• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How worthwhile are the various media players?

I ask because its getting annoying having to encode videos to DVD format, then burn them as actual DVDs, whenever my housemates or I want to watch a video file I have on my computer. Especially since I hate Nero's quality of DVD encoding.

My blu-ray player sadly doesnt have a USB port and the LCD itself will only read images and music, not video. I know the Wii can do this, but since the signal will be 480p I was wondering if its worth doing.

Is playback smooth? Are there compatability issues?

Hieberrr

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I cannot seem to get the new revisions of USB Loader GX to work. The channel I installed (for the loader) is an old revision but it seems to work perfectly fine with the exception of Wii Sports Resort which is getting the 001 Error (How do I fix this?). SO I was wondering why I can't seem to get the new revisions to work, because everytime I boot it up, it cannot find my drive and it asks if I want to use IOS 249 or 222. Both give me errors, and then code dumps :(

mugwhump said:
Delete your homebrew and send it in!
I have no homebrew installed at all. Only the Daigassu Channel which is an official Nintendo Channel but not for Europe :lol I installed it trought some tool with the TL-Hack 2(?) years ago.

I just want to know if my Wii counts as "hacked" this way :(

Clipper

Hieberrr said:
I've been out of the loop for a while, but I cannot seem to get the new revisions of USB Loader GX to work. The channel I installed (for the loader) is an old revision but it seems to work perfectly fine with the exception of Wii Sports Resort which is getting the 001 Error (How do I fix this?). SO I was wondering why I can't seem to get the new revisions to work, because everytime I boot it up, it cannot find my drive and it asks if I want to use IOS 249 or 222. Both give me errors, and then code dumps :(

Solution: Use Configurable instead. GX is incredibly unstable and things get broken every other version.

To fix Wii Sports Resort, update IOS249 and then make sure you play the game normally to make sure the MotionPlus video is not coming up (watch the MotionPlus video to completion if it does) before playing the game via USB.

Hieberrr

Clipper said:
Solution: Use Configurable instead. GX is incredibly unstable and things get broken every other version.

To fix Wii Sports Resort, update IOS249 and then make sure you play the game normally to make sure the MotionPlus video is not coming up (watch the MotionPlus video to completion if it does) before playing the game via USB.

YES! Thank you! After using the loader for a few minutes, I LOVE it already! :D

Just one question though, is there anyway to default the game selection in list format as opposed to the default cover flow?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's in the config file

benita

Banned
I'm trying to convert from WBFS to FAT and i'm having trouble. I've followed the wiki and i'm close but it's not happening for me.

First, I extracted all of the ISO's using WBFS manager to a folder on my comp.

I've extracted wbfs_file and navigated to it with the command prompt.

However, when try to run "wbfs_file pname ls" I get an error.

my pname is C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\Wii

So i'm entering this exact string:

wbfs_file C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\Wii Is

Am I doing something wrong?

Dalthien

What's the general consensus on SDHC cards these days?

I know early on, there were a number of homebrew apps that didn't always work well with anything greater than 2GB. Has that been ironed out now? Are homebrew apps and bootmii stable with SDHC cards now, or is it still preferable to stick with 2GB cards?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dalthien said:

I know early on, there were a number of homebrew apps that didn't always work well with anything greater than 2GB. Has that been ironed out now? Are homebrew apps and bootmii stable with SDHC cards now, or is it still preferable to stick with 2GB cards?
I don't even use a SD card anymore. I just use a FAT partition on my HDD.

Clipper

benita said:
I'm trying to convert from WBFS to FAT and i'm having trouble. I've followed the wiki and i'm close but it's not happening for me.

First, I extracted all of the ISO's using WBFS manager to a folder on my comp.

I've extracted wbfs_file and navigated to it with the command prompt.

However, when try to run "wbfs_file pname ls" I get an error.

my pname is C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\Wii

So i'm entering this exact string:

wbfs_file C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\Wii Is

Am I doing something wrong?
I wouldn't trust WBFS Manager. From the troubleshooting I've done for people, it often seems to insert errors when doing mass transfers. I suggest simply following the instructions in the tutorial as that will just extract all the files on your drive to .wbfs files which you copy back onto the drive once it is FAT formatted. Much easier than going via .iso if you ask me.

Dalthien said:

Most SDHC cards work, but they still do have less compatibility than SD cards.

benita

Banned
Clipper said:
I wouldn't trust WBFS Manager. From the troubleshooting I've done for people, it often seems to insert errors when doing mass transfers. I suggest simply following the instructions in the tutorial as that will just extract all the files on your drive to .wbfs files which you copy back onto the drive once it is FAT formatted. Much easier than going via .iso if you ask me.
Ok cool. So is this what I should enter?

wbfs_file F Is

Or is it F: or F:\

Sorry I know this is basic

Clipper

benita said:
Ok cool. So is this what I should enter?

wbfs_file F Is

Or is it F: or F:\

Sorry I know this is basic
As the instructions specify, F: should be good, but the first command is ls, not Is.

benita

Banned
Alright almost there. Everythings good except somtimes when my wii is off, the hdd continues to spin.

It's a 320gb passport and I would expect the led light to be on as it's still plugged in but it continues to hum long after I power down my wii.

Any solution other than unplugging the hdd?

d+pad

(Probably stupid) question for anyone who can answer: My HD is WBFS formatted. Can I use it with Configurable? I thought I could, but whenever I try to use the version I've downloaded (not the current one, admittedly), it won't load my games and tells me to format the drive (or create a partition). Am I missing something, or does Configurable only load FAT-formatted drives?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mine is WFBS formatted and I have no issues. Well, actually, I have a 25GB FAT32 partition, but all of the games are installed on the 450GB or so WBFS partition.

Clipper

d+pad said:
(Probably stupid) question for anyone who can answer: My HD is WBFS formatted. Can I use it with Configurable? I thought I could, but whenever I try to use the version I've downloaded (not the current one, admittedly), it won't load my games and tells me to format the drive (or create a partition). Am I missing something, or does Configurable only load FAT-formatted drives?
You probably have the partition setting saved in settings.cfg. Take a look in there and delete it, or replace it with WBFS1 if so.

d+pad

Thanks much, Clipper! It's working now :)

Edit: Sorry, one more question for you. I want to install a forwarder channel and use my Configurable USB Loader that way, but before I do so I have a question related to that part of your Wiki. It says to install ios249 first, but I *think* I did that in the past. Is there any way for me to check to see if that's the case?

Thanks!

Clipper

d+pad said:
Thanks much, Clipper! It's working now :)

Edit: Sorry, one more question for you. I want to install a forwarder channel and use my Configurable USB Loader that way, but before I do so I have a question related to that part of your Wiki. It says to install ios249 first, but I *think* I did that in the past. Is there any way for me to check to see if that's the case?

Thanks!
Yes, you do have it as it's also needed for Cfg (well, not 100% needed, but I made it compulsory in the GWHT for convenience). However, it is a good idea for you to update it if it's been a long time since you did the previous installation. Instructions for upgrading IOS249 are also on its page.

d+pad

Clipper said:
Yes, you do have it as it's also needed for Cfg (well, not 100% needed, but I made it compulsory in the GWHT for convenience). However, it is a good idea for you to update it if it's been a long time since you did the previous installation. Instructions for upgrading IOS249 are also on its page.

Thanks again, Clipper!

wiprunner

Thanks for this thread Clipper.

I now have the homebrew channel on my Wii now just need to read up on the sections of using USB loader with a hard drive.

Clipper

I realised I haven't done an update on Cfg lately, so here's a rundown of the major features of some of the recent versions that you may not have heard about yet:

• Hermes' IOS v5 support
  • New cheat engine (Brawl+ now playable)
  • Per-game play logging choice
  • Asian font support for titles and translations
  • Button remapping (map virtually any feature of the loader to any button)

Mejilan

Wow, kick ass. Comments over at the GBATemp official thread led me to believe it wasn't going to happen at all. Neato.
And it works with CIOS222-mload again! I knew there was nothing wrong with my installation.
BTW, sorry I never got back to you about the fat version of the dol. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with my Wii until tonight, and I see that the issue was already fixed.

Edit - Amusingly, I tried to download the cheat files for SSBB using 54a2, but the loader says that there are too many cheats to display and fails to show 'em! :lol

Clipper

Mejilan said:
Wow, kick ass. Comments over at the GBATemp official thread led me to believe it wasn't going to happen at all. Neato.
And it works with CIOS222-mload again! I knew there was nothing wrong with my installation.
BTW, sorry I never got back to you about the fat version of the dol. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with my Wii until tonight, and I see that the issue was already fixed.

Edit - Amusingly, I tried to download the cheat files for SSBB using 54a2, but the loader says that there are too many cheats to display and fails to show 'em! :lol
You need to get the precompiled cheat file, I think. The text-based engine hasn't been changed to accept larger sizes yet.

TunaLover

Hi, I have a problem, it seems like Shiren The Wanderer uses a new updated IOS(s), can't figure out which it is though (disc update). I still can launch the game through Gekko, but I want launch it faster through the disc channel. I'm on 4.2, I though I could run without problems with this one a little longer -___-U

Edit: I saw the Disc Update partition with WiiXplorer folder "0//sys_" and those are the IOS I missing right now.

Disc Update IOSs----------------IOS installed on my Wii
IOS12-64-v12---------------------IOS12-64-v269
IOS13-64-v16---------------------IOS13-64-v273
IOS14-64-v263-------------------IOS14-64-v520
IOS15-64-v266-------------------IOS15-64-v523
IOS17-64-v518-------------------IOS17-64-v775
IOS21-64-v525-------------------IOS21-64-v782
IOS22-64-v780-------------------IOS22-64-v1037
IOS28-64-v1293------------------IOS28-64-v1550
IOS31-64-v3092------------------IOS31-64-v3349
IOS33-64-v2834------------------IOS33-64-v3091
IOS34-64-v3091------------------IOS34-64-v3348
IOS35-64-v3092------------------IOS35-64-v3349
IOS36-64-v3094------------------IOS36-64-v3351
IOS37-64-v3612------------------IOS37-64-v3869
IOS38-64-v3610------------------IOS38-64-3867
IOS53-64-v5149------------------IOS53-64-v5406
IOS55-64-v5149------------------IOS55-64-v5406
IOS56-64-v4890------------------IOS56-64-v5405
IOS60-64-v6174------------------IOS60-64-v6400
IOS61-64-v4890------------------IOS61-64-v5405
IOS9-64-v521---------------------IOS9-64-v778

I want to know what of this IOS I need install to run the game, and what of those I need DOP IOSiffy, the way that make the purest semi update possible.

tenchir

Anyone tried out wii64 that was just released? Don't want to pull out the N64 from my closet to make a performance comparison, but I think Perfect Dark on wii64 is a bit slower from what I remembered.

I didn't see anything of this on the OP; but is there a homebrew solution to playing Gamecube games not using a memory card or GC controller? I bought F-Zero GX for $5 yesterday; but the (crappy third party) Gamecube controller I have has a horrible dead spot making the game unplayable

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
tenchir said:
Anyone tried out wii64 that was just released? Don't want to pull out the N64 from my closet to make a performance comparison, but I think Perfect Dark on wii64 is a bit slower from what I remembered.

A bit? The game chugs and flips out with just one bot in the combat simulator. Its still a long way from properly functioning.

Clipper

Nazgul_Hunter said:
I didn't see anything of this on the OP; but is there a homebrew solution to playing Gamecube games not using a memory card or GC controller? I bought F-Zero GX for $5 yesterday; but the (crappy third party) Gamecube controller I have has a horrible dead spot making the game unplayable
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that.

TunaLover said:
I want to know what of this IOS I need install to run the game, and what of those I need DOP IOSiffy, the way that make the purest semi update possible.
I suggest you just update them all. You're already on 4.2, so there should be no danger in updating any of the IOSes.

However, I think the update it is asking you for is the boot2 update, that no amount of IOS updating is going to avoid. Did you try the Avoid Updates Method yet?

tenchir

EatChildren said:
A bit? The game chugs and flips out with just one bot in the combat simulator. Its still a long way from properly functioning.

You enabled framebuffer texture? Perfect Dark is one of the few games that really benefits from having it enabled.

You going to need to take a look at the comments section for the recommended settings for each game because the compatibility list is not updated yet.

TunaLover

Clipper said:
However, I think the update it is asking you for is the boot2 update, that no amount of IOS updating is going to avoid. Did you try the Avoid Updates Method yet?

Yep, I'm just a little afraid of startpatch, how many IOS it hacks?

EDIT: Success!!! it was the Boot2v4 that prompted the update =P. The update was ultra fast, like 3 seconds :lol. Now I reainstalled Bootmii =P

Clipper

TunaLover said:
Yep, I'm just a little afraid of startpatch, how many IOS it hacks?

EDIT: Success!!! it was the Boot2v4 that prompted the update =P. The update was ultra fast, like 3 seconds :lol. Now I reainstalled Bootmii =P
It only hacks the system menu IOS.

And you do realise that the boot2v4 update is the part which caused the whole '4.2 is bricking Wiis' scare. Then again, the chances are extremely minor if they do exist. I don't think anyone on GAF has been bricked (and definitely nobody with homebrew has been bricked according to this thread). Maybe I should just remove the warnings in the FAQ...

Sagitario

Clipper said:
It only hacks the system menu IOS.

And you do realise that the boot2v4 update is the part which caused the whole '4.2 is bricking Wiis' scare. Then again, the chances are extremely minor if they do exist. I don't think anyone on GAF has been bricked (and definitely nobody with homebrew has been bricked according to this thread). Maybe I should just remove the warnings in the FAQ...

There were at least 1 or 2 users with bricked consoles here, I definitely remember reading it...

mooooose

How do I set up SMB sharing on my Wii with MPlayerCE? All I know is, I'm sharing from my laptop and I'm sharing an entire external HDD, and I need to edit some sort of SMB.conf file.

What do I put?

Clipper

Sagitario said:
There were at least 1 or 2 users with bricked consoles here, I definitely remember reading it...
Bricked by the 4.2 update, though? If so, I'm almost certain they didn't mention it in this thread.

There have been a fair share of cIOScrap bricks and Korean region-altered bricks mentioned, but I haven't seen a report of the 4.2 update brick on GAF (I'd love to be proved wrong, just to know that it can happen).

TunaLover

mooooose said:
How do I set up SMB sharing on my Wii with MPlayerCE? All I know is, I'm sharing from my laptop and I'm sharing an entire external HDD, and I need to edit some sort of SMB.conf file.

What do I put?

Open the smb.conf and edit it

Code:
#Samba share1  (smb1:/)
ip1=192.168.0.1   <--your IP, check it with cmd
share1=name      <--your shared folder name (if your folder name have spaces put "name name" with " ") 
user1=mooooose  <--your user name sesion
pass1=12345     <--pass word only if your folder is protected with password

Windows 7 needs configure another security parameters, I don't remember it right now, though. Tell me if you use Windows 7 to search it =)

EatChildren

Hey dudes, whats the current status of the Prime Trilogy and compatability with backup loaders? I remember it being assy, but whats the state now? Do you still need to use alt-dols or is it all smooth?

Mejilan

There's not likely to be any real solution, at least any time soon.
Just play the games off the disc.

EatChildren

Mejilan said:
There's not likely to be any real solution, at least any time soon.
Just play the games off the disc.

Yeah, I'll have to. The damn USB loader has made me paranoid about using disks :lol. I had to make another copy of Galaxy today and I wasn't impressed.

GaussTek

Hello guys, I have problems getting a FAT partition to work.

