• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Bizzyb

Banned
TunaLover said:
Reading 2 post above you =P
:lol

Oh snap!. Yeah I guess it would have been wise to read before posting. Thanks all the Same!
edit: how safe is this? Can anyone with 4.1 confirm it works?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:
Try ripping with IOS222 instead of IOS249.

Still doesn’t work.

You know what makes this whole thing retarded? The game progresses a little further each time I rip the disk. At the moment I still can’t get past the Visceral logo, but each time I’ve made a fresh rip of the disk it gets half a second further than it did on the last rip.

How does that even make sense? Maybe my disk reader is fucked and is ripping the disks badly. Then again, that wouldn’t make sense since I can play it fine via the disk.

Should I try scrubbing the image I’ve ripped? Is there any content, like a disk check or something, that I could look for?

TreIII

Hmm...

My Wii was doing the "Bruce LeRoy glow" this past week and some change. Good thing I haven't updated yet!

Again, I only hope that I can look forward to playing NSMB by just Gecko Booting it. I'd hate to miss out on it...

Bizzyb

Banned
Gagaman said:
Yeah, I could do that, but then the 'if we find and delete it ourselves there may be future consequences' bit scares me a little. :lol

What are you so afraid of? If your Wii ultimately bricks and kicks the bucket then just buy a new one. Heck they're only $200 now. It's not like Nintendo is going to come to your house and kill you or anything :lol

Amon37

Linkhero1 said:
Honestly, if I didn't go on GAF today I think I would have accidentally updated my Wii. I do believe that we will be able to get past this just like with every other update.

I never update the firmware on any system without checking GAF first. :lol

TunaLover

Bizzyb said:
:lol

Oh snap!. Yeah I guess it would have been wise to read before posting. Thanks all the Same!
edit: how safe is this? Can anyone with 4.1 confirm it works?

It work for me, I´m on 4.1U

If the Wii Shop Channel insist in update after updating via WiiSCU, just update the IOS61 (-trucha) with the same app.

It won´t affect your Wii since the program donwloads everything fron Nintendo servers, but patch some inconvenient anti HBC things =P

is there any other good/interesting homebrew, besides emulators and the usb loader? I don't use any emulators. I use the USB loader, but it annoys me that I can't keep track of my playtime when using it. I'm thinking of just going for the update and saying screw it to homebrew. oh, i don't import anything either.

I just want to know if there is anything interesting/cool for which I should hold off on updating.

JodyAnthony said:
is there any other good/interesting homebrew, besides emulators and the usb loader? I don't use any emulators. I use the USB loader, but it annoys me that I can't keep track of my playtime when using it. I'm thinking of just going for the update and saying screw it to homebrew. oh, i don't import anything either.

I just want to know if there is anything interesting/cool for which I should hold off on updating.

Tyrian! Though it runs on just about everything. Still, any chance to bring it up. Just in case you don't have access to a Windows box, Mac, Amiga, Dreamcast, DS, GameCube, Gizmondo, GP2X, Nokia Internet Tablet, PSP, PS3 Linux, or Symbian. :D

Bizzyb

Banned
JodyAnthony said:

Thanks Tunalover

As for good apps, Yes! There is one that allows you to save your Miis to your SD card should something happen to your Wii. Also there is an app that lets your save game files to your SD card. Files that are normally non copyable, like Brawl, Mario Kart, etc. Pretty much EVERY game that uses the Wifi connection in ANY way is stuck on your system memory and cannot be saved to the SD card as backup. So if your Wii bricks that means having to unlock everything all over again. This app solves that problem. These are two of the best apps around. Also, there is GeckOS that lets you play import games.

Mithos

TunaLover said:
You´re on 4.1?

Yes. with ios56/57 and ios61 (clean/vanilla ios, no truscha patch) updated to newest versions today.

EDIT:
Second try with WiiSCU same result, so I just used NUSD instead to fix it.

Gagaman

Bizzyb said:
What are you so afraid of? If your Wii ultimately bricks and kicks the bucket then just buy a new one. Heck they're only $200 now. It's not like Nintendo is going to come to your house and kill you or anything :lol
I'd rather not have to buy another one, what would be the point of doing that, other than wasting money? I shouldn't have to buy more than one of a console, ever. But I guess in an age where people have been through multiple X-Box 360's and PS3's I can see how that would 'solve a problem', but sod that.

TunaLover

Mithos said:
Yes. with ios56/57 and ios61 (clean/vanilla ios, no truscha patch) updated to newest versions today.

Ok, maybe you need update your IOS61, make it with the same WiiSCU, the option Update IOS61 (-trucha). It will download a new version of IOS61 (vanilla/clean) =P

It should be more than enough, BTW what region is your Wii?

i'd have no problem spending the money to buy a replacement wii. my problem is all of my VC/WiiWare games (like $300 worth) being tied to that one console.

