• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Def Jukie

Clipper said:
You can always go back into StartPatch and disable any of your previous hacks to see if it does affect things.

If it is a locked save, the save protection removal hacks should allow you to copy it about in any case. Had you enabled those?

I went back into StartPatch and disabled the no copy protection patches and was able to backup my save. Funny how it locked save data that was not locked to begin with. Thanks.

Odd question: Is there a way to use cheats (like Ocarina cheats) for Gamecube games on the Wii? I have an Action Replay disc, but it would be great if I could simply activate cheats from a downloadable list like in Cfg.

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Odd question: Is there a way to use cheats (like Ocarina cheats) for Gamecube games on the Wii? I have an Action Replay disc, but it would be great if I could simply activate cheats from a downloadable list like in Cfg.
I can only suggest you look at Gecko OS.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok, so I've never pirated games or ripped games to USB before, so I don't have a USB drive on my system. With that being said, quick question. Can I rip my Netflix disc to SDHC card and run it from there? I am guessing from scanning the wiki that I can't, but I figured I would ask just to make sure.

I have Netflix on my PS3, but hate having to load the disc when I just have a spur of the moment "let's see if this is available". I don't have gold, nor do I want it, for my 360. My TV is hooked up to my PC, but it's slightly more inconvenient to switch inputs on the TV and stereo and get a netflix browser moved over to that desktop from my PC monitor than it would be to launch netflix from the Wii menu.

edit - oh, should have mentioned.. my wii is already hacked and working fine. I just booted up red steel 2 which loaded an update (as did NSMBWii) and after both I tested out my homebrew and it still works fine. So I'm not asking for any detailed instructions.. just wondering if it's possible and if I should bother to continue looking for instructions on how to do it.

Clipper

borghe said:
ok, so I've never pirated games or ripped games to USB before, so I don't have a USB drive on my system. With that being said, quick question. Can I rip my Netflix disc to SDHC card and run it from there? I am guessing from scanning the wiki that I can't, but I figured I would ask just to make sure.

I have Netflix on my PS3, but hate having to load the disc when I just have a spur of the moment "let's see if this is available". I don't have gold, nor do I want it, for my 360. My TV is hooked up to my PC, but it's slightly more inconvenient to switch inputs on the TV and stereo and get a netflix browser moved over to that desktop from my PC monitor than it would be to launch netflix from the Wii menu.

edit - oh, should have mentioned.. my wii is already hacked and working fine. I just booted up red steel 2 which loaded an update (as did NSMBWii) and after both I tested out my homebrew and it still works fine. So I'm not asking for any detailed instructions.. just wondering if it's possible and if I should bother to continue looking for instructions on how to do it.

Yes, you can do it. It would be better if it were an SD card rather than SDHC as they have better compatibility, though. You will need to follow all the steps from the tutorial except the installation of HBC and use IOS249 to run Cfg. You will also need to edit the config.txt file to add "device=sdhc" instead of "device=usb". You should hopefully be able to leave your card formatted as FAT32, but you may have to create a WBFS partition on there if that doesn't work.

I'm looking into buying a USB hard drive for my Wii from Newegg, does anyone have any recommendations for which brands are most reliable/best value?

Come on, somebody must have some insight into USB hard drives. Is this (500 GB Seagate for $70 shipped) a good deal? Also should I format it as WBFS or can I just leave it at FAT32?

Can't say if that's a good deal or not, but Seagate is my favorite brand of HDD, I've had many over the years and not a single one has failed on me yet.

You don't need to format it to WBFS, I use FAT32.

Yazan

I was trying to install startpatch for my 4.1U console but kept receiving error message 1029. Any help?

Want to play PAL games (living in Europe but own an US console).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've never used StartPatch (prefer Priiloader), but a -1029 sounds like it's not finding a patched IOS to use for installation.

Re: HDDs, I've been using the same 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go since the inception of USB Loaders and it's still going strong. No real issues.

Naked Snake said:
Can't say if that's a good deal or not, but Seagate is my favorite brand of HDD, I've had many over the years and not a single one has failed on me yet.

You don't need to format it to WBFS, I use FAT32.
If I use FAT32 then how will I play games that are over 4GB?

Mejilan

I'm still using WBFS from long ago, but it's my understanding that if you run the loader on a FAT32 HDD, it installs the games to these special WBFS-wrapped partitions, and that games can span multiple partitions in the event that they don't fit in just one. Something like that.

Speevy

Banned
Can someone give me a link to a good deal on those hard drives which don't have to be plugged into the wall?

I have a feeling my 160 GB (which has served me well) is going to die soon.

