• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Since VC/Wii Ware games can't install IOSes on their own like Disc Games with update partitions can, I assume the update check when running the Shop Channel is to make sure that everyone has all possible IOSes before running any WW/VC games.

Of course it serves to lock out homebrewers who don't want their shit deleted and Nintendo could care less about that because they are big babies.

HUELEN10

Clipper said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the new Wii SKUs with MotionPlus packed in for PAL regions that are about to launch will be 4.2 from the outset.
Damn... :(
There is a difference between pimping homebrew and pimping piracy.
Righty-o, though I don't think I really pimp homebrew much at all, I just talk about it when it is on topic for the most part, or in this awesome thread. :D

imthemaid

Banned
Clipper said:
There is a difference between pimping homebrew and pimping piracy.

The motivation's different, but the result's the same.

This guy should be the last person to decry G4 for the attention they may be bringing to Wii's hackability, and negative effects the attention could cause. He's been doing the same thing on a smaller scale for ages.

Maybe you missed all of the posts earlier on in hacking threads about how great emulators Wii are, and how they make the virtual console redundant.

As irritating as piracy is, it's less annoying than hypocrisy.

imthemaid

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Righty-o, though I don't think I really pimp homebrew much at all, I just talk about it when it is on topic for the most part, or in this awesome thread. :D

For a while I felt like I couldn't go into a thread without you jabbering on about it.

Ravidrath

Dammit, updated without thinking to check this thread, first...

So long import Wii and GC games until they come up with a way around this. :\

Linkhero1

HUELEN10 said:
So, how long do you think it will be until we see Wii units with 4.2 installed on shelves? If it's anytime soon, I might just say "fuck it" and get a 2nd Wii.
I think in the next month or so. I already own two Wiis so I'm not really worried about updating and what not.

Ravidrath said:
Dammit, updated without thinking to check this thread, first...

So long import Wii and GC games until they come up with a way around this. :\
I wouldn't worry. You might have to wait a while, but there's bound to be a work around this firmware update.

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
Cacka doo - got my wii yesterday after not having for a year.

I am on 3.4e - any hope for me to get the homebrew channel and the usb loader working - if anyone can help me out - would be amazing.

Linkhero1

josh_tarrant said:

I am on 3.4e - any hope for me to get the homebrew channel and the usb loader working - if anyone can help me out - would be amazing.
Everything you need right here:

You just need a game that would update your Wii to 4.0 or 4.1 firmware.

imthemaid

Banned
josh_tarrant said:

Sure, I'll help you out. Wait... you're not mainstream, are you?

Oh, nevermind. It's NeoGAF's Official Homebrew Tutorial (tm) to the rescue. Free free free free free! Just make sure you know the password: "idontpirate".

Clipper

Linkhero1 said:
You just need a game that would update your Wii to 4.0 or 4.1 firmware.
There's no such thing. The only way to get to 4.1 is with Waninkoko's updater apps. I'm probably going to add those to the tutorial sometime soon (once I work them out).

In any case, it's safe to stay on 3.X for now.

HUELEN10

Clipper said:
There's no such thing. The only way to get to 4.1 is with Waninkoko's updater apps. I'm probably going to add those to the tutorial sometime soon (once I work them out).

Wait, so Wii Sport Resort or Murumasa Demon Blade don't have a 4.x update on them? That really sucks.

HUELEN10

Found this on that one imageboard we all know and love/hate.
September 28, 2009

Wii Menu 4.2

Unauthorized Modifications
Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files. In addition, there are some behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance.

I don't see it on support.nintendo.com. The "behind the scenes" wording sounds officially, but the begging sounds a little bit off to me? Is this on some other Nintendo region' support site?

At least if true, it improves system performance. :lol

Linkhero1

Clipper said:

Oh. I thought WSR had 4.1 or something. I guess Nintendo is one step ahead of the game.

Clipper

Linkhero1 said:
Oh. I thought WSR had 4.1 or something. I guess Nintendo is one step ahead of the game.
4.1 was made to fix a bug in the system menu that interfered with Wii Sports Resort. All games since Madworld (or thereabouts) have included updates that only update the IOSes and not the firmware version. 4.0 was still recent then and no games forced you to change to it.

The only things you miss out on without 4.0/4.1 is the ability to move channels to the SD card and SDHC support.

Linkhero1

Clipper said:
4.1 was made to fix a bug in the system menu that interfered with Wii Sports Resort. All games since Madworld (or thereabouts) have included updates that only update the IOSes and not the firmware version. 4.0 was still recent then and no games forced you to change to it.

