• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hawkian said:
You mean only WBFS? That would be useless to me as well. Why would they do that? :lol

*shrug* WBFS has been the standard people used for a long time. I dont recall FAT32 or NTFS originally working at all.

I'll download the latest stable build and see if it does read FAT.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hawkian said:
You mean only WBFS? That would be useless to me as well. Why would they do that? :lol

It's no longer updated, it was the same up until some time ago for CFG as well :)
Yep, I've said it many times but I'd really wish for CFG to look better... I didn't know GX was so robust in features now, I remember leaving Ultimate/GX for CFG pretty soon once the latter came out... is it feasible to get back into GX now or is it missing much as far bullet points?
I don't like using two loaders.
Does GX have the playtime log?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dash Kappei said:
Playing Online:
IIRC Capcom's server detect USB Loaders and they are even able to patch the online side of the game, and maybe they can ban you? Am I right?

It would be amazing if Nintendo's support for this title was an elaborate agreement with Capcom to fund advertising in return for banning all softmodded Wiis.

skybastos

Question about MHTri, I am planning on buying the game this Friday I have the console softmodded with 4.2 will I have any problem playing the game online ?

And another one, a friend of mine bought an USA Console, can he buy the European version and play in the European servers without problems ?

EatChildren

skybastos said:
Question about MHTri, I am planning on buying the game this Friday I have the console softmodded with 4.2 will I have any problem playing the game online ?

And another one, a friend of mine bought an USA Console, can he buy the European version and play in the European servers without problems ?

Tri works fine online on firmware 4.2 with softmods. Capcom may be able to detect if you're using a USB loader (I think) and could potentially ban you, but I dont know if thats true or even likely.

And yes, if he has the European copy of the game he can play on European servers, but again if Capcom can detect softmods and/or running from the USB they have the potential to ban.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
in that case I will play my copy of Tri off the Disc only. (when it finally gets here, :D ) Amazon said it shipped today

EatChildren

I'm not completey sure guys. I'm only going off what Dash Kappei said above. Maybe they cant detect squat and maybe if they can they dont really care. I'm just saying, though it probably pays to play safe until confirmation.

Clipper

Wow, I missed a lot of posts...

OK, as for MH Tri, I haven't heard any issues of bannings. I believe it's perfectly safe to play online. You do need to use an IOS222 merged with 37 or based off it, though (222 if you follow the Wiki). I don't think IOS249 base 37 will work, but it might too.

As for GX, can somebody please tell me what features it has that Cfg apparently doesn't? The only ones of any consequence I can think of are the NTFS support that corrupts your drive and the homebrew launching which is better left for the HBC. If there's something else you want, let us know, as we're sort of looking for things to add (being why the updates have slowed down).

Edit: Just realised I misread the statement that made me post that. Anyway, still post requests if you have them :D.

EatChildren

Clipper said:
As for GX, can somebody please tell me what features it has that Cfg apparently doesn't? The only ones of any consequence I can think of are the NTFS support that corrupts your drive and the homebrew launching which is better left for the HBC. If there's something else you want, let us know, as we're sort of looking for things to add (being why the updates have slowed down).

Feature wise, nothing. I use CFG because ultimately CFG is the most robust of the loaders. I love being able to tweak everything even if I usually dont, I love all the downloadable features, etc etc. A lot of what CFG supports can be found elsewhere, but CFG gives the impression it has more and that I like :p.

But CFG is still the most plain looking of all the loaders. WiiFlow is by far the nicest if you want a really stylish 3D display, thanks to all its options and in-loader style configuration, and GX just has a nice flow to it, the disk pop-up, the visual style, etc.

CFG is my favourite loader but it does have the visual zazz that the others do, especially WiiFlow. I'd love to see CFG be as robust in 3D style as WiiFlow. But then again, maybe it is and I'm just crap at confirguring everything :p.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, USB Loader GX disc pop up thing is great. The way CFG has it currently is pretty sloppy in comparison if you set it to show discs. Either you have to show it as discs all the time, or it has this really awkward 3D/2D Boxart->Disc transition.

And I'm not sure if CFG can do this, but a recent GX update lets you to go back to the USB Loader when you click "Wii Menu" in-game in the Home menu.