So I got my HD just now, first I tested it on my computer to make sure it worked, then I started up USB Loader GX and was in the process of dumping Another Code R when it threw an exception and crashed. I reloaded USB Loader GX but it just crashes immediately when I select a partition. I plugged it back in my computer and it's asking me to format it. First of all, is there anything I can do to prevent myself from losing the files I originally moved from my PC? (They weren't that important, but still...). Secondly, the only formatting options are NTFS and exFAT. Can exFAT even be used with the iso loaders? Finally, is there another way to format it as FAT32 or WBFS using my PC?

EDIT - Figured out how to format as FAT32 using command line. Guess a few of my DOS games are gone forever lol. Can anyone explain why it threw an exception and crashed while I was dumping my game?

Speevy said:
Can someone give me a link to a good deal on those hard drives which don't have to be plugged into the wall?

I have a feeling my 160 GB (which has served me well) is going to die soon.

Here's a FreeAgent Go (the model I'm using, except mine is black): 500GB for 99$.

Works brilliantly, just make sure you turn off spindown.

Clipper

Yazan said:
I was trying to install startpatch for my 4.1U console but kept receiving error message 1029. Any help?

Want to play PAL games (living in Europe but own an US console).
StartPatch requires an IOS with the ES Identify patch. The later versions of IOS249 don't have that. You will need to install IOS222 or a patched IOS36 (see first steps of IOS249 tutorial) and pick that .

nincompoop said:
Guess a few of my DOS games are gone forever lol. Can anyone explain why it threw an exception and crashed while I was dumping my game?

Yes. You were using USB Loader GX. The recent versions of GX are notoriously buggy and don't work properly with updated IOSes (e.g., rev 19 of IOS249). Did the drive perhaps come formatted as NTFS? The GX install code is known to corrupt NTFS partitions is why I ask. Your solution is to use Configurable as suggested in the tutorial.

BTW, I have no clue what you mean by the DOS games comment. Then again, rereading your post I noticed that it seems you moved some stuff from the PC. I guess those were the games in question... Never mind.

Bebpo

Banned
Mejilan said:
I've never used StartPatch (prefer Priiloader), but a -1029 sounds like it's not finding a patched IOS to use for installation.

Re: HDDs, I've been using the same 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go since the inception of USB Loaders and it's still going strong. No real issues.

Hmm, yeah I could never get startpatch to work. Always got -1029 error.

I'm still on 4.0J, and got startpatch for 4.0J but it never worked. Since I haven't turned on my Wii for months it hasn't been a problem. Hope I can run SMG2/Metroid/Xenoblade on 4.0J or else I'll need to mess around with this stuff again.

Clipper

Bebpo said:
Hmm, yeah I could never get startpatch to work. Always got -1029 error.

I'm still on 4.0J, and got startpatch for 4.0J but it never worked. Since I haven't turned on my Wii for months it hasn't been a problem. Hope I can run SMG2/Metroid/Xenoblade on 4.0J or else I'll need to mess around with this stuff again.
It seems there's a bug in the 4.0 version of StartPatch. Back when I added StartPatch to the GWHT, there were multiple issues with that particular version. The only solution may be to upgrade the firmware to 4.2.

Finally got my hard drive formatted. I installed Another Code R with configurable USB Loader and it works! Then I went to install Metroid Prime Trilogy and it says to use a different IOS instead of CIOS249 rev14 for installation/playback because it's a dual-layer game. How do I select a different IOS for installing it? If I go into game options I can choose which IOS to use for Another Code R (in fact I had to to get it working), but it seems that I can't change the game options for MP Trilogy until I install it.

Clipper

nincompoop said:
Finally got my hard drive formatted. I installed Another Code R with configurable USB Loader and it works! Then I went to install Metroid Prime Trilogy and it says to use a different IOS instead of CIOS249 rev14 for installation/playback because it's a dual-layer game. How do I select a different IOS for installing it? If I go into game options I can choose which IOS to use for Another Code R (in fact I had to to get it working), but it seems that I can't change the game options for MP Trilogy until I install it.

You choose the IOS for installation via a config.txt option. However, it is probably a much better idea for you to install rev 19 of IOS249 instead.

I know it's kind of lame to reply so late, but I didn't understand exactly, so I just want to ask one last thing to clarify.

Clipper said:
There is no update which can stop you installing BootMii to boot2 if you could do it before. However, it turns out that the Wiis that can't install BootMii all shipped with boot2v4 and previous Wiis shipped with boot2v3 or earlier.

Thus, you can update a boot2v3 Wii to boot2v4, which will delete BootMii, but you can reinstall BootMii afterwards. Those Wiis that shipped with boot2v4 have other differences (in boot1 which cannot be changed after manufacture) and they will never be able to install BootMii in boot2.

If you do the official update now, then you will need to reinstall IOS249 and Hermes' IOS222/223 if you had them installed. The HBC, BootMii and any homebrew on the SD card will be safe.

