• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Fireflu

Right, i tried updating all 3 but that did nothing, just stayed question marks BUT... now they all seem to be working again, I pretty much deleted and re-installed all the software (including emulators) i currently had to get it to work but all seems to be well again!... (I THINK O__O!)

crazy monkey said:
the one with the question mark have update from what I know. I will one day get back to home brew. Last 4.2 scared the shit out of me so deleted the whole thing. :lol

O man im terrified of it all to be honest! I dont know why i do it, just living for the rush i guess :lol

Mason

Ok, I dabbled in homebrew over a year ago. I installed the Homebrew Channel and checked out a couple of little tech demos, and that was about it. Since then, my Wii has been packed away because I moved a few months ago, but I just busted it out and hooked it up. Trying to comb through the wiki and figure out exactly what to do from here is just making my head spin. So I'm hoping you guys can advise me.

My firmware is 3.3U. I know I need to upgrade somehow because I can't access the Shop Channel without doing so. What is the easiest way to get the latest firmware with homebrew access? Should I let the Wii install the official Nintendo update and then go about hacking/homebrewing/whatever'ing it again, or is there some better upgrade path to take from 3.3U?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mason said:
Ok, I dabbled in homebrew over a year ago. I installed the Homebrew Channel and checked out a couple of little tech demos, and that was about it. Since then, my Wii has been packed away because I moved a few months ago, but I just busted it out and hooked it up. Trying to comb through the wiki and figure out exactly what to do from here is just making my head spin. So I'm hoping you guys can advise me.

My firmware is 3.3U. I know I need to upgrade somehow because I can't access the Shop Channel without doing so. What is the easiest way to get the latest firmware with homebrew access? Should I let the Wii install the official Nintendo update and then go about hacking/homebrewing/whatever'ing it again, or is there some better upgrade path to take from 3.3U?
I can post the steps you can take but I would just be copy/pasting from the wiki. Seriously, it's all in there.

This site provides a very simple tutorial to perform the following actions on your Wii:

* Keep your homebrew apps up to date via the What's New page to know what's changed.
* Install the Homebrew Channel to run Homebrew
* Install BootMii and make backups of your Wii
* Install a Region Free application to allow running import discs
* Install a Custom IOS, IOS249(aka cIOS38) and optionally Hermes' IOS222/223 to allow you to use a USB Loader.
* Use GParted to partition and format your drive for use with USB Loaders.
* Install a USB Loader to play games from a USB drive, saving load times and eliminating disc switching
* Install a Forwarder channel for USB Loader
* Configure the options of Configurable USB Loader the way you want it.
* How to do the alternative .dol method to play certain games that don't work normally with USB Loader.
* How to perform a WBFS to FAT Transfer to make best use out of the new FAT loading feature of Configurable USB Loader.
* Install Homebrew Browser to find other homebrew titles easily
* Use FTPii to remotely connect to your Wii from your computer, in order to access your Wii's SD card (and optionally, a FAT32 partition of your Wii's HDD) in the laziest possible fashion.
* How to update your Wii Shop without updating the firmware.
* Upgrade to firmware version 4.2 without risking the irrecoverable brick that the official update might cause.
* How to Avoid Disc Updates in games such as NSMB Wii to avoid the irrecoverable brick they might cause.
* Check the Upgrade FAQ to find the latest information about upgrading your Wii.

Mason

Fuzzy said:
I can post the steps you can take but I would just be copy/pasting from the wiki. Seriously, it's all in there.

I realize there's a wealth of information, but I don't know specifically which instructions to follow. Is what I've pasted below correct, considering I don't have the stock 3.3U installed, I have a version with homebrew already?

Would you like to upgrade your Wii firmware in a safe way that avoids the risk of the official Nintendo update?

1. Install or upgrade the Homebrew Channel
2. Install or upgrade IOS249
3. Perform the safe 4.2 Upgrade procedure
4. Perform a Wii Shop update

Also, I'm currently using a 128MB card and I want to start using this 2GB one I have instead. How do I even go about that?

Clipper

Mejilan said:
Hey Clipper, have you ever considered trying to whip up some version of Configurator that runs from the Wii itself, via the HBC? I was just wondering if that was even feasible... at least for tweaking some of the less critical settings.
It would certainly be possible to make a text-based app that doesn't have any of the wizards and so on, but I don't want to bother with it.