Theme Downloader in GX is also pretty neat, and would love to see a feature like that in CFG. GX also has Ratings, which I think is a bit better than a simple Favorites mode, but that's my personal preference. Genre system would also be a cool feature to add. You can have different sections in CFG right now, but iirc, there's a limit for the amount of categories, and I can't recall an easy way to make them outside of the Configurator program.

Threi

notag
I've been using GX from the beginning really, I like how it you can update it via the menu. That probably is in Configurable as well but I barely use that. GX is my favorite UI, just point and click.

Clipper

FSLink said:
Yeah, USB Loader GX disc pop up thing is great. The way CFG has it currently is pretty sloppy in comparison if you set it to show discs. Either you have to show it as discs all the time, or it has this really awkward 3D/2D Boxart->Disc transition.

And I'm not sure if CFG can do this, but a recent GX update lets you to go back to the USB Loader when you click "Wii Menu" in-game in the Home menu.

Theme Downloader in GX is also pretty neat, and would love to see a feature like that in CFG. GX also has Ratings, which I think is a bit better than a simple Favorites mode, but that's my personal preference. Genre system would also be a cool feature to add. You can have different sections in CFG right now, but iirc, there's a limit for the amount of categories, and I can't recall an easy way to make them outside of the Configurator program.
Thanks for the input.

The disc pop-up definitely won't be done. It's one of our in-jokes that spinning discs are at the top of the list to be implemented, as it is such a useless thing. Yes, Cfg can return to the loader too as of 57a.

Theme downloading is an interesting idea, although we would need someone to volunteer a site to host them. Cfg already has filtering by all the WiiTDB fields (this is in addition to the manual profiles you mention). That should already give you ratings and genre.

EatChildren

Clipper said:
It's one of our in-jokes that spinning discs are at the top of the list to be implemented, as it is such a useless thing.

Its useless but its stuff like this that will forever seperate CFG from the GX and WiiFlow in terms of looking professional, which I guess isn't your goal. As I said, I use CFG because I love how robust and supported it is, but unless it gets a GUI overhaul its always going to be the ugly duckling.

Feature wise there's nothing else I would add, other than GUI tweaks and enhanced 3D GUI support. Gameplay wise CFG loads nearly every game I own, allows me to tweak whatever I want to tweak, and has bells and whistles like cover downloads and future support. So, err, keep up the good work bro.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Clipper said:
Wow, I missed a lot of posts...

OK, as for MH Tri, I haven't heard any issues of bannings. I believe it's perfectly safe to play online. You do need to use an IOS222 merged with 37 or based off it, though (222 if you follow the Wiki). I don't think IOS249 base 37 will work, but it might too.

Edit: Just realised I misread the statement that made me post that. Anyway, still post requests if you have them :D.

223 with merged 38 and 37 works fine as well (though the Wiki instructs you to install a different merged variety which might be useful for other stuff, so sticking with 222 will save you some work that I undertook unnecessarily).

I didn't play online for very long at all, but it certainly seemed stable. I guess that's a funny way to feel though, how can I know what Capcom magic is waiting to ban me. I am willing to stick it out though.

The load times are absolutely glorious.

EDIT: Clipper you make CFG? Damn. Mad props. When it downloaded the MH3 cover art I was like wow.

JudgeN

anyways so i used the new cIOSX rev19 and works great.

I stuck it in my SD card apps folder(did not test just using my hard drive):
1. Create a new folder in your apps folder named "cIOSX_rev19-Installer"
2. Extract/Copy contents of download into folder
3. rename "cIOSX_rev19-Installer.dol" to "boot.dol"

To Install:
1. Open cIOSX_rev19-Installer with Homebrew
2. Use IOS249 during installation
3. A to agree to disclaimer
4. Select IOS37 v3869 then press A
5. If you have a network connection switch and use that, but if you want to use offline download this file and place it in the wad folder in the root of your card (sd:\wad)

This method apparently works on many different loaders so hopefully it will work with yours!!!