The only things you miss out on without 4.0/4.1 is the ability to move channels to the SD card and SDHC support.
Oooh. Didn't know that. It seems best option is to stay on whatever firmware your on until it's safe to update.

HUELEN10 said:
Found this on that one imageboard we all know and love/hate.

I don't see it on support.nintendo.com. The "behind the scenes" wording sounds officially, but the begging sounds a little bit off to me? Is this on some other Nintendo region' support site?

At least if true, it improves system performance. :lol

Are you talking about
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/systemMenuFeatures.jsp

?

Also, I read on a certain site I won't name "Use WiiSCU to update the shop channel. Use NUS Downloader to download the Wii Shop Channel v17". Will theis work?

I MUST get more virtual console games and Castlevania, Contra, and Cave Story one day!

Mejilan said:
I wonder if Nintendo patched the Lego Indy Jones and SSBB exploits. Because if not, then most of their efforts here can probably be undone.
My theory is they have had 4.2 ready for a while now (maybe even as long as 4.1 has been out for) and they held back on releasing it. Why? So it will a disc based update with NSBW and Wii Fit Plus (disc based updates are always months behind official but it seems to have gotten insane now...I mean are there any discs out there with 4.0 updates on then let alone 4.1?). You would want to make your biggest anti-piracy attack with your two biggest titles of the year...
fakeedit:Clipper mentioned the answer...

In the past updates have been "completed" months before their release (I think 3.3 was about 3 months) and with the Indiana Pwns hack being released last week it won't be patched. However, it is back to the bad old days of needing to run the hack every time (before the homebrew channel existed one would have to twilgiht hack every single time...).

Indiana Pwns, will be killed for sure with a 4.3 (and killed for good, no resurrections like Twilight Hack) but Smash Stack will be harder to kill since the exploit file is kind of invisible to the system menu.

lobdale said:
The day after I bought 2000 points worth of VC and WiiWare, Nintendo crushes my ability to do so! Thanks Nintendo! Now, to disable WiiConnect24...
At least you bought 2000 points worth. I'm left with 2000 unspent points...

The thing that really sucks with this 4.2 update for now if you ask me is the boot2. From what I am aware that is irreversible and bootmii doesn't work with the new boot2 for a reason...

HUELEN10

josh_tarrant said:
Cheers Guys - got the homebrew channel installed - will do the usb loader later -

I am one patch away from being a proper FAIL!
Seriously, you are part of the problem with that attitude. This thread and the homebrew wiki is not intended for illegitimate use. Homebrew is a tool, use it for good and not evil, lest the tool be possibly taken away completely one day by Nintendo themselves. Bye bye imports, bye bye save backups. :(
Clipper said:
Which sadly, is a huge deal to some like myself. :(
Starwolf_UK said:
The thing that really sucks with this 4.2 update for now if you ask me is the boot2. From what I am aware that is irreversible and bootmii doesn't work with the new boot2 for a reason...
Is it true that the update makes it essentially identical to the newer Wii units (boot2 thing I mean)? If this is the case, I might want to cut my losses, sell my Wii for a profit while I still can, and buy a black Wii if it hits the USA. I would then save up and use the rest of the money for a JPN Wii for my imports.

Turrican3

lobdale said:
This would be fine, if region protection had ever had anything to do with being safe or friendly. From the beginning, region locks have had everything to do with preventing one timed or differently available game release from cannibalizing the sales in other regions. Imagine: Nintendo releases Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, and everyone in the world with a Nintendo outside Japan imports it, super-inflating the Japanese sales of the game. Then Nintendo of America makes English packaging, a new manual, and throws a marketing push behind it, and sells 15 copies.
I don't think there are THAT many regular importers around to justify a region-locked system.

Not to mention that with proper planning it *is* possible to simultaneously (or with barely noticeable delays, say a couple of weeks maximum) release a game in all the three main so-called "regions". Nintendo itself did it many times, problem is they apparently do *not* want to do it all the time. Which is ultimately the reason why I don't think a region free Wii would be a problem for them: take Excitebots for example, it seems it won't be released in Europe and it was a massive bomba in the USA, would it really hurt Nintendo if someone from UK or Germany decided to buy it overseas?

This kind of reasoning becomes even more mindboggling if we take into account the fact that Nintendo had, until DSi at least, a completely different region locking policy on its handhelds. What the...?!?!???

HUELEN10

Also, here's something I've never even considered. This could be the beginning of the end for games like Brawl +, couldn't it?

;_;

Vagabundo

HUELEN10 said:
Seriously, you are part of the problem with that attitude. This thread and the homebrew wiki is not intended for illegitimate use. Homebrew is a tool, use it for good and not evil, lest the tool be possibly taken away completely one day by Nintendo themselves. Bye bye imports, bye bye save backups. :(

I believe your sarcasm detector might be faulty.
But I could be wrong.

Clipper said:
They aren't preventing people from buying stuff, they are preventing Homebrewers from buying stuff. Upgrade to 4.2 and all will be good from a Nintendo point of view.

Yes, this sucks, but Nintendo doesn't have a choice. Piracy is extremely difficult without the HBC, so it makes sense to take it out in order to take out the casual pirates. It's a bold move and I applaud it.

There will surely soon be workarounds for people who didn't upgrade yet. However, new Wiis (I'd be willing to bet that every one on the new PAL bundles with Wii Sports Resort will ship with this firmware), will likely take a little bit longer to crack.

this.
HBC is/was used mostly for piracy. So, I can't believe that some of you are angry at Nintendo that they block the HBC.
pirating on Wii was extremly easy before that update.

HUELEN10 said:
Is it true that the update makes it essentially identical to the newer Wii units (boot2 thing I mean)? If this is the case, I might want to cut my losses, sell my Wii for a profit while I still can, and buy a black Wii if it hits the USA. I would then save up and use the rest of the money for a JPN Wii for my imports.
The boot2 thing:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.2 said:
Updates your boot2 to boot2v4 (what LU64+'s have). (That means no downgrading of any IOS, and due to that, you can't revert back to your old System Menu. So BootMii as boot2 installed is removed.)
Actually...looking at the talk page:
Given the proper boot1 version, it can be installed on boot2v4 that's what I have it on, the boot1 is where the exploit lays. What I wanna know is if Hackmii Installer 0.4 TEST runs, if so, then I can update worry free, actually =p Cactusjack901 08:02, 29 September 2009 (UTC)
Now I am officially confused.

Wait and see sounds like the motto for now. My personal philosophy is if I'm double dipping on hardware because of region locking then both I and they have failed. Also, if I had my Wii break 10 times the last thing I would think of considering is double-dipping on the warranty-less variety.

Also, here's something I've never even considered. This could be the beginning of the end for games like Brawl +, couldn't it?
We have to see how Smash Stack fares (if it ever work on non-US versions?) but it seems smash stack your way into gecko os (or whatever it is they use for the brawl+ codes) then run brawl would still work...

Clipper

Guys, I can confirm personally that the Wii Shop is accessible. My Wii is still on 3.2. The procedure is using WiiSCU to update IOS61 and the Wii Shop.

I should have a tutorial page up for both online and offline installs soon.

Edit: actually make that online installs only. It doesn't support offline installs.

Edit2: And here's a link to the page. Wii Shop for everyone :).

Haunted

Does this update only remove the HBC or also any channels installed via?

I've got the USBLoader(s) on my Wii Channel Menu since I use em all the time, will those be affected, too?

In any case, I should tell everyone to not update.

edit: and Clipper def deserves a tag for all the help he's been doing in this thread over the last couple months.

HUELEN10

Clipper said:
Guys, I can confirm personally that the Wii Shop is accessible. My Wii is still on 3.2. The procedure is using WiiSCU to update IOS61 and the Wii Shop.

Edit: actually make that online installs only. It doesn't support offline installs.

FUCK YES!

Thank you clipper, you seriously rock!

Clipper

Thanks for the support guys.

In other news, I'm discovering that a lot of stuff has hit the PAL VC in the last few weeks! StarTropics II at last! PilotWings and Kirby's Dreamland 3 are tempting too.

And because we likely need this every page again right now:

VAIL

Clipper said:

Great info, thanks.

And screw G4, that was just classless of them.

swerve

Wow, the UK message from Nintendo is pretty harsh:

"Please note that the removal of unauthorised content may lead to immediate or delayed inoperability of your console."

'delayed inoperability' is a pretty scary prospect, but I guess most of the homebrew stuff is fairly safe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cannot, for the life of me, get Dead Space: Extraction working on the USB loader.

I've ripped the game three times, using both CFG and WiiFlow. I've tried different settings. I've researched, and some others have problems while many have none at all.

What the fuck could be causing something like this?

Clipper

EatChildren said:
I cannot, for the life of me, get Dead Space: Extraction working on the USB loader.

