• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Birbo said:
So once I do this, do I need to avoid all system updates?
I've not modded a 360, but since you don't really have to dick around with DVD drive custom firmwares and shit, I can only imagine that modding a Wii is easier.

At the very least, avoiding Wii FW updates for the first week or three is a good idea, at least until the update s dissected. For example, the most recent 4.2 update included some... not great elements to it. So a 4.2 "safe updater" was developed that installed all of the 4.2 bits without the unwanted anti-hacking rubbish.

Even on-disc mandatory updates are nearly 100% avoidable via homebrew; so you won't find yourself commonly locked out of the most recent games while the scene catches up. HDDs are definitely the way to go, IMHO.

JesseZao

I think I'm going to try this out this weekend. I only have nintendo games + boom blox, but it would be nice to be able to boot the disc games like my VC and wiiware stuff. I have no experience in modding though, so hopefully I don't run into many problems. I have a TB Firewire/USB drive that I could use for this (assuming it wouldn't affect my current files backed-up on it).

Clipper

JesseZao said:
I think I'm going to try this out this weekend. I only have nintendo games + boom blox, but it would be nice to be able to boot the disc games like my VC and wiiware stuff. I have no experience in modding though, so hopefully I don't run into many problems. I have a TB Firewire/USB drive that I could use for this (assuming it wouldn't affect my current files backed-up on it).

If the drive is formatted as FAT32, then it won't affect the files already on there. If not, you may need to copy the files off in order to repartition the drive then copy them back (or you can just create an extra FAT32 partition out of the extra space on the drive.

In any case, just follow the GAF Wiki and you'll be good:

insin

Neo Member
WiiMC has finally been released!

Pardon my appalling phone camera screenshots:

Video:
wiimc_video.jpg

Image browser:
wiimc_pictures.jpg

Music:
wiimc_music.jpg

(In less exciting news, I updated POWDER to version 113 this morning)

Lkr

I have an SD card, but what do I need to buy to make my computer read it? I really wish the Wii would work with CF/USB/microSD

Clipper

Lkr said:
I have an SD card, but what do I need to buy to make my computer read it? I really wish the Wii would work with CF/USB/microSD
If you don't have an SD reader, you can sometimes use devices that can read SD (like a camera) as if they were a USB drive. Also, once you have the Homebrew Channel on the Wii, you no longer need the SD card for anything else (you can use a FAT32 formatted hard drive instead whenever the tutorial says to use the SD). You still need to be able to put files onto that SD somehow for the first step, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WiiMC looks utterly fantastic but is broken for loading from an NTFS drive, and thus completely useless for me.

I really hope it gets fixed as it looks and feels a million times better than the previous media player.

Datschge

insin said:
WiiMC has finally been released!
Excellent player. The first really usable one on the Wii, thanks a lot!

Had a couple minor issues (my German Chihiro DVD's menu causes it to crash, skipping the menu results in a wrong aspect ratio being used, seem not to be able to scroll list using B, and missing the scroll bar seemed to take you one directory up, stuff like that) but I'm sure that are details getting polished in the future. :D

Edit: an ios 202 installer is on the WiiMC website.

Jeels

Is there a page on how to virginize your Wii? I am just tired of trying to keep up with everything. My Wii Console is a 4.1U.

Right now all I have on me is an SD card, but I've done everything up until now via SD Card so I doubt that should be a problem.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jeels said:
Is there a page on how to virginize your Wii? I am just tired of trying to keep up with everything. My Wii Console is a 4.1U.

Right now all I have on me is an SD card, but I've done everything up until now via SD Card so I doubt that should be a problem.

you don't need to keep up with anything but ignoring that all you need to do is update your firmware and all your homebrew will be annihilated.

Jeels

Stumpokapow said:
you don't need to keep up with anything but ignoring that all you need to do is update your firmware and all your homebrew will be annihilated.

Someone said that can brick my Wii...

