• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

D-X

I finally just got Gecko OS running and my problems are solved. A big thank you to the people in the scene who made Bloody No More Heroes and bypassing Wii updates possible.

Although I have to run TP every time I want to play a game I thought there was a way to do it directly through the homebrew channel?

D-X said:
I finally just got Gecko OS running and my problems are solved. A big thank you to the people in the scene who made Bloody No More Heroes and bypassing Wii updates possible.

Although I have to run TP every time I want to play a game I thought there was a way to do it directly through the homebrew channel?

Once you have the Homebrew channel installed you can launch GeckoOS directly from there by putting the geckoOS files in the apps directory.

Quick import question: I am getting TvC soon, but after reading some impressions on Disaster, I figured I might get it too...but I was wondering if there was any option to have English subtitles in the Japanese game...or if I would be better of and getting the Euro version? Anyone play the Japanese version, let me know...otherwise, I'll get the PAL version.

Thanks

markatisu

Nobodyspatzy said:
Quick import question: I am getting TvC soon, but after reading some impressions on Disaster, I figured I might get it too...but I was wondering if there was any option to have English subtitles in the Japanese game...or if I would be better of and getting the Euro version? Anyone play the Japanese version, let me know...otherwise, I'll get the PAL version.

Thanks

As far as I know the JP version has all the menu text and game options in Japanese while the dialogue is English

I went with PAL and it runs just fine on a Wii under Gecko OS, it really is a good game.

markatisu said:
As far as I know the JP version has all the menu text and game options in Japanese while the dialogue is English

I went with PAL and it runs just fine on a Wii under Gecko OS, it really is a good game.

Cool, I was thinking of going with PAL anyway (just talked to one of my British friends...he'll sell and send me his copy for cheap). Can't wait to try a software based region mod for once!

*I still recall the 2 failed attempts of region-modding my old Saturn*

Thanks for the reply!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
My HBC 0.8-equipped Wii is still running 3.2E firmware, and Dizasutaaa Day of Crisis prompted me to update.
Should I just accept, or try something else?

KurowaSan

Jocchan said:
My HBC 0.8-equipped Wii is still running 3.2E firmware, and Dizasutaaa Day of Crisis prompted me to update.
Should I just accept, or try something else?

you can bypass game updates by using gecko os to play the game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KurowaSan said:
you can bypass game updates by using gecko os to play the game.
Thanks.
What's the best way to update my system from 3.2 to the latest version?
I hear the Wii Music disc update (followed by a few custom installs) is fine, does Disaster have the same pre-October 3.3 version as Wii Music?

Balb

This has probably been asked a million times by now but I checked the last few pages and didn't find anything on it. I want to download some VC/WW games but it says I need to update my firmware to access the Wii Shop Channel. How would I bypass this?

Balb said:
This has probably been asked a million times by now but I checked the last few pages and didn't find anything on it. I want to download some VC/WW games but it says I need to update my firmware to access the Wii Shop Channel. How would I bypass this?

It's a few pages back.

FWIW I updated the shop and I think my firmware is at 3.3u

ne1

While Gecko OS works great and all, the whole boot wii -> boot Homebrew channel -> boot Gecko OS -> boot game got on my nerves after a while. If you want to bypass that process and just boot the games from the disc channel you can install Starfall:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Starfall
It patches the system menu and lets you enable features as region free wii/gc, bypassing disc updates and bypassing the health menu. You can enable and remove all the hacks separately. There is a catch, though:
These hacks only work with the System Menu 3.2E(v290) or 3.2U(v289). If you have any other version, it will just return to the loader. If you have another version of the System Menu you may consider using AnyRegion Changer 1.1 to install 3.2X to your console.
When you install it don't forget to rename the dol to boot.dol and when the installer says to press B+2 you actually have to press B+1.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I've been using this as a way to watch my UK comedy DVDs in the U.S.

Watching off the memory card is fine. But whenever I use a DVD, the menus don't work properly and the only thing that will run them is the barebones functional MPlayer. Does anyone here know of a better solution?

Maaseru

Banned
Can I or rather should I update my wii from 3.1 to 3.4 and how?

I got hbc and things up and running but wanna play TvsC , DDOC and NarutoEX3.

BAsically how do I go from 3.1 to 3.4

Linkhero1

Maaseru said:
Can I or rather should I update my wii from 3.1 to 3.4 and how?

I got hbc and things up and running but wanna play TvsC , DDOC and NarutoEX3.

BAsically how do I go from 3.1 to 3.4
I advise you not to update to 3.4. If you're able to rent Wii Music, use the update on that disc which is 3.3V1.

Maaseru

Banned
Where do I go from there, I can definitely get wii music tomorrow. ?an play the games from 3.3?
or
Do i do the update and start from there?

Linkhero1

Maaseru said:
Where do I go from there, I can definitely get wii music tomorrow. ?an play the games from 3.3?
or
Do i do the update and start from there?
I'm sure all the games you listed work with 3.3V1 considering they work for me. You'll need GeckoOS to launch the games though.

Maaseru

Banned
So went to rent Wii Music, they don't have it.

How can I then update to 3.3v1?

Can I download it somehow online then aplly it?

Is there another game with the update, should i go to 3.4 then downgrade?

Can I play TvsC on 3.1v for some reason?

Also I the gecko os I have is 1.5, does it matter?

Is it cheap/easy to get your Wii to play imports? I want Tatsunoku vs. Capcom.

EDIT: And does it help that I haven't updated/turned on my Wii in at least 4 months? The last game I played was Wii Fit when it first came out.

CassSept

So I have 3.2E Wii and want to try these WiiWare games.
So i have to do what? Use TwilightHack, install homebrew channel and then this IOS51 installer?
And if I want to play new games GeckoOS, and that's all?

Jimmy Stav said:
Is it cheap/easy to get your Wii to play imports? I want Tatsunoku vs. Capcom.

EDIT: And does it help that I haven't updated/turned on my Wii in at least 4 months? The last game I played was Wii Fit when it first came out.
It's pretty easy and only costs the price of an SD card. I just spent the morning playing my Christmas present to myself (Disaster: Day of Crisis).

1) Use the Twilight Hack to install the Homebrew channel onto your Wii
2) Download Gecko OS and install it on the SD card
3) Start up your Wii, inserting the import disc
4) Click on the Homebrew Channel
5) Start Gecko OS
6) Launch the game
7) ???
8) Profit

??? - Many PAL-version GCN games won't work on a US Wii :(

You can get more detailed instructions on how to do each of the other steps by reading the thread.

So, at the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I need the Wii version of TP to do the Twilight Hack?

Damn, I only have the GC version. :(

Linkhero1

_Alkaline_ said:
So, at the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I need the Wii version of TP to do the Twilight Hack?

Damn, I only have the GC version. :(
Yeah, you need the Wii version. If a friend of yours has the Wii version ask him if you can borrow it for a day.

Linkhero1 said:
Yeah, you need the Wii version. If a friend of yours has the Wii version ask him if you can borrow it for a day.

I would, problem is I live in Australia (imported a US Wii earlier this year, sold my PAL console) so, as a result, not many people around me are going to have US copies of TP.

Seems like the only way to do it will be to import TP. Faaaaark. Given the shitty exchange rate and the fact TP hasn't really come down in price, makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Tenbatsu said:
Any rental shop available _Alkaline_?

Not one that would have the US version of TP, to my knowledge anyway. :(

I wouldn't be so bothered by this if it wasn't for NOA's incompetence and the fact that NOE is actually starting to release some great games that don't appear to be anywhere on NOA's radar.

_Alkaline_ said:
Not one that would have the US version of TP, to my knowledge anyway. :(

I wouldn't be so bothered by this if it wasn't for NOA's incompetence and the fact that NOE is actually starting to release some great games that don't appear to be anywhere on NOA's radar.
I got mine off the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Being able to play Disaster: Day of Crisis on my US Wii is well worth the price you'll pay.

Linkhero1

Baconbitz said:
This has probally been asked but, does the the homebrew channel work with the current update?
It should. You just need the latest TP hack. If you haven't updated, it's recommended not to update for now.

