• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Juice

Picked up Wii Sports Resort and quickly discovered I have a long day ahead to get it to run off USB Loader (from disc or USB).

FW: 3.4U
SD/USB Loader 1.5_cfg

Wish I had a guide to tell me the exact order in which I needed to do everything to keep it working

Juice

In the process of trying to ensure my IOS249 is the right version. I'm at this point in the instructions in the guide:

Installation procedure
1. Remove all GameCube memory cards and controllers.
◦ This step is very important. Do not ignore it .
2. If your Wii is not connected to the Internet, copy all the .wad files to sd:/
3. Unzip the TBR zip file and copy the TBR directory and its contents to sd:/apps.
◦ You should now have an sd:/apps/TBR/boot.dol file among others.
4. Run Trucha Bug Restorer from the Homebrew Channel.
5. Use Trucha Bug Restorer with default IOS to downgrade IOS15:
1. Push A to allow it to reload the default IOS.
2. Read the message, then push 1 or Start when prompted to continue.
3. Choose "Downgrade IOS15".
4. If you are connected to the Internet, choose "Download IOS from NUS". If not, choose "Load IOS from sd card" and push A to continue.
5. Make the same choice you made in the previous step for the second IOS version needed.
6. When prompted, push A to start step 1.
7. When prompted again, push A to start step 2.
8. Press any button to exit when prompted.
6. Run Trucha Bug Restorer from the Homebrew Channel again.
7. Use Trucha Bug Restorer with IOS15 to install a patched IOS36 as IOS 249:
1. Choose IOS15 for IOS to reload.
2. Wait for the message to push 1 or Start to appear and do so.
3. Ensure the IOS at the top of the screen now states "IOS15 (Rev 257)"
4. Choose "IOS36 menu".
5. Change "Install IOS to slot" to be 249.
6. Leave the yes/no options at their default values (i.e., yes-yes-no)
7. Choose "Install patched IOS36".
8. If you are connected to the Internet, choose "Download IOS from NUS". If not, choose "Load IOS from sd card" and push A to continue.
9. When prompted, push A to start installation.
10. Press any button to exit when prompted.
8. Run Trucha Bug Restorer from the Homebrew Channel again.
9. Use Trucha Bug Restorer with IOS249 to restore IOS15:
1. Choose IOS249 for IOS to reload.
2. Wait for the message to push 1 or Start to appear and do so.
3. Choose "Restore IOS15".
4. If you are connected to the Internet, choose "Download IOS from NUS". If not, choose "Load IOS from sd card" and push A to continue.
5. When prompted, push A to start installation.
6. Press any button to exit when prompted.
10. Now follow the remaining steps below.

And then I experience the following error every time:

Code:
ES_AddTitleStart returned: -1035
Has your installed IOS36 a higher revision than 3094?
IOS366 installation failed

Edit: I seem to be having the same problem this guy did, but I'm too gun shy to do this without more clear instructions. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168157&pid=2125168&st=0&#entry2125168

Edit 2: Apparently I didn't need it, Wii Sports Resort worked without any other fiddling after upgrading USB Loader and the firmware.

Clipper

velvet_nitemare said:
How does the system update in WSR affect the homebrew channel? Safe to update?
http://gwht.wikidot.com/upgrade

Juice said:
In the process of trying to ensure my IOS249 is the right version. I'm at this point in the instructions in the guide:

And then I experience the following error every time:

Code:
ES_AddTitleStart returned: -1035
Has your installed IOS36 a higher revision than 3094?
IOS366 installation failed
You are the second person with this problem. I'd like it if you could provide some more info, if possible. Were you doing the network or the SD installation method? What firmware version are you on?

Incidentally, you didn't need to go through all that if you already had any revision of IOS249 already installed.

