• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

S1kkZ

i like the game, but man some things annoy me:

- framerate (starting in season 2) can get really bad. the devs need to fix this, since it does affect the gameplay.

- blueprints are mostly useless (to me), which is a shame: if you die and start from scratch, you cant afford the good blueprints or the shop doenst have anything usefull / if you have enough salvage, you probably already picked up some good upgrades along the way / blueprints in the shops are random, which means that super usefull blueprint you just collected might not even show up the next few times you visit the shop. there should be something else that carries over and rewards you for sticking with the game.

- the levels all feel/look the same so far.

Kamina777

Banned
i like the game, but man some things annoy me:

- framerate (starting in season 2) can get really bad. the devs need to fix this, since it does affect the gameplay.

- blueprints are mostly useless (to me), which is a shame: if you die and start from scratch, you cant afford the good blueprints or the shop doenst have anything usefull / if you have enough salvage, you probably already picked up some good upgrades along the way / blueprints in the shops are random, which means that super usefull blueprint you just collected might not even show up the next few times you visit the shop. there should be something else that carries over and rewards you for sticking with the game.

- the levels all feel/look the same so far.
I think i'll skip this game, I was expecting incremental improvement and progress for your character even if you die, like rogue legacy, heck even a binding of isaac type system would have been fine, but this just sounds punishing with minimal gains.

Bleep

I beat season 4, it was intense but not crazily difficult or anything. I tend to play games very cautiously, so if I wasn't comfortable fighting enemies in particular places I would kite them to a large room or somewhere with obstacles for me to use to my advantage. I did have a crazy moment in 4-4 where there was a massive swarm of all the most threatening non-boss enemies, but I had enough speed upgrades to circle strafe them to death without issue. I ended up beating 4-5 with 6 health and 3 shields.

I really think this game needs a score/leaderboard system to keep player interest. After clearing seasons there is no reason to return to them. I'm probably not going to touch this game again until either season 5 is released or there are patches that fix the performance issues. I want to dig further into the gameplay, but there is nothing pushing me to do so at the moment. If 17-Bit are ever able to put a daily challenge system into this game I would probably play it every day for several months.

I think i'll skip this game, I was expecting incremental improvement and progress for your character even if you die, like rogue legacy, heck even a binding of isaac type system would have been fine, but this just sounds punishing with minimal gains.

Rogue Legacy is very much not the norm for roguelike inspired games. I would like the game far less if they had an persistent upgrade system, I find that design decision to be incredibly poor for this kind of game. Enjoying the mechanics is what I like about this genre, I don't need progression to make me feel like I have earned anything. The fun I have playing the game is my reward.

Man, I love this game. I think it's almost ridiculously cheap for the kind of experience it provides.

The only missing thing I would have REALLY liked is the ability to change the colors of the ship and maybe make other visual customizations.

Maybe put new colors in blueprint boxes or add a new type of box altogether.

Pretty please 17-Bit?

methane47

I just finished 1-4. I was pretty suprised when I finished 1-2 and realized health doesn't reset after the mission. I've beaten the last two missions with 1 health. Kinda worried for 1-5

Lemnisc8

Just got to 3-5 straight through without a death and then got a blue screen crash.

Season 3 progress wiped. Yikes.

Despite the flaws already mentioned this really is a great game. I think the difficulty is directly tied to if you "get" the controls or not.

I fear for people having trouble clearing season one... the ramp up (that I REALLY ENJOYED) might be to much for some.

Other than the frame rate issues and gameplay halting crashes, the audio is the games weakest area in terms of quality (only in my opinion, of course). For example, when you meet Crash, the recording quality is poor with obvious plosives which I noticed straight away. Ironic for a game where your shields can pop and their pop shield was either badly recorded, or missing :D

I found the music to fit the theme of the game but felt it lacked variety. I hate to say it, as I really respect the composer, but it sounds like someone sat in front of Ableton for a day and loaded a bunch of arp patches, layered some themes for normal and combat scenarios, and said "done" after programming a mellow beat. It fits the game absolutely and it DOES sound great, but there's far too much repetition and not enough thought into the variety for my taste. Further dynamic layers of music would really help pump up the adrenaline, and could be defined by the number of enemies around.

I really dig the SFX in the game though, and imagine that there are design or cost factors in play with regards to my criticisms which I would totally understand.

I'm sorry to focus on the audio so much but it's where my own experience lies so audio in games tends to get a lot of my attention. :)

This game BADLY needs and endless/arena mode, which I BEG 17-bit to consider!

Although I spent much of this post pointing out it's flaws, this game is simply AMAZING. Tight controls, smart enimies and procedural generation make for a bit of replayibility - I just wish there were more tilesets and some infinite survival modes.

The game's combat and multiple approaches to procedurally generated scenarios is by far it's strongest point. Making those perfect boots and moves while being outnumbered and outgunned make for incredibly satisfying kills, and there are so many tactics you can use. Basically, the combat feels great to me, and with tons of variety if you dare. I personally find the difficulty just right, but as I said I think this will depend on the user's the ability to master the controls.

Congrats on an excellent game 17-bit, I really hope it is a commercial success for you guys, because other than it's blemishes, this game oozes quality.

SerTapTap

Yeah, season 4 is legit hard. Glad I waited to beat it before reviewing. The difficulty ramp is pretty sharp, each season significantly harder than the last, with only the boss stage serving as a sort of bridge between difficulties.

I've found you can briefly stun-lock enemies by charge-saber bashing them against walls. Works a couple times, then they stop being stunned. They take damage and get stunned when hit against a nearby wall with enough force.

BTW, open the menu and press R1 to see the database with some minor lore for the enemy types, nothing huge but I love touches like that.

I feel like the mech is more consistently useful than the ship. When the ship has assault/precision muzzle, double or pellet shape, autofire pattern and any element/special, the ship feels great. But with no upgrades the mech can handle most situations. Burst fire/wide shot are way too slow for me, and the default shot is pretty lame.

I've noticed playing "stealth" is more important in later seasons too. Getting the drop on a group with a mech feels great and starts you at an advantage.

Edit: Game crashed as I started 4-5. All progress in season 4 lost. Sigh. Also, I had a clipping bug in a 90 degree corner, the raider shotgun ships slammed me through it somehow. I managed to get out though.

So, umm...... I just fired up the game after having not played yesterday, and my season progress is now gone. I was on 3-4 and haven't played since Thursday, and I turn on the game to find this.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
THIS GAME IS 2HARD4ME :(

I can't beat season one. I love the game, but I keep fucking up. I'M TRYING SO HARD. Gahhhh this is worse than any Souls game so far.

BigDug13

I can't beat season one. I love the game, but I keep fucking up. I'M TRYING SO HARD. Gahhhh this is worse than any Souls game so far.

Learn the strafe button to get through late season 1. Use the boost while holding strafe and you will boost a faster strafe speed. You can circle strafe everything in season 1 when learned.

Season one is fine, wait till you get to season two and beyond. I really don't like the mech for some reason. Was really digging the ship but now with the mech I'm just not feeling it anymore :(

Unlocking blueprints is pretty important for later parts, as levels become more difficult and there is better (if random) selection of in-store items.

Season one is fine, wait till you get to season two and beyond. I really don't like the mech for some reason. Was really digging the ship but now with the mech I'm just not feeling it anymore :(

The mech gives you many more options to deal with enemies, specially in riders levels.

Lemnisc8

Season 2-5 spoiler in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnuHVmm_xY4

I was so happy to be victorious, then.....

(._. )

That nearly happened to me. Found that boss to be a jerk, that double combo is nasty.

I believe someone mentioned you can
unplug the turrets with the mech grapple (not the turrets themselves but they have little things powering them) and throw the electric plugs at him to kill his shields.

Ah, here it is (2-5 boss spoiler)

The boss is a pain, work on disabling the guns ASAP, toss the plugs into the boss (the shock brings down his shield), and keep your goddamn distance. Do not use robot mode more than you need to remove the plugs. The asshole can hit you twice in a row if he gets close so just play it extremely safe and stay at the opposite side of the room at all times. Dash away and to the side if he's charging you, he dashes straight.

Use every last missile on him immediately, you lose them at the end of the season anyway. I think you only have to wait for two lock ons each volley.

Also be insanely careful not to lose health before that boss. If it gets a single hit it's very likely it's going to hit twice and thus deal hull damage.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
One option for people is to do a run through season one and then cashing in the crash coins when you start a later season so you can buy some upgrades and have spare cash right away.

One option for people is to do a run through season one and then cashing in the crash coins when you start a later season so you can buy some upgrades and have spare cash right away.