Clipper

Jeels said:
Someone said that can brick my Wii...
They should have also said that your Wii has the same chance of bricking during the update whether you have homebrew installed or not. 4.2 was slightly more dangerous than previous updates for everybody, not just those with homebrew.

Anony said:
what's ios 202

there's too many ios's to keep track of
IOS202 is used by several homebrew apps for USB 2.0 support. The media players come with one, as suggested, but Hermes also has one (installed using the same installer as his other IOSes).

Jeels

Alright, and what about the new super mario bros wii update? Is my console in any danger if I accept that update? (Just bought the game).

Edit: The message when I update my Wii even says: Caution: If your Wii contains any unauthorized modifications, this update may detect and remove them causing immediate or delayed unoperability of your Wii console."

I am scared shitless to click accept.

I'm trying to install cIOS 222 with Hermes Installer v4 for uLoader, but it keeps returning "from SD: hash BAD" when I tell it to install IOS 222 as IOS38 merged with IOS37. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Datschge

Jeels said:
Edit: The message when I update my Wii even says: Caution: If your Wii contains any unauthorized modifications, this update may detect and remove them causing immediate or delayed unoperability of your Wii console."
That's their standard FUD message. If you do everything according to the wiki there's nothing to be afraid of.

mooooose

Littlegator said:
I'm trying to install cIOS 222 with Hermes Installer v4 for uLoader, but it keeps returning "from SD: hash BAD" when I tell it to install IOS 222 as IOS38 merged with IOS37. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Hey bro.

Clipper

Jeels said:
Alright, and what about the new super mario bros wii update? Is my console in any danger if I accept that update? (Just bought the game).

I am scared shitless to click accept.
To avoid the danger, do the safe boot2v4 update here first. The disc update will then be perfectly safe for you.

Littlegator said:
You must have a bad set of partial channels on your SD already. If your Wii is online, go to the SD and you will notice a directory named 0000001 or something. Rename or delete that and the 222 installation should work. If you are trying the offline install, then you downloaded the wrong IOS or version. Follow the steps again and pay special attention to the version numbers.

Anony

Clipper said:
IOS202 is used by several homebrew apps for USB 2.0 support. The media players come with one, as suggested, but Hermes also has one (installed using the same installer as his other IOSes).

i believe i have usb 2.0 working already, but it says on their page to reinstall it?

ios 222? is that another thing to install

there needs to me a some sort of master ios guide

Birbo

Two more stupid questions!

• Can I run my Gamecube games off the hard drive?
  • If I format the hard drive through my 360 first and allocate 16GB of memory for the 360, will the remainder still be the right format for the Wii games?

Clipper

Birbo said:
Two more stupid questions!

• Can I run my Gamecube games off the hard drive?
    No.
  • If I format the hard drive through my 360 first and allocate 16GB of memory for the 360, will the remainder still be the right format for the Wii games?
    I don't know, but probably yes.
Answers in bold.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm still not able to run a lot of shit from the homebrew channel, mostly everything doesn't work. I really wish there was a way I could just revert everything and start from scratch.

Speevy

Banned
People keep asking about the Gamecube without understanding what their question actually means.

Once and for all, the USB Loader loads in Wii mode, which includes all of the Wii's functionality.

All methods for booting backup Gamecube games on either the Wii or Gamecube involve a disc or modification to the Gamecube memory card (which is only tricking your Gamecube/Gamecube mode into thinking there's a disc).

This difference is important because once you boot any Gamecube game, you're strictly limited to the Gamecube's hardware, which did not include any way to interface with USB.

So in conclusion, the only way to use a Configurable USB Loader to load both Wii and Gamecube games is by creating a custom IOS which loads both types of games under a common software setting. And once this was done, it would also need to allow you to interface with one or the other.

Something like "Okay boot Gamecube game in Gamecube mode...but load from USB!"