Mason said:
I realize there's a wealth of information, but I don't know specifically which instructions to follow. Is what I've pasted below correct, considering I don't have the stock 3.3U installed, I have a version with homebrew already?
It sounds like all you want to do is access the Wii Shop, so you should follow the link for
* How to update your Wii Shop without updating the firmware.

What you posted will still do that, but you don't need to upgrade your firmware first. And you do have a stock 3.3U installed. You just have a homebrew channel installed as well. Installing homebrew does not alter your firmware (although you can upgrade the firmware with homebrew).

Also, I'm currently using a 128MB card and I want to start using this 2GB one I have instead. How do I even go about that?
Step 1: Copy stuff from one card to the other.
Step 2: You're already done.

So I finally installed homebrew on my Wii last week, and have had great success with taking my discs and adding them to my portable HD for easy access and play. However, my copy of Mario Party doesn't seem to work. Every time I boot, I get a black screen. Any idea what's going on?

Clipper

Superblatt said:
So I finally installed homebrew on my Wii last week, and have had great success with taking my discs and adding them to my portable HD for easy access and play. However, my copy of Mario Party doesn't seem to work. Every time I boot, I get a black screen. Any idea what's going on?
Are you using your Wii in 480p? Mario Party 8 doesn't support it, even from disc. Fortunately, you can force it to 480p with Cfg. Set "Video = Force NTSC" and "Video Patch = All" and it might get it working.

OK, I'm having some trouble with the playlog of USBLoader.

This is what my settings.cfg says:

# CFG USB Loader settings file 49
# Note: This file is automatically generated

# Global Settings:
theme = black_cat
device = usb
partition = WBFS1
gui_style = flow
gui_rows = 2
write_playlog = 1

# Profiles: 1
[profile=default]
# Favorite Games: 0
# Current profile: 1
profile = default

# Hidden Games: 1
hide_game = __CF

# Game Options: 0
# END

I've tried loading via both the channel forwarder AND the homebrew channel from the Wii System Menu, and it is still showing up as "USBLoaderCFG" or "Homebrew Channel", instead of the game I'm playing. I updated to v54b2.

What am I doing wrong?

Clipper

Dragona Akehi said:
What am I doing wrong?
You're editing the wrong file. Settings.cfg only stores the options that were originally listed there. The per-game options are saved there too, but not in the section you edited. To make all your games write to the log, add the "write_playlog=1" line to config.txt.

Clipper said:
You're editing the wrong file. Settings.cfg only stores the options that were originally listed there. The per-game options are saved there too, but not in the section you edited. To make all your games write to the log, add the "write_playlog=1" line to config.txt.

config.txt has none of my settings though, they're all the original defaults... how does that work? When I get home, I'll try doing that though. Should I copy over my current settings from settings.cfg so config.txt doesn't reset my current theme and stuff I've set up?

I really wish things like the playlog could be adjusted from within the Loader itself. I can't get mono working with the configurator on OSX, so that's out.

Also, I'm not a programmer, and in the GAF wiki it says "write_playlog = 0,1" not "write_playlog = 1" to turn it on. I R DUM, yes but I think you should edit it to say that = 1 means that it's on.

Clipper

Dragona Akehi said:
config.txt has none of my settings though, they're all the original defaults... how does that work? When I get home, I'll try doing that though. Should I copy over my current settings from settings.cfg so config.txt doesn't reset my current theme and stuff I've set up?
settings.cfg has priority, so even if you changed one of the other settings it controls, Cfg wouldn't notice. And the only thing you need to add to config.txt is write_playlog=1. Leave the other options in settings.cfg.

I really wish things like the playlog could be adjusted from within the Loader itself. I can't get mono working with the configurator on OSX, so that's out.
It can now, but only on a per-game basis, so you would need to select every game, change the write_playlog setting and save that setting.

Also, I'm not a programmer, and in the GAF wiki it says "write_playlog = 0,1" not "write_playlog = 1" to turn it on. I R DUM, yes but I think you should edit it to say that = 1 means that it's on.
I just went through for the 30 or so 0/1 options and added descriptors to indicate that for all of then, 0= off and 1 = on. Hopefully that removes the problem. Please don't make me do that again :S.

Clipper said:
I just went through for the 30 or so 0/1 options and added descriptors to indicate that for all of then, 0= off and 1 = on. Hopefully that removes the problem. Please don't make me do that again :S.

I truly appreciate it. But in the future if there's any sort of programmer-speak make sure you either ask here (because I really am that stupid), or just assume people are as stupid as me. :p

Clipper

Dragona Akehi said:
I truly appreciate it. But in the future if there's any sort of programmer-speak make sure you either ask here (because I really am that stupid), or just assume people are as stupid as me. :p
I've also updated the definition of options that appears before them. Is this understandable by "people as stupid as you" (no offence)?

GWHT said:
Each option appears in a box and is shown as the name of the option, followed by an equals sign, followed by a comma separated list of values the option can take. The default value shown in bold is the value that will be used if the option does not appear in the config.txt/theme.txt files.

vgachi57

Fuzzy said:
actually i'm in the same boat. when you mention "wiki", i'm assuming you mean the wiibrew wiki, but what is the link to the steps you listed? it's not found on the front page.

i grabbed the newest bootmii, which contains the dol to update the hbc, but i'm assuming that doesn't update the cios.

Clipper

vgachi57 said:
actually i'm in the same boat. when you mention "wiki", i'm assuming you mean the wiibrew wiki, but what is the link to the steps you listed? it's not found on the front page.

i grabbed the newest bootmii, which contains the dol to update the hbc, but i'm assuming that doesn't update the cios.

Nicktals

Banned
I have a bit of a strange problem.

I haven't really done anything new, outside of updating the configurable USB loader. But for about 2 weeks now, everytime I load the configurable USB loader for the first time, it boots me back to the wii menu after about 10 seconds. But on the second try, it works every single time. It also works every time after I exit a game, and then go back into the configurable USB loader.

I am using a forwarder, but I can't think of anything I've changed that could have caused this.

Are there some settings in particular I should double check? I mean, it's not a big deal, just a minor inconvenience...But if anyone has experienced this before or has a very good idea of what it is, I'd love to be able to fix it!

ATF487

I just wanted to say thanks to the authors of that Wiki. I followed the easy but verbose instructions and now I have a brilliantly modded Wii. Now I just wish I had a HD to dump my games to; currently I'm using my 8gig flash drive

Clipper

Nicktals said:
I have a bit of a strange problem.

I haven't really done anything new, outside of updating the configurable USB loader. But for about 2 weeks now, everytime I load the configurable USB loader for the first time, it boots me back to the wii menu after about 10 seconds. But on the second try, it works every single time. It also works every time after I exit a game, and then go back into the configurable USB loader.

I am using a forwarder, but I can't think of anything I've changed that could have caused this.

Are there some settings in particular I should double check? I mean, it's not a big deal, just a minor inconvenience...But if anyone has experienced this before or has a very good idea of what it is, I'd love to be able to fix it!
This is a problem that your drive takes too long to wake up. Easiest way to solve the problem would be to put the loader .dol back onto an SD card (I am assuming you have it on the hard drive). You can leave anything else you have on the hard drive and it will work the same way (i.e., use the hard drive for covers, music etc.). I don't know why it's only started happening to you in the last few weeks, but maybe it's something to do with the weather, or possibly just age which has slowed your drive startup time.

Nicktals

Banned
Clipper said:
This is a problem that your drive takes too long to wake up. Easiest way to solve the problem would be to put the loader .dol back onto an SD card (I am assuming you have it on the hard drive). You can leave anything else you have on the hard drive and it will work the same way (i.e., use the hard drive for covers, music etc.). I don't know why it's only started happening to you in the last few weeks, but maybe it's something to do with the weather, or possibly just age which has slowed your drive startup time.

Oh, that makes sense...thanks!

I switched from an SD card to the USB loader for all the files to free up the 2 gig card I had been using...But I guess if it bugs me enough I can just buy another small SD card to use for the .dol permanently.

Thanks again!

Dalthien

I just noticed that the newest dop-ios mod will upgrade to boot2v4 now.

Does anyone know if this boot2 upgrade is safe, or is it just the same upgrade as the official Nintendo update, with all of the same risks attached?

Also, for upgrading to 4.2, is dop-ios mod fine to use, or it is safer (more advantageous from a homebrew perspective) to stick with the v4.2 Safe Firmware Upgrader from the GAF wiki?

