• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

jepjepjep

jepjepjep said:
Is my Wii toast?

I installed the Homebrew channel on my 3.4u wii, then downgraded to 3.2u with Waninkoko's downgrader so that I could play injected VC games (before moral GAF attacks me, I made my own wads of the english fan-translated Bare Knuckle III and Monster World IV). Well I threw in Mario Galaxy last night and it prompted me to update my system in order to play. After I clicked update the screen went dark. Now it stays black when I turn on the console.

bump for a new page

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Speaking of being able to keep the HBC with updates if you've already installed it, what about 3.3 to 3.4?

If I have the HBC with the 3.3 firmware and update the firmware to 3.4, will it still work, or do I have to install the 3.4-compatible version of the HBC?

Xavien said:
I don't care, I downgraded to 3.2 and I'm not upgrading for anything... Except if something really nice comes along.

And even if something does, the way Nintendo has programmed the Wii (ie stupidly, the stacks resemble a hydra), someone will code a separate updated (like the Store and Mii channel updates).

TunaLover

Dragona Akehi said:
And even if something does, the way Nintendo has programmed the Wii (ie stupidly, the stacks resemble a hydra), someone will code a separate updated (like the Store and Mii channel updates).

I don´t know I really like the overcomplicated Starlet, it´s rock solid and fit perfect to the Nintendos closed system policy :D To be fair hackers are having hard time with 3.4 and a possible Custom menu system to overide Nintendo instructions. And by possible I mean brick proof.

Clipper

Kilrogg said:
Speaking of being able to keep the HBC with updates if you've already installed it, what about 3.3 to 3.4?

If I have the HBC with the 3.3 firmware and update the firmware to 3.4, will it still work, or do I have to install the 3.4-compatible version of the HBC?

It will still work. However, by upgrading to 3.4 you have technically agreed to that clause that states they could update your Wii at any time without your permission. If they figure out a way to stop the HBC from working while installed (which none of the updates have done so far) and they stealthily apply the update to your Wii, then you would be in trouble.

There's no need to be at 3.4 anyway. Use Menu Loader to block the updates of future games (I just recently did that with Pikmin) and upgrade the shop via the Wii Shop Updater app. 3.4 provides nothing else of value, so you're good to go.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
markatisu said:
I have yet to meet or speak to someone who has bricked their Wii

So I'm good to go? One last q, do I need to back up all my saves first, or will they remain intact?

markatisu

Ermac said:
So I'm good to go? One last q, do I need to back up all my saves first, or will they remain intact?

You should be fine as it does not do anything to the system that would mess up your saves, but as a precaution you should always have your most important saves/files backed up (which can be on the same card you are using for Homebrew)

Linkhero1

Dragona Akehi said:
Pretty much. They'll always release a separate update to allow you to have access to all games on the Wii. I still can't play Animal Crossing normally through the disc channel though. I have to use GeckoOS but it's no big deal.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Clipper said:
It will still work. However, by upgrading to 3.4 you have technically agreed to that clause that states they could update your Wii at any time without your permission. If they figure out a way to stop the HBC from working while installed (which none of the updates have done so far) and they stealthily apply the update to your Wii, then you would be in trouble.

There's no need to be at 3.4 anyway. Use Menu Loader to block the updates of future games (I just recently did that with Pikmin) and upgrade the shop via the Wii Shop Updater app. 3.4 provides nothing else of value, so you're good to go.

Thanks. I didn't know there was a way to update the Wii Shop without updating the firmware, good to know.

Akim

Banned
I wanna install homebrew via twilight princess so I can play TvC. I'm going to be using 3.3u, will I still be able to stay connected to the internet as long as I don't update firmware?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Are we gonna be screwed if a game in the future (let's say Sin and Punishment 2) has a firmware update that forces you to install to play the game? Or can we just use a home brew app to bypass those firmware updates?

And is there a way to block firmware updates? I'd be pissed if a friend decides to play my Wii and accidentally installs a firmware update just cause he wanted to play Punch Out or whatever.

Edit: Hmm, I guess there are apps to block it, I need to read some more

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What is the Wii Brew SD Installer?

Wario, if a game as an on-disc update that's required before the game will even run, then simply use the game launcher built into GeckoOS. That'll run the game while circumventing the update. It's how I get Animal Crossing (which comes with 3.4, IIRC) to run on my 3.3U machine.

Akim

Banned
Mejilan said:
What is the Wii Brew SD Installer?

Wario, if a game as an on-disc update that's required before the game will even run, then simply use the game launcher built into GeckoOS. That'll run the game while circumventing the update. It's how I get Animal Crossing (which comes with 3.4, IIRC) to run on my 3.3U machine.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Brew_SD_Installer

I guess I can just do it the normal way anyways.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It only specifically mentions that 3.4 (and beyond) are incompatible.
I don't really feel like testing it, though. Sorry. Not to mention that I don't need any of that, at this point, so I wouldn't even take the chance and attempt to execute any of it.

markatisu

Mejilan said:
Is it out everywhere, yet? Last I heard 3.5 was only in Korea.

I don't think 3.5 has hit the US or EU yet, possibly it could be on MadWorld this week or come with Pikmin and Mario Tennis tomorrow

Akim

Banned
Ok, last post in this thread for a bit. OP seems out of date. Anyone have a link for a definitive guide for twilight hacking on firmware 3.3u?

Linkhero1

markatisu said:
I don't think 3.5 has hit the US or EU yet, possibly it could be on MadWorld this week or come with Pikmin and Mario Tennis tomorrow
Sorry for my ignorance, but what third party titles had updates on them? I only know a few Nintendo titles that have firmware on the disc but I've never heard of third party titles with updates.

TunaLover

Linkhero1 said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what third party titles had updates on them? I only know a few Nintendo titles that have firmware on the disc but I've never heard of third party titles with updates.

Okami had an update, I don't remember if it was a new whole firmware, or just an update of the older.

markatisu

Linkhero1 said:

Some of them do, Call of Duty World at War had the 3.4 update included with it, Karaoke Revolution American Idol came with 3.1, Pangya Golf With Style in the UK came with 2.2

Not sure why it is on some and not others, maybe it has something to do with what the game uses (CoD WaW had online, Karaoke Revolution used the USB ports) and so the companies want to make sure that the Wii has the proper updates

Linkhero1

TunaLover said:
Okami had an update, I don't remember if it was a new whole firmware, or just an update of the older.

markatisu said:
Some of them do, Call of Duty World at War had the 3.4 update included with it, Karaoke Revolution American Idol came with 3.1, Pangya Golf With Style in the UK came with 2.2

Not sure why it is on some and not others, maybe it has something to do with what the game uses (CoD WaW had online, Karaoke Revolution used the USB ports) and so the companies want to make sure that the Wii has the proper updates

Thanks. I don't own any of those besides Okami and I think my system had that update before playing it, so it lead me to believe there was no update with third party games. You learn something new every day :p

markatisu

bearcatjosh said:
Cool, but it at least removes the logs/etc from the homebrew channel?

Not sure, I thought I read on WiiBrew that you had to run some kind of utility to erase those logs

Has anyone here done that? I sent my Homebrew Wii into Nintendo to fix and they did not care so I guess I figured why bother hiding it :lol

markatisu said:
Not sure, I thought I read on WiiBrew that you had to run some kind of utility to erase those logs

Has anyone here done that? I sent my Homebrew Wii into Nintendo to fix and they did not care so I guess I figured why bother hiding it :lol

:lol

aeolist

Banned
Set this up last week to stream my video files to my TV. MplayerCE looked like the best video player and worked pretty well, though it did lock up occasionally.

Does anybody know of a good audio player that works with SMB shares? I wasn't able to find one.

Linkhero1

markatisu said:

I believe tickets that are installed with the homebrew channel or any other non-official channel are still on your Wii even after formatting it, but I doubt that matters.

TunaLover

aeolist said:
Set this up last week to stream my video files to my TV. MplayerCE looked like the best video player and worked pretty well, though it did lock up occasionally.

Does anybody know of a good audio player that works with SMB shares? I wasn't able to find one.

The latest MplayerCE play audio files through SMB doesn´t it?, make sure the config the SMB file inside the MplayerCE folder. If you has problems post here :)

The Hermit

Eh, I gave up trying to downgrade my semi-bricked Wii... hoppefully the 3.5 update should fix that...

I mean, is there a problem if I update my Wii ?( nstc, but my dumb brother updated the Disaster Pal update...)

Top Bottom