Edit 2: Apparently I didn't need it, Wii Sports Resort worked without any other fiddling after upgrading USB Loader and the firmware.
Yeah. Wii Sports Resort needs you to play the original disc once, either normally or via Gecko OS, watching until at least the end of the MotionPlus video, then it will work fine in USB Loader from then on.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware

I've added a draft tutorial for setting up FTPii as your Wii's FTP server, and two alternate programs as your computer's FTP client. I'd appreciate it if someone WITHOUT FTPii set up could run through it and test the tutorial.

I'll happily edit in and necessary corrections/clarifications.

I've tried to make the page consistent with the rest of Clipper's awesome contributions. Please be gentle. It's my first time contributing to resource.

Clipper

Mejilan said:
I've added a draft tutorial for setting up FTPii as your Wii's FTP server, and two alternate programs as your computer's FTP client. I'd appreciate it if someone WITHOUT FTPii set up could run through it and test the tutorial.

I'll happily edit in and necessary corrections/clarifications.

I've tried to make the page consistent with the rest of Clipper's awesome contributions. Please be gentle. It's my first time contributing to resource.

I saw your work before you posted this, and it looks pretty good. Here's the link to the page for those that want to test it out.

It looks good, Mejilan. The only suggestions, design-wise I can make at the moment are:
  • Instead of the "(you only need to set up one FTP client)" thing, Create another section called "FTP client installation" or something and preface it with text to say "Any client will do, here's a description of two of them." or something.
  • Link to Homebrew Browser when you mention it.
  • Add a separate section for the usage of Ftpii apart from the install/set up. At the moment, the whole process seems rather complicated. That way, it makes it clear how easy it is to use once it's ready.
  • Add a section to the starting out page.

Nabs

Clipper said:
Yeah. Wii Sports Resort needs you to play the original disc once, either normally or via Gecko OS, watching until at least the end of the MotionPlus video, then it will work fine in USB Loader from then on.

can't you use the alt.dol method in cUSB as well?

fernoca

Well, everything was working fine with Resort..till recently, every time I try to play the game..normally (i.e. selecting the game and pressing A), it crashes the Wii.

For some reason, when I seleect the game, then Options and there (without changing anything) press A..the game starts..but recently, it's been like..sometimes it loads, sometimes it crashes.

Clipper

IOS249 (aka cIOS38) rev 14 is out. It works perfectly with Configurable too. No more reset bug either, so it is now the definitively best IOS revision to use.

Nabs said:
can't you use the alt.dol method in cUSB as well?
Yes you can, but this is easier. Plus it means I don't help the pirates out there :p.

fernoca said:
Well, everything was working fine with Resort..till recently, every time I try to play the game..normally (i.e. selecting the game and pressing A), it crashes the Wii.

For some reason, when I seleect the game, then Options and there (without changing anything) press A..the game starts..but recently, it's been like..sometimes it loads, sometimes it crashes.
Are you by any chance on firmware 4.0? If so, upgrade your Wii. That would be the bug that 4.1 fixes.

The bug seems to be that if you play any games of the SD menu, it deletes or obscures the info that says you watched the WMP video.

If that's not the problem, then try rev 14 of IOS249 I guess. Let us know if it still has problems.

Nabs

is it recommended to upgrade through nintendo? and would i have to reinstall anything?

Clipper said:
Yes you can, but this is easier. Plus it means I don't help the pirates out there :p.

yea, i actually edited out instructions

Clipper

Nabs said:
is it recommended to upgrade through nintendo? and would i have to reinstall anything?
Yeah, just upgrade via Nintendo. Some people have needed to reinstall HBC and/or IOS249 afterwards, but that's not a big issue.

fernoca

Clipper said:
Are you by any chance on firmware 4.0? If so, upgrade your Wii. That would be the bug that 4.1 fixes.

The bug seems to be that if you play any games of the SD menu, it deletes or obscures the info that says you watched the WMP video.

If that's not the problem, then try rev 14 of IOS249 I guess. Let us know if it still has problems.
Actually, I'm on 3.3U..
I've been told by a few friends to not update directly from Nintendo, because it will make some things to not work properly..or delete others..

Been using IOS249..have both Hermes and Waninoko(sp?)..will try rev14 in a few secs..