Clipper

Dalthien said:
Also, for upgrading to 4.2, is dop-ios mod fine to use, or it is safer (more advantageous from a homebrew perspective) to stick with the v4.2 Safe Firmware Upgrader from the GAF wiki?
Interesting, I did not know about that yet. I may try it out myself and will upgrade the Wiki method, seeing as Dop-IOS now has a proper database of titles. I've no doubt that the boot2 update method is safe as well. What's especially good is that it eliminates the need for StartPatch (except for games that can only be played with StartPatch, like an import copy of CSI: Deadly Intent).

Well, just performed the Wii Shop Upgrade to get MM10. I had say Clipper, your guide's really great because it's nice to be able to do something that can be rather daunting looking (all those technical options and IOSes, one false move and your Wii's busted) and get through it with no fear. Thanks Clipper:D

I was curious is it safe to keep Homebrew and Wii data (Games, saves, etc) on the same SD Card? I'm starting to run out of space for games and I've got a big 2 GB SD card for Homebrew with plenty of room still on it.

Clipper

Choppasmith said:
Well, just performed the Wii Shop Upgrade to get MM10. I had say Clipper, your guide's really great because it's nice to be able to do something that can be rather daunting looking (all those technical options and IOSes, one false move and your Wii's busted) and get through it with no fear. Thanks Clipper:D

I was curious is it safe to keep Homebrew and Wii data (Games, saves, etc) on the same SD Card? I'm starting to run out of space for games and I've got a big 2 GB SD card for Homebrew with plenty of room still on it.
You're welcome :D.

And yes, it's perfectly safe. Just make sure you don't have bannerbomb on there any more (the 'private' directory you would have installed to get the HBC on there in the first place).

Echoes

Echoes said:
(This was posted in the Blaster Master thread as well, but I apologize for that.)

Could somebody please help me?

Back at March (I guess) I installed the homebrew channel on my Wii to play Mother 3. I then (at June) removed the SD card, created a new folder called "Wii" and dumbed all the files in there, and started using the SD card for my camera (I was going on a trip and didn't have the time to purchase a new one). Fast forward to November, I connected a new SD card to my PC, transfered the Wii folder's contents to the SD card, and put it back in my Wii. All of a sudden, the homebrew channel is no longer there and I can't update my Wii Shop channel :(

Every time I try updating it goes to, like, 33% then tells me there's an error. Could anybody lend me a hand in this? I SO wanna play Super Mario Kart and Blaster Master and, eventually, Mega Man 4 + 5 + 6 + 10.
I just want to say that I fixed my problem above. All I did was re-installing homebrew channel + bootmii. Then I updated normally and had access to the store.

Clipper

I need some help for the GWHT Wiki.

I'm in the process of updating the 4.2 update method to include the boot2 update, but I need some help. I can't access the steps on my Wii as I already have boot2v4, and the source is not updated, so I can't find the pattern of button pushes that will be needed.

Thus, I need a volunteer who does not yet have boot2v4 to go through Dop-IOS Mod's update of boot2 procedure for me. Note that these steps will delete BootMii, so don't do them unless you know what you are doing.

The partial tutorial I have now for the remainder of the process is here. If you decide to go through with this, please make sure that you disable any and all IOS hacks like StartPatch before you start the process. While upgrading, please write down or film every step that you needed to take at every prompt (and also write down the filename it requests for boot2v4 for WAD installs if it does so).

Is anybody able and willing to help with this? Thank you in advance.

I have another question. I asked for help earlier in the page and got everything running without problems (except for a few weird crashes, but nothing was affected), but I noticed just now that I actually have 4.1, and I downloaded the Bannerbomb for 4.2 instead when I installed homebrew. Everything seems fine, but is there any possibility that this could be bad?

Also, I want to update to 4.2 (to access the shop), but I would prefer not to update through homebrew unless it's necessary. Am I correct in assuming that updating through the shop would, at worst, force me to have to reinstall the Homebrew Channel?

Clipper

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I have another question. I asked for help earlier in the page and got everything running without problems (except for a few weird crashes, but nothing was affected), but I noticed just now that I actually have 4.1, and I downloaded the Bannerbomb for 4.2 instead when I installed homebrew. Everything seems fine, but is there any possibility that this could be bad?

Also, I want to update to 4.2 (to access the shop), but I would prefer not to update through homebrew unless it's necessary. Am I correct in assuming that updating through the shop would, at worst, force me to have to reinstall the Homebrew Channel?
There is no problem with you using the alternate Bannerbomb.

Updating via the shop will update your Wii, which will install boot2v4 (unless you previously updated via NSMB Wii). This will delete Bootmii if it is in your boot2 and there is a minor risk of bricking (having homebrew does not affect this risk in any way).

