacher in seventh grade derailed our entire class for about three weeks for an "evolution" unit that was nothing but her showing us Kent Hovind videos and providing a "balanced" view of the topic. Being the skeptical little shit that I was, I challenged her on this at every turn, eventually getting my parents involved and sorta twisting her arm to stop the nonsense earlier than she had initially planned. This was at a Catholic school, but none of my other teachers were like her. On the contrary, my eighth grade science teacher at the same school was a huge inspiration to me and part of the reason I'm pursuing my current major.

Watch Da Birdie

Even though I live in Virginia, which has a pretty hefty amount of Religious nuts (Liberty, for one), I've never encountered any science class during any year of school where I had a Creationist teacher.

Even when I was a little kid and still a Christian, I thought that God, Evolution, and Old Earth co-existing was theologically acceptable, and I never ran into any of the "dinosaur lived with man" nonsense outside of the Flintstones.

Pollux

My science teacher in seventh grade derailed our entire class for about three weeks for an "evolution" unit that was nothing but her showing us Kent Hovind videos and providing a "balanced" view of the topic. Being the skeptical little shit that I was, I challenged her on this at every turn, eventually getting my parents involved and sorta twisting her arm to stop the nonsense earlier than she had initially planned. This was at a Catholic school, but none of my other teachers were like her. On the contrary, my eighth grade science teacher at the same school was a huge inspiration to me and part of the reason I'm pursuing my current major.
Huh, never heard of that crap at a catholic school since we aren't literalists but I guess they do exist somewhere. Sorry you had to deal with her instead of doing cool middle school science like when "biology" meant chilling with the pet boa. I miss middle school science class.

i heard about this story about where billions of billions of years ago something came out of nothing.

Crazy i know.

I heard this story about how those shiny things in the sky are actually balls of gas that are enormously large and burn for billions of years.

It's kinda stupid, really. Doesn't make sense on a basic level.

Emitan

I've actually heard a surprising amount of good thins about science programs in Catholic schools. Not that I ever would have been caught dead in one.

Watch Da Birdie

My family are coming for graduation this week, I need to see if they're Young Earth, I've never asked.

My grandparents are super-Christian, and my mother is becoming a born-again-Christian (due to me, unfortunately), so I can't wait to see when I ask them. :(

Haven't met Young Earthers precisely, mostly people unaware of the scope of time on the universe due to low levels of education. And they were all kind on being informed. 2 JW's ladies that came teach my mother actually came a few times just to watch documentaries we had in VHS about the universe and dinossaurs.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
A former boss of mine was a young earther. I was talking randomly about the awesomeness of space (it's awesome, y'know?) and how much we'll evolve over the next million years as we populate the milky way and he mentioned how he didn't believe evolution.

Long story short, he said he didn't believe the dinosaurs went extinct, he believes that there used to be more oxygen on the planet so things lived longer, which explains why reptiles got so big (dinos) and why humans used to live 600 years. Now that's there's not so much oxygen, the dinosaurs just don't grow as big.

He home schools his children.

Watch Da Birdie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of non-Young Earthers speculate that Earth could have had a richer supply of oxygen in the past?

I've heard that before when it came to explaining the idea of giant bugs and such in the past.

Korey

tumblr_lykars1qFW1r3jsrko1_1280.jpg

The human race is in a constant state of shitting the bed. Imagine where we'd be as a species if we actually used are brains properly. It boggles my mind.

Long story short, he said he didn't believe the dinosaurs went extinct, he believes that there used to be more oxygen on the planet so things lived longer, which explains why reptiles got so big (dinos) and why humans used to live 600 years. Now that's there's not so much oxygen, the dinosaurs just don't grow as big.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of non-Young Earthers speculate that Earth could have had a richer supply of oxygen in the past?

I've heard that before when it came to explaining the idea of giant bugs and such in the past.
That is pretty funny since it is the EXACT OPPOSITE of reality. There used to be very little oxygen since oxygen rapidly combines with stuff. (Fire, rust, etc.) The plants created most oxygen in the atmosphere today by liberating it from other molecules they needed.

Where the fuck did he get the idea that oxygen makes things big or live longer? Is that from Michael Jackson in his hyperbaric chamber?

He home schools his children.

:-(

Orayn

The human race is in a constant state of shitting the bed. Imagine where we'd be as a species if we actually used are brains properly. It boggles my mind.