You say that if I were to get the new update, which has boot2v4, it would delete BootMii. But then you say that BootMii will not be deleted if I update. Or do you mean that BootMii will not be deleted only if it is on the SD card?

I have never downloaded any custom IOSes, so that isn't a concern.

A friend of my brother lend him the Wii, and I'm trying to install the HB channel to play NSMB Wii. (the Wii is on 3.1U)
I started with BootMii, but I'm stuck on whether to install as boot2 or IOS. I don't know when the Wii was purchased, any way to check? (by serial number?)

Nevermind, got past that.
Now I'm stuck at the StartPatch thing. It seems there's no version for 3.1U firmware...

So what to do? Safe update to 4.2 and then Startpatch? Or just upgrading to 4.2 will stop NSMBWii from prompting the update?

Kirby102

Hey GAF, I have my friend's US Wii in my possession to fix.. since he sort of half-bricked it...

What I mean by half brick is that, loading games work, which is ok. But the problem lies within the settings 'page'.

It seems that they have done something to update/remove/corrupt the settings page, and now I can't even connect to my Internet cause the settings is FUBAR'd, it "Opera error'd" me.

I have the HBC installed, but I can't get an internet connection cause I'm not able to. I was wanting to just simply wipe the Wii, but I can't do that either >_>...

What do I do? :(

Clipper

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I know it's kind of lame to reply so late, but I didn't understand exactly, so I just want to ask one last thing to clarify.

You say that if I were to get the new update, which has boot2v4, it would delete BootMii. But then you say that BootMii will not be deleted if I update. Or do you mean that BootMii will not be deleted only if it is on the SD card?

I have never downloaded any custom IOSes, so that isn't a concern.
BootMii will be deleted if boot2 is updated. NSMB Wii and the official 4.2 update will attempt to install boot2 if and only if you are using a Wii that does not have boot2v4 already. If your Wii shipped with boot2v4, then BootMii couldn't have been installed as boot2 as those Wiis come with a corrected boot1.

The safest method for you to update is now as follows:

1. Perform the boot2v4 safe update.
  2. Reinstall BootMii into boot2.
  3. Update to 4.1 with NSMB Wii from your region

Instead of the final step, you can run the Safe 4.2 Update method OR update via Nintendo's official method and then reinstall IOS249 and IOS222/223 if necessary.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Nevermind, got past that.
Now I'm stuck at the StartPatch thing. It seems there's no version for 3.1U firmware...

So what to do? Safe update to 4.2 and then Startpatch? Or just upgrading to 4.2 will stop NSMBWii from prompting the update?
Check my list above for the technique you should follow. By doing the safe boot2v4 update, you don't need StartPatch any more. I'll fix the tutorial to reflect this soon.

Kirby102 said:
Hey GAF, I have my friend's US Wii in my possession to fix.. since he sort of half-bricked it...

What I mean by half brick is that, loading games work, which is ok. But the problem lies within the settings 'page'.

It seems that they have done something to update/remove/corrupt the settings page, and now I can't even connect to my Internet cause the settings is FUBAR'd, it "Opera error'd" me.

I have the HBC installed, but I can't get an internet connection cause I'm not able to. I was wanting to just simply wipe the Wii, but I can't do that either >_>...

What do I do? :(
What firmware was it on when it bricked? Semi-bricks can typically be fixed by updating with a disc from the same region. The best disc to try this with would be NSMB Wii given that it has the 4.1 update on it (nothing updates to 4.2 yet).

Kirby102

Clipper said:
-snip-

What firmware was it on when it bricked? Semi-bricks can typically be fixed by updating with a disc from the same region. The best disc to try this with would be NSMB Wii given that it has the 4.1 update on it (nothing updates to 4.2 yet).
It was pre-4.0, but I couldn't see the FW since... it's corrupted already. :(

I have used NUS Auto Downloader to retrieve the System Menu files, but I have installed them, but weirdly enough it doesn't update it... because if it did work, I would've gotten the SD card menu, but I did not.

Unfortunately, neither do I nor my friend have NSMBWii :( Should there be an alternative to factory reset the Wii itself? (eg. uninstalling each IOS)

Thanks for the assistance :D

Clipper

Kirby102 said:
It was pre-4.0, but I couldn't see the FW since... it's corrupted already. :(

I have used NUS Auto Downloader to retrieve the System Menu files, but I have installed them, but weirdly enough it doesn't update it... because if it did work, I would've gotten the SD card menu, but I did not.

Unfortunately, neither do I nor my friend have NSMBWii :( Should there be an alternative to factory reset the Wii itself? (eg. uninstalling each IOS)

Thanks for the assistance :D
Updating the System Menu alone is not enough. You need to update the IOS and some other things. Try using Dop-Mii to install 4.1.

You can also try using the app shown at this link which will get all the files needed for a firmware.

