• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yo Clipper, I'm using the CFG forwarder you posted when the new CFG with recording playtime released and you warned us that was the only way to actually record the playtime besides having to load CFG, non-bottmii'ed and from the HBC itself.
I'm grateful (hell yeah I am) and it has always worked like a charm but... how do I replace the awful bgm intro with something a bit more to my tastes? ;)

I'm reading that you need to install Hermes IOS202 to get USB2.0 speeds with WiiXplorer... Does that apply to Configurable USB Loader too? Or does it support USB2 speeds already? My head is spinning with all the nuances of the homebrew scene.

EDIT: By the way, the download link for Waninkoko's Wad Manager v1.5 on this Wiki page leads to an expired page.

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
Yo Clipper, I'm using the CFG forwarder you posted when the new CFG with recording playtime released and you warned us that was the only way to actually record the playtime besides having to load CFG, non-bottmii'ed and from the HBC itself.
I'm grateful (hell yeah I am) and it has always worked like a charm but... how do I replace the awful bgm intro with something a bit more to my tastes? ;)
You could try his latest one: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638&st=5745&p=2420653&#entry2420653

or get one of the other forwarders listed in the first post of Cfg's thread on GBATemp. It is possible to change the image/music yourself, but quite dangerous.

Naked Snake said:
I'm reading that you need to install Hermes IOS202 to get USB2.0 speeds with WiiXplorer... Does that apply to Configurable USB Loader too? Or does it support USB2 speeds already? My head is spinning with all the nuances of the homebrew scene.

EDIT: By the way, the download link for Waninkoko's Wad Manager v1.5 on this Wiki page leads to an expired page.
No, Cfg doesn't use 202. I'll look into finding another link for Wad Manager (I'm thinking Dop-Mii might do the job even better anyway).

Edit: I added a new link to a 1.6 version. Should work the same as the 1.5 version.

Clipper said:
Edit: I added a new link to a 1.6 version. Should work the same as the 1.5 version.

I have been trying every Wad Manager I could get my hands on (so many mods and versions) for the past 24 hours without any luck. I tried every option/setting imaginable, everything gave me errors when I tried to install wads (mostly error 1029)... After pulling my hair out, losing sleep and getting frustrated while searching for a solution, I finally found it.

Turns out Wad Managers don't work under Rev19 unless you use base 38. But of course since I blindly followed the GAF Wiki, I had it installed under base 57. So I reinstalled IOS249 Rev19 using base 38 and now everything works beautifully, whew!! I was even forced to use Network Installation because the Wad installation method no longer works! Supposedly NAND Dumping has issues too and needs base 38 under Rev19.

Through my research I found out that a lot of people are suffering from this, you might want to edit the Wiki to clarify this part. Someone also claimed that reinstalling Rev19 and selecting IOS250 and base 38, and choosing IOS250 in Wad Managers solves the problem.

I can't believe I'm talking WiiBrew sp33k, it was all gibberish to me only yesterday :lol

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
You could try his latest one: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638&st=5745&p=2420653&#entry2420653

or get one of the other forwarders listed in the first post of Cfg's thread on GBATemp. It is possible to change the image/music yourself, but quite dangerous.

Don't wanna risk it just for some music I hate.
How do you suggest I remove the forwarder I have installed? Is it 100% to do that?
I hate installing wads :/

also:
260e4hi.jpg
260e4hi.jpg

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Through my research I found out that a lot of people are suffering from this, you might want to edit the Wiki to clarify this part. Someone also claimed that reinstalling Rev19 and selecting IOS250 and base 38, and choosing IOS250 in Wad Managers solves the problem.
What sort of wads are you installing? The only page in the Wiki that deals with wad installation is the forwarder page (the only type you'll ever need) and you'll notice that it tells you to choose 222 to install the wad.

I actually rejoiced when discovering that using a 57 base makes Wad Manager fail because it means there's now a bunch of pirates that used my tutorial blindly (I'm not saying you're a pirate, but I know of a ton that use the tutorial and it sickens me) getting blocked when they try to install their illegal crap.

Dash Kappei said:
Don't wanna risk it just for some music I hate.
How do you suggest I remove the forwarder I have installed? Is it 100% to do that?
I hate installing wads :/
You use WAD Manager and choose the uninstallation option instead of installation. I think I included instructions on the forwarder page.

Did you even read the GAF Wiki? I think it's time for some dire... just kidding.

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
Did you even read the GAF Wiki?[..] just kiddin'...

:p :p

Seriously, I just remember that installing/removing/re-installing wads and so on it's (was?) one of the riskier things to do as far as bricks go.
I know a couple of guys that bricked their Wii supposedly because the wad banner had some kind of problem.
If it's not the case anymore/never was, then it's even better :)

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
:p :p

Seriously, I just remember that installing/removing/re-installing wads and so on it's (was?) one of the riskier things to do as far as bricks go.
I know a couple of guys that bricked their Wii supposedly because the wad banner had some kind of problem.
If it's not the case anymore/never was, then it's even better :)
Removing is pretty safe. Installing is still dangerous and you should never install anything that you don't trust. The forwarders seem safe enough, though, and now that the playlog stuff is needed, there is a key reason to install one. There is another useful feature. You can put "button_exit=DCFG" and "button_H=exit" into config.txt and then you have a reboot type feature for Cfg. By pushing Home in any of the menu screens, the loader will reboot, but pushing home in the game list or GUI will make it exit to the system menu instead.

Def Jukie said:
Could anyone hit me with a link for pepxl's Cfg Forwarder Channel for the USB loader. Every link that I'm finding online is dead.
Seems like he took down his original one. I guess that forces me to update to the new one after all. You can find that one here and it will be in the tutorial instructions shortly.

GaussTek

So, it's me again.

Does anyone know if cIOS rev19 has problems with WiiConnect24 like some old revisions (I think before cIOS rev14) ?

It's just my niece was playing Animal Crossing CF and froze a bit after starting the game. The only change I did make was updating from cIOS rev17 to rev19 (base 38).

I turned WC24 off and she has been playing without problems so far. I didn't test a lot with it <on> because she doesn't like Resetti :p So, just wondering if it was a isolate freeze or it's related to WC again. Rev17 worked fine with it on.

Thanks a lot.

PD. I also have hermes cIOS rev5, I guess that works fine with WC too right? (I mean, perhaps the best way it's to stay on rev19 and let AC-CF use cios 222?).

Clipper

GaussTek said:
So, it's me again.

Does anyone know if cIOS rev19 has problems with WiiConnect24 like some old revisions (I think before cIOS rev14) ?

It's just my niece was playing Animal Crossing CF and froze a bit after starting the game. The only change I did make was updating from cIOS rev17 to rev19 (base 38).

I turned WC24 off and she has been playing without problems so far. I didn't test a lot with it <on> because she doesn't like Resetti :p So, just wondering if it was a isolate freeze or it's related to WC again. Rev17 worked fine with it on.

Thanks a lot.

PD. I also have hermes cIOS rev5, I guess that works fine with WC too right? (I mean, perhaps the best way it's to stay on rev19 and let AC-CF use cios 222?).
I don't know if that's a problem or not, but the 222 plan is a good idea.

Def Jukie

Thanks Clipper.

Is there anyway to load your virtual console/wiiware games off of a usb drive? I've looked around online and see there's triiforce, but I don't really understand how that works. I just want to load games I have purchased from the shop channel off my hard drive and I don't know how to convert them to wads. All of my games are in .bin format. Is there anyway to convert your own files to run off a hard drive?

Clipper said:
now that the playlog stuff is needed, there is a key reason to install one.

What does that mean? You can't use the playlog feature of the loader without a forwarder channel?

There is another useful feature. You can put "button_exit=DCFG" and "button_H=exit" into config.txt and then you have a reboot type feature for Cfg. By pushing Home in any of the menu screens, the loader will reboot, but pushing home in the game list or GUI will make it exit to the system menu instead.

I don't quite understand the benefits of this either, probably I need to sleep.

I noticed that Cfg often freezes when I try to use it a second time (e.g. boot game with Cfg -> Exit to system menu -> HBC -> Cfg -> Load game = Black screen freeze and Wiimote not responding, have to turn off the Wii from the main power button on the console.)

insin

Neo Member
Thanks for the Homebew Wiki, GAF - it made getting Configurable USBLoader up and running totally painless.

I've finally taken the plunge as my 2 year old's disc handling, while impressive, is not all it could be (she learned the hard way with her own DVDs ;_;).

