• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GafStarter: interesting game projects on Kickstarter & co.

jett

D-Member
I'm still sad that my game of show at Eurogamer Expo 2011, Molecat Twist, never got anywhere near the funding it needed. Even after being advertised on Kotaku:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molecats/molecat-twist-indirect-puzzle-game?ref=category

mt_screens09_460.jpg

Yeah that game looked like real quality, it's a shame. One of the creators made a thread here to try to raise awareness but it was locked. :| They haven't updated their blog in months, seems development has ceased.

Station42

Here's one I found that seems like it has great potential to be quite awesome:

Pixel Sand

"Pixel Sand is both a game and a fantasy-physics simulation where you can take tons of different elements and mix them together to make your own ridiculous concoctions. More importantly, Pixel Sand will be shipped with an entire epic single-player and multi-player campaign!"

The game is in the works for Xbox 360, PC, and Windows Phone 7.

this one is very interesting, I hope it gets funded.

Also, congrats to Ciro for UFHO2, well deserved!

Yeah that game looked like real quality, it's a shame. One of the creators made a thread here to try to raise awareness but it was locked. :| They haven't updated their blog in months, seems development has ceased.

So you cant create awareness in NeoGAF for a quickstarter project, or was it locked for another reason?

krYlon

Pixel Sand

"Pixel Sand is both a game and a fantasy-physics simulation where you can take tons of different elements and mix them together to make your own ridiculous concoctions. More importantly, Pixel Sand will be shipped with an entire epic single-player and multi-player campaign!"

Look at the effect the last couple of days have had:

"I've been working on a small game for a while now called Pixel Sand. The project's been up on Kickstarter for about 22 days without much progress, when all of a sudden THIS happened.

PixelSand.png

A number of people who visited Kickstarter to fund the Double Fine Adventure ended up on my (and several other indie developers) pages.

Thank you Tim Schafer, and anyone else whose helped support Pixel Sand (whether directly or indirectly)."

(From the guy making Pixel Sand)

Metallix87

I found a very interesting project: Code Hero, a game that teaches you to code games!

It's an FPS where you shoot code (I think it tries to teach Javascript and Unity) in order to change the world. For example, in this picture:

You'd have to write "hitObject.transform.position.y-=2;" so the platform goes down and you can cross to the other side.

Everyone who pledges (minimum 1$) gets access to the beta, which you can access right now. Looks very promising, and I've always wanted to do something like this myself. Currently people have pledged 7.5k $, but they need 100k $ and only have 12 days to go.

That looks pretty awesome! Will pledge to this tonight.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I found a very interesting project: Code Hero, a game that teaches you to code games!

It's an FPS where you shoot code (I think it tries to teach Javascript and Unity) in order to change the world. For example, in this picture:

You'd have to write "hitObject.transform.position.y-=2;" so the platform goes down and you can cross to the other side.

Everyone who pledges (minimum 1$) gets access to the beta, which you can access right now. Looks very promising, and I've always wanted to do something like this myself. Currently people have pledged 7.5k $, but they need 100k $ and only have 12 days to go.

They won't make it. It's a cool idea, but $100k is not a reasonable or feasible goal based on the scope and background of their project. Why are they asking for $100k? Now they will get nothing. They could have done a lot of work and a lot of good with $7.5k. Did they expect that they had a good chance of hitting $100k?

It's sad when a project doesn't get funded because very few people donate or it doesn't attract interest. Molecat Twist only raised $770. That's sad. It's really too bad.

But that's not the case here. $7.5k is great. That's a resounding success for a project thusfar made by one guy with no pedigree or background. His loss.

They won't make it. It's a cool idea, but $100k is not a reasonable or feasible goal based on the scope and background of their project. Why are they asking for $100k? Now they will get nothing. They could have done a lot of work and a lot of good with $7.5k. Did they expect that they had a good chance of hitting $100k?

It's sad when a project doesn't get funded because very few people donate or it doesn't attract interest. Molecat Twist only raised $770. That's sad. It's really too bad.

But that's not the case here. $7.5k is great. That's a resounding success for a project thusfar made by one guy with no pedigree or background. His loss.

Jesus Christ. In what world does that project need 100 grand to be completed.

CiroContinisio

Neo Member
My stats, if you want to see them:

fEkEe.png

We got the Tim Schafer effect too, although the donations have been kinda steady and on the 8th of february we were at 68%. Then we also had the final two "days effect" of people wanting the project to succeed because it was so close to the goal (this was seen in a very fervent Twitter activity).

I suggested to the creator of Pixel Sand to put a reward level in between 20$ and 100$. I think the gap is big for a small project, where every dollar counts :)

Metallix87

Here's another neat one that has potential:

The Departure

This artist is apparently turning one of his works of art into a game. Looks to be a platformer for iOS devices.

Honestly, I really like his art, and I'd love to see it come to life in game form. He's pretty close to his goal, with plenty of time left, so I'm positive he'll reach his goal fairly soon.