This would take some serious skill to accomplish, because the developers would always have to fight with Nintendo's 10 year old hardware to get a game working.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Woohoo, I at least got CUSBL loading. The problem now is that it freezes after it mounts my HDD.

Clipper

For the new page:

sprsk said:
Woohoo, I at least got CUSBL loading. The problem now is that it freezes after it mounts my HDD.
Most likely causes for this are IOS incompatibility or incorrect IOS installation. It could also be hard drive incompatibility.

First, try using the -222 version of Cfg (make sure you install IOS222 first if you haven't already or are unsure if you have). If that doesn't work, reinstall IOS249 and IOS222 according to the Wiki as if you had a 4.2 Wii updated by Nintendo, then try both versions of Cfg again. Also, try reformatting your drive to FAT32 (even if it is already) with guiformat (link is on the Cfg page of the Wiki).

If all that fails, try a different drive (or perhaps an SD card plugged into a USB SD card reader). If the other drive loads, then you know it's a hard drive incompatibility. The only thing to try here is formatting the drive to WBFS, but the chances of success that way are slim.

mooooose said:

sup moose

Clipper said:
To avoid the danger, do the safe boot2v4 update here first. The disc update will then be perfectly safe for you.

You must have a bad set of partial channels on your SD already. If your Wii is online, go to the SD and you will notice a directory named 0000001 or something. Rename or delete that and the 222 installation should work. If you are trying the offline install, then you downloaded the wrong IOS or version. Follow the steps again and pay special attention to the version numbers.

Ah, I see. I figured it was somewhere on the SD, but I didn't know it was stored in the 0000001 folder. I cleared just about everything else out trying to get rid of it. :lol Thanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fast as lightning, WiiMC 1.0.1 is out and fixes the NTFS crashes. Goodbye MPlayer CE.

minus_273

Banned
not ready for general public consumption yet, but ah what the heck, im quite proud of this thing right now. We still need to slap on a nicer UI and fix some update and sync issues before this goes out in the wild. Thought you guys might enjoy seeing what in the homebrew pipeline. Also thinking of adding friends list to wii code mapping and live like online notification and messaging functionality in future releases.

I suppose if you think you might use this in the future you should go an secure your username by registering at messageboardchampion.com

Gamercards for the Wii that auto update from the wii's game play logs like PSN cards.

ncard1.jpg

zerocrypto.png

-PXG-

minus_273 said:
not ready for general public consumption yet, but ah what the heck, im quite proud of this thing right now. We still need to slap on a nicer UI and fix some update and sync issues before this goes out in the wild. Thought you guys might enjoy seeing what in the homebrew pipeline. Also thinking of adding friends list to wii code mapping and live like online notification and messaging functionality in future releases.

I suppose if you think you might use this in the future you should go an secure your username by registering at messageboardchampion.com

Gamercards for the Wii that auto update from the wii's game play logs like PSN cards.

ncard1.jpg

zerocrypto.png

Holy shit.

EatChildren

Holy shit that is awesome. Really, really awesome.

Xabora

minus_273 said:

ncard1.jpg

zerocrypto.png
This is one of the most awesome things I've seen in a long time! :D

minus_273

Banned
there is still some work to be done with the database of box art. even with the giantbomb db there are things (ill explain in another post) that need to be done to make it completely seamless.

I will start a beta test after i hear back from a team mate on the project.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dumb question: I heard Cfg can now force a progressive output even in games not supporting it (ie. MadWorld). Is that true?
I'm asking because in that case I'd get rid of my crappy half-broken CRT and just use a VGA Box I already have to hook my Wii to a computer monitor... but of course before doing so I'd rather make sure.

Clipper

Jocchan said:
Dumb question: I heard Cfg can now force a progressive output even in games not supporting it (ie. MadWorld). Is that true?
I'm asking because in that case I'd get rid of my crappy half-broken CRT and just use a VGA Box I already have to hook my Wii to a computer monitor... but of course before doing so I'd rather make sure.
Yes, it has been able to do that for months. However, it seems it may not work for everyone. It works for the vast majority, though.