With just over 5 days of online play time sunk into CoD: Reflex, the disc has picked up its fair share of minor scratches (she takes it out as carefully as she can, which is uber cute, when it's time to play Super Mario Galaxy or NSMBWii) and it's recently started to stutter on some maps when you run at P90 whore speed, as I do.

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
What does that mean? You can't use the playlog feature of the loader without a forwarder channel?
The playlog feature needs you to access the system menu before starting Cfg. If that weren't necessary you could use BootMii to autoboot the HBC or Priiloader to autoboot Cfg. Now starting the HBC before you launch Cfg is just a minor annoyance, but I do appreciate the time saved by having the forwarder right there.

I don't quite understand the benefits of this either, probably I need to sleep.
The reboot feature is just nice after updating Cfg online. Again, it just saves one button push, but it is handy.

I noticed that Cfg often freezes when I try to use it a second time (e.g. boot game with Cfg -> Exit to system menu -> HBC -> Cfg -> Load game = Black screen freeze and Wiimote not responding, have to turn off the Wii from the main power button on the console.)
What IOSes are you using? This sounds like it might be the 249 rev13 reset bug.

Def Jukie said:
Thanks Clipper.

Is there anyway to load your virtual console/wiiware games off of a usb drive? I've looked around online and see there's triiforce, but I don't really understand how that works. I just want to load games I have purchased from the shop channel off my hard drive and I don't know how to convert them to wads. All of my games are in .bin format. Is there anyway to convert your own files to run off a hard drive?
I see absolutely no benefit in this. Just put them on SD using the official method instead. Anything else is too close to piracy to be worth a mention.

Clipper said:

I just followed the GAF Wiki, and then reinstalled IOS249 Rev19 using base 38 to get Wad manager working. I don't think I did anything else, but not entirely sure...

I was wondering what does restoring the NAND (via BootMii as boot2) accomplish? Does it restore EVERYTHING as it was when backed up? And is it a surefire safeguard to any bricking situation?

I see absolutely no benefit in this. Just put them on SD using the official method instead. Anything else is too close to piracy to be worth a mention.

Well, one benefit I see is prolonging the life of the Wii's internal NAND, since VC/Wii Ware games get temporary copied to the internal memory every single time a game is loaded from SD card, and as far as I know Flash memory has a finite number of read/right cycles.

Dash Kappei

Naked Snake said:
Well, one benefit I see is prolonging the life of the Wii's internal NAND, since VC/Wii Ware games get temporary copied to the internal memory every single time a game is loaded from SD card, and as far as I know Flash memory has a finite number of read/right cycles.

There's absolutely ZERO reasons to even think about doing such a thing.
I'll let you think about why, unless you plan to use the Wii every day, swapping games left and right, from today to 2020.
In which case, I say that shit breaks you know.
You could always think about doing it after the fact, inbetween combing your white beard and filling your oxygen's tank.
Talking about such a darkgray area would be the last step towards piracy that this thread really doesn't need, especially with all the effort Clipper has put in it, where possible, to try and let the piracy's floodgate just barely wide open.

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Sorry to rub this in, but in addition to Dash Kappei's statement, I'll also point out that your save games are also on your NAND. The play log file is there too and it is written fairly frequently throughout gameplay. Both of these actions are going to be far more frequent than copying games over from SD.

later

Obviously game saves and play logs are mere kilobytes (on wii) so that doesn't impact the memory as much as 20MB+ wiiware games.

Datschge

later said:
Obviously game saves and play logs are mere kilobytes (on wii) so that doesn't impact the memory as much as 20MB+ wiiware games.
Unfortunately the native block size of NOR flash/SSD is ridiculously big (up to 512KB afaik) compared to what's common on HD, so even small changes can quickly affect a lot of blocks.

Def Jukie

Alright, I guess I'll just leave them on my SD card. I just wanted to move them to my hard drive so I could have them all in a list like USB loader does with your retail games. I usually leave a few games that I am playing on my wii itself and leave the others on my sd card. I thought it would be nice to have them all accessible in one place without having to load onto your nand. It seems like people most people who are using triiforce are just pirating games and that is not what I was looking for.

Clipper said:

Naked Snake said:
I just followed the GAF Wiki, and then reinstalled IOS249 Rev19 using base 38 to get Wad manager working. I don't think I did anything else

So how do you fix the reset bug? I realized today that the Wii is also freezing when I run any homebrew app after exiting USB Loader.

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
So how do you fix the reset bug? I realized today that the Wii is also freezing when I run any homebrew app after exiting USB Loader.
Well, you're on rev19, so the rev13 bug is not the problem. I'm not sure what causes this, although others have reported the problem. There may be a workaround, though. When exiting games, try to use the "Reset" option in the Home menu rather than "Return to Wii Menu". In many games, that will make the Wii reboot rather than reset properly and things may work better.

Clipper said:
try to use the "Reset" option in the Home menu rather than "Return to Wii Menu". In many games, that will make the Wii reboot rather than reset properly and things may work better.

Right, I remember reading about this before. I'll try that next time, thanks.

fernoca

Hmm..don't know how to ask this, and risk getting my avatar changed...:lol

Is that in a few hours..well..like 12 hours, a friend is going to bring me a Wii that was hacked...sometime last year, around when Wii Sports Resorts..was released (remember this because he told me he was having problems with the movie playing at the beginning and the game crashing)..

Anyway, he's bringing the Wii for me to update it, since he hasn't touched it since..

So..the question is...
Where in the FAQ should I start..getting information and downloading updates and stuff to bring his Wii up to date from Summer 2009..to March 2010?

EDIT:
Was just told...
He wants to "un-hack" the Wii...is that even possible..and if so..how?

Argh..he's not sure...so, if someone can answer both questions I'd appreciate it (how to be up-to-date and how to erase everything).. geeze.. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You can try installing the disc to the HDD and/or using GeckoOS (or other means) to circumvent the update.
Edit - Installing to HDD is what I had planned on doing, but apparently I'm not part of the initial batch of testers/users.

eznark

Banned
Mejilan said:
You can try installing the disc to the HDD and/or using GeckoOS (or other means) to circumvent the update.
Edit - Installing to HDD is what I had planned on doing, but apparently I'm not part of the initial batch of testers/users.
I'll try ripping to the hard drive.

eznark said:
I'll try ripping to the hard drive.

Yeah, I'm gonna try that out tonight. Got the disk in the morning but the big ol' SYSTEM UPDATE channel banner killed the moment.

Hoping it's an okay solution for netflix since I am sending out my 360 on Sat for e74.

eznark

Banned
It worked like a charm.

Wii Netflix (aside from the awesome interface) is fucking terrible compared to 360/PS3.

Wii has the best interface but is nigh unwatchable
PS3 has the best video quality (but watching seasons of TV shows is a massive pain in the ass)
360 has the best overall package

If it's all you have it will definitely be nice, but given the option between the three I will use 360 for TV shows, PS3 for movies and the Wii for emergencies.

Clipper

I would guess that the system update on the Netflix disc is just to install a new IOS that Netflix might need, but it may just work plain. The real test is whether anyone who is on the official 4.2 firmware is being asked to update. If so, the update should be safe for you and you might as well try it out to see where it takes you. There is very little chance of things breaking as if this was a new firmware version, we'd know about it by now.

Clipper said:
I would guess that the system update on the Netflix disc is just to install a new IOS that Netflix might need, but it may just work plain. The real test is whether anyone who is on the official 4.2 firmware is being asked to update. If so, the update should be safe for you and you might as well try it out to see where it takes you. There is very little chance of things breaking as if this was a new firmware version, we'd know about it by now.
I am on official firmware and was not asked to update

Clipper

JodyAnthony said:
I am on official firmware and was not asked to update
I actually meant "if not" rather than "if so" in my previous statement, so my guess is that the Netflix disc just has the NSMB update or something similar. That can be safely avoided via the safe boot2v4 update method seen here.

I was wondering what does restoring my NAND (via BootMii as boot2) accomplish? Does it revert EVERYTHING to the way it was when the backup was made?

And can I use it as a sort of "System Restore" point by creating a backup after I set up HBC and other IOS modifications, so it would be a "hacked and all functional" state that I can restore in case something goes wrong at some point in the future, instead of restoring back to my original "clean" NAND backup?

liuelson

Apparently, anyone on the limited $4.99 / month plan can't use the Netflix streaming to the Wii. Even though they send you the disc. Sigh... However, I can confirm that loading the disc to the USB Loader seems to work fine, and avoids the update.