Raide

I wonder how people figure out how much they would need for a project? If you're a solo dev, what can you use the kickstarter money for, new PC? Software?

It certainly sounds interesting for getting a bit of publicity and also getting potential help with a new project.

Once I get to prototype phase, the Kickstart might be a viable idea...well, unless EA/Activision etc jump on it and it gets abused and scare people off. :D

Pixel Sand

Threw three dollars towards this project. It seems like a cool idea.

mclem

I suggested to the creator of Pixel Sand to put a reward level in between 20$ and 100$. I think the gap is big for a small project, where every dollar counts :)

They listened:

Pledge $50 or more
7 Backers

The vehicles pack! Your copy will include the ability to place a Horse, Car, and Helicopter. Each of these objects are designed to carry multiple players at a time; let the questing begin! As an added bonus, ALL future DLC that will ever be released for this game will be free to you! (All of the above)

I may well upgrade.

Chopper

Whatever happened to that awesome looking Zombie Running game, where running in real life earnt you loot and stuff?

Yeah, it's gone deathly silent. I've posted a few messages on their facebook page, but no response. In case it wasn't obvious, when I said "my game of show" I meant the game I liked the most (yes more than all the AAAs) not actually my game. Although I wish it was!

I'll see if I can reach out to them on other channels.

SLV

Hmm, Guns of Icarus Online really reminds me a lot of Project Nomads which i loved to play as a kid, hmm, might bite for the beta access :p
And DONE !

Raide

Salary. At the very least, living expenses.

I guess that is if you plan on doing it full-time over the length of the project. I wonder if you have to set a project length before you start the Kickstarter stuff?

I am miles away from this, since I have not even got a prototype up but it will be interesting to hear from GAFers that used it and managed to get their projects up and running.

sam27368

Banned
Hey guys I'm one of the developers of Molecat Twist.
We're considering relaunching our KS for a total of around $15,000. I tried to post about it on here but got bumped to junior because of it :( all seemed to go down hill from there.
The only way we can do it is if we have the support of the community who will be able to help us plug the game.

We're considering relaunching our KS for a total of around $15,000. I tried to post about it on here but got bumped to junior because of it :( all seemed to go down hill from there.
The only way we can do it is if we have the support of the community who will be able to help us plug the game.

As someone thats starting also a game studio with some people I hope your game have the luck this time to get the kickstarter campaing going and can get the funds, because it really looked amazing.
Good luck!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I hope Pixel Sand makes it. I'm not willing to upgrade my pledge since I don't actually like the genre and if I do play the game I won't want more "characters" or "pixel types" or more level editor functions... but I'd like to see him get his money. It would be very sad if he made it to $7000 out of $9000 and then got nothing, because $7000 would be more than enough to get the project done.

You might want to consider picking a lower total if you can at all set up your development process that you could get it done for less. Last time you pitched for $22k and got $770. If you ask for $15k and get 15 times as much as you got last time, you will make $0 because you will not meet your funding goal. If you ask for $3-5k I suspect you will be able to make it happen.

I mean, I'm not trying to insult you here, I'm just saying that getting $7k or $5k or $3k is better than getting nothing, and if I were pitching a Kickstarter project, I would set my funding goal for the lowest possible number from which I could figure out a way to finish the project, rather than setting it to all the money I need/want.

sam27368

Banned
I hope Pixel Sand makes it. I'm not willing to upgrade my pledge since I don't actually like the genre and if I do play the game I won't want more "characters" or "pixel types" or more level editor functions... but I'd like to see him get his money. It would be very sad if he made it to $7000 out of $9000 and then got nothing, because $7000 would be more than enough to get the project done.

You might want to consider picking a lower total if you can at all set up your development process that you could get it done for less. Last time you pitched for $22k and got $770. If you ask for $15k and get 15 times as much as you got last time, you will make $0 because you will not meet your funding goal. If you ask for $3-5k I suspect you will be able to make it happen.

I mean, I'm not trying to insult you here, I'm just saying that getting $7k or $5k or $3k is better than getting nothing, and if I were pitching a Kickstarter project, I would set my funding goal for the lowest possible number from which I could figure out a way to finish the project, rather than setting it to all the money I need/want.

We're having a team meeting soon but we've bumped it to 10k at the moment. Still not 100% on whether or not we'll launch it. But it's looking positive.

Sam, if you do Kickstarter again and need people to help you try and spread the word (for free), I'm more than willing to help. I fell in love with the game at Eurogamer and really think you have a hit on your hands.

sam27368

Banned
Sam, if you do Kickstarter again and need people to help you try and spread the word (for free), I'm more than willing to help. I fell in love with the game at Eurogamer and really think you have a hit on your hands.

Thanks loads, it really means a lot. I'll post an update as soon as I have one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Found this project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1250854571/on-begley-street?ref=discover_rec

It's to fund a web TV series about Ed Begley Jr. (the actor)'s eco-friendly house.

Why am I posting it in this thread? Because if you pledge $2151, "A limited-edition, special reward for MASS EFFECT players. Raphael Sbarge, the voice of Kaidan Alenko in MASS EFFECT 1, 2, & 3, will record the outgoing message in the voicemail of your choice - PLUS - a video of Raphael recording the message for you along with a signed copy of the game!!! NOTE: You must pledge EXACTLY $2,151 to receive this reward."

LOL

CiroContinisio

Neo Member
Looks like Pixel Sand is going to make it. They're at 8800$ out of 9000$, with 4 days to go. They'll make it.

On a side note, take a look at this board game, Zoneplex:

It has very interesting and new mechanics, and killer art! (one of the pledges is an art print from the two artists. They include Niklas Åkerblad who's an artist I really love!)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tempting. I like the art and theme, but I'm not over the moon when it comes to tile laying and the international shipping is brutal (come on, if you're going to donate to a board game, you should at least donate enough to get the board game). They're 70% funded with 10 days to go, so no real sense of urgency for me to donate. Hrm.

mclem

Looks like Pixel Sand is going to make it. They're at 8800$ out of 9000$, with 4 days to go. They'll make it.

And it's there.

That said, they did have a couple of overfunding goals. The $12k one looks worthwhile, I wonder if they can get that last jump to make it to there.

CiroContinisio

Neo Member
Tempting. I like the art and theme, but I'm not over the moon when it comes to tile laying and the international shipping is brutal (come on, if you're going to donate to a board game, you should at least donate enough to get the board game). They're 70% funded with 10 days to go, so no real sense of urgency for me to donate. Hrm.

Well I see..., I may go for the art piece from Åkerblad to show support, love that guy's art.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone find anything else? :)

I'm backing this board game which reminds me a lot of "Bohnanza"

Trip has already been mentioned, but looks great

Non-gaming:
Pretty cool 3D clock with great visual design

This furniture for kids seems pretty neat

Obos are like Mr. Potato Head for grown ups or for your office, great character designs, cheap, and eco-friendly

Ed Begley Jr. is doing a TV show about his house, which is super green. He's a pretty friendly guy and he's always come off great the times I've seen him interviewed, so I look forward to the result

This documentary is pretty neat, but it's 98% funded with 8 hours left--what a nailbiter. It raises the question; can you donate to your own project? It would really suck to set a $36k goal and top out at $35.5. It's pretty clear even a starving artist can scratch up $500 to get 2% of their funding

Another interesting documentary about HIV/AIDS in African-Americans in America, 98% funded with 22 hours left. They need another $115. If they don't hit 100% tomorrow, I'll fund the other $115.

Controllable USB backlighting strip for keyboards, monitors, etc. I think their price is a little bit high, but it's neat.

Frank is a really cool looking wall hook. Reasonable price, great industrial design.

Children's bibs themed after Aesop's Fables. I don't have a kid, but I like the designs.

Magical soap bars that solve the problem of when you start to run out of soap and you have the little chunk left so you start a new bar but then after a few months you have a bunch of little chunks left and it's super annoying to use them. I wish someone would figure out a way to do this with blocks of cheese.

This mesh shower cap thing that you rinse under water for a few seconds and then rub on your head to make your hair wet so you can style it. Great pricing, good demo video.

Educational card game designed to teach kids about heroes. I like the example cards, which include Alan Turing (founder of computer science) and Fred Korematsu (American who sued to challenge the Japanese-American interment camps in WW2). They're unorthodox choices. Would be great if you were an elementary school teacher.

DaBuddaDa

I think this is a great project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rupa211/rock-vibe-accessible-gaming?ref=live

Rock Vibe, a Rock Band/Guitar Hero system designed for blind gamers that uses tactile feedback gloves to signal when to hit a key. Really cool concept for people who otherwise can't really play videogames.

How will the money be used?
Kickstarter funds will be used to purchase new tools and components, finish developing the wearable, make Rock Vibe a 2-player game, pay Kickstarter and Amazon payment fees (8-10%), manufacture custom PCBs, travel with the game to game testing sites, fulfill Kickstarter rewards, and give away several Rock Vibes to organizations that work with blind children. Additionally, funds will be used to develop a talking user interface, so gamers who are blind can navigate the screen without a screen reader.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think this is a great project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rupa211/rock-vibe-accessible-gaming?ref=live

Rock Vibe, a Rock Band/Guitar Hero system designed for blind gamers that uses tactile feedback gloves to signal when to hit a key. Really cool concept for people who otherwise can't really play videogames.

I'm not sure this will work in the end, but it's very admirable and an excellent first stab at this kind of thing. Seems like they'll make their funding goal, which is great!

abrack08

As someone trying to learn how to code right now, I think this is cool. I'm glad they met their goal. I'm undecided if I'm going to donate or not though... It's a cool idea, I'm just now sure how well you can really LEARN how to code this way. It doesn't seem like it will be as effective as a good book/teacher/class.

Top Bottom