Mithos

TunaLover said:
Ok, maybe you need update your IOS61, make it with the same WiiSCU, the option Update IOS61 (-trucha). It will download a new version of IOS61 (vanilla/clean) =P

It should be more than enough, BTW what region is your Wii?

Well for some reason it didn't work, so like I said, I just took NUSD and fix it manually.

And my Wii is an NTSC-USA Wii on 4.1u

nli10

Clipper said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the new Wii SKUs with MotionPlus packed in for PAL regions that are about to launch will be 4.2 from the outset.

About to launch? The fat boxes are in UK stock rooms right now! :D

No idea on the firmware etc. Sure it'll be known before the end of the week.

Hell I don't think I want to update my Wii ever again. I own 5 import Wii games and I don't wanna be shit-out-of-luck playing them. I also don't really buy anything from Wii Shop Channel anymore. I'm worried if I try to update it with WiiSCU I'll somehow brick it. I mean I tried updating my newly purchased Acekard2i so it would work on my 1.4 DSi and I bricked that >_>;

Nabs

MidnightScott said:
Hell I don't think I want to update my Wii ever again. I own 5 import Wii games and I don't wanna be shit-out-of-luck playing them. I also don't really buy anything from Wii Shop Channel anymore. I'm worried if I try to update it with WiiSCU I'll somehow brick it. I mean I tried updating my newly purchased Acekard2i so it would work on my 1.4 DSi and I bricked that >_>;

do you have bootmii installed?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Starwolf_UK said:
By future consequences all I can guess is the installation ticket of the homebrew channel isn't removed by system menu 4.2 (while removing it though the hackmii installer would do this?) so in theory Nintendo could turn around if you send the Wii for repair and go "oh you've had homebrew, we're charging you £200. If oyu don't want to pay we will send the broken Wii back or throw it in the bin".

However, it is hard to gauge the importance since it is unclear if Nintendo look for tickets when repairing a Wii (or will). The remailed internal memo that appeared on the hackmii blog months back suggests they just look at the menu and check there are no homebrew channels (they gave a few examples).

I'm not sure if Nintendo bother checking message boards (or are even allowed to by law?).

HUELEN10, formatting does not delete installation tickets. This is why you can still re-download items from the Wii shop after a format. The format will get rid of the message board though.

But for now there is no need to be on menu 4.2 and there probably never will be any need.

I recently (as in less than a month ago) sent in my bricked wii to get repaired under warranty and they sent me back a new/refurb (although I think it was new because it was pristine!) without any issue.

My Wii bricked because Wiiconnect24 was on and I guess my system didn't shut down properly, so it was sitting there overheating for a week with no fans; when I ultimately disconnected my Wii, it was the hottest I'd ever felt it.. so I imagine it fried the video chip on the internals long before I had realized it wasn't fully 'off'.

My Wii still had the HBC and USBLoader installed on the menu, but the nature of the brick was that the system wouldn't even boot up (it was a black screen) and everything was dead.. so perhaps they couldn't even check it at all and just sent me a replacement right away (I had my machine sent in and back within 3 days of sending it).

*shrug* anecdotal evidence at least.

From now on, I've turned off WiiConnect24 for good, as it caused more harm than good.

koam

Are brand new Wiis hackable? My brother just ordered one off amazon, wonder if he can install the HB channel on it. (assuming it's on 4.1)

DrEvil

koam said:
Are brand new Wiis hackable? My brother just ordered one off amazon, wonder if he can install the HB channel on it. (assuming it's on 4.1)

Yes!

The one Nintendo sent back to me was a virgin 3.2U system (surprisingly, I was expecting 4.0+) and I was able to go through the process in a little under an hour or so once I grabbed all the requisite files for bannerbomb etc.

It's very likely that any Wii you buy from a store or online will be 3.2 or 3.3.

I don't think any Wii's that aren't in warehouses are 4.0+ yet, as there's usually a pretty decent delay between a company like EB or Amazon buying a Wii from a distributor, it getting to their warehouse, then going through enough stock to finally get to the Wii's that are 4.0+

Think of it like a grocery store or Costco, you see the stuff on the floor that you buy? They've probably had that for 2 months, if you look up on the shelves at the stuff still in boxes, it usually says "Shipped xx/xx/xx" which is usually only a few weeks ago, but the stuff on the floor is probably two months prior to that... There's an inherent shelf life when it comes to consoles and how fast system revs hit the retail world en masse.

Surprisingly, Nintendo even transfered my clubNintendo license to my new Wii, as when I logged into the Shop Channel, it was already linked to my Wii without me needing to do it or log-in or anything.

I was able to redownload all my VC content without issue, which was very very convenient.

koam

DrEvil said:
Yes!

The one Nintendo sent back to me was a virgin 3.2U system (surprisingly, I was expecting 4.0+) and I was able to go through the process in a little under an hour or so once I grabbed all the requisite files for bannerbomb etc.

