• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Share your encounters with Young Earthers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Abiogenesis must be equated to other forms of faith so that they may have some validity. Let's forget the entire sciencey background to the theory, it is entirely faith based when you forget that.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Not evading, just can't remember although I'm sure a link will popo up if it were important.

Here you go. This was posted. Then you slunk away only to return five days later when the coast had cleared.

I have to be honest. You have an incredible reputation--one of the most unanimous reputations I have ever seen on GAF--of being disingenuous. You've got a negative tag over your reputation from some admin (I have no idea who, long before my time I'd assume). People have stated it in this thread, in response to nothing--you literally have posters spontaneously announcing that you're not worth talking to because of your reputation. marrec is making this claim about you right now, just a few posts above. Clearly your reputation distracts from conversation in the thread.

The perception is that you enter a thread, you make a claim (often of the form "[[some] liberals/atheists] are incorrect in <x> way."), and when called on your claim, you rejigger your claim and say "That's not what I meant, this is what I meant" or do not reply at all--effectively, being slippery or coy or evasive or disingenuous.

I'm not saying it's true. I'm not saying it's fair. I go out of my way as a moderator to more harshly crack down on people who post stuff about peoples reputations than I do on the people who have the reputations, because I believe that everyone deserves a chance. I don't want posters to feel like their reputation prevents them from getting a fair shake when they post. Everyone deserves to be heard.

Now, imagine that after hearing of your reputation, someone enters this thread.

What they see is:
- You make a claim of the form "some atheists are incorrect in <x> way"
- I respond to it asking you something to substantiate it.
- You reply that I have misinterpreted your claim and restate it in a different way
- I apologize for reading your claim incorrectly, do my best to assess it again, and I ask if I have read your claim correctly this time. I go out of my way to make sure I am reading your claim correctly BEFORE I actually discuss whether or not I agree with it.
- You reply saying "I said what I meant" and "Be my guest to read more into it thought", essentially making it impossible for me to discuss your claim with you because you won't confirm whether or not I understand the claim to begin with.

Imagine yourself as this third party reader who has never seen you post, but knows you by reputation. And they enter this thread. Do you think they'd be likely to agree with the description I posted above of your reputation, or disagree with it, based on how you've presented yourself?

I assume you do not intend to come off as disingenuous or coy or evasive or trolling. So it's obviously a case where people aren't fairly perceiving the real you. That's OK, it happens to me sometimes, and it can be really frustrating. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here--why do you think people feel you are like this? How do you think people should read your posts differently to come to a different conclusion about you? What kind of tone and what kind of words should people use when they're responding with you to get what they consider is a more satisfying discussion out of things?

You don't have to respond to this if you don't want to. I just feel like I'm doing my best to give you the benefit of the doubt and you're really not helping me and I have no idea what else I can possibly do at this point to try to empathize with your perspective in conversations or when trying to moderate a thread.

JGS

Banned
I'm trying to help you figure out how to read evidence.

1: Go to national database of scientific articles.
2: Search for topic being discussed.
3: Read results and learn.

What content from my link helps strengthen your views? Did you read any of the linked articles?
I know how to research, but thanks bookworm. Not sure what any of this has to do with anything, but thank you again.
Log4Girlz said:
Abiogenesis must be equated to other forms of faith so that they may have some validity. Let's forget the entire sciencey background to the theory, it is entirely faith based when you forget that.
So based on "sciency" background, one can prove things unscieitifically? Interesting theory you got there...

Is life begets life too unsciency?

JGS

Banned
Here you go. This was posted. Then you slunk away only to return five days later when the coast had cleared.
With all due respect to Stumpapakow, why would I slink away from that? You had the ability to look it up now why not present it to me then or PM constantly to force me to respond?

Dude Abides

Banned
With all due respect to Stumpapakow, why would I slink away from that? You had the ability to look it up now why not present it to me then or PM constantly to force me to respond?

Only you know why you turned tail and disappeared. I only know that you did so. You seemed to have forgotten it, or were pretending to, so I thought I'd help you out.

Log4Girlz

I know how to research, but thanks bookworm. Not sure what any of this has to do with anything, but thank you again.So based on "sciency" background, one can prove things unscieitifically? Interesting theory you got there...

Is life begets life too unsciency?

When you look at the fossil record, and analyze all the evidence, yes, making such an assumption when ignoring the scientific evidence is unsciencey. But you keep on Truckin' JGS, abiogenesis is just like the bible dog, its got the word genesis in it.

Raist

Banned
How many times are you going to use the same argment based on nothing? Who is refuting the existence of experiments to prove abiogenesis? Who?

It your eyes that are wide shut.
Prove it.

Hold on, I'm refuting existing experiments in order to prove abiogenesis? Wut? What experiments out there disprove it exactly? I'm curious.

It's funny that you accuse people of being evasive when you're not one who keep claiming (whether or not it's the current topic) that abiogenesis is BS and that we'll never ever know how life arose. Yet you never, not a single time, explained your reasoning behind this claim. And keep comparing it to a 100% unprovable religious belief.

So, I'll just humor you and provide you with a link to start your study of the subject. Work your way from that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg&list=PL0696457CAFD6D7C9&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Warning: this very link has been given to you time and time again. Never saw you properly comment on it. I guess you didn't have time or something.

Log4Girlz

I wonder what experiments are being conducted to prove there is a god and it created everything. They must be epic in scope and funded by all the major religions.

They must be Log...they must be. I wonder why scientists are even bothering with any experiments to prove the fundamentals of their assertions about abiogenesis...I mean, its from faith right? lololol

[/crazy rant to myself]

marrec

Banned
JGS isn't interested in an honest debate and until he is there is no point in trying to 'prove' to him the merits of abiogenesis because he will simply pick up his goal posts and eithe[r] move them, or go home.

Log4Girlz

JGS isn't interested in an honest debate and until he is there is no point in trying to 'prove' to him the merits of abiogenesis because he will simply pick up his goal posts and eithee move them, or go home.

He is the ultimate judge of scientific merit.

Raist

Banned
They must be Log...they must be. I wonder why scientists are even bothering with any experiments to prove the fundamentals of their assertions about abiogenesis...I mean, its from faith right? lololol

[/crazy rant to myself]

Maybe they're getting good money for it.
lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom