• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

That's it! I just destroyed a controller playing some random level 16 Ragna (I was 23) and he completely owned me despite me thinking I fucking KNOW that character by now, having played him and against high level Ragnas a while now. He did combos I've never seen before and.. well fuck, I hate this game now.

/rant. Pay no attention to me.

Speevy

Banned
Mr. Melender said:
That's it! I just destroyed a controller playing some random level 16 Ragna (I was 23) and he completely owned me despite me thinking I fucking KNOW that character by now, having played him and against high level Ragnas a while now. He did combos I've never seen before and.. well fuck, I hate this game now.

/rant. Pay no attention to me.

Homebrew?

Darvan

Is there some sort of compatible USB hard listing cause when I use the USB loader it always says it can't find my drive.

Clipper

Killadji said:
Hi everyone !
It looks like I have some problems with my USB Loader :
I have an Iomega prestige, the 500GB one. And it doesn't load very good, sometimes, there's no more music in my games and they freeze, also, I have to switch it on every time before I want to launch the USB Loader.
Do I need to change my HDD ? Or will an update fix my problem ?
What version of IOS are you using, and which USB Loader?

kamorra said:
Is it also possible to start dols from the HDD? Or does it only work for the rom folders? Is there a list of apps that support the HDD? Would be great to put SCUMM games on the HDD.
If you don't have an apps folder on your SD card (or just remove the card), then the HBC will automatically search the FAT partition for homebrew instead. Most homebrew works there (a notable exception is the Homebrew Browser), so yes, you can probably run SCUMM off there.

Darvan said:
Is there some sort of compatible USB hard listing cause when I use the USB loader it always says it can't find my drive.
Most drives work now. Did you plug your drive into the correct USB port? Did you try IOS 222/223?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
kamorra said:
Is it also possible to start dols from the HDD? Or does it only work for the rom folders? Is there a list of apps that support the HDD? Would be great to put SCUMM games on the HDD.

Unfortunately, if the HBC finds apps on the SD card, it won't even bother to look in a Fat32 partition of your HDD. You'd probably have to wipe the apps from your SD card, or remove the SD card when the HBC loads. It's an annoying hassle that largely kills the functionality, IMHO, especially since not ALL apps will properly run from the HDD.

But you CAN put compatible apps on the HDD and then use a specially configured forwarder channel (installed to your SysMenu via WAD Manager or something similar) that points to it. In such a fashion, I have all of my USB Loader files (executable, cheats, covers, music, etc.) running from the HDD instead of the SD.

Chris R

Going to try to get the USB loader working on my Wii over the weekend. I had HBC at some point, but then removed it as I wasn't really using it. I just wanna be able to rip all of my Wii games and keep them on a USB drive so I don't have to keep swapping discs all the time. I know my library is small compared to some of you, but still having all 20ish of my games on a single drive is going to be sweet.

gimz

i spent whole day trying to get the USB loader to work, done everything, plug in my HDD to the Wii, and load the USB loader, and it says Mounting soemthing, and tell me to wait
but it keeps giving me error -1 or something

anyone know what did i do wrong?

Clipper

gimz said:
i spent whole day trying to get the USB loader to work, done everything, plug in my HDD to the Wii, and load the USB loader, and it says Mounting soemthing, and tell me to wait
but it keeps giving me error -1 or something

anyone know what did i do wrong?
Did you follow the tutorial linked near the top of the page? Did you use the correct USB port? Did you try using the Hermes' IOSes instead of IOS249? Have you tried formatting the drive?

gimz

Clipper said:
Did you follow the tutorial linked near the top of the page? Did you use the correct USB port? Did you try using the Hermes' IOSes instead of IOS249? Have you tried formatting the drive?
i did everything the link says, i partitioned my HDD (so i wont lose my files right?) i did everything except for trying hermes IOSes, i will try it now to see if it work

Mejilan

IIRC, the old USB Loaders used to give -1 errors when it could not find an HDD.
In the early days, it was a good sign of an incompatible HDD.

gimz

Mejilan said:
IIRC, the old USB Loaders used to give -1 errors when it could not find an HDD.
In the early days, it was a good sign of an incompatible HDD.
does it actually work with USB flash drive? or it has to be HDD? i might just get a 16G or 32G USB drive if it works with the loader, which make things easier too

Dante23

Killadji said:
I currently use IOS249, can the 222/223 change anything ?
And it does the same problem with every single USB Loader.

Yes, it can change a lot, I have the 222 and also an Iomega Prestige, I only have problems when it comes to the configurable USB loader to recognize my HDD, but the rest it's fine, no more freeze problems. The problem with these drives it's the quick spin-down.

Veal

I finally got validated, so I gotta give big ups to Clipper, mejilan and the other homebrew guys. The sheer convenience of having all of my games easily accessible was enough to justify doing this, but to find so many awesome homebrew apps was icing on the cake!

web01

Having trouble with TBR
Anyone know how to solve this issue:

Installing...
ES_AddTitleStart returned: -1035
Has your installed IOS36 have a higher revision than 30947
IOS36 Installation Failed
Press any button to exit

This is during stage 7 of the guide:
7.Use Trucha Bug Restorer with IOS15 to install a patched IOS36 as IOS 249:

Clipper

To those with hard drive troubles, there is a new version of IOS222/223 that increases drive compatibility, but uLoader is the only one that currently supports it. The programmer of Configurable is working at getting that new version working and the patch should be out soon. Try using uLoader (the link to the latest versions is on the Hermes' IOS222/223 page) and see if your drive works with that. Also try another drive (like a small flash drive) if you have one spare just to ensure if it is your drive that's causing the problem and not your installation.

web01 said:
Having trouble with TBR
Anyone know how to solve this issue:

Installing...
ES_AddTitleStart returned: -1035
Has your installed IOS36 have a higher revision than 30947
IOS36 Installation Failed
Press any button to exit

This is during stage 7 of the guide:
7.Use Trucha Bug Restorer with IOS15 to install a patched IOS36 as IOS 249:

It sounds like you didn't choose IOS15 on the first screen as the sub-steps of stage 7 tell you. If you are sure you are choosing it correctly, then try downgrading IOS15 again and then try step 7 once more.

web01

Clipper said:
It sounds like you didn't choose IOS15 on the first screen as the sub-steps of stage 7 tell you. If you are sure you are choosing it correctly, then try downgrading IOS15 again and then try step 7 once more.

Yeah im selecting IOS15 during the first part of stage 7 as soon as TBR launches and I tried going through all the steps again including downgrading IOS15 and im still having the same problems.

Clipper

web01 said:
Yeah im selecting IOS15 during the first part of stage 7 as soon as TBR launches and I tried going through all the steps again including downgrading IOS15 and im still having the same problems.
Hmm, very strange. When did you buy your Wii? If it's over a year old, then try out the old installation method.

Hmm, just had another thought... Which installation method are you using, network or SD? Try the other if you can.

fernoca

I don't get it..
The Wii recognizes the HDD, yet it doesn't let me backup games (from the HDD to the computer)

WBFS Manager doesn't recognize anything (not even gives me the option to format through them), even though the computer recognizes I have something connected.. (in 'J:' in this case)

Is there some kind of FTP solution that recognizes the Wii's HDD, aside the SD? That way I can transfer back and forth, since the HDD I'm currently using is of 75GB..

Clipper

web01, I just tried the IOS15 downgrade procedure myself for the first time. My step-by-step procedure for it wasn't 100% correct. Ensure when you are choosing IOS36 menu that it says IOS15 (Rev 257) at the top right. If not, take another look at the site. I should have it updated in about 10 minutes.

fernoca said:
I don't get it..
The Wii recognizes the HDD, yet it doesn't let me backup games (from the HDD to the computer)

WBFS Manager doesn't recognize anything (not even gives me the option to format through them), even though the computer recognizes I have something connected.. (in 'J:' in this case)

Is there some kind of FTP solution that recognizes the Wii's HDD, aside the SD? That way I can transfer back and forth, since the HDD I'm currently using is of 75GB..