Kirby102

Clipper said:
Updating the System Menu alone is not enough. You need to update the IOS and some other things. Try using Dop-Mii to install 4.1.

You can also try using the app shown at this link which will get all the files needed for a firmware.
...dammit. Seems that I have overlooked the install IOS before System Menu... >_>

Well I've got it to work now :D Yay for settings and downloading via NUS. Found out what version it was before, 3.4E (on a US Wii). Also explains the double Weather and News Channels (2Ws & 2Ns). Slapped 4.2U on it so it's all good, other than that little problem.

Thanks heaps :D

Clipper said:
Check my list above for the technique you should follow. By doing the safe boot2v4 update, you don't need StartPatch any more. I'll fix the tutorial to reflect this soon.

I have already installed IOS249 and IOS222/223... doing that technique will erase them? Then again, I guess I don't need them to just play NSMB Wii?

Clipper

Allan Holdsworth said:
I have already installed IOS249 and IOS222/223... doing that technique will erase them? Then again, I guess I don't need them to just play NSMB Wii?
They will only be erased (technically they are replaced) if you use the official Nintendo update. They can be reinstalled afterwards.

farnham

Banned
So I bought a fairly recent Korean Wii game and I tried to boot it up through gecko os and it didnt work. Then I also installed a cIOS for korean language support and booted the game through a modified gecko os. it still does not work. Does anybody know how to run a korean wii game on a PAL wii console..?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
My old Wii appears to be bricked, I am not touching my new one, what are the chances of Nintendo transfering purchases from my old console to my new one, if both are registered to me?

Clipper

farnham said:
So I bought a fairly recent Korean Wii game and I tried to boot it up through gecko os and it didnt work. Then I also installed a cIOS for korean language support and booted the game through a modified gecko os. it still does not work. Does anybody know how to run a korean wii game on a PAL wii console..?
Make sure you turn the VIDTV patch on. If that's not enough, you might also want to test it with a USB Loader (You don't have to rip any games... Cfg can launch discs and supports a few more games than Gecko).

Bojanglez said:
My old Wii appears to be bricked, I am not touching my new one, what are the chances of Nintendo transfering purchases from my old console to my new one, if both are registered to me?
You would probably need to send the old one to them in order for that to have any chance of happening. Good luck.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Clipper said:
You would probably need to send the old one to them in order for that to have any chance of happening. Good luck.

Cheers for the info, but fuck that, I will just never buy another thing from Nintendo online until they have purchases tied to an account rather than a console.

Is it normal that MPlayerCE and a few other applications don't recognize my hard drive unless I plug it in after starting my Wii? I'm not sure why that would be the case for some programs but not others (I don't have to do that with Configurable USB Loader).

farnham

Banned
Clipper said:
Make sure you turn the VIDTV patch on. If that's not enough, you might also want to test it with a USB Loader (You don't have to rip any games... Cfg can launch discs and supports a few more games than Gecko).
tried both

didnt work unfortunately..

Clipper

nincompoop said:
Is it normal that MPlayerCE and a few other applications don't recognize my hard drive unless I plug it in after starting my Wii? I'm not sure why that would be the case for some programs but not others (I don't have to do that with Configurable USB Loader).
Your drive probably takes a long time to wake up from idle mode or something. Cfg tries harder to load the drive properly and does a better job than the other homebrew, I guess.

Clipper

I just released v57a of Cfg with a feature that might interest some people.

You can now change what happens when you select the Wii Menu button in the home menu to load any channel ID instead. Thus, you can have all games run by Cfg return to the HBC, or even a forwarder channel so that you return to Cfg when quitting a game launched by Cfg.

Unfortunately, the feature is incompatible with the play logging feature (you need to hit the Wii Menu in-between games for that), but if you don't mind that, this is a much easier and faster alternative than using Priiloader for autoboot.

Birbo

Never popped into this thread before, but I just saw this guide on Lifehacker about backing your Wii games to an external hard drive and thought I'd check here for the skinny on it. Looks awesome, but what is the likelihood of accidentally bricking the Wii after it's been hacked? Not worth it if I jack up my system.

Mejilan

The instructions on Clipper's wiki tutorial are fairly idiot-proof, and the likelihood of bricking is roughly the same as during a routine firmware update (in some cases, perhaps even less!)

Speevy

Banned
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to anything technology-related, and I've yet to run across any major problems with the instructions Clipper has provided.

Birbo

Sounds good! I managed to soft-mod my Xbox, so I was hoping it wouldn't be any more challenging than that.

So once I do this, do I need to avoid all system updates?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If I am able to post a Link from Life hacker they have a comprehensive guide how to install & run the Wii USB loader

if the source link is ok

i am going to try this out tomorrow night and get some of my Wii collection on a USB HDD

Nabs said:
use the gaf wiki instead. http://gwht.wikidot.com/

I will use that as well :D

Top Bottom