I used this guide above to get MH3 working, but Ive read that cIOSx rev 19 isn't recommend, did a mess something up? All my other games seem to be working fine though.

skybastos

Ok I am a little lost now, I followed the wiki

Installing Waninkoko's IOS249 for use with USB Loader

then I followed the 4.2 safe updater guide, do I need to change the IOS to play MHtri from the dvd ?

@Clipper
Thanks, another question my friend doesn't need to change the wii shop channel like the Japanese version right ?

Clipper

Hawkian said:
223 with merged 38 and 37 works fine as well (though the Wiki instructs you to install a different merged variety which might be useful for other stuff, so sticking with 222 will save you some work that I undertook unnecessarily).

I didn't play online for very long at all, but it certainly seemed stable. I guess that's a funny way to feel though, how can I know what Capcom magic is waiting to ban me. I am willing to stick it out though.

The load times are absolutely glorious.

EDIT: Clipper you make CFG? Damn. Mad props. When it downloaded the MH3 cover art I was like wow.
Yeah, 224 would also be OK. I just use 222 to refer to the three of them these days, given that there is no real difference between them.

And yeah, I'm on the dev team of Cfg now.

EatChildren said:
Its useless but its stuff like this that will forever seperate CFG from the GX and WiiFlow in terms of looking professional, which I guess isn't your goal. As I said, I use CFG because I love how robust and supported it is, but unless it gets a GUI overhaul its always going to be the ugly duckling.

Feature wise there's nothing else I would add, other than GUI tweaks and enhanced 3D GUI support. Gameplay wise CFG loads nearly every game I own, allows me to tweak whatever I want to tweak, and has bells and whistles like cover downloads and future support. So, err, keep up the good work bro.
A new GUI, which should also replace the console (although the console will still be reachable via option), is in the works, but the guy doing the changes isn't ready to release yet (although it does sound pretty great so far). Having said that, spinning discs are still definitely out of the question :lol.

JudgeN said:
I used this guide above to get MH3 working, but Ive read that cIOSx rev 19 isn't recommend, did a mess something up? All my other games seem to be working fine though.
The only people who will say rev 19 is bad are pirates, idiots or both. It is definitely the way to go. Nice to hear it does work with MH3 too.

skybastos said:
Ok I am a little lost now, I followed the wiki

Installing Waninkoko's IOS249 for use with USB Loader

then I followed the 4.2 safe updater guide, do I need to change the IOS to play MHtri from the dvd ?

@Clipper
Thanks, another question my friend doesn't need to change the wii shop channel like the Japanese version right ?
Playing it from the original DVD should work regardless. This IOS thing is only for playing from the hard drive.

As for the shop thing, I doubt it. You should never change your Wii Shop Channel these days. You will almost certainly brick.

EatChildren

Clipper said:
A new GUI, which should also replace the console, is in the works, but the guy doing the changes isn't ready to release yet (although it does sound pretty great so far). Having said that, spinning discs are still definitely out of the question :lol.

Well, if the GUI ever ends up as nice looking as WiiFlow I'll be over the moon. I really like using 3D disk covers, but I dislike pretty much all of the 3D displays in CFG. I like the ones in WiiFlow that display heaps, with the cover popping up towards the screen when you select it. Flows nicely!

Clipper said:
If there's something else you want, let us know, as we're sort of looking for things to add (being why the updates have slowed down).
The ability to back up and play Gamecube games from the hard drive would be great :p (I know, it's probably impossible.) Aside from that, maybe you could let us download game manuals and view them from the loader?

Clipper

nincompoop said:
The ability to back up and play Gamecube games from the hard drive would be great :p (I know, it's probably impossible.) Aside from that, maybe you could let us download game manuals and view them from the loader?
If GCN loading ever becomes a possibility and it doesn't require piracy to rip the games, it will go in. As for manuals, who would host them? The image sites already cost a lot to maintain, and manuals would add a bunch more images per game. It's just not practical.

Well I remember there were websites that let you download PSX game manuals and inject them into your PSX -> PSP eboots so that you could view them while playing on PSP. Maybe you could make the manuals black and white to save space? Or upload them as jpgs instead of pngs?

EatChildren

Actually Clipper, one GUI request; 3D displays that give the option to turn off the carousel.