EDIT:
Updating Wii and then installing rev14. After all, it was because of your dummies guide that I managed to do mostly everything by myself, so..I'll see... :p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, I can't connect my Wii to the internet these days (damn), so I went to try and download the 3d covers for CFG (coverflow) from Wiidtb but I can't find a download button: If I try to download simply by right-clicking and "Save as" then I get the no names for the pics and it also "transforms" the images in .bmp instead of .png (also, you lose the alpha channel with .bmp, so...), what gives? Any help?
Sorry for what I imagine is an uber-newb question, and not really wiibrew related :p

Also Clip, many thanks for the GAF theme, but I'd suggest to give a resize to the GAF pointer image, it's huuuuuge and the fact that it's so low-res makes it quite ugly *IMO*, instead it could be awesome with just a little change :)

Just my two cents.

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
So, I can't connect my Wii to the internet these days (damn), so I went to try and download the 3d covers for CFG (coverflow) from Wiidtb but I can't find a download button: If I try to download simply by right-clicking and "Save as" then I get the no names for the pics and it also "transforms" the images in .bmp instead of .png (also, you lose the alpha channel with .bmp, so...), what gives? Any help?
Sorry for what I imagine is an uber-newb question, and not really wiibrew related :p
That sounds very weird. If you go to a particular game page (e.g., MK Wii PAL), the pictures that show are all .pngs, so "right-click...Save Image As" should do the trick. If something is converting the images to .bmp, it is almost certainly your Internet browser. Muntrue is probably a better site for downloading covers manually, though.

Also Clip, many thanks for the GAF theme, but I'd suggest to give a resize to the GAF pointer image, it's huuuuuge and the fact that it's so low-res makes it quite ugly *IMO*, instead it could be awesome with just a little change :)

Just my two cents.
Yeah, I have considered doing that. I'll try to change it in my next revision, whenever that is. The funny thing is, it's exactly the same logo as the one at the top of the forum, resolution and all :p. That's what a 640*480 screen res will do to you. What size should I make it? A quarter the current size (half in each dimension)?

If you want to change it yourself in the meantime, just edit sd:/usb-loader/themes/GAF/pointer.png.

Edit: Ah, what the hey. I just changed it, making the icon a quarter of it's original size. Let me know if that's too small or it needs more.

fernoca

Oh Clipper, again thanks! <3
Updated the Wii to 4.1..nothing was damaged or erased (that I know at the moment)..
Installed the rev14, just in case..and Wii Sports Resort works like a charm (again at the moment)..tried it one time, loaded...played a few secs, quit...then choose another game, played it for a few minutes and quit..then went back and choose Resort again ..and loaded, quit again..choose Resort again, just in case...and loaded again..played some more!

No need to be worried at playing Resort from the disc..for now. :p

Mejilan

Clipper said:
[*]Instead of the "(you only need to set up one FTP client)" thing, Create another section called "FTP client installation" or something and preface it with text to say "Any client will do, here's a description of two of them." or something.

If you don't like the layout, I invite you to make those changes yourself. Personally, I see no reason to split up the FTPii (server) and FTP client sections. I think I made it extremely obvious that one does not need to set up BOTH clients.

[*]Link to Homebrew Browser when you mention it.

Done.

[*]Add a separate section for the usage of Ftpii apart from the install/set up. At the moment, the whole process seems rather complicated. That way, it makes it clear how easy it is to use once it's ready.

There is no separate usage for FTPii. You download it. You launch it. That's it.
It gives you your Wii's IP address and the TCP port it's listening on. The rest is up to the FTP client you've elected to use. All interfacing is done via the client on your computer. The server just needs to be running on the Wii. I didn't see a point in creating a "usage" section dedicated to just the A and B buttons, so I included those as an aside elsewhere in the tutorial. As to FTP client usage, that will vary from client to client, and falls outside the scope of this tutorial, IMHO. If one doesn't know how to copy/paste/move/delete/edit files in their OS of choice, then one shouldn't be working with these tutorials to begin with!