I've installed the Hermes cios 222 v4, as instructed in the wiki.

I've used the fat version from CFG USB Loader v53. However when I start the app, seems it tries to mount my SD card (it shows FAT32 mount: SD at the top of the screen). It starts counting trying to mount the drive but without success. I've checked the cfg file and the default device is usb (device = usb).

Now, when I try the normal version (CFG USB Loader v53) defaulting to a WBFS partition, it detects that I have the wrong partition and prompts me to choose the FAT1 one. After I do it, it detects the game I've installed correctly. However, when I try to launch it, it freezes at the following msg:
"base: ios 38 mload v4.."
and the game doesn't run at all.

If I try to add "partition=FAT1" and "ios=222-mload" to the cfg and run the normal version, it does the same as the fat version. As stated, the default loader detects the fat partition and installed games after I choose it manually (but the game doesn't run).

The USB device works fine with a WBFS partition.

Any ideas what could be wrong? (if you need more info just tell me).

Thanks.

Edit. Posted on temp too :p

Clipper

GaussTek said:
Hello guys, I have problems getting a FAT partition to work.

I've installed the Hermes cios 222 v4, as instructed in the wiki.

I've used the fat version from CFG USB Loader v53. However when I start the app, seems it tries to mount my SD card (it shows FAT32 mount: SD at the top of the screen). It starts counting trying to mount the drive but without success. I've checked the cfg file and the default device is usb (device = usb).

Now, when I try the normal version (CFG USB Loader v53) defaulting to a WBFS partition, it detects that I have the wrong partition and prompts me to choose the FAT1 one. After I do it, it detects the game I've installed correctly. However, when I try to launch it, it freezes at the following msg:
"base: ios 38 mload v4.."
and the game doesn't run at all.

If I try to add "partition=FAT1" and "ios=222-mload" to the cfg and run the normal version, it does the same as the fat version. As stated, the default loader detects the fat partition and installed games after I choose it manually (but the game doesn't run).

The USB device works fine with a WBFS partition.

Any ideas what could be wrong? (if you need more info just tell me).

Thanks.

Edit. Posted on temp too :p
The reason why it is defaulting to WBFS at startup is that you have at some stage saved that setting to settings.cfg, which has priority over config.txt. Go and edit that file or save the global settings again after choosing the FAT partition and it will default to the correct partition.

The Fat Mount: prompt is simply telling you where the loader is being loaded from, which I assume is the SD for you.

Now, the only other problem is that it seems your IOS is not working properly. Use AnyTitle Deleter (the link and some instructions for it are on the IOS249 page) to delete the current IOS222 and IOS223. Then reinstall via the Hermes' IOS page again. That should hopefully get things working.

Fireflu

Ok, I feel like an idiot right now, cant get a few of my emulators working. I just updated the homebrew channel and each of the emulators and now I am met with an error message/blank screen when trying to load them up...

I checked the browser and noticed this:

23iytuc.jpg

Any help would be vastly appreciated! Im kind of freaking out that I may not be able to use the software anymore and im worried about doing something wrong (can you tell im new at this!)

BTW ive tried deleting and installing on the channel.

Fireflu said:
Ok, I feel like an idiot right now, cant get a few of my emulators working. I just updated the homebrew channel and each of the emulators and now I am met with an error message/blank screen when trying to load them up...

23iytuc.jpg

Any help would be vastly appreciated! Im kind of freaking out that I may not be able to use the software anymore and im worried about doing something wrong (can you tell im new at this!)

the one with the question mark have update from what I know. I will one day get back to home brew. Last 4.2 scared the shit out of me so deleted the whole thing. :lol

Clipper

Fireflu said:

http://i49.tinypic.com/23iytuc.jpg

What is the error message?

Use the Homebrew Browser to try to update them and see what happens.

Mejilan

Hey Clipper, have you ever considered trying to whip up some version of Configurator that runs from the Wii itself, via the HBC? I was just wondering if that was even feasible... at least for tweaking some of the less critical settings.

Top Bottom