• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaffers @ TGS impression thread

Nolan.

tnw said:
played the Final Fantasy IV DS game. Nice FMV, the controls were not so good in my opinion. Very high random encounter rate, and in general DS-ish 3D graphics similar to FFIII that weren't really my cup of tea, especially with my nostalgia for the original version. One thing that irritated me was casting a spell on all enemies, it hits them all individually, unlike in the original where a spell just quickly hits them all at once. Really slowed down battles :/

They had a mega theater show, no cameras, at the Square Enix booth. There was an abosulute GORGEOUS trailer for FF XIII with English voice over. It really impressed me, and I'm not impressed with Square/Enix much these days. there were japanese subtitles.
the voice was very odd but cool, in a FF XII Fran kind of way. Creepy but really neat at the same time.There was video of the shiva motorcycle. It was kind of cool I guess, but it's hard not to get over the strangeness of the idea. Lightening doesn't really roll off the tongue either.

The FF XIII story is that of a Chrono Trigger Zeal-ish type city floating above the world with dirty unpure people living outside of it or something similar. All I could think of 'this is like zeal, and there's nothing wrong with repeating that idea!

The trailer also had a bunch of other silly mobile phone game (Including parasite eve 3, lol) And a few too many Kingdom Hearts trailers that all looked meh.

There were also demos of Crisis Core avaliable, which is out here but I hadn't played it yet. I will admit it was very nice, and pretty fun to play (I didn't really get the controls). I was pretty turned off by the aesthetic of the game, but when I actually watched the FMV and played it It was actually pretty good.

They had a new cooking mama DS game. I made Carpaccio and peanut butter. It was pretty fun!

And some random arkanoid game for DS. Which was actually quite fun!

FFXIII sounds interesting I want to hear the voices now I liked fran.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Kabuki Waq said:
if Nights has no Non Waggle option i will be pissed.

Just give us the option to play the game with tight responsive(non-waggle) controls sega!

only the option ...
There really isn't a "waggle" option unless you count shaking the controller to do acrobatic flips. They could seriously map the entire scheme to just the nunchuk and the game would still control perfectly. The full game probably has a lot more waggle fun than the demo offered but the basic controls are probably the same.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
TheRagnCajun said:
Hey about the FFXIII impressions: Anything done in realtime? Anything that looked like gameplay?

looks all prerendered to me. But Versus looks fucking HOT. My god that trailer was nuts. FFXIII vanilla definitely has a sort of two-worlds thing going on.

tnw said:
played the Final Fantasy IV DS game. Nice FMV, the controls were not so good in my opinion. Very high random encounter rate, and in general DS-ish 3D graphics similar to FFIII that weren't really my cup of tea, especially with my nostalgia for the original version. One thing that irritated me was casting a spell on all enemies, it hits them all individually, unlike in the original where a spell just quickly hits them all at once. Really slowed down battles :/

They had a mega theater show, no cameras, at the Square Enix booth. There was an abosulute GORGEOUS trailer for FF XIII with English voice over. It really impressed me, and I'm not impressed with Square/Enix much these days. there were japanese subtitles.
the voice was very odd but cool, in a FF XII Fran kind of way. Creepy but really neat at the same time.There was video of the shiva motorcycle. It was kind of cool I guess, but it's hard not to get over the strangeness of the idea. Lightening doesn't really roll off the tongue either.

The FF XIII story is that of a Chrono Trigger Zeal-ish type city floating above the world with dirty unpure people living outside of it or something similar. All I could think of 'this is like zeal, and there's nothing wrong with repeating that idea!

The trailer also had a bunch of other silly mobile phone game (Including parasite eve 3, lol) And a few too many Kingdom Hearts trailers that all looked meh.

There were also demos of Crisis Core avaliable, which is out here but I hadn't played it yet. I will admit it was very nice, and pretty fun to play (I didn't really get the controls). I was pretty turned off by the aesthetic of the game, but when I actually watched the FMV and played it It was actually pretty good.

They had a new cooking mama DS game. I made Carpaccio and peanut butter. It was pretty fun!

And some random arkanoid game for DS. Which was actually quite fun!

I LOVE FRAN! :-x

cvxfreak

Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles
Finally got to try it out for myself. Capcom actually had two lines for it, and on Kobun Heat's advice I opted for the Wiimote line rather than the Zapper one (the Wiimote line was shorter too). I'm loving the overall presentation of the game. It's fairly slick. The gameplay is also coming together in a solid fashion. One of the cooler aspects is knocking out lights to darken the game. Aiming with the Wii Remote is pretty easy, and it's also useful to have the knife around. The game also seems fairly forgiving as checkpoints appear somewhat frequently. Graphically, it's one of the Wii's best, and while quite a bit of the detail from the GC games has been lost in the transition from 3D to pre-rendered, the game looks quite good in motion. Also, the game confirms my suspicions that it doesn't really feel like any of the Gun Survivor games before it. It's a bit slower than House of the Dead, but the on-rails aspect totally changes everything.