Take a look at this page for a different WBFS manager that may be able to recognise your drive. A key thing is to make sure you run it as an administrator.

deleted

First of all: Thanks for the guide, still had a few problems, because of a nice exceptional error when installing bootmii, but its working nevertheless.

The online dl option for the wads just did´t work properly for me. The Wii only downloaded a piece of the wad, stopped and tried to install - error. Until I realized that it didn´t dl the whole file I must have tried it for almost half an hour and searched for a solution. But the SD version worked like a charm!

The USBLoader greatly improved the loading times for Smash Bros. Thats just perfekt!

Clipper said:
Ok, here's a look at the Coverflow mode in the new version of Configurable:
screenshot14.png

You can also see the backs:
screenshot15.png

I'll probably update the GAF bg_gui image soon to make it fit better with these (I plan to eventually use a crop of isoGAF).

That is sexy!

Clipper

xyla said:
First of all: Thanks for the guide, still had a few problems, because of a nice exceptional error when installing bootmii, but its working nevertheless.

The online dl option for the wads just did´t work properly for me. The Wii only downloaded a piece of the wad, stopped and tried to install - error. Until I realized that it didn´t dl the whole file I must have tried it for almost half an hour and searched for a solution. But the SD version worked like a charm!

The USBLoader greatly improved the loading times for Smash Bros. Thats just perfekt!
Thanks for that info. I've added a statement to the "something went wrong" section of the page to direct people to try non-network installs if they are getting errors via the network.

fernoca

Clipper said:
Take a look at this page for a different WBFS manager that may be able to recognise your drive. A key thing is to make sure you run it as an administrator.
:O!!
Holy ****! I'll have so much sex with you right now ..if you were gay! It worked!

By the way, I used your 'dummies' guide and everything was a brisk, (everything about IOS and stuff.. is just moon language to me, yet it worked fine)..my only problem was what I posted before (the Wii recognizing the HDD, but not the WBFS) and you also had the response! Keep the great work pal.

Killadji

Dante23 said:
Yes, it can change a lot, I have the 222 and also an Iomega Prestige, I only have problems when it comes to the configurable USB loader to recognize my HDD, but the rest it's fine, no more freeze problems. The problem with these drives it's the quick spin-down.
So I'll have to switch it on everytime I want to change the game ?

Whenever I use Gecko OS to play my import games like Tatsunoko and Castle Shikigami my screens turns red. It only happens when I use my RGB cable, my composite doesn't do it. Any solution to this problem? I remember the same thing happening when I was messing about with a USB loader awhile back, I was using an RGB at the time...

For reference PAL Wii with SD Television, but I get the same problem on a Panasonic HD as well...

Clipper

Killadji said:
So I'll have to switch it on everytime I want to change the game ?
No. You can add "ios=222-mload" to your config.txt and everything will use IOS222 by default.

Send in the Clowns said:
Whenever I use Gecko OS to play my import games like Tatsunoko and Castle Shikigami my screens turns red. It only happens when I use my RGB cable, my composite doesn't do it. Any solution to this problem? I remember the same thing happening when I was messing about with a USB loader awhile back, I was using an RGB at the time...

For reference PAL Wii with SD Television, but I get the same problem on a Panasonic HD as well...
By RGB, you mean RGB SCART (the crazy huge 21-pin thing), right? Does your TV accept 480p? If so, set the Wii to that and I think it might fix the problem. I think it uses S-Video to achieve the interlaced graphics modes on RGB cables, and the NTSC signal doesn't work in that manner.

You could try the other force video options too, one of them just might work.

Oh, and I might try skipping doing this for the next page, but for now:

Killadji

Clipper said:
No. You can add "ios=222-mload" to your config.txt and everything will use IOS222 by default.

By RGB, you mean RGB SCART (the crazy huge 21-pin thing), right? Does your TV accept 480p? If so, set the Wii to that and I think it might fix the problem. I think it uses S-Video to achieve the interlaced graphics modes on RGB cables, and the NTSC signal doesn't work in that manner.

You could try the other force video options too, one of them just might work.

Oh, and I might try skipping doing this for the next page, but for now:
I was talking about my hard disk. But thanks !

kIdMuScLe

i'm having trouble installnig the bannerbomb+homebrew on my Wii. My wii is version 3.3u. is my wii one of the few unlucky ones that can't be hacked or is there some other that i could possibly use? (note: i already did it on my friend's wii so is not like i don't know what im doing.)

Mejilan

Seagate FreeAgent Go.
I have the 500GB model, but that's probably total overkill.
Most people are fine with the 250GB or 320GB models.

They power via USB (just 1 cable, not two), so power on/off with the Wii (if you have standby disabled on your Wii). They've got topnotch compatibility, and are one of the few portable drives that come with software to disable spin-down. Probably not the best $/GB value, but it is one of the Wii's top HDDs.

The silver-colored model even matches the Wii's white rather nicely.

Nabs

the new cUSB is so damn good. i kept from updating since it was working fine, but the latest version is definitely worth it.
gimz said:
mine does, does it make any difference?

i think you'll have to switch it on and off with the wii. i don't know, my hd (wd passport) is usb powered, so it goes on and off with the wii.

there shouldn't be an issue in between games. i think that was a problem with rev 13b

I'm using Cfg USB Loader and coverart has not been downloading recently.

It will work on one theme of the dozen or so that comes with the loader, but not the rest. It will either say "Invalid PNG image" or "404 Error".

Clipper

kIdMuScLe said:
i'm having trouble installnig the bannerbomb+homebrew on my Wii. My wii is version 3.3u. is my wii one of the few unlucky ones that can't be hacked or is there some other that i could possibly use? (note: i already did it on my friend's wii so is not like i don't know what im doing.)

There should be no such thing as an unmoddable Wii at the current time, especially one that is still on 3.3. Try a different SD card, or reformat the one you are using and copy everything back on there. Also, try the other versions of bannerbomb than the default (they are available on the BannerBomb page, which the GWHT links you to).

If that doesn't work, try using the Twilight Hack to run the BootMii installer instead (you will need Twilight Princess).

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm using Cfg USB Loader and coverart has not been downloading recently.

It will work on one theme of the dozen or so that comes with the loader, but not the rest. It will either say "Invalid PNG image" or "404 Error".

Do you happen to be using the GAF theme from my tutorial? If so, go get the new version. Cover sites have been changing frequently and some of the old versions of the config file point to old directories on sites that no longer exist.

v37 of Cfg has the best site list as default now, so just remove all cover_url options from your config.txt if you are managing it on your own.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Send in the Clowns said:
:

That is a known problem, without going into color code technicalities you can fix that using a component cable (not the composite one you got with the console, mind you... that one would fix the "red" problem -if your tv can handle NTSC signals- but it'll give you awful IQ).

Clipper said:
By RGB, you mean RGB SCART (the crazy huge 21-pin thing), right? Does your TV accept 480p? If so, set the Wii to that and I think it might fix the problem.

SCART cables can't output a progressive signal.
He's out of luck unless there's a PAL fix in Gecko or something like that or his tv as the mentioned component YUV/YCbCr (or better yet YPbPr for 480p) inputs.
If his tv misses the component inputs he can resort to buying the NTSC-only S-Video cable that'll work ONLY when outputting NTSC (JPN/US) games... better than the dreaded composite signal by a mile, but not quite near the RGB quality he's used to nor the component I suggest.
He'll have to go with eBay though, I don't think you can buy the S-Video cable in PAL land due to the fact that is useless with the PAL Wii.

Thanks, though I'm shit out of luck apparently. Neither of the two TV's I personally own have component inputs so no 480p. I bought the RGB to get the best possible quality with what I had. All the more reason to rebuy Tatsunoko when it gets released over here. Shikigami is just horrendous with composite however...

sorry if this is covered someplace, but after you do the bootmii backup, can you delete the files off of your memory card (i copied them to pc, just wondering if I need to keep them on the sdhc card as well)?