[*]Add a section to the starting out page.

Done!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Clipper

kIdMuScLe said:
is bannerbomb down? i've been wanting to download the files again but i get a forbidden message when i go the site.
It appears so. It will likely be up again soon, given it's such an important stage in the installation process.

It's possible the release of rev 14 has led to a bunch of people redownloading BannerBomb or something.

There is no separate usage for FTPii. You download it. You launch it. That's it...
The only issue is that people won't necessarily realise that only the last few steps are needed the next time they run the app. Creating an account may not click as saving the settings for next time. They may even think they just need to run the app on the Wii once, then exit and not need to have it actively running to allow an FTP client to connect (e.g., they could think: "IOS249 just works without running it, so why not FTPii?").

In any case, I'll leave the decision up to you. Thanks for the good work on the page.

Mejilan

Synless said:
I'm at rev 10 and cfg loader 31c. Is there any real reason to update either of those at this point in time?

That depends entirely on how much you're content with mediocrity. :)
If nothing else, I'd update CFG USB Loader to a newer version to enjoy the newest GUI options, updated cover downloading functionality, updated cheat code downloader/manager, and the loader's own built-in network auto-update option.

Synless

Mejilan said:
That depends entirely on how much you're content with mediocrity. :)
If nothing else, I'd update CFG USB Loader to a newer version to enjoy the newest GUI options, updated cover downloading functionality, updated cheat code downloader/manager, and the loader's own built-in network auto-update option.
I'll look into that. Auto update is always nice.

Dash Kappei

Much better now Clip, I've done the resize myself as 1/4 like you've said :)

But anyway, JAW DROPPED
That's freakin' amazing :O

I wish we could have something like that with CFG Loader...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone know if the Seagate 750GB FreeAgent Desktop ext. HDD works well with USBloading? There's a pretty good deal on it but I see nothing about compatibility

Nabs

Dash Kappei said:
Much better now Clip, I've done the resize myself as 1/4 like you've said :)

But anyway, JAW DROPPED
That's freakin' amazing :O

I wish we could have something like that with CFG Loader...

cfg has coverflow now. just press down a few times in gui mode. (i use the matrix theme)

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
Ehmm, yeah.
Not quite the same thing, not by any stretch of imagination :p
No, the only difference is the crazy slight rotation on Wii cover modes and the useless flip in the single cover mode thing. The carousel option is exactly the same as Configurable's and the Coverflow mode works nearly as well (as long as you are using v37 with the new libfat).

Yes, Wiiflow's presentation is a little better, but the differences are only minor.

Anyone know if the Seagate 750GB FreeAgent Desktop ext. HDD works well with USBloading? There's a pretty good deal on it but I see nothing about compatibility
It's Seagate, so it should be fine. you might need to use Seagate's spin down app, but that's all.

Synless said:
I'm at rev 10 and cfg loader 31c. Is there any real reason to update either of those at this point in time?
Definitely update to rev 14. No more need for any 002-based options on certain games. No unfortunate bugs like 13 had. It's the perfect time to change.

And yeah, as Mejilan said, Configurable looks a hell of a lot nicer on v37 than it did back in the 31 days.

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
No, the only difference is the crazy slight rotation on Wii cover modes and the useless flip in the single cover mode thing. The carousel option is exactly the same as Configurable's and the Coverflow mode works nearly as well (as long as you are using v37 with the new libfat).

Yes, Wiiflow's presentation is a little better, but the differences are only minor.

Ok, I've got coverflow and I'm up to date with CFG.

In terms of presentation feels like night and day to me, the polish just isn't the same, everything feels like a sleek retail product instead of a "work in progress" homebrew app (not that I'm complaining!)
Good for you guys if you don't see any difference.

I haven't made the switch simply because the support for CFG is much much better and the first thing about a loader will always be about it's usability, to be fast and reliable... anything more than that it's just icing on the cake.

Definitely update to rev 14. No more need for any 002-based options on certain games. No unfortunate bugs like 13 had. It's the perfect time to change.