I've ripped the game three times, using both CFG and WiiFlow. I've tried different settings. I've researched, and some others have problems while many have none at all.

What the fuck could be causing something like this?
Try ripping with IOS222 instead of IOS249.

swerve

Wow, the UK message from Nintendo is pretty harsh:

"Please note that the removal of unauthorised content may lead to immediate or delayed inoperability of your console."

'delayed inoperability' is a pretty scary prospect, but I guess most of the homebrew stuff is fairly safe.

The Japanese message says the same, but at least it says 'although if you've always used your Wii correctly, nothing bad will happen'.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:
Try ripping with IOS222 instead of IOS249.

Thank's, although I'm not sure how to do that. I usually just stick the disk in and hit 'install'. I didn't see any visable options for ripping. Any pointers?

Gagaman

Is there a way to remove all traces of homebrew (as in wiping off everything related to it and reverting to how the Wii was before) before upgrading? Considering just removing it for now and maybe reinstalling it all in the future if they get around it. I don't really use it a lot anyway: though I was going to import the odd game or two.

Clipper

Gagaman said:
Is there a way to remove all traces of homebrew (as in wiping off everything related to it and reverting to how the Wii was before) before upgrading? Considering just removing it for now and maybe reinstalling it all in the future if they get around it. I don't really use it a lot anyway: though I was going to import the odd game or two.
Upgrading to 4.2 does this for you. It will delete everything except for IOS202 and IOS250. You may never be able to go back, though.

Well, to be exact it doesn't remove traces of it like playtime logs. The only way to do that is if the first thing you ever did with homebrew was install BootMii and make a backup.

Gagaman

Clipper said:
Upgrading to 4.2 does this for you. It will delete everything except for IOS202 and IOS250. You may never be able to go back, though.

Well, to be exact it doesn't remove traces of it like playtime logs. The only way to do that is if the first thing you ever did with homebrew was install BootMii and make a backup.
Yeah, I could do that, but then the 'if we find and delete it ourselves there may be future consequences' bit scares me a little. :lol

HUELEN10

Clipper said:

What if you format the Wii before/after the update? No playtime logs obviously, but would anything get "left"?

By future consequences all I can guess is the installation ticket of the homebrew channel isn't removed by system menu 4.2 (while removing it though the hackmii installer would do this?) so in theory Nintendo could turn around if you send the Wii for repair and go "oh you've had homebrew, we're charging you £200. If oyu don't want to pay we will send the broken Wii back or throw it in the bin".

However, it is hard to gauge the importance since it is unclear if Nintendo look for tickets when repairing a Wii (or will). The remailed internal memo that appeared on the hackmii blog months back suggests they just look at the menu and check there are no homebrew channels (they gave a few examples).

I'm not sure if Nintendo bother checking message boards (or are even allowed to by law?).

HUELEN10, formatting does not delete installation tickets. This is why you can still re-download items from the Wii shop after a format. The format will get rid of the message board though.

But for now there is no need to be on menu 4.2 and there probably never will be any need.

This is going to sound odd, BUT. With the current batch of JPN Wiis before 4.2 shows up commonplace, can they theoretically be "region changed" to a USA Wii via any downgrading tomfoolery?

Anony

i'm on 4.0, and i did not have any problems with wiisports resort
of course, i played like a total of 5 hours of it, but still problems

wii firmware updates are always worthless, NEVER update them, turn wiiconnect24 off

when nintendo releases a 5.x update with some added features, and i'll think about updating

TunaLover

To use Wii Shop Channel again, just update the channel through WiiSCU, open the app, choose YES on Wii Shop Channel.

If the Wii Shop Channel still promts a system update you could need patch IOS61 too, but don't do it just yet, as Dr. Clipper doesn't recomends it. :D

Any reason Clipper?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Clipper said:

What about the one on the Guitar Hero 5 disc? Same thing? Because as far as I know, I had the latest (post-Wii Sports Resort) firmware on the system already, and the GH5 disc still asked me to update the system when I put it in.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anony said:
i'm on 4.0, and i did not have any problems with wiisports resort
of course, i played like a total of 5 hours of it, but still problems

wii firmware updates are always worthless, NEVER update them, turn wiiconnect24 off

when nintendo releases a 5.x update with some added features, and i'll think about updating
Its a known issue that if you play something off the SD card and then go to play WSR you will be forced to watch the intro video again. Wii updates have added the ability to use the SD card in games and to save VC/Wiiware games to the SD card, so they are not always worthless.

Top Bottom