To be fair, more people are better educated and more scientifically literate than ever before. The persistence of unscientific nonsense like creationism is still troubling, but things aren't really getting worse.

There is a web site dedicated to collecting quotes on such things. . . . Fundies Say The Darndest Things:
http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteArchives.aspx?Archive=1

One of my favorites went something like this "Without any external source of energy, the laws of thermodynamics say that entropy always increases. Therefore evolution is impossible according to the second law of thermodynamics!"

Uh . . . .

way more

With bugs yes, because they don't have lungs. Instead they have pores all over their bodies that bring in air. A giant bug today would be unable to absorb enough oxygen.

The leading theory is that ancient bugs got big because they benefited from a surplus of oxygen in Earth's atmosphere. But a new study suggests it's possible to get too much of a good thing: Young insects had to grow larger to avoid oxygen poisoning.

During this time, the rise of vast lowland swamp forests led to atmospheric oxygen levels of around 30 percent—close to 50 percent higher than current levels.

According to previous theories about insect gigantism, this rich oxygen environment allowed adult bugs to grow to ever larger sizes while still meeting their energy needs.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...t-insects-bugs-giants-oxygen-animals-science/

But like the quote says, oxygen doesn't make things live longer and can have the opposite effect, it's quite a destructive element.

jehuty

At my Job there is this guy there who is actually pretty smart, around 23 years old, was home schooled, and comes from one of the super christian families that actually believes that having sex is only for procreation (he has 17 brothers and sisters). I like to engage him in debate because one, work is boring, two, I like to know peoples positions on things, and three, I like to come to a new understanding of things if possible.

So this guy knows a little about me but he knows that i'm an atheist, and I can tell this bothers him greatly. He would always try to debate me about the Bible even though I'd tell him that Christianity as well all religions can bring peace to people who have faith in them, and that I certainly don't have a problem with religion as long as you don't try to force me or the public at large to accept your religion as the truth (sorry, its not). So I debated him on the Bible and some of the stories which are contained in them. It was through this that I found out he was a young earth creationist.

The guy explained how scientific dating of things are incorrect and that the earth is around 4000-10000 years old. Evolution is wrong and everything in the bible is correct. Know mind you, this guy is pretty smart and I certainly wanted to put him in a position that would make him realize how wrong he was so I simple asked him "If the earth is as old as you say it is, how can we see stars?". He knew right away what I was inferring and I could tell it pissed him off (doesn't help i had a shit eating grin on my face). He then went and quoted some astronomer who says earth is surrounded by a "gravity well" and that time is slowed down and that is why we see stars that are supposedly millions if not billions of years old.

Needless to say, I didn't let him escape with that flawed logic and actually pressed him quite a bit about my question. Truth be told, I'm kinda sad I pressed him a about it because I could see that he was actually starting to question his beliefs. I still debate him about stuff but he hardly brings up his religion into the mix anymore. Its weird because I can tell he knows he is wrong about his young earth creationists beliefs but he won't drop them either.

To be fair, more people are better educated and more scientifically literate than ever before. The persistence of unscientific nonsense like creationism is still troubling, but things aren't really getting worse.

And it is truly amazing how we are merely matter that has learned to reflect upon itself and learn so much. I think that intelligence is truly a rarity and probably one of the factors in the Drake equation that really reduces the potential of finding stuff with SETI. I'm pretty sure there is other life out there but I think intelligent life may be so rare that we may never find any others. Well, I seriously doubt we will find any in my lifetime (but I do think we should look).

Canuck76

Banned
Not to interrupt the atheist wank-fest, but i did watch a video one time that used the time distillation theory (farther distance time slows down) to theorize that this was why the earth was young.

Even not being interested in science there was already a clear flaw of million of years having to distillate and that being such an amazing distance that it's just not theoretically possible.

krioto

Not to interrupt the atheist wank-fest, but i did watch a video one time that used the time distillation theory (farther distance time slows down) to theorize that this was why the earth was young.

Even not being interested in science there was already a clear flaw of million of years having to distillate and that being such an amazing distance that it's just not theoretically possible.

OK - stop the thread - this guy watched a video....

Orayn

It is not an "atheist wank-fest" to state that the world is not 6000 years old. Most Christians don't even believe that.

I can't comment on your second sentence because I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Dilly

Banned

Being a complete idiot about this subject doesn't mean you have to be an atheïst.

"atheist wank-fest". :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom