• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

masterkajo

I have Wii system 3.2E and a Freeloader to play US Brawl. Recently, I got Disaster Day of Crisis. But I heard that the update blocks the freeloader. Then a friend of mine told me I should get the homebrew channel because I can then use Gecko (?) to play brawl even after the update. But I have to install the HBC before updating (using the Twilight Hack).

As I am not into homebrew at all at the moment, could someone give me a quick list of things I need to get the HBC with gecko working so I can play Brawl and Disaster.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
masterkajo said:
I have Wii system 3.2E and a Freeloader to play US Brawl. Recently, I got Disaster Day of Crisis. But I heard that the update blocks the freeloader. Then a friend of mine told me I should get the homebrew channel because I can then use Gecko (?) to play brawl even after the update. But I have to install the HBC before updating (using the Twilight Hack).

As I am not into homebrew at all at the moment, could someone give me a quick list of things I need to get the HBC with gecko working so I can play Brawl and Disaster.

Thanks, much appreciated!
Make sure you backup your Zelda save before starting, then format your SD card and follow this guide: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13922935&postcount=3169

You might also want to install selective updates for the Wii Shop (and, if you care, the Mii Channel) so you can keep using it without having to update your system. You can find them on wiibrew.org.

wackojackosnose said:
How are the emulators for the Wii? Are they better than the VC stuff or worse, specifically the NES, SNES9x, Gen Plus and PC Engins emulators?

Thanks.
N64 sucks. Haven't tried PC Engine. The others seem to run fine, but the image quality seems slightly worse than the VC versions in a way I can't quite put my finger on. Old versions of one of the SNES emulators forced a blur, but even with that turned optional it doesn't quite seem the same.

TunaLover

NES, SNES, Genesis, SMS, GBA, NeoGEO pocket emulators are excellent IMO, you could some problems with sound hicups veeeery far in between, you can on/off filters, they have nice features like load roms from USB storage divices, SDHC support, even Super Scope and Zapper support -I still get problems with Super Scope-. SEGA's Phaser works like a dream except for Safari Hunter which has a little calibration problem.

Don't even try the N64 one, that sucks.

BTW, someone knows how get Super Scope working correctly?
To be more specific, Super Scope was compatible with Lethal Enforcers? or you need the Konami special gun?

The Genesis emu looks almost as good as VC but it has one HUGE advantage in my eyes: no controller hiccups. On the VC, on games like Ristar where you're supposed to hold down a button and release it at a speciffic time, sometimes the VC emu will have the controller signal interrupted and register a nonexistent "button up" event. This drives me CRAZY and is not present in the Genesis HB Emu. Advantage Homebrew Channel.

masterkajo

I finally installed the Wii HBC today and I also used GeckoOS for playing SSBB and it works great. However, I am not sure (even though everything seems to work properly) that I did everything right; because when installing HBC after some accepting and installing the screen went black and stayed there until I shut my Wii off (power button, because reset wouldn't work). So I tried to do some research but I couldn't find if this should be the case or not. Just a quick "You're ok!" or "Sorry pal! It should have..." would suffice.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
masterkajo said:
I finally installed the Wii HBC today and I also used GeckoOS for playing SSBB and it works great. However, I am not sure (even though everything seems to work properly) that I did everything right; because when installing HBC after some accepting and installing the screen went black and stayed there until I shut my Wii off (power button, because reset wouldn't work). So I tried to do some research but I couldn't find if this should be the case or not. Just a quick "You're ok!" or "Sorry pal! It should have..." would suffice.
Do you happen to have connection issues, ie. a wireless router not working properly?
I'm asking this because nearly two years ago, because of my router being half-broken, sometimes my Wii got stuck before loading channels (apparently the console checks your Internet connection before loading every channel), giving me a black screen like yours. The only thing I could do was turning the console off by holding the power button.

masterkajo

Jocchan said:
Do you happen to have connection issues, ie. a wireless router not working properly?
I'm asking this because nearly two years ago, because of my router being half-broken, sometimes my Wii got stuck before loading channels (apparently the console checks your Internet connection before loading every channel), giving me a black screen like yours. The only thing I could do was turning the console off by holding the power button.
I am not online at the moment because my parents do not own a wireless router and I cannot check until next week when get home again.
But just to be clear the black screen happend directly after the installation. I read somewhere that the Wii should reboot itself after installing the HBC and that clearly didn't happen to me. That was my concern. But everything works so far.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I really hope they get the hack working with 3.4u. Apparently it still doesn't work unless you've already had the HB channel running previously. I really only want it for ScummVM.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
masterkajo said:
I am not online at the moment because my parents do not own a wireless router and I cannot check until next week when get home again.
But just to be clear the black screen happend directly after the installation. I read somewhere that the Wii should reboot itself after installing the HBC and that clearly didn't happen to me. That was my concern. But everything works so far.
I wouldn't worry, then.

d+pad

wackojackosnose said:
How are the emulators for the Wii? Are they better than the VC stuff or worse, specifically the NES, SNES9x, Gen Plus and PC Engins emulators?

Thanks.

The NES, SNES and Genesis emulators work wonderfully on the Wii, if you ask me. The PC Engine one, unfortunately, is spotty. Some games run relatively flawlessly, while others run with multiple glitches. It's too bad the folks who made the Magic Engine won't release a version for the Wii...

The Hermit

So, my brother decided it was a good idea to click on the Wii Update icon showing in the game slot... too bad that game was the Pal Disaster I imported :(((((

Now I have a semi brick...
Is there any way I can revert this? The only way I found was downgrading the firmware, but I don´t know if this will work since its a pal update... Is there an easy way t downgrade the firmware?

The bastard flew back home and never told me this... :/

TunaLover

Make a downgrade through HBC, AnyRegionChanger is the most safe IMO. In the system menu option select 3.2U, AFTER the downgrade you can upgrade normally through Wii if you want.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyRegion_Changer

Make sure read carefully how use app.

Code:
AnyRegion Changer will also install System Menu 3.2 and the appropriate IOS for any of the three main regions. 

The system menu installation feature should work universally. That is, regardless of what System Menu you have installed, you should be able to upgrade/downgrade to 3.2 for any region with this feature. This is accomplished via a temporary patched IOS which incorporates bushing's IOSDelete patch and Waninkoko's AddTicket version check patch. This IOS is only installed if necessary, and it is deleted immediately after use.

The Hermit

So all I have to do is run Anyregion changer and then re update using a game with a nstc3.3 update for example?

Well, I'll try that tomorrow, thanks!

TunaLover

Yep, AnyRegion Changer will downgrade to 3.2U.

From there you can upgrade -if you want- to 3.3U 3.4U

3.2u is the most homebrew friendly firmware, so you could keep on 3.2u

So I'm running 3.4U and the hack starts, but I keep getting error 0300. I've used both boot.elf and .dol, yet I encounter the same problem every time. Any advice?

The Hermit

TunaLover said:
Yep, AnyRegion Changer will downgrade to 3.2U.

From there you can upgrade -if you want- to 3.3U 3.4U

3.2u is the most homebrew friendly firmware, so you could keep on 3.2u

Sorry about the late reply, but I just tried this yesterday night and it didn´t work...

Is there another way to downgrade? Or is my Wii permanently semi-bricked?

Dascu

cann3dheat said:
So I'm running 3.4U and the hack starts, but I keep getting error 0300. I've used both boot.elf and .dol, yet I encounter the same problem every time. Any advice?
You sure you got the correct Twilight Hack for 3.4U?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hi guys ..

so I put HBC with few app on my Wii ( 3.2U ) , every thing work fine I guess ( tried ScummVM and some Tetris clone app and both works ) .

now how can I skip in-Disc firmware updates ? also what app should use for Japanese games ( Imports ) or is that built in with HBC already ?

thanks in advance

Totobeni said:
hi guys ..

so I put HBC with few app on my Wii ( 3.2U ) , every thing work fine I guess ( tried ScummVM and some Tetris clone app and both works ) .

now how can I skip in-Disc firmware updates ? also what app should use for Japanese games ( Imports ) or is that built in with HBC already ?

thanks in advance

Gecko OS

You'll need it to run imports and to bypass updates.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash's "Quest for HBC Glory" follow-up:

So, I had Noe send me a new Wii because the 3.4 repaired one they gave me back wasn't reliable at all. This time it came with only 3.1 firmware installed, the default launch one IIRC, should I upgrade to 3.2 E and then going HBC from there? Mario Galaxy has 3.2, am I right?