Do we know that for sure?
I mean, hasn't it been out for like 1 day? Honest question.

Clipper

This is where I'd usually go and post the GWHT image again, but lets try just going with a link and see what happens.

Dash Kappei said:
Do we know that for sure?
I mean, hasn't it been out for like 1 day? Honest question.
People were complaining about the rev 13 bug within hours. Nobody is complaining about rev 14, yet. I guess something might come up, but it seems Waninkoko got it all right this time (at least for the stuff needed by USB Loader).

Just got usbloader sorted and it works fine indeed (yay) but a few questions:
1. How can I put the games as channels on the Wii Menu screen? I seen a screenshot or two like that, that is a very neat feature i like.
2. What is stopping me from just renting games, installing them then play the game whenever?

FSLink

Banned
flipping_heck said:
Just got usbloader sorted and it works fine indeed (yay) but a few questions:
1. How can I put the games as channels on the Wii Menu screen? I seen a screenshot or two like that, that is a very neat feature i like.
2. What is stopping me from just renting games, installing them then play the game whenever?
1. Yaulct is what I use to make them.
2. Nothing except morals.

Clipper

The BannerBomb site is still down, but somebody has put up a mirror of the page with all the download links here.

Oh and I'll just say my usual installing channels of any kind is dangerous warning, but feel free to ignore it.

SS4Rob

Synless said:

This is me - it hasn't been broken so I hadn't fixed it. However I bought Wii Sports Resort and it currently displays a error 002, so now I need to update. :) Should I get 37a or 37ax? I'm leaning toward 37a since it has auto updates.

Also:
Starwolf_UK said:
<snip>Using a USB forwarder like Loadstructor mean</snip> Playing games through them brings up the proper stats on the message board.

This appeals greatly to me - while I like how USB loader has all of my games in a nice list, I really value play stats. Wish there was a way around this to do both at once, without the potential to brick the Wii by installing channels. Le sigh.

Clipper said:
You have to run it once normally, then use the USB version. Once you have seen the MotionPlus video once, it should work fine. Also update, or you will need to keep watching the MotionPlus video every time you have played something of the SD channel in-between WSR plays.

Late to reply but thank you!! That worked! :lol :D

Clipper

SS4Rob said:
This is me - it hasn't been broken so I hadn't fixed it. However I bought Wii Sports Resort and it currently displays a error 002, so now I need to update. :) Should I get 37a or 37ax? I'm leaning toward 37a since it has auto updates.
You should get 37 (the 'a's stand for alpha, which the release version improves upon).

Amon37

Ok so I haven't updated stuff in a while let me see if I have this right

I can just install Rev. 14 and USB V37 from the HBC Without needing to uninstall anything correct?

SS4Rob

Hmm... here are some of my findings with Wii Sports Resort:

1.) As I said above, when using cfg usb loader v31 w/ cIOS rev10, I got an error 002. I upgraded to cfg usb loader v37 and stayed with cIOS rev10 and it loads and plays properly. I thought I needed cIOS rev14 also but apparently not. I've been keeping rev10 since it rips quickly and is stable, should I upgrade to rev14 anyway even though everything seems to be kosher?

2.) I tried to replicate the bug where if you play a VC/WW games off of the SD card, you have to watch the Motion+ videos again - I couldn't replicate the problem. The last update I applied was from my Punch-Out!! disc. I also have a note from Nintendo telling me to update to 4.1. Is this bug a Japanese WSR issue since I can't replicate it? Should I update anyway? Is performance really improved?

Yeah, cfg usb loader v37 is quite simply the bomba BTW - glad I upgraded it. :)

SS4Rob

Amon37 said:
Ok so I haven't updated stuff in a while let me see if I have this right

I can just install Rev. 14 and USB V37 from the HBC Without needing to uninstall anything correct?

No need to uninstall, just overwrite directories - piece of cake.

Ok.........here is my question.

I'm running on a 3.2U Firmware rev 10 and already have HBC installed

If I were to want to upgrade to 4.1......

