• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Cynar

ne1 said:
While Gecko OS works great and all, the whole boot wii -> boot Homebrew channel -> boot Gecko OS -> boot game got on my nerves after a while. If you want to bypass that process and just boot the games from the disc channel you can install Starfall:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Starfall
It patches the system menu and lets you enable features as region free wii/gc, bypassing disc updates and bypassing the health menu. You can enable and remove all the hacks separately. There is a catch, though:
When you install it don't forget to rename the dol to boot.dol and when the installer says to press B+2 you actually have to press B+1.

Installed this today, no more health screen, disc check and region free! Woo! <3 3.2 forever

I imported TvC, and my set up is 3.2E with Starfall but i still have to boot Gecko to make TvC run.
it shows in the disc channel but i get a black screen.

STUPID NINTENDO REGION BLOCKING FOOLS

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Does anyone know of any Wii homebrew that would allow me to mass-backup all of my Wii saves in one batch? I'd really rather not do them one-by-one using the Wii's OS.

Ditto for GCN saves?

Thanks. I dicked around with some apps on the Homebrew Browser, but none of them seem to really work.

Anony

Mejilan said:
Does anyone know of any Wii homebrew that would allow me to mass-backup all of my Wii saves in one batch? I'd really rather not do them one-by-one using the Wii's OS.

Ditto for GCN saves?

Thanks. I dicked around with some apps on the Homebrew Browser, but none of them seem to really work.

i was looking for this too, found nothing
your only option is to do them one by one, and the ones with online, you need that savegame installer/manager (which is annoying because you need to physically put in the disc for it to backup the savefile)

Mejilan

Yeah, I noticed that.
I'm really surprised that no one's whipped up such an app. You'd think it'd be fairly easy, compared to the higher level hacks and app being developed.

Ah well.

DefectiveReject said:
I imported TvC, and my set up is 3.2E with Starfall but i still have to boot Gecko to make TvC run.
it shows in the disc channel but i get a black screen.

STUPID NINTENDO REGION BLOCKING FOOLS

Oh man I'd be pissed. It'll be quite some time before I can afford to import, but I'd be furious if I went through all of the cost/hassle of importing only to have them not work.

I hope you are able to fix the issue!

markatisu

Mejilan said:
Yeah, I noticed that.
I'm really surprised that no one's whipped up such an app. You'd think it'd be fairly easy, compared to the higher level hacks and app being developed.

Ah well.

You can mass backup GCN saves now in one shot (its a new app that came out in the last week of Dec/1st week of Jan), the name escapes me at the moment.

You just insert your GCN mem card and start the app and it will allow you to backup everything

However for the Wii there is still no mass backup app yet

Linkhero1

markatisu said:
You can mass backup GCN saves now in one shot (its a new app that came out in the last week of Dec/1st week of Jan), the name escapes me at the moment.

You just insert your GCN mem card and start the app and it will allow you to backup everything

However for the Wii there is still no mass backup app yet
Is this what you're talking about? http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM

I'd love if someone made a Wii Save Manager.

Mejilan

Linkhero1 said:
Is this what you're talking about? http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM

I'd love if someone made a Wii Save Manager.

Tried it and it doesn't work. Links seems to suggest that only third party GCN memory cards are supported, and frankly, I wouldn't be caught dead using third party memory cards as a primary means of saving my games!

Linkhero1

Mejilan said:
Tried it and it doesn't work. Links seems to suggest that only third party GCN memory cards are supported, and frankly, I wouldn't be caught dead using third party memory cards as a primary means of saving my games!
I didn't read the link :p and I think it's pretty stupid if it doesn't support first party GCN memory cards.

Mejilan

Oh, that's alright. Actually, I should thank you for that link. I was contemplating trying to figure wtf I was doing wrong, and now I don't need to be bothered. The app's just shite, at the moment! :D

Zoc

I want to hack my JPN Wii, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Has there been a patched version of Twilight Princess released in any region? I ask because used copies of JPN TW are going for over retail on Japanese auction sites.

2. The title of the thread says that 3.4 is hackable, but not to update anyway. Why not? My new Wii is still 3.3, but I'd like to update so I can check out the Wii Shopping Channel. What advantage is there to sticking with 3.3?

Mejilan

I don't think TP was ever patched. Could be wrong.
As of 3.4, the terms of service changed and suggest that perhaps Nintendo will begin to invisibly push updates in the future.

Zoc said:
I want to hack my JPN Wii, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Has there been a patched version of Twilight Princess released in any region? I ask because used copies of JPN TW are going for over retail on Japanese auction sites.

2. The title of the thread says that 3.4 is hackable, but not to update anyway. Why not? My new Wii is still 3.3, but I'd like to update so I can check out the Wii Shopping Channel. What advantage is there to sticking with 3.3?

I've been using the Wii Shop channel and I'm on 3.3

In fact I've never been prompted to update to 3.4 I don't have Animal Crossing though, so I suppose that's where the update comes from.

Mejilan

Yeah, I failed to mention that you can independently update the Wii Shop Channel and Mii Plaza Channel by homebrew means, without installing the feature-breaking later-3.3 and 3.4 updates. The My Nintendo Channel update hosted in the Wii Shop Channel is safe, as is the Wii Speak Channel.

Linkhero1

comedy bomb said:
I've been using the Wii Shop channel and I'm on 3.3

In fact I've never been prompted to update to 3.4 I don't have Animal Crossing though, so I suppose that's where the update comes from.
Animal Crossing has 3.3 still, I believe. I don't think they can force you to update to 3.4.

Zoc

So the only disadvantage to 3.4 is a new terms of service? That seems minor.

I'll stick with 3.3 and take a look at the store, though. It didn't occur to me that they wouldn't prompt an update if I tried to use it.

Mejilan

And the threat of pushing future (homebrew-breaking) updates through automatically, without your approval.

Also, I'm on 3.3U, and AC won't run for me without running the on-disc update. I have to use GeckoOS to launch the game.

Slappy967

Neo Member
How much of a hassle is it to play import Wii/GC games on a Wii after installing the hack? I only ask because I am so leery of bricking my Wii and all I want the hack for is for imports anyway? I have been reading up on the HBC for awhile but I guess I have committment issues:D

My Wii is really trying to convince me to update to 3.4. Three times today I've received messages about it. It's taking the joy away from the blinking blue light.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JoshuaJSlone said:
My Wii is really trying to convince me to update to 3.4. Three times today I've received messages about it. It's taking the joy away from the blinking blue light.

That seems like an odd delay... you just got the alerts NOW?

markatisu

Slappy967 said:
How much of a hassle is it to play import Wii/GC games on a Wii after installing the hack? I only ask because I am so leery of bricking my Wii and all I want the hack for is for imports anyway? I have been reading up on the HBC for awhile but I guess I have committment issues:D

You start the Homebrew Channel, then start Gecko OS and play your game. Its like a 1 1/2 min process

I have now soft modded 5 Wii's with Homebrew and it blows my mind how anyone can brick the unit, its just too easy to put the stuff on there without even getting to a point of messing anything up

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
comedy bomb said:
Oh man I'd be pissed. It'll be quite some time before I can afford to import, but I'd be furious if I went through all of the cost/hassle of importing only to have them not work.

I hope you are able to fix the issue!

I think he meant that he need GECKO and only Gecko to be able to run the game, which is a bit more of an hassle compared to other apps.

Or not? WTF, I remember people using Gecko and TatsunokoVSCap in the game's thread (damn, it better be so since my import copy has already been shipped)!

Tenbatsu

Is there a way to change lets say, a US Wii to a Japanese Wii? I remember I read that there is some region changer thingy before.

Tenbatsu

Thank you Aeana. Dam that Monster Hunter G/3 pay to play thingy. I got to buy a cheap US Wii and flash it to a Japan one.

Nemesis_

I'm running 3.2U on my US Wii (imported into Australia) and have just installed Homebrew Channel. Should I update to 3.3 or is there really no point? I'd like to access the Wii Store ideally but if I can't it's no big deal.

Dash Kappei

Soo... my Wii is coming back from assistance with 3.4 on (I assume,) will I have any problem reinstalling HBC and Gecko now (or installing them for the first time since it may even be a whole new console)? 'cause TatsuVSCap is on its way damnit, should be here monday!

Mejilan

I'm pretty sure there's a 3.4-friendly version of the Twilight Hack. Hell, the thread title alone suggests it.

Nemesis, I'm on 3.3U, and I've been able to update the separate components with the newest versions (My Nintendo Channel, Wii Speak Channel, Mii Plaza Channel, Wii Shop Channel) without updating the core to 3.4U. Wii Speak and My Nintendo can be safely downloaded from the updated Wii Shop Channel. You need to use safe homebrew installers to update the Wii Shop and Mii Plaza Channels, however.