I'm enjoying my 3.1 + Freeloader a great deal since I can play Tatsunoko vs Capcom with no problems whatsoever, thing is that they've linked the new console with my previous account on Wii Shop, and I'll need to run the shop to re-download each one of my VC/Wiiware games: What exactly do I need in terms of updates and m.o. so that I don't screw up badly?

I'm pretty bad with this kind of things, so if you guys can hold my hand a little :p going through this process that'd be really appreciated :)

Linkhero1

Dash Kappei said:

So, I had Noe send me a new Wii because the 3.4 repaired one they gave me back wasn't reliable at all. This time it came with only 3.1 firmware installed, the default launch one IIRC, should I upgrade to 3.2 E and then going HBC from there? Mario Galaxy has 3.2, am I right?

I'm enjoying my 3.1 + Freeloader a great deal since I can play Tatsunoko vs Capcom with no problems whatsoever, thing is that they've linked the new console with my previous account on Wii Shop, and I'll need to run the shop to re-download each one of my VC/Wiiware games: What exactly do I need in terms of updates and m.o. so that I don't screw up badly?

I'm pretty bad with this kind of things, so if you guys can hold my hand a little :p going through this process that'd be really appreciated :)
Pardon me for my ignorance but don't Wiiware games require higher firmware than 3.1? I don't actually have any Wiiware games so I don't know. I would just upgrade to 3.2 because it can still use the freeloader. You can also install HBC if you feel like it's necessary and you're going to use it but seeing that you want to play imported games only stick with 3.2 E and Freeloader.

I believe Smash Bros. has 3.2 (Well at least I think they do in America.)

Good luck

TunaLover

Baiano19 said:
Sorry about the late reply, but I just tried this yesterday night and it didn´t work...

Is there another way to downgrade? Or is my Wii permanently semi-bricked?

Try IOS downgrader, always 3.2U
That should work, it seems like sometimes AnyRegion Changer got stuck for some reason, happen to me.

If that doesn't work, then wait for 3.5U :D

TunaLover

Tenbatsu said:
Any region changer will get your Wiishop channel stuck in a certain region now?

If you installed the latest Wii Shop Channel update, or the patched update -IIRC- YES. Better don't mess with the Wii Shop Channel region.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dash Kappei said:

I would install the update in Smash Bros (which, IIRC, is the latest I installed myself), then - once you have 3.2E - install the HBC with the Twilight Hack, and then the Wii Shop update (I have it running on 3.2E and it works like a charm).

Dash Kappei

linkhero said:
Pardon me for my ignorance but don't Wiiware games require higher firmware than 3.1?

I guess so, I wouldn't know for sure since the repair service didn't bother to add my WW and VC games to the new Wii, only the gamesaves.

Jocchan said:
I would install the update in Smash Bros (which, IIRC, is the latest I installed myself), then - once you have 3.2E - install the HBC with the Twilight Hack, and then the Wii Shop update (I have it running on 3.2E and it works like a charm).

Ok, thanks a bunch, choosing Tona's Wii Shop update do I have to do something about the "option to patch the signature hash check (fakesign bug)"?

Do I need to run every game through Gecko to bypass updates or can I just us the usual disc channel?
Also, the SD card must be formated in FAT32, right?

Dash Kappei

OK guys, THIS IS FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE

I'm on 3.1E and YET I can run Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy WITHOUT them asking me for any update!

If you guys don't believe me I'll make a video, but really what the fuck is going on?
Now I don't know what to do here... I need to upgrade to 3.2 but HOW?!

Also I've installed HBC with Gecko 1.07b but it says "not a valid Wii application" when the emu and Mplayer work flawlessy...

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
OK guys, THIS IS FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE

I'm on 3.1E and YET I can run Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy WITHOUT them asking me for any update!

If you guys don't believe me I'll make a video, but really what the fuck is going on?
Now I don't know what to do here... I need to upgrade to 3.2 but HOW?!

Also I've installed HBC with Gecko 1.07b but it says "not a valid Wii application" when the emu and Mplayer work flawlessy...

I don't know why your Wii is skipping the disc updates unless you installed one of the homebrew patches that blocks them at some stage. I believe you should be able to manually install the necessary IOS for 3.2 using one of the homebrew update extractor type applications, but I don't know the procedure.

As for the "not valid Wii application thing", read the manual ;). It's a known problem that many .elf files aren't properly constructed and HBC no longer supports them. It's pretty easy to convert them to the .dol format though. Instructions are here.

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
I don't know why your Wii is skipping the disc updates unless you installed one of the homebrew patches that blocks them at some stage. I believe you should be able to manually install the necessary IOS for 3.2 using one of the homebrew update extractor type applications, but I don't know the procedure.

As for the "not valid Wii application thing", read the manual ;). It's a known problem that many .elf files aren't properly constructed and HBC no longer supports them. It's pretty easy to convert them to the .dol format though. Instructions are here.

Nope, I tried to update the firmware BEFORE running any homebrew.
That Wii was a little virgin, just out of the box :D
That's so damn strange, I've never read anything like that.
Maybe new Wiis come with selected updates already installed? But then why the firmware is still 3.1E and how is it possibile that I was able to run the freeloader with import titles like Tatsunoko vs Capcom?

As for the Gecko problem, well I thought it was "up to date" since it's the last release, no need to convert it though (I've tried doing that but I can't get the command lines to work even with the proper macosx version) since I've found an updated dol version of 1.7b... thanks for the heads up.

About the Tona Wii Shop update, do I have to install both the updates in it or not? What do you recommend?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dash Kappei said:
Ok, thanks a bunch, choosing Tona's Wii Shop update do I have to do something about the "option to patch the signature hash check (fakesign bug)"?
I can't remember, but I think I patched it. I think it's a fix to restore the trucha sign bug which allowed the Freeloader to run, but unfortunately I'm not sure.

Dash Kappei said:
Do I need to run every game through Gecko to bypass updates or can I just us the usual disc channel?
Also, the SD card must be formated in FAT32, right?
I use Gecko to bypass updates (ie. for Disaster), and my SD card is formatted in FAT.

Dash Kappei said:
Nope, I tried to update the firmware BEFORE running any homebrew.
That Wii was a little virgin, just out of the box :D
That's so damn strange, I've never read anything like that.
Maybe new Wiis come with selected updates already installed? But then why the firmware is still 3.1E and how is it possibile that I was able to run the freeloader with import titles like Tatsunoko vs Capcom?
That's weird. As far as I know, older firmwares don't have a Disc Channel icon telling you the disc has an update... but you should still be prompted to update as soon as you try to start the game.

Dash Kappei said:
As for the Gecko problem, well I thought it was "up to date" since it's the last release, I'll converti it then.
If it's in .elf format you must convert it. You should be able to find .dol format releases on wiibrew.org, though.

Dash Kappei

Jocchan said:
I can't remember, but I think I patched it. I think it's a fix to restore the trucha sign bug which allowed the Freeloader to run, but unfortunately I'm not sure.

K, I'll do the same.

That's weird. As far as I know, older firmwares don't have a Disc Channel icon telling you the disc has an update... but you should still be prompted to update as soon as you try to start the game.

Yep, I remember when I had the other Wii I was prompted to install an update the first time I ran Galaxy. Point is, with this new Wii, without any HB installed I was (and still am) able to run those games and yet, besides the fact that I wasn't asked to install anything, going by the Wii system update it still says 3.1E (Menu/Wii Setting/).. W-E-I-R-D!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TunaLover said:
NES, SNES, Genesis, SMS, GBA, NeoGEO pocket emulators are excellent IMO, you could some problems with sound hicups veeeery far in between, you can on/off filters, they have nice features like load roms from USB storage divices, SDHC support, even Super Scope and Zapper support -I still get problems with Super Scope-. SEGA's Phaser works like a dream except for Safari Hunter which has a little calibration problem.

Don't even try the N64 one, that sucks.

BTW, someone knows how get Super Scope working correctly?
To be more specific, Super Scope was compatible with Lethal Enforcers? or you need the Konami special gun?

Wait, Super Scope emulation on the Wii.. are you serious? :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
EvilMario said:
Wait, Super Scope emulation on the Wii.. are you serious? :D

I've finally been able to finish Yoshi's Safari. I've had the cart and super scope sitting in my closet for years, too... along with a third party SNES light gun.

Dash Kappei

I hear you guys always saying 3.2 is the "best" for homebrew, why is that? I mean, I know about 3.4's "ninja updates" agreement, but what about 3.3? Isn't that one the same as 3.2?

jepjepjep

Is my Wii toast?

I installed the Homebrew channel on my 3.4u wii, then downgraded to 3.2u with Waninkoko's downgrader so that I could play injected VC games (before moral GAF attacks me, I made my own wads of the english fan-translated Bare Knuckle III and Monster World IV). Well I threw in Mario Galaxy last night and it prompted me to update my system in order to play. After I clicked update the screen went dark. Now it stays black when I turn on the console.

TunaLover

Dash Kappei said:
I hear you guys always saying 3.2 is the "best" for homebrew, why is that? I mean, I know about 3.4's "ninja updates" agreement, but what about 3.3? Isn't that one the same as 3.2?

3.3 is alright, it's just some ''obscure'' apps don't run with 3.3. But at this time 3.3 is as homebrew friendly as 3.2. 3.4 not yet.

TunaLover

jepjepjep said:
Is my Wii toast?

I installed the Homebrew channel on my 3.4u wii, then downgraded to 3.2u with Waninkoko's downgrader so that I could play injected VC games (before moral GAF attacks me, I made my own wads of the english fan-translated Bare Knuckle III and Monster World IV). Well I threw in Mario Galaxy last night and it prompted me to update my system in order to play. After I clicked update the screen went dark. Now it stays black when I turn on the console.

That's strange, you should able to make a Mario Galaxy US -always US game- update with no problems. It could be a banner brick -?- you create a banner for your injected games?
Maybe a bad injection...

markatisu

Just a note, 3.5 is coming and it apparently stops people from adding Homebrew (but for those of us already modded we are fine)

Nintendo has served the next volley in the ongoing fight to stop piracy dead in its tracks. Reports are coming in from Korea, where it seems that Wii System Update 3.5 has been launched. This new update manages to kill the Twilight Hack once again, but if you already have the Homebrew Channel running on your Wii, it continues to function normally. I guess we can expect this update to hit around the world soon…so be prepared!

Wii System Menu 3.5 has continued recent efforts from Nintendo by blocking software from being run, including the Twilight Hack.

According to QJ, the system update has, at time of writing, only arrived in Korea, bringing with it continued protection to prevent certain software from running.

The Twilight Hack, PatchMii and DVDx are said to be affected, but those who already have the Homebrew channel installed can still run their applications. As with previous updates, the channel can't be installed without the Twilight Hack, so those wanting to delve into the world of homemade brew will need to hold out for a fix.

http://wii.qj.net/Korea-gets-Wii-System-Menu-3-5-blocks-PatchMii-and-Twilight-Hack/pg/49/aid/129291

jepjepjep

TunaLover said:
That's strange, you should able to make a Mario Galaxy US -always US game- update with no problems. It could be a banner brick -?- you create a banner for your injected games?
Maybe a bad injection...

I don't think it's a banner brick. I created custom banners but they both loaded correctly. Both games were working fine until I ran the SMG update. After that, totally dark screen. Nothing at all.

Top Bottom