That's a good point cause you don't have to jump straight to season 2 right? You can just cash the coins in another season if you've unlocked it

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

Learn the strafe button to get through late season 1. Use the boost while holding strafe and you will boost a faster strafe speed. You can circle strafe everything in season 1 when learned.

Oh christ. I don't know if I am physically capable of being good at this game.

Ashtar

Fuck this game, I'm on vacation and of course I bring my ps4 with me and while I'm there I'm playing and I play galak z but I chance hotels take my ps4 but not my power cord and hdmi cable so now I'm stuck here with no way to play my ps4 and when I go home my next power cord won't be there and this bootleg hotel won't let me talk with house keeping to see if they stole my stuff!

Kamina777

Banned
Rogue Legacy is very much not the norm for roguelike inspired games. I would like the game far less if they had an persistent upgrade system, I find that design decision to be incredibly poor for this kind of game. Enjoying the mechanics is what I like about this genre, I don't need progression to make me feel like I have earned anything. The fun I have playing the game is my reward.
Who said anything about rogue like inspired games? One of the earlier selling points was you would get more powerful even after death but the way it was implemented doesn't suit me at all, it's a hardcore game plain and simple, you die? Well fuck you. You got fuck all to show for it, try again champ.

I'll pass, I'm not that elite.

Zocano

Ever since I mentioned the star fox planet implementation, I'm sad that that isn't what we got. Basically spelunky but imagine getting into different "zones". Basically I want everything to be spelunky because spelunky is perfect.

Oh, and it's one life through the whole thing.

I just bring it up again because the combat is so damn good that the macro level design just doesn't support it as much as I want it to.

Grimsen

Who said anything about rogue like inspired games? One of the earlier selling points was you would get more powerful even after death but the way it was implemented doesn't suit me at all, it's a hardcore game plain and simple, you die? Well fuck you. You got fuck all to show for it, try again champ.

I'll pass, I'm not that elite.

That's not true, though. You can buy unlocked gear from the start of a chapter with crash coins.

Tohsaka

Finished season 4, the last boss was surprisingly easy. I just stayed off-screen as much as possible while firing and shooting missiles at him and rarely got hit. If the framerate were better I might've tried to get in closer, but I didn't want to risk it.

antitrop

So, umm...... I just fired up the game after having not played yesterday, and my season progress is now gone. I was on 3-4 and haven't played since Thursday, and I turn on the game to find this.

That's because the game resets your mid-Season progress when you close it. Use Suspend/Resume or just only turn the game off after you die or finish a Season.

sagat2036

patch 1.03 patch notes from 17bit forum:

Here are the build improvements you'll find in Patch 1.03 which just went live for SCEA / the Americas. Thanks for all of your continued feedback and support! :D

-=Performance / Stability=-
+ Performance improvements to missiles, explosions and most enemy units
+ Potential fix for corrupted save data when a crash occurs after completing a level
+ Potential fix for periodic hitching

-=Audio=-
+ Reduced frequency of combat barks
+ Add SFX Volume slider
+ Various fixes for audio being cut short and repeating or misplaced dialogue

-=Gameplay=-
+ Potential fix for grapple issues with Mech
+ Potential fix for White Tusk never dying
+ Increase transform speed by 50% and queue up input during transformation
+ Fix issues with pickups disappearing or being unobtainable
+ Add confirmation prompt when starting a new Season if resume data exists
+ Fix Reaper mission being unfinishable when in Recovery mode
+ Fix 'Can't Touch This' trophy being awarded incorrectly

-=Visuals=-
+ Fix z-fighting on space junk
+ Add missing movie subtitles

That's because the game resets your mid-Season progress when you close it. Use Suspend/Resume or just only turn the game off after you die or finish a Season.

Not possible. I never had that issue before. I could stop mid-season and still pick it up just fine when I turn the game back on. It's not like I'm quitting in the middle of a mission.

nib95

Banned
What the fuck. So I finally got some time to play the game today, get to S2-5, stop for a cup of tea, backing out to the title screen only from home base, and now I've gone back in to finish the boss and it won't let me resume. The only option it gives me is to start the season all over again...Honestly, I barely get much time to play so this has really fucked me off. Took my sweet ass time and had awesome gear etc to finish the boss and all.

Never had this issue before, and have always been able to resume episodes even after shutting off. Chances of me completing a season in one play session are slim at the moment, so this better not be an issue season/episode wide.