CTLance

Baconbitz said:
Another question. Is it possible to somehow make a 4 gig SD card work?
If my memory doesn't fail me you need to fill it up with a 2GB file or something, then it sorta-kinda works. Hell, even other Wii saves/channels work, as long as the free space is smaller than 2GB.

Also, make sure it's a SD card and not a SDHC card, as those can only be read by the HBC IIRC.

To be safe wait for others to confirm this though. I'm not entirely sure about that stuff anymore.

Baconbitz

Banned
CTLance said:
If my memory doesn't fail me you need to fill it up with a 2GB file or something, then it sorta-kinda works. Hell, even other Wii saves/channels work, as long as the free space is smaller than 2GB.

Also, make sure it's a SD card and not a SDHC card, as those can only be read by the HBC IIRC.

To be safe wait for others to confirm this though. I'm not entirely sure about that stuff anymore.
Well I have a SDHC so I guess that won't work even though I was told by someone else that it would work.

TunaLover

Baconbitz said:
Well I have a SDHC so I guess that won't work even though I was told by someone else that it would work.

HomeBrew Channel 10 is compatible with SDHC, even various apps are being developed to be SDHC enabled.

jrricky

Banned
I updated the Homebrew browser and its still giving me the error that "this is not a valid application'. Did anyone solve this yet?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't have that problem, and mine are up-to-date.
Worst case scenario, download the apps directly using your PC and set them up on your SD card manually.

markatisu

jrricky said:
I updated the Homebrew browser and its still giving me the error that "this is not a valid application'. Did anyone solve this yet?

No problems, here or on my brothers, or my friends who I set up and we are all updated.

If its the Homebrew Browser why dont you just delete it and download it manually

http://www.codemii.com/wiihomebrew/homebrew_browser_v0.2.5a.zip

As long as you unzip this into the apps directory it should load fine

panda21

can I use this geckoOS to force my PAL GC version of ikaruga to play in 480p/60hz somehow? (on a PAL wii)

i display on an lcd via the awesome xcm box but my screen won't accept 50hz..

hoping i can do the same with metal slug anthology to force 480p

manzo

panda21 said:
can I use this geckoOS to force my PAL GC version of ikaruga to play in 480p/60hz somehow? (on a PAL wii)

i display on an lcd via the awesome xcm box but my screen won't accept 50hz..

hoping i can do the same with metal slug anthology to force 480p

Ikaruga is 50hz optimized, so no. Same as with Tales of Symphonia.

markatisu

jrricky said:
so umm, what apps read off of USB harddrives?

Some of the mplayer apps will (they usually note what they can read off)

Go here and look around http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

Most of the app pages will say what they can read off (SD Card, Network, etc)

Not sure if you guys saw but over the last week Visual Boy Advance GX got updated again, but I do not think the update has hit the Homebrew Browser yet

* Fixed save state saving bug
* Fixed unstable SD card access
* Proper SD/USB hotswap (Wii only)
* Auto-update feature (Wii only)
* Rewritten SMB access - speed boost, NTLM now supported (Wii only)
* Improved file access code
* Resetting preferences now resets controls
* Minor bug fixes

suikodan

CTLance said:

I bought a Kingston SDHC 16Gb card and the HBC doesn't seem to see it. I did put some apps on the card but the HBC screen is empty.

Do I need to format it in a specific format? I've read in some places that I could fill up the card so that the size is under 2Gb but it seem stupid since I want to use the 16gb space.

Anyone knows something?

suikodan said:
I've read in some places that I could fill up the card so that the size is under 2Gb but it seem stupid since I want to use the 16gb space.

Anyone knows something?

Could you fill it up with some other stuff, then put the stuff you want onto it, and then delete some stuff you don't want to put on more stuff that you do want?

Does that even make sense to anyone else? :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Interesting.. I have HBC installed.. I've had it installed for the longest time.. but recently, I was trying to log onto Wii Shop Channel, but the Wii kept crashing on me; I put in my SD card, and bam, works fine.

So weird, and it almost gave me a heart attack. :lol

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
:lol Whoops. That REALLY made no sense. My bad. What I meant to ask was this:

Are any of you on 3.4 with the homebrew channel installed?

Top Bottom