Also, the disc instructs you to go to netflix.com/Wii to enter a code and activate your Wii, but for me, that link still goes to the old "let me know when Netflix is available for Wii" page.

Kishgal

Banned
liuelson said:
Apparently, anyone on the limited $4.99 / month plan can't use the Netflix streaming to the Wii. Even though they send you the disc. Sigh... However, I can confirm that loading the disc to the USB Loader seems to work fine, and avoids the update.

Also, the disc instructs you to go to netflix.com/Wii to enter a code and activate your Wii, but for me, that link still goes to the old "let me know when Netflix is available for Wii" page.
I had that happen, too. Just go to the settings and find the link that says 'activate my Netflix ready device' or whatever, and input the code there.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is probably a dumb question.

Does using a usb loader via homebrew channel make those games unable to read the data on the SD card? I'm talking about DLC, etc. I guess it never came up before because I wasn't using the loader with games that access the SD card slot, but I've noticed a couple of them saying that the device is unusable when I try to get to my DLC (Guitar Hero) or when trying to save screenshots to the card (Crystal Bearers).

Question for Mpceplayer. My cousin has it on his home brew channel and he is using wii to watch videos from his sd card. I just wanted to know is it going to hurt his wii in long run if he does that?

Clipper

Htown said:

Does using a usb loader via homebrew channel make those games unable to read the data on the SD card? I'm talking about DLC, etc. I guess it never came up before because I wasn't using the loader with games that access the SD card slot, but I've noticed a couple of them saying that the device is unusable when I try to get to my DLC (Guitar Hero) or when trying to save screenshots to the card (Crystal Bearers).
Yes, there is a known problem with SD stuff. I think SD stuff will work with one of the bases of IOS249 rev 19, though. You might want to try the different bases to see if any of them work.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Htown said:

I've never had issues with SD card while loading from USB with Rock Band, but I don't have any DLC for GH:WT, so I'm not sure about it. When we first started using USB Loader, Animal Crossing seemed to have issues once in a while, so we play it mostly with the disc now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Clipper said:
Yes, there is a known problem with SD stuff. I think SD stuff will work with one of the bases of IOS249 rev 19, though. You might want to try the different bases to see if any of them work.
Huh. Just realized I haven't updated IOS 249 since rev15. Lemme give that a shot.

Am I going to have to reinstall the USB loader or anything after I upgrade?

Clipper

Htown said:
Huh. Just realized I haven't updated IOS 249 since rev15. Lemme give that a shot.

Am I going to have to reinstall the USB loader or anything after I upgrade?
Nope. Just follow the upgrade instructions in the Wiki.

Def Jukie

Sorry if this is a dumb question but, I am using Startpatch and am having problems copying a save file to my SD card. I wanted to make a backup of my Castlevania Rondo of Blood save and every time I try to copy it, it tells me the file may not have copied correctly. Sure enough, nothing shows up on my SD card. I've never actually downloaded a TG-16 game before this one so I don't know if you can normally copy your save data to an SD card like you can with SNES games, etc. Are TG-16 saves locked to your wii? Does Startpatch even effect VC games with actual save data?

Clipper

Def Jukie said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but, I am using Startpatch and am having problems copying a save file to my SD card. I wanted to make a backup of my Castlevania Rondo of Blood save and every time I try to copy it, it tells me the file may not have copied correctly. Sure enough, nothing shows up on my SD card. I've never actually downloaded a TG-16 game before this one so I don't know if you can normally copy your save data to an SD card like you can with SNES games, etc. Are TG-16 saves locked to your wii? Does Startpatch even effect VC games with actual save data?

You can always go back into StartPatch and disable any of your previous hacks to see if it does affect things.

If it is a locked save, the save protection removal hacks should allow you to copy it about in any case. Had you enabled those?

TunaLover

crazy monkey said:
Question for Mpceplayer. My cousin has it on his home brew channel and he is using wii to watch videos from his sd card. I just wanted to know is it going to hurt his wii in long run if he does that?

Well if he launch the movies direct from the SD there's no problem at all, but if he launch movies from the disc drive it could eventually shortened the lens life span. That happens with whatever DVD disc, even retailer ones, just take care of scratched disc, they are the worse for your lens.

Top Bottom