Here's the basic gist of the matter:

If you updated via NSMB Wii, then there is no risk in the official update.
If you cannot install Bootmii as boot2, then there is no risk in the official update.
Otherwise, you are at risk.

If you fall into the at risk category, then please read my post just above yours as you can help me out. You can just update boot2 and then do a normal update via Nintendo. If you are not at risk, you might as well just do the normal update.

Note: the normal update will also remove IOS249, IOS222 and IOS223 if you installed them.

I did update via NSMBW (at least, I must have). Did the NSMBW update not contain the boot sector update that locks out BootMii being installed to the Wii? I thought that that was only in Wiis produced after a certain date. Would there have been any problem with installing BootMii to boot2 after installing the NSMBW update?

And if I do update to 4.2, what exactly will the process be to get everything back in working order? Will I only have to re-rename the HackMii folder and install the HBC just as I did when I first installed homebrew?

Dalthien

Clipper said:
I need some help for the GWHT Wiki.

I'm in the process of updating the 4.2 update method to include the boot2 update, but I need some help. I can't access the steps on my Wii as I already have boot2v4, and the source is not updated, so I can't find the pattern of button pushes that will be needed.

Thus, I need a volunteer who does not yet have boot2v4 to go through Dop-IOS Mod's update of boot2 procedure for me. Note that these steps will delete BootMii, so don't do them unless you know what you are doing.

The partial tutorial I have now for the remainder of the process is here. If you decide to go through with this, please make sure that you disable any and all IOS hacks like StartPatch before you start the process. While upgrading, please write down or film every step that you needed to take at every prompt (and also write down the filename it requests for boot2v4 for WAD installs if it does so).

Is anybody able and willing to help with this? Thank you in advance.

Okay, I took the plunge.

First off, from your partial tutorial you might want to remove 'v4.2' from step #5 (both places).

Anyhow, here are my steps.

9) Press down on d-pad to select Boot2 from the menu. Press 'A'.
10) You will get a screen telling you if your Boot2 is eligible to be upgraded to v4 or not. The screen will also let you know that you cannot downgrade back to your previous boot2 once you have upgraded to v4, and that you will have to reinstall BootMii to boot2 again (if you already had BootMii installed previously to boot2) after the boot2 upgrade is completed. Read the information carefully.
11) Press '+' to continue upgrading to boot2v4
12) You will be asked three more times if you are sure that you want to continue. Press 'A' three times.
13) You will be asked for one final confirmation to continue. Press and hold 'up on dpad','+', and '-' buttons all at the same time on the Wiimote. Then press the 'A' button while the other three buttons are still being pushed.
14) Boot2 will be upgraded to boot2v4.
15) Press any button to return to the boot2 menu.
16) The screen will tell you that you are now running the latest supported boot2 version.
17) Press 'Home' to exit Dop-IOS and return to the Homebrew Channel.

It went smooth as butter. I hope this helps. If I forgot anything or if you have any questions, let me know.

Clipper

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I did update via NSMBW (at least, I must have). Did the NSMBW update not contain the boot sector update that locks out BootMii being installed to the Wii? I thought that that was only in Wiis produced after a certain date. Would there have been any problem with installing BootMii to boot2 after installing the NSMBW update?

And if I do update to 4.2, what exactly will the process be to get everything back in working order? Will I only have to re-rename the HackMii folder and install the HBC just as I did when I first installed homebrew?
There is no update which can stop you installing BootMii to boot2 if you could do it before. However, it turns out that the Wiis that can't install BootMii all shipped with boot2v4 and previous Wiis shipped with boot2v3 or earlier.

Thus, you can update a boot2v3 Wii to boot2v4, which will delete BootMii, but you can reinstall BootMii afterwards. Those Wiis that shipped with boot2v4 have other differences (in boot1 which cannot be changed after manufacture) and they will never be able to install BootMii in boot2.

If you do the official update now, then you will need to reinstall IOS249 and Hermes' IOS222/223 if you had them installed. The HBC, BootMii and any homebrew on the SD card will be safe.

Dalthien said:
Okay, I took the plunge.

First off, from your partial tutorial you might want to remove 'v4.2' from step #5 (both places).

Anyhow, here are my steps.