Nemesis_

Mejilan said:
Nemesis, I'm on 3.3U, and I've been able to update the separate components with the newest versions (My Nintendo Channel, Wii Speak Channel, Mii Plaza Channel, Wii Shop Channel) without updating the core to 3.4U. Wii Speak and My Nintendo can be safely downloaded from the updated Wii Shop Channel. You need to use safe homebrew installers to update the Wii Shop and Mii Plaza Channels, however.
Ahh, okay. I'm not at home right now, but I suppose that stuff is in the Homebrew Browser?

Dash Kappei

Mejilan said:
I'm pretty sure there's a 3.4-friendly version of the Twilight Hack. Hell, the thread title alone suggests it.

Yep, there's where I coming from so what I'm really asking is why the "but don't update either"? Also, seeing as someone above complained about TvsC and region blocking, I was gettin scared maybe Gecko didn't run anymore or as well with the hacked 3.4.

?

Mejilan

For 3.4 and on, Nintendo changed the Wii's terms of service. Installing 3.4 entails agreeing to that new ToS. The new ToS basically says that Nintendo is now entitled to silently push future updates without your approval.

I don't actually expect Nintendo to ever do this, but supposedly they could, theoretically, push an update that kills the HBC, homebrew, everything.

Captain N

I've got 3.3U and have the homebrew channel and can't add any of the things needed to play imports. I keep getting errors.

DDayton

Okay. I have a question for everyone here.

Does anyone know if there is any way to use current homebrew or computer utilities to -verify- that a Wii disk is -readable-?

I purchased a used copy of Fire Emblem recently, and I have 10 days to return it if it doesn't work -- however, it would be hard to play through the entirety of the game in that time and establish that the disk is in fully working condition. Does anyone know if there is a way to verify that an entire Wii disk is -readable-?

I know, this veers dangerously close to certain topics, but I just want to find a way to determine if a disk has unreadable spots.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DavidDayton said:
I purchased a used copy of Fire Emblem recently, and I have 10 days to return it if it doesn't work -- however, it would be hard to play through the entirety of the game in that time and establish that the disk is in fully working condition. Does anyone know if there is a way to verify that an entire Wii disk is -readable-?

Unless the disk is in woeful condition it should read fine. How scratched is the disk?

DDayton

EatChildren said:
Unless the disk is in woeful condition it should read fine. How scratched is the disk?

Not that scratched, but I dislike buying disks with ANY scratches, and it seems like with all the little pirates out there, there is surely SOME way to verify that a disk is readable. The only problem is that I'm not sure if there is a way to do that short of actually copying a Wii disk to your hard drive.

Anyone know whats up with my Genesis Plus? I've loaded it on the SD card and everything, boot up the emulator through the HBC, load a rom then just get a blank screen after its supposedly loaded. :(

The emulator hasn't crashed or anything, I can still press home and it brings up the emulator menu to do settings, load new rom etc etc.

I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

PAL Wii, 3.2 firmware.

Dizzle24

Awesome thread here.

The thought of adding Homebrew to my Wii just popped into my head after a year of owning one... so I am up for the challenge. :lol

Problem is, I am at version 3.3U I believe (not at home atm to check), might even be at 3.4U--I really hope not.

So, I have read through many pages here... and I just can't see what exactly I need to do in order to add a Homebrew channel to my Wii, and to enable it to play Import games.

Can someone explain it for me in steps? For version 3.3U, and (3.4U worst case senario).

Would it be easier to "soft mod" just to do temp region changes to play certain games from PAL land and Japan land? Or better to hard mod it, install that Gecko thing or Starfall..

HALP GAF!! I luff you!

Ledsen

Dizzle24 said:
Awesome thread here.

The thought of adding Homebrew to my Wii just popped into my head after a year of owning one... so I am up for the challenge. :lol

Problem is, I am at version 3.3U I believe (not at home atm to check), might even be at 3.4U--I really hope not.

So, I have read through many pages here... and I just can't see what exactly I need to do in order to add a Homebrew channel to my Wii, and to enable it to play Import games.

Can someone explain it for me in steps? For version 3.3U, and (3.4U worst case senario).

Would it be easier to "soft mod" just to do temp region changes to play certain games from PAL land and Japan land? Or better to hard mod it, install that Gecko thing or Starfall..

HALP GAF!! I luff you!

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

All you need is Twilight Princess, an SD card and a computer. What do you mean "soft mod" and "hard mod"? With the Homebrew Channel you can do anything with your Wii, no need for a modchip or anything like that.

Bizzyb

Banned
Hey guys, I have 3.3U but I can't use the shop or Nintendo channel without updating. I heard there was a way to use them without updating but couldn't find it. Any help?

Borman

Yeah you might have to google for it, but there is a Wii Shop fix or patcher or something like that. Worked on my friends Wii with no issues

Top Bottom