Its a problem with WiiFlow too, so I dont know if its actually possible, but one thing I love about organising my library in a loader is having no double ups or looping. Its one of the reason I like the grid and flow options in CFG: myself and friends can browse titles, and it has a start and end.

Every 3D rendered browsing option operates like a carousel. I'd love for there to be an option to display cases like the 3D modes in WiiFlow or whatever, but have them arranged and sorted like the grid and flow options, with a start and end.

I might be alone in wanting that, but having a carousel display turns me off a lot of 3D browsers.

mclem

I've been using Configurable USB Loader for a while now (using the Neogaf theme), and I'm really starting to like it; while the software's fine, though, the hardware's a bit lacking; I'm just using a cheapie 16GB USB stick. Works great for playing a few games, but I can't put my entire Wii library on there.

As such, I'm thinking about picking up a decent USB hard drive for this and my PC data; it'll also make it a lot easier when I'm visiting my parents over Christmas and don't have to load up a huge pile of games. Is there anything important I should look out for when purchasing a hard disc for use with CFG USB loader? I know about the filesystem stuff, at least.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EatChildren said:
Actually Clipper, one GUI request; 3D displays that give the option to turn off the carousel.

Its a problem with WiiFlow too, so I dont know if its actually possible, but one thing I love about organising my library in a loader is having no double ups or looping. Its one of the reason I like the grid and flow options in CFG: myself and friends can browse titles, and it has a start and end.

Every 3D rendered browsing option operates like a carousel. I'd love for there to be an option to display cases like the 3D modes in WiiFlow or whatever, but have them arranged and sorted like the grid and flow options, with a start and end.

I might be alone in wanting that, but having a carousel display turns me off a lot of 3D browsers.

Nah I hear that. MH3 is the only game I have installed to the hd, so it just shows a trillion times :lol

EatChildren said:

I like you.

Clipper

mclem said:
I've been using Configurable USB Loader for a while now (using the Neogaf theme), and I'm really starting to like it; while the software's fine, though, the hardware's a bit lacking; I'm just using a cheapie 16GB USB stick. Works great for playing a few games, but I can't put my entire Wii library on there.

As such, I'm thinking about picking up a decent USB hard drive for this and my PC data; it'll also make it a lot easier when I'm visiting my parents over Christmas and don't have to load up a huge pile of games. Is there anything important I should look out for when purchasing a hard disc for use with CFG USB loader? I know about the filesystem stuff, at least.

This is going to be difficult, but try to avoid getting a drive that has a sector size other than 512 bytes. Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not specify the sector size they use. The drives with size other than 512 bytes have only started showing up in the last year or so and the current libraries for Cfg don't support them properly.

Also, make sure you don't get a drive that is enclosed in a USB hub. Those don't work properly. Hardware encryption or other hardware applications and so on are also no-nos.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Clipper said:
This is going to be difficult, but try to avoid getting a drive that has a sector size other than 512 bytes. Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not specify the sector size they use. The drives with size other than 512 bytes have only started showing up in the last year or so and the current libraries for Cfg don't support them properly.

Also, make sure you don't get a drive that is enclosed in a USB hub. Those don't work properly. Hardware encryption or other hardware applications and so on are also no-nos.

Is there something fundamentally different here?

I have an IDE drive formatted to FAT32 and it works really well, enclosed in a USB enclosure with an external power. It works great for me though.

Rich!

Going on holiday soon (june), taking the Wii with me.

Hoping that Mario Galaxy 2 works out the box on the USB loaders, but I'm betting it won't. I don't want to have to take loads of discs with me. :lol

Ah well. I'll find out when I pick it up on release day I guess.

EatChildren

richisawesome said:
Hoping that Mario Galaxy 2 works out the box on the USB loaders, but I'm betting it won't. I don't want to have to take loads of discs with me. :lol

I'm willing to be this as well. They tried to block it with NSMB Wii and I expect them to do the same with Galaxy 2, Other M, and Zelda Wii.

I just hope that at the worst it has to be run from the disk. If it wants to install some Homebrew breaking update I'll have to wait until I can play. And that will make me very sad.

Rich!