1. is it worth it?
2. is it relatively quick and easy?

CO_Andy

If you don't update you can't play Little King's Story in 480p! I can confirm this after running the game through Gecko OS and avoiding the update on a 3.2U firmware.

Could just be a special case, but if you're wondering why you can't play <blank> game in progressive, here's your answer.

CO_Andy said:
If you don't update you can't play Little King's Story in 480p! I can confirm this after running the game through Gecko OS and avoiding the update on a 3.2U firmware.

Could just be a special case, but if you're wondering why you can't play <blank> game in progressive, here's your answer.

hmm.....that could very well push me over since I was definitely interested in picking that up

mugwhump

Okay, so I have 3.2U and the homebrew channel and want to upgrade to 4.0 so I can play WSR (while keeping my homebrew, of course)

All I have to do is install IOS249 (as shown here) and then update through the system menu, right? And that's all?

I've been out of the loop for a while...

Clipper

SS4Rob said:
Hmm... here are some of my findings with Wii Sports Resort:

1.) As I said above, when using cfg usb loader v31 w/ cIOS rev10, I got an error 002. I upgraded to cfg usb loader v37 and stayed with cIOS rev10 and it loads and plays properly. I thought I needed cIOS rev14 also but apparently not. I've been keeping rev10 since it rips quickly and is stable, should I upgrade to rev14 anyway even though everything seems to be kosher?
Hmm. 31 was before rev 13 came out, so it doesn't have the 002 fix. That is why 37 worked. However, you might find that some of your games that used to work no longer do. For those you would need to either use rev 14 or set the Anti-002 fix on every game that fails.

I recommend upgrading to rev 14 anyway. It's apparently not the fastest one, but it is close and definitely has the best compatibility.

2.) I tried to replicate the bug where if you play a VC/WW games off of the SD card, you have to watch the Motion+ videos again - I couldn't replicate the problem.
Perhaps some systems don't demonstrate the bug. If you're on 4.0 already, you might as well upgrade, as it doesn't have any security changes.

CO_Andy said:

I think this is just a special case. Perhaps you were forcing a particular video mode in the options and didn't realise it. Incidentally, what's the most recently released game you played before LKS?

mugwhump said:
Okay, so I have 3.2U and the homebrew channel and want to upgrade to 4.0 so I can play WSR (while keeping my homebrew, of course)

All I have to do is install IOS249 (as shown here) and then update through the system menu, right? And that's all?

There is no need to install IOS249 unless you want to use USB Loader. You also don't need to upgrade to play WSR; I didn't. You can't experience the bug as you can't play games from the SD card. If you want games on the SD card functionality, or access to the Wii Shop, then yes, do install 4.1 through the system menu.

Otherwise the choice is up to you. There is virtually no difference to the installation methods for IOS249 now, so it is safe to upgrade without installing first if you like.

Clipper

OK, so it seems that my premature statements about rev 14 being bugless were misfounded. Apparently there are issues with Conduit multiplayer and Smash Bros. movies. I can confirm the Smash Bros. bug myself (crashes during "How to Play" video when the game is left at the splash screen).

As for the question of whether you should update or not, I still would. The bugs seem pretty minor and far-spread so far. Hopefully there'll be a fix soon, as it would be nice to have a perfect IOS solution.

mugwhump

mugwhump said:

derp, I just installed cios38 rev 14 (after updating my homebrew channel and installing bootmii) and now when I click on an app in the homebrew channel it says "this is not a valid wii application." Still haven't upgraded to 4.0 though...

Was that supposed to happen? D:

fernoca

Oh well..me again..
Everything's fine...just noticed one .."minor" thing and is that , yesterday I updated to 4.1..everything's cool and stuff..but noticed that every time I click on the SD icon on the Wii Menu it crashes the Wii..

Is there a file in the SD card, that it's causing it..that might be solved by deleting it?

I think..the original file/channel I put in there (to start the homebrew/hack process) is still there which is why I think it's crashing, but..I don't remember the name or anything.. :p

Top Bottom