It's very likely that any Wii you buy from a store or online will be 3.2 or 3.3.

I don't think any Wii's that aren't in warehouses are 4.0+ yet, as there's usually a pretty decent delay between a company like EB or Amazon buying a Wii from a distributor, it getting to their warehouse, then going through enough stock to finally get to the Wii's that are 4.0+

Think of it like a grocery store or Costco, you see the stuff on the floor that you buy? They've probably had that for 2 months, if you look up on the shelves at the stuff still in boxes, it usually says "Shipped xx/xx/xx" which is usually only a few weeks ago, but the stuff on the floor is probably two months prior to that... There's an inherent shelf life when it comes to consoles and how fast system revs hit the retail world en masse.

Surprisingly, Nintendo even transfered my clubNintendo license to my new Wii, as when I logged into the Shop Channel, it was already linked to my Wii without me needing to do it or log-in or anything.

I was able to redownload all my VC content without issue, which was very very convenient.

Awesome, thanks

DrEvil

koam said:
Awesome, thanks

Obviously, if it's a LU64 or above, it is still hackable but it takes slightly longer.

the system they sent me back was a LU63, which was hackable without issue, but I couldn't install bootMii to boot2, so instead I installed preloader for all my disc-update blocking needs.

I skipped bootMii since I couldn't do a NAND backup on the LU63 they sent back, so just be sure to check your serial number as it'll determine the ease at which you can hack your Wii.

But, like I said, your Wii will be hackable, regardless if it's a 63 or 64, you just won't have the added security of a NAND backup :(

Clipper

DrEvil said:
Obviously, if it's a LU64 or above, it is still hackable but it takes slightly longer.
Actually, post-LU64s take exactly the same amount of time to hack as pre-LU64s now.

For anybody still worried about the shop, it worked for me and I updated the tutorial to match before going to bed last night. It also worked for a friend with an NTSC Wii. Perhaps there's some cred to this v16/v17 thing, though I can't work out what the difference is between them.

So bushing has posted a news item Wii Menu System 4.2. It basically comes down to "lol nintendo".

Also comex writes about Bannerbomb in the comments there:

comex said:
the “fix” for bannerbomb is retarded, new version tomorrow hopefully

Told you guys not to start freaking out. This is Nintendo.

GaussTek

LOL, yeah. we should expect that in every update.

The only downside I see for now is that it replaces the IOS used for the cIOS, so that screws the USB Loader. You know, I simply don't use my discs anymore, so I could miss it. But probably we'll also see a workaround.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, reading through the Hackmii blog post about the 4.2 update, it really does seem like a very targeted attack at very specific (and for the most part, easily modify-able) files and title IDs. So much like their initial attempts to quash the Twilight Hack, easily defeated.

Regarding Clipper's Shop Channel restoration tutorial, I can confirm that it works with wired connections (official Nintendo LAN adapter) as well. I've added a notation to the tutorial accordingly.

GaussTek said:
The only downside I see for now is that it replaces the IOS used for the cIOS, so that screws the USB Loaders. You know, I simply don't use my discs anymore. But probably we'll also see a workaround.

This is a pretty trivial countermeasure, easily undone with a properly run exploit, methinks.

quick someone send the good news to g4, let's get the word out

the continued specific targeting going on here makes me think that nintendo's biggest concern is large numbers of casual pirates taking advantage of comfortable, well-known, and well-documented exploits. either that or they have some extremely incompetent full-timers in charge of system security :lol

A Twisty Fluken said:
quick someone send the good news to g4, let's get the word out

the continued specific targeting going on here makes me think that nintendo's biggest concern is large numbers of casual pirates taking advantage of comfortable, well-known, and well-documented exploits. either that or they have some extremely incompetent full-timers in charge of system security :lol
If casual pirates are the overwhelming minority (say >90%), the really simple measures they've been employing might be cost/time effective for stamping it out without escalating the "arms race" and making it hard for them to institute fixes and/or countermeasures.

Either that or they have the work experience kid doing their security code.

Clipper

What this update has also done is broken half of the tutorials out there for installing piracy apps. So many of them go and package everything into one neat package, which is now completely obsolete and a recipe for disaster. Couple that with the fact that nobody bothers updating them and you just found a bunch of casual pirate wannabes trying out the tutorials, having them failing dismally and then giving up on homebrew entirely (which is a great thing).

Link1110

Clipper said:
What this update has also done is broken half of the tutorials out there for installing piracy apps. So many of them go and package everything into one neat package, which is now completely obsolete and a recipe for disaster. Couple that with the fact that nobody bothers updating them and you just found a bunch of casual pirate wannabes trying out the tutorials, having them failing dismally and then giving up on homebrew entirely (which is a great thing).
Quoted for the mods. Nice attempt at a stealth troll.

HUELEN10

Link1110 said:
Quoted for the mods. Nice attempt at a stealth troll.
55l89u.gif

Hint: You're not the dino.

Top Bottom