EatChildren said:
I'm willing to be this as well. They tried to block it with NSMB Wii and I expect them to do the same with Galaxy 2, Other M, and Zelda Wii.

I just hope that at the worst it has to be run from the disk. If it wants to install some Homebrew breaking update I'll have to wait until I can play. And that will make me very sad.

Yeah same. I must play Mario Galaxy 2, but I'm no way ever losing my homebrew and region free.

It's making me concerned as to whether I should import the game or not - I don't want to have to wait a month for the EU release date. But if it's got some kind of shitty update/protection on it, I may well have wasted my money. Sucks.

bathala

Banned
I finally got my Wii to 4.2 mod.
now I'm trying install Hermes cIOS using the cIOS installer but I keep getting failed -1017

edit: nvm got it using Waninkoko cIOS38

bryehn

Hey guys I think i screwed up :/

Trying to get MH3 working from USB GX (r929).

Installed Hermes 222/223 (using params in tutorial) and cIOS rev 19 (using instructions above)

Now I can't load ANY games from USB GX at all and it just hard freezes every time I try to load a title.

NeoGamma won't pick up my USB drive at all. Everything still shows in WBFS manager and USB GX.

Hopefully I can just reformat my USB stick?

If not, how can I "start from scratch" again? I have a launch day Wii and have been messing w/ homebrew and cIOS installs as long as they've been around. I don't still need a copy of Zelda right?

Edit: Tried installing the USB GX r929 WAD and it came back with an error (1019?), think I've totally screwed myself.

If I back up all my saves and format, will it go back to the stock firmware tht my Wii came with in 2006 or just to "4.2" (I recently updated to 4.2 from 4.1 using safe updater)?

ANY help at all is super appreciated guys :)

TunaLover

My ncard

tunalover.png
:D

Datschge

bryehn said:
Now I can't load ANY games from USB GX at all and it just hard freezes every time I try to load a title.
Try updating your USB GX. I had a similar issue after updating to the first Cfg version which used ios249, hanging while loading games. Now I'm using a more recent version of Cfg and ios249 works smoothly, telling me the issue actually wasn't the IOS but the support for it within Cfg. So now that you updated your ios you may need to also update USB GX to support those IOS versions.

FSLink said:
Why not the Snapshot method?
But anyway, making your own gct with the dual gct method works.
The Snapshot method doesn't seem to load all modifications. Dedede's forward smash doesn't cause tripping with the Snapshot version, for example (unless I'm setting it up wrong somehow).

I've heard of the Dual GCT method but I could never find a clear guide of how to set it up, hence my asking.

Clipper

LouieGeetoo said:
The Snapshot method doesn't seem to load all modifications. Dedede's forward smash doesn't cause tripping with the Snapshot version, for example (unless I'm setting it up wrong somehow).

I've heard of the Dual GCT method but I could never find a clear guide of how to set it up, hence my asking.
Just get the .gct and put it in the cheats folder, then turn on Ocarina in Cfg. The Brawl+ .gct is fully supported without any issues in Cfg now (or at least that's what I hear).

bryehn said:
Hey guys I think i screwed up :/

Trying to get MH3 working from USB GX (r929).

Installed Hermes 222/223 (using params in tutorial) and cIOS rev 19 (using instructions above)

NeoGamma won't pick up my USB drive at all. Everything still shows in WBFS manager and USB GX.

Hopefully I can just reformat my USB stick?

If not, how can I "start from scratch" again? I have a launch day Wii and have been messing w/ homebrew and cIOS installs as long as they've been around. I don't still need a copy of Zelda right?

Edit: Tried installing the USB GX r929 WAD and it came back with an error (1019?), think I've totally screwed myself.

If I back up all my saves and format, will it go back to the stock firmware tht my Wii came with in 2006 or just to "4.2" (I recently updated to 4.2 from 4.1 using safe updater)?

ANY help at all is super appreciated guys :)

Formatting won't change any of your IOSes. It will just remove installed channels.

As long as you haven't been installing any old crap on your Wii (e.g., cIOScrap), then start the GWHT from the beginning as if your Wii was a fresh Wii and it will all work. Even if you have other stuff on there, the GWHT procedures should all work.