Mejilan

It's just one (512 MB) file, and you don't need to keep it on the SD card if you've backed it up elsewhere.

Clipper

sableholic said:
sorry if this is covered someplace, but after you do the bootmii backup, can you delete the files off of your memory card (i copied them to pc, just wondering if I need to keep them on the sdhc card as well)?
Make sure you back up the sd:/bootmii directory as well. If you lose those files, you may not be able to do the restore. They only need to stay on the SD card if you want BootMii to start up each time.

fernoca

Noob questions, so..sorry.. :p..
1. Is it safe to delete the Trucha, CIOS, etc..apps..from the Homebrew channel after doing everything?

2. Is there a dummies-guide out there (like the one posted in every page), but for installing games/apps/etc ..channels on the Wii?

Clipper

fernoca said:
Noob questions, so..sorry.. :p..
1. Is it safe to delete the Trucha, CIOS, etc..apps..from the Homebrew channel after doing everything?

2. Is there a dummies-guide out there (like the one posted in every page), but for installing games/apps/etc ..channels on the Wii?
1. Yes

2. My dummies guide is: Don't do it.

Every channel you install presents a real risk of bricking. I have seen many posts on forums of people in woe because they made a small mistake while installing some useless channel and bricked their Wiis.

They are also a pain to update. Just use the HBC and if you absolutely must, a forwarder for USB Loader. It's not like HBC takes long to boot (especially if you set BootMii to autoboot).

Clipper said:
2. My dummies guide is: Don't do it.

Every channel you install presents a real risk of bricking. I have seen many posts on forums of people in woe because they made a small mistake while installing some useless channel and bricked their Wiis.

They are also a pain to update. Just use the HBC and if you absolutely must, a forwarder for USB Loader. It's not like HBC takes long to boot (especially if you set BootMii to autoboot).
Indeed channels made for homebrew apps do carry a significant risk of banner bricking due to their experimental nature. It is a case of be best prepared for the risks (bootmii or preloader basically).

However, those shortcut channels for games on a USB hard drive are somewhat safer due to using the banners which show up when you play the game from the disc channel. Tools like Loadstructor make it child's play to create them (the best feature being it can extract the necessary files on the fly off a WBFS hard drive...handy for someone like me whose computer only has USB1.1 inputs).

I know a lot of people here don't like them since it takes up 5-10 blocks a game (and some time to create/instal which can be a real bother) and slot on the menu (they can be run off the SD card channel perfectly fine but still slots) but it does have one advantage over just using the homebrew channel. Playing games through them brings up the proper stats on the message board. No more 2 hour sessions with the homebrew channel and/or USB forwarder channel. Of course, going to the homebrew channel straight from bootmiii or setting the Wii to diagnostic mode (hold + and - on the remote) won't produce any message board stats at all if you prefer.

Personally, I find the message board stats to be very important as I like doing contributing to the Nintendo channel hive mind and seeing how much I personally spend playing certain games using the homebrew app Playstats.

But ultimately it is best for the end user to decide what to do but please, be prepared for it all going wrong.

My little bit of question time (and it is an odd one). With firmware 4.0 I used the preloader hacks for region free channels and region free channels on SD card (for use with a US copy of World of Goo I bought back in the days you could jump Wii Shop). However, the latter hack installs fine but doesn't actually work. I was wondering if anyone knew if it had changed at all for Firmware 4.1. It isn't a big deal since the region channels on Wii Menu works allowing me to play it still.

Clipper

Starwolf_UK said:
My little bit of question time (and it is an odd one). With firmware 4.0 I used the preloader hacks for region free channels and region free channels on SD card (for use with a US copy of World of Goo I bought back in the days you could jump Wii Shop). However, the latter hack installs fine but doesn't actually work. I was wondering if anyone knew if it had changed at all for Firmware 4.1. It isn't a big deal since the region channels on Wii Menu works allowing me to play it still.
Mejilan posted about it earlier. You need new codes for 4.1. They've already been put out (check the last few pages of the thread).

Top Bottom