• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy UNPACKED 2017 [Galaxy S8 Official Presentation - 11AM EDT - 17:00 CET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthet1c

I don't think he mentions resolution either. I'm curious about the Snapdragon. Also, is a wireless charging dock worth it for anybody that has one?

I also really want the VR as well.

Wireless charging docks are like the best thing ever. It doesn't sound that useful, but just being able to set my phone on my nightstand instead of digging around for my cable feels awesome and is super convenient.

Izayoi

Banned
Thanks. I was hoping for a little better, but it's still not bad.
I mean, that's a pretty ridiculous workload and it still lasted for over 6 hours with at 100% brightness. My S7 would've died halfway through that test.

Absolutely insane battery life, I'm so stoked.

Ultryx

I mean, that's a pretty ridiculous workload and it still lasted for over 6 hours with at 100% brightness. My S7 would've died halfway through that test.

Absolutely insane battery life, I'm so stoked.

Oh, since I wasn't able to watch the video I wasn't aware it was 100% brightness. That is pretty darn good IMO then. I'm very excited to get my S8+ and even more excited to make the jump back to Android after years of being away!

Oh, since I wasn't able to watch the video I wasn't aware it was 100% brightness. That is pretty darn good IMO then. I'm very excited to get my S8+ and even more excited to make the jump back to Android after years of being away!

Same here. I'm coming from a 6s+. My work phone is a 5s. I'm not really invested in the Apple ecosystem, so it won't be a bad jump. I've already uploaded all my photos to Google Photos.

I'm still debating on a case. I guess I'll settle for the Spigen Neo Hybrid

Ultryx

Same here. I'm coming from a 6s+. My work phone is a 5s. I'm not really invested in the Apple ecosystem, so it won't be a bad jump. I've already uploaded all my photos to Google Photos.

I'm still debating on a case. I guess I'll settle for the Spigen Neo Hybrid

I don't own any Apple products outside of my iPhone and I have zero intentions of getting a Mac. I've been using Google Drive for a couple years now, so I'm set on that front for my media and documents.

I spent a good amount of time debating what case I wanted also. So I ordered like 5 different ones to try and see what I like. I'm not sure how they'll look in person having that Infinity Display locked into a case. I do want to protect my device though. I wish Samsung offered a protection plan more similar to Apple Care.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
bought the phone outright for AT&T from Samsung. Gonna try to get it unlocked asap since it's not on contract.
Thanks for posting this – I actually didn't even think to order directly from Samsung. Since I'm on T-Mobile prepaid I was just going to show up at the store on Friday (they aren't accepting preorders for prepaid customers), but this is easier.

Did you choose "one-click activation"? They don't even specify what that means.

Here's a ten minute video of a guy using Samsung Dex and comparing to Microsoft Continuum.

It's in Russian so I have no idea what he's saying, but it's clear to see the key points:

- Dex is nice and smooth. Doesnt seem laggy at all.

- Continuum can only run one app full screen, where Dex can reshape apps to any size and run multiple at a time.

- App support for Dex is going to be ridiculously OP compared to Continuum.

- For what a lot of office based people use a computer for, Dex COULD actually be a worthy substitute in certain times and places.

I would happily take this with me to a hotel room and just plug it into their flat screen to complete paperwork/watch a movie/surf the net on a big screen.

I was so excited for Continuum ever since Windows RT showed up, but the Windows mobile system on the whole is just not good enough. Or never got good enough. Dex is what I was waiting for Continuum to provide.

It's funny because Ive always put down android as a desktop OS. I'll scoff at a Chromebook