9) Press down on d-pad to select Boot2 from the menu. Press 'A'.
10) You will get a screen telling you if your Boot2 is eligible to be upgraded to v4 or not. The screen will also let you know that you cannot downgrade back to your previous boot2 once you have upgraded to v4, and that you will have to reinstall BootMii to boot2 again (if you already had BootMii installed previously to boot2) after the boot2 upgrade is completed. Read the information carefully.
11) Press '+' to continue upgrading to boot2v4
12) You will be asked three more times if you are sure that you want to continue. Press 'A' three times.
13) You will be asked for one final confirmation to continue. Press and hold 'up on dpad','+', and '-' buttons all at the same time on the Wiimote. Then press the 'A' button while the other three buttons are still being pushed.
14) Boot2 will be upgraded to boot2v4.
15) Press any button to return to the boot2 menu.
16) The screen will tell you that you are now running the latest supported boot2 version.
17) Press 'Home' to exit Dop-IOS and return to the Homebrew Channel.

It went smooth as butter. I hope this helps. If I forgot anything or if you have any questions, let me know.
Thank you very much.

Now, one more thing... Do you have NSMB Wii from your region? Can you please try using it without any StartPatch or other patches and see if it still asks you to update?

Edit: I've also updated the tentative new upgrade page for anyone else that's interested. I still plan to make a few finishing touches (like how to update the other IOSes) before I start linking it to the proper tutorial, though.

Dalthien

Clipper said:
Thank you very much.
No problem. It's nice to be able to give back just a little bit after all the help that you've given everyone in this thread.

Clipper said:
Now, one more thing... Do you have NSMB Wii from your region? Can you please try using it without any StartPatch or other patches and see if it still asks you to update?
Success!

Okay, just to clarify a bit. It seems that Dop-IOS doesn't update all the IOS files when it updates to system menu 4.2. I personally like the fact that it only updates the stuff that is essential for 4.2, and leaves everything else alone. More control for the end-user, which is always good. But it does make for a little more work getting rid of the NSMB system update prompt.

I had to manually install IOS56 (using dop-IOS) after the dop-IOS 4.2 update before it got rid of the NSMB disc update prompt.

But I can report that the boot2v4 upgrade (using dop-IOS) definitely works, because that was how I updated my boot2, and as I said - no more disc update prompts from NSMB Wii! :D

But people will have to make sure that their IOS files are up-to-date with the versions on the disc.

If it helps, I can give a list of the IOS versions that are needed for NSMB, (which would probably apply to just about everything right now), but most people probably shouldn't need to update more than 1 or 2 IOS files after updating to 4.2 and boot2v4 through dop-IOS. Just scroll through the list of IOS files and make sure you have everything installed below IOS70, and most people should be good to go.

Anyway, it is nice to be rid of the disc updates again without having to worry about StartPatch or the like!

Edit - or maybe IOS56 isn't a part of the official 4.2 system menu, which is why it wasn't installed? I don't know. In any case, I needed to install it manually myself.

Clipper

Dalthien said:
No problem. It's nice to be able to give back just a little bit after all the help that you've given everyone in this thread.

Success!

Okay, just to clarify a bit. It seems that Dop-IOS doesn't update all the IOS files when it updates to system menu 4.2. I personally like the fact that it only updates the stuff that is essential for 4.2, and leaves everything else alone. More control for the end-user, which is always good. But it does make for a little more work getting rid of the NSMB system update prompt.

I had to manually install IOS56 (using dop-IOS) after the dop-IOS 4.2 update before it got rid of the NSMB disc update prompt.

But I can report that the boot2v4 upgrade (using dop-IOS) definitely works, because that was how I updated my boot2, and as I said - no more disc update prompts from NSMB Wii! :D

But people will have to make sure that their IOS files are up-to-date with the versions on the disc.

If it helps, I can give a list of the IOS versions that are needed for NSMB, (which would probably apply to just about everything right now), but most people probably shouldn't need to update more than 1 or 2 IOS files after updating to 4.2 and boot2v4 through dop-IOS. Just scroll through the list of IOS files and make sure you have everything installed below IOS70, and most people should be good to go.

Anyway, it is nice to be rid of the disc updates again without having to worry about StartPatch or the like!

Edit - or maybe IOS56 isn't a part of the official 4.2 system menu, which is why it wasn't installed? I don't know. In any case, I needed to install it manually myself.

Yes, that sounds right. I am thinking of adding a list of IOSes to update, but it would also be fine to say to just do the boot2 update, then update from the disc and/or Nintendo (as you have removed the dangerous part and the Nintendo updates become safe again).