Final Fantasy IV
The game looks stunning on the DS and it's so awesome to see everything in 3D with voice acting. The game plays and feels like the original of course. Interestingly, the demo was set up so that the initial party was Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Rosa and Cid. We go through the Cave of Mist as in the original, but we run into Edward, who tells us to defeat the Antlion in the place where the Mist Dragon was originally. It's obviously not going to stick in the final game, but it was interesting anyway. Defeating Antlion ends the demo.

Biohazard 4 Mobile Edition
The game is surprisingly functional, and if played with traditional controls might actually not be too bad. The graphics of course are ugly, but good for bringing a game like RE4 down to PSone/N64/DS standards.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
Finally got to try it out for myself. Capcom actually had two lines for it, and on Kobun Heat's advice I opted for the Wiimote line rather than the Zapper one (the Wiimote line was shorter too). I'm loving the overall presentation of the game. It's fairly slick. The gameplay is also coming together in a solid fashion. One of the cooler aspects is knocking out lights to darken the game. Aiming with the Wii Remote is pretty easy, and it's also useful to have the knife around. The game also seems fairly forgiving as checkpoints appear somewhat frequently. Graphically, it's one of the Wii's best, and while quite a bit of the detail from the GC games has been lost in the transition from 3D to pre-rendered, the game looks quite good in motion. Also, the game confirms my suspicions that it doesn't really feel like any of the Gun Survivor games before it. It's a bit slower than House of the Dead, but the on-rails aspect totally changes everything.

Sweetness. Officially hyped now. :D

TreIII

I know sp0rsk should deliver later on...but c'mon...NOBODY has visited the Arc Systems Booth?

GG2 and Kunio-kun Dodge Ball...I'd really like to hear anything more on them, if possible.

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Final Fantasy IV
The game looks stunning on the DS and it's so awesome to see everything in 3D with voice acting. The game plays and feels like the original of course. Interestingly, the demo was set up so that the initial party was Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Rosa and Cid. We go through the Cave of Mist as in the original, but we run into Edward, who tells us to defeat the Antlion in the place where the Mist Dragon was originally. It's obviously not going to stick in the final game, but it was interesting anyway. Defeating Antlion ends the demo.

Biohazard 4 Mobile Edition
The game is surprisingly functional, and if played with traditional controls might actually not be too bad. The graphics of course are ugly, but good for bringing a game like RE4 down to PSone/N64/DS standards.

Was anyone there who played UC at E3 and could compare the two? Because I'm thinking it's more about different opinions on the game then suddenly in 2 months going from F- to a good game.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
TreIII said:
I know sp0rsk should deliver later on...but c'mon...NOBODY has visited the Arc Systems Booth?

GG2 and Kunio-kun Dodge Ball...I'd really like to hear anything more on them, if possible.

I visited.

Played GG2, I don't think they had Dodge Ball there but there were too many people for me to get visual confirmation.

TreIII

Reno said:
I visited.

Played GG2, I don't think they had Dodge Ball there but there were too many people for me to get visual confirmation.

Well, according to their TGS page, the game should have been there...

Maybe they just haven't put it out yet, considering no site (JP or ENG) has put out anything new regarding this game yet...

But any way, why don't you tell us a bit a bout GG2, since you're here?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
XHitoshuraX said:
Personally I love how it feels, the vibration does seem to location specific, to a degree. For instance, when playing MGS4 and say a gun is fired to the right of Snake, the controller vibrates accordingly to the right of the pad...

Need more impressions about the DualShock3. When you say "a gun is fired to the right of Snake" you mean Snake is hit by the bullet (and the controller vibrates) or it's more like a shockwave effect caused by someone firing somewhere neraby?

Also, how was the vibration per se? Standard stuff (albeit localized) or more "subtle" kinda like cell phones?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
tnw said:
Not according to this video. The battle system went under a lot of changes though.

Edit: Oh wait I see what you mean, wow, didn't think anybody would complain about that. :lol

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
Was anyone there who played UC at E3 and could compare the two? Because I'm thinking it's more about different opinions on the game then suddenly in 2 months going from F- to a good game.

UC is going to be a love it or hate it affair. People will be happy about its premise while others will find it unfulfilling because it isn`t RE4/RE5 or doesn`t have enough oomph in it. Personally, UC looks be to be quite the fan service so I`ll love it. It comes off as a kind of interactive Wesker`s Report. :D

As for the change, I`m sure Capcom saw the criticism and wised up on a few things. The E3 demo was based on the shitty-in-comparison-to-the-GC-games Biohazard 3 scenario that used the old PS2 Outbreak assets (so only that level would look like crap graphically) and the physics were obviously not as good back then. I suggest you rent it upon release if you want to know the storyline.

Top Bottom