As for MH3, use Cfg and choose 222 in the options for that game if you are using the parameters listed in the tutorial.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
bathala said:
got Q

I'm thinking of buying some Wiiware stuff.

will it detect my console as homebrew, and not be able to play?

I've dropped hundreds of dollars into the Wii Shop channel over the years and have never had any issues at all.

bathala

Banned
Mejilan said:
I've dropped hundreds of dollars into the Wii Shop channel over the years and have never had any issues at all.
sweet might grab some wares

another Q

wats the verdict Classic Controller Pro or still Gamecube (not wavebird)?

I tried to play Ogre Battle only for the controller icon to pop out :(

klix108

hey guys, I'm a long time lurker here and was wondering if I could get some help with my wii.

I softmodded my wii around 8 months ago, and haven't really been up to date on the scene since then. I just bought MH3 today, and my wii's disc channel is telling me that I need to update, but I feel like this may brick my wii. I have a 4.0U system according to my settings page.

any suggestions on what I should do? I completely forget what I did to hack my wii, although I do have an SD card folder on my computer with everything that was on it when my wii was hacked. Would I be able to use anything from here to get MH3 running?

bathala said:
sweet might grab some wares

another Q

wats the verdict Classic Controller Pro or still Gamecube (not wavebird)?

I tried to play Ogre Battle only for the controller icon to pop out :(
I think it has a lot to do with both personal preference and the specific game. I like the GCN controller, so for N64 games that are analog/A/B heavy it's my preference. However, for SNES games that are d-pad/B/Y heavy something like the Classic Controller is more natural.
klix108 said:
hey guys, I'm a long time lurker here and was wondering if I could get some help with my wii.

I softmodded my wii around 8 months ago, and haven't really been up to date on the scene since then. I just bought MH3 today, and my wii's disc channel is telling me that I need to update, but I feel like this may brick my wii. I have a 4.0U system according to my settings page.

any suggestions on what I should do? I completely forget what I did to hack my wii, although I do have an SD card folder on my computer with everything that was on it when my wii was hacked. Would I be able to use anything from here to get MH3 running?
A few simplish solutions.

1) Get something like GeckoOS to run through the homebrew channel. This will let you boot discs and bypass any updates. A bit of a pain to need to do that each time you start the game, though.

2) The odds of even the more recent "dangerous" official updates bricking your Wii is still very tiny. If you haven't messed with the homebrew stuff in a long while it will probably delete that, but if you first update the homebrew channel to a more recent version, it will be protected from deletion.

3) To avoid even that chance, though, there is a workaround method that can be run through the homebrew channel. Details at the wiki.

So I don't have a USB hard drive ready to use with it at the moment, but I'm going through the setup for USB Loader and all the necessary IOSes following the wiki. Looking at the Preparing your hard drive section...
Your Wii games need to be installed to either a FAT partition or a WBFS partition on the drive. Most external drives come formatted as FAT32 and do not need to be reformatted for use with the loader. If you use a FAT partition, you can still use the drive for other non-Wii related storage.
Soooo given that most drives are going to come that way standard, and it seems to offer more functionality, is there any reason one wouldn't go the FAT route?

Datschge

JoshuaJSlone said:
Soooo given that most drives are going to come that way standard, and it seems to offer more functionality, is there any reason one wouldn't go the FAT route?
Not really. A WBFS partition would effectively hide the games from usual computers (unless it has specific apps installed capable of reading it), maybe there are people who prefer that. An NTFS partition can be read, but you can't install your games onto it.

So does anyone know what the "updates" are on the MHTri disc? I'm currently installing it, but the only thing I can imagine they could detect on their end is what System Menu I'm on (currently 4.1). To be honest, I can't imagine that Nintendo's back end could be remotely savvy enough to be able to tell though, let alone Capcom.

Oh for Clipper: I have no idea if this is remotely possible, but one thing I'd like to see in CFG is for it to tell you whether you need to update your IOS. Even better if it could download and start the process for you too, but I have no programming knowledge or skills so I don't know if it's even feasible.

Also would be nice to have more esoteric options available from CFG itself instead of having to manually edit cfg files. :/

Top Bottom