TunaLover

Question: When you install boot2v4, and then you install bootmii over it. How games that promt a disc update don't ask for update anymore when bootmii supposed overwrittes boot2v4? In other words, games see bootmii installed but no boot2v4?

Clipper

TunaLover said:
Question: When you install boot2v4, and then you install bootmii over it. How games that promt a disc update don't ask for update anymore when bootmii supposed overwrittes boot2v4? In other words, games see bootmii installed but no boot2v4?
BootMii is not a replacement of boot2, it's a very small modification. The Wii can't easily tell the difference between boot2v4 and boot2v4+BootMii.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is there any benefit at all to installing boot2v4, save for eliminating on-disc update prompts?

Mejilan

I thought that was one of the minor improvements in the general 4.2 SysMenu update?
I've already done that (via a safe update method that skipped the boot2v4 component).

Clipper

Mejilan said:
Is there any benefit at all to installing boot2v4, save for eliminating on-disc update prompts?
You also protect your Wii from somebody accidentally hitting the update button in the menu, shop or message board.

But that's pretty much it. There's no actual feature changes in boot2v4, just security changes.

Mejilan

Fuck it. Thanks.
With Priiloader, I have accidental updates disabled in any event, IIRC.
Even if that doesn't work (never tested it), I'm not stupid enough to fuck it up myself, and no one touches my shit unsupervised! :D

Dalthien

Clipper said:
Edit: OK, that's done. Would anybody else who'd like to do a little guinea pig work please test the Dop-Mii version of the boot2v4 update method to test whether the button sequence is the same?
Well, I just tested it out again. My friend gave me his Wii to update his homebrew stuff, (his Homebrew Browser crashed, and he hadn't updated anything in a year or so), so I tested out the boot2v4 upgrade on his Wii last night.

Since that worked so well on his Wii, I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade mine as well.

The DOP-Mii v12 button sequence is the exact same for boot2v4.

The only thing is that DOP-Mii v12 kept crashing on me anytime I tried to install a new IOS. So I went through the boot2v4 upgrade process all the way to the final confirmation, and it is the exact same process. But I ended up going back to DOP-IOS Mod v12beta7 for the actual upgrade.

I'm sure DOP-Mii v12 would work just fine for the upgrade. Every other aspect of the app works just fine for me, but like I said, it won't download anything from NUS for me for some reason.

But v12beta7 works just splendidly, so I'm just sticking with that until v12.1 or whatever.

Ixzion

Hey guys. I just want to thank everyone for their work in this topic and contribute to it.

My Wii is a 4.1U that I managed to install WiiSCU on. I had already done whatever update was in NSMBW, so that was the main thing I was worried about.

I used WiiSCU v0.22 for my 4.1U and followed the directions from the Homebrew Guide here (Method 1: WiiSCU) and it worked like a charm.

I just bought Megaman 10. :D

Clipper

Dalthien said:
Well, I just tested it out again. My friend gave me his Wii to update his homebrew stuff, (his Homebrew Browser crashed, and he hadn't updated anything in a year or so), so I tested out the boot2v4 upgrade on his Wii last night.

Since that worked so well on his Wii, I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade mine as well.

The DOP-Mii v12 button sequence is the exact same for boot2v4.

The only thing is that DOP-Mii v12 kept crashing on me anytime I tried to install a new IOS. So I went through the boot2v4 upgrade process all the way to the final confirmation, and it is the exact same process. But I ended up going back to DOP-IOS Mod v12beta7 for the actual upgrade.

I'm sure DOP-Mii v12 would work just fine for the upgrade. Every other aspect of the app works just fine for me, but like I said, it won't download anything from NUS for me for some reason.

But v12beta7 works just splendidly, so I'm just sticking with that until v12.1 or whatever.

Thanks heaps :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When I see it mentioned that people use external storage for games I was wondering, Are you guys using say an external flash drive or a full on External Hard Drive?

Kishgal

Banned
Trojita said:
When I see it mentioned that people use external storage for games I was wondering, Are you guys using say an external flash drive or a full on External Hard Drive?
I use a USB card reader with several different SDHC cards instead of a USB hard drive, since I had these things around not really being used. Works wonderfully for me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Trojita said:
I use a WD My Passport Essential USB HDD while others here use a Seagate FreeAgent Go USB HDD.

Top Bottom