In order to use it, you need to set video to NTSC and video patch to All.

EatChildren

So, for the longest time now I've had my USB drive use two partitions; one NTFS, one WBFS. The former because I still use it for PC related stuff and because it holds media files for use with Wii homebrew, and the latter because its what I use for my Wii gaming.

However, I notice after awhile my WBFS partition kicks the bucket. Some games flat out stop working, and any game ripped to the drive wont work at all. Fixing it simply involves re-building the partition, but considering the size of my game library its really annoying to have to rip all my games all over again.

I suspect its a drive issue, but I was thinking maybe having just one FAT32 partition for all my stuff (computer files, media files, and Wii games) would maybe keep stability.

So I'm wondering, is there any downside to making the whole drive FAT32?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Clipper said:
Yes, it has been able to do that for months. However, it seems it may not work for everyone. It works for the vast majority, though.

In order to use it, you need to set video to NTSC and video patch to All.
Thanks, I'll try it :)

EatChildren

Jocchan said:
Thanks, I'll try it :)

I wish it worked for me :(. My Samsung LCD doesnt like it one bit.

You can install to FAT32, it installs it as a compressed .wbfs file and automatically splits it into multiple files if it comes out >4GB
Anastacio said:
I hear we can back up our games on a harddrive, so it'll load faster on the Wii - are we allowed to talk about that in here? Just to be on the safe side of things. =)
That's like the only thing anyone ever talks about in this thread :p

Pachimari

I hear we can back up our games on a harddrive, so it'll load faster on the Wii - are we allowed to talk about that in here? Just to be on the safe side of things. =)

minus_273

Banned
Made and icon and packaged it for the HBC.
icon.png

its a beta test, im leaving luck to heaven. ;)

Still testing and i need a few more people for the ncard private beta. PM me if you want access.

TunaLover

minus_273 said:

Wow.
About the GUI, there alot experienced people willing to work in a such interesting project, you probably know gbatemp, tehskeen and such, just ask for help there ;)

Tantric's GUI tools are pretty useful too, maybe he could help you too.

I tried to make an icon.png

ncardcopia.png

Clipper

EatChildren said:
So, for the longest time now I've had my USB drive use two partitions; one NTFS, one WBFS. The former because I still use it for PC related stuff and because it holds media files for use with Wii homebrew, and the latter because its what I use for my Wii gaming.

However, I notice after awhile my WBFS partition kicks the bucket. Some games flat out stop working, and any game ripped to the drive wont work at all. Fixing it simply involves re-building the partition, but considering the size of my game library its really annoying to have to rip all my games all over again.

I suspect its a drive issue, but I was thinking maybe having just one FAT32 partition for all my stuff (computer files, media files, and Wii games) would maybe keep stability.

So I'm wondering, is there any downside to making the whole drive FAT32?

How did you format the drive to WBFS in the first place? A lot of people that formatted with WBFS managers are now experiencing game corruption issues just like you. FAT32 does not have these problems.

The only downside I can see to making the whole drive FAT32 is that you can't have media files which are greater than 4GB on there. This does not affect large games (they are automatically split). This is only due to the loss of the NTFS partition. If you convert only the WBFS partition to FAT32, there are no disadvantages whatsoever and several advantages.

Clipper said:
How did you format the drive to WBFS in the first place? A lot of people that formatted with WBFS managers are now experiencing game corruption issues just like you. FAT32 does not have these problems.

The only downside I can see to making the whole drive FAT32 is that you can't have media files which are greater than 4GB on there. This does not affect large games (they are automatically split). This is only due to the loss of the NTFS partition. If you convert only the WBFS partition to FAT32, there are no disadvantages whatsoever and several advantages.

WBFS managers? As in something not like when USBLoader formats it for you?

Top Bottom