What the fuck. So I finally got some time to play the game today, get to S2-5, stop for a cup of tea, backing out to the title screen only from home base, and now I've gone back in to finish the boss and it won't let me resume. The only option it gives me is to start the season all over again...Honestly, I barely get much time to play so this has really fucked me off.

This is the exact thing that happened to me today. I stopped in the middle of Season 3 the other day, and when I booted the game up today, I couldn't resume. It sure as shit didn't do that to me before.

nib95

Banned
This is the exact thing that happened to me today. I stopped in the middle of Season 3 the other day, and when I booted the game up today, I couldn't resume. It sure as shit didn't do that to me before.

Maybe the developer or other GAFers can chime in, because if there's a glitch with resumes no longer working, I'm quitting till they sort it.

jkooXL

Our Week 1 patch is live! Really thankful Sony was able to get it live so quickly! Quick list of patch details

Here are the build improvements you'll find in Patch 1.03 which just went live for SCEA / the Americas. Thanks for all of your continued feedback and support! :D

+ Potential fix for corrupted save data when a crash occurs after completing a level

-=Audio=-
+ Add SFX Volume slider

-=Gameplay=-

-=Visuals=-

We will continue to address performance, framerate, and weird edge case bugs, if something strange happens to you please post as many details as you can on our forum at

http://community.galak-z.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=898090dd6647041e90743914b3fc0980

A game this dynamically generated is hard to test every corner, the more details you can provide the more clues we can stitch together to track the remaining issues down and continue to polish this game! Thank you all so much for your support!

nib95

Banned
Our Week 1 patch is live! Really thankful Sony was able to get it live so quickly! Quick list of patch details

-=Audio=-
+ Add SFX Volume slider

-=Gameplay=-

-=Visuals=-

We will continue to address performance, framerate, and weird edge case bugs, if something strange happens to you please post as many details as you can on our forum at

http://community.galak-z.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=898090dd6647041e90743914b3fc0980

A game this dynamically generated is hard to test every corner, the more details you can provide the more clues we can stitch together to track the remaining issues down and continue to polish this game! Thank you all so much for your support!

Sounds great. Will this fix resume season save glitches? As in not ones that are a result of crashes, but just re-starting from where you last left off.

I still have a save where I left the base at S2-5, even says as much on the save file name, but for some reason it won't give me a resume option when loaded.

jkooXL

We haven't been able to reproduce the save glitch but I think we're narrowing in on it. Like I said, we will continue to do our best to address these issues!

That is so crazy to me you were able to get a patch done and live this quick. Such a bummer the team can't kind of just chill out since the game released, but I get it.

I love this game so much. Even bought that dope shirt floating around online.

nib95

Banned
No patch here in the UK yet. Will report on whether my resume is working or not after the patch is live. Aside from this annoying glitch, I must say I'm also loving the game. It really is a space battle opera, and it's addictive bettering skills and techniques. I'm still early on though, bit nervous to see how hard it gets later on in the game lol.

JoeFenix

Is the Final Boss trophy fixed with this update? It doesn't seem like it judging from the patch notes but it sounded like the fix was going to be introduced in this update so hopefully it unlocks properly now.

barit

I wish 17-Bit would add a second alternative control scheme to the game. I can't really dig the 360 Degree aiming type like in Luftreuser because if too much stuff happens I always get lost with aiming. I think I would prefer a left and right steering type where you controll the ship instead of the crosshairs. Maybe I just need more practice tho

Edit: Apparently I was wrong. First it's called Luftrausers and second it has not the same control scheme as Galak-Z. You steering with left and right and accelerate with pressing up. Sorry for the missinformation

Tunavi

Banned
I like this game more every time I play.

It's so tough, but so satisfying. I love the mech on mech battles. the combat actually pretty complex, I love it.

God damn.

Tunavi

Banned
I wish 17-Bit would add a second alternative control scheme to the game. I can't really dig the 360 Degree aiming type like in Luftreuser because if too much stuff happens I always get lost with aiming. I think I would prefer a left and right steering type where you controll the ship instead of the crosshairs. Maybe I just need more practice tho
Theres a huuuge learning curve to it. It's a pretty tough control system. But you'll get it. I'm still getting it.

-=Audio=-
+ Add SFX Volume slider

-=Gameplay=-

-=Visuals=-

Great stuff. When will the patch go live for Europe?

Top Bottom