• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy UNPACKED 2017 [Galaxy S8 Official Presentation - 11AM EDT - 17:00 CET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
galaxy-s8-leak-840x26ljurw.png

Where to watch:

Official Site.

Facebook.

Unpacked App.

YouTube.

Happening soon, I guess some people will be interested.

Some key features:

Hello Bixby – View frequently updated content, such as the weather, reminders, and alarms, in one place. Hello Bixby analyses your usage patterns and provides suggested information, apps, and functions based on your routine.

Bixby Vision (image search) – Bixby Vision is an image search feature that lets you search for relevant information conveniently. Activate Bixby Vision and scan objects or locations with the camera to search for products online or nearby places. You can also translate detected text.

Bixby (intelligent voice assistant) – Bixby is an intelligent voice assistant that helps you use the device more conveniently. Press the Bixby key or say ”Bixby." Bixby will respond to you. Start a conversation by talking or typing. Bixby will launch a function you request or show the information you want.

Iris recognition – The iris recognition feature uses the unique characteristics of your irises, such as their shape and patten, to strengthen the security of your device. You can use your iris data to quickly unlock your screen, verify your Samsung account, and sign into webpages and more.

Face recognition – Unlock the screen using facial recognition instead of drawing a pattern or entering a PIN or password.

Samsung DeX – Samsung DeX is a service that allows you to use your smartphone like a computer by connecting a smartphone to an external display, such as a TV monitor. You can your smartphone's features on a large screen conveniently by connecting an external display, keyboard, and mouse.

Bluetooth Dual audio – Stream audio from one smartphone to up to two Bluetooth headsets or speakers simultaneously. You can adjust the volume levels for each device independently, allowing users to listen comfortably.

More here: http://phandroid.com/2017/03/28/samsung-galaxy-s8-key-features/

t1490799600z1.png

I've been seeing a lot of ads telling us about how awesome Samsung's quality control testing is lately, hilarious.

I do wonder what the impact will be if any from the Note 7 fiasco.

diaspora

I'm surprised at how well my S6 has served me so far over the past couple of years- hasn't even gotten the slowdown that people claim happens. Hopefully there'll be a way to disable that assistant nonsense.

pitchfork

S6 edge has served me well the past 2 years. Eligible for an upgrade on my contract from next week. UK price has my wallet in fear though

Li Kao

Ok IOS user here, I know next to nothing about the Android OS and its phones, but due to a general lack of interest in Apple ecosystem and prices, I'm really eyeing this new phone (or its predecessor if the price is too high).

A question though. I often hear complaint about Samsung, among others, slowness to update the OS as new versions of Android are released. I hear bad things about Samsung own UI too.
Is there a way to get rid of the manufacturer bloat and get a pure Android OS, that you could update at will when a new version comes out and that wouldn't have the manufacturer's UI ?

This question is surely hugely stupid, sorry for the newbiness.

RoKKeR

S7 Edge still trucking along nicely thanks to the N update a few weeks back, but will definitely be following this one. Looks great already.

I wonder if the camera will incorporate any sort of optical zoom... that's the thing about the 7 Plus's camera that puts everything else on the market to shame. I suppose you can only do that with a dual camera setup, though.

I'm surprised at how well my S6 has served me so far over the past couple of years- hasn't even gotten the slowdown that people claim happens. Hopefully there'll be a way to disable that assistant nonsense.

Mine's been holding up really well also, but I have had some slowdown issues crop up here and there. It definitely tends to occur as storage space fills up more, but I think quite a bit of my issues have also been from some of the other Google services at certain points in time as well as the slowdown came with increased battery drain from those areas.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they have to show with the S8 though, my upgrade eligibility has me itching for something new.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ok IOS user here, I know next to nothing about the Android OS and its phones, but due to a general lack of interest in Apple ecosystem and prices, I'm really eyeing this new phone (or its predecessor if the price is too high).

A question though. I often hear complaint about Samsung, among others, slowness to update the OS as new versions of Android are released. I hear bad things about Samsung own UI too.
Is there a way to get rid of the manufacturer bloat and get a pure Android OS, that you could update at will when a new version comes out and that wouldn't have the manufacturer's UI ?

This question is surely hugely stupid, sorry for the newbiness.

S8 isn't gonna be cheaper. Expect the S8 and the S8 Plus to be right around that iPhone 7 and 7 Plus pricing.

I am really hyped for this phone, but if the price is actually $100 higher than s7 edge I'm not sure if that's going to be worth the differences.

Not getting one, but I am excited to finally see it even though we have seen leaks for months. I will get to hold one though since my sister will get one.

The Bixby reminds me of Andre 3000's Benjamin Bixby clothing line that never came to fruition :( Nevertheless, I'm interested to see what the S8 is all about.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bixby will be a total flip, won't it?

Im excited for this phone, will definitely pick up to replace my S7 when it comes out.

It requires a Samsung account so duh! That said, still interesting to see and who would have thought that there'll be two new digital assistants this year (counting Andy Rubin's thingie)

Bixby is a terrible name for it, but nonetheless interested. Pixel has become heavy competition to them in the Android space, so hopefully this pushes them.

Li Kao

Having already played with it, it is a truly awesome device. samsung just nails down on innovation.

What's the big deal with this phone ? I mean I'm clearly interested enough to follow the unveiling but the leaks make it look like a better 7. What am I missing ? Honest question.

Mindwipe

Bixby will be a total flip, won't it?

Im excited for this phone, will definitely pick up to replace my S7 when it comes out.

I'm not at all convinced about it from an assistant point of view, but I do believe it might be less junky than Google's voice commands for basic functions with OK Google/headset buttons.

They're amazingly janky, unreliable and with badly designed permissions compared to Siri, and get inadvertently disabled literally all the fucking time by Google app updates. So I might use Bixby just to play music if nothing else.

Aesthet1c

I'm stoked for this, but also in the camp of not paying $800 for a phone.

If they announce it at that or higher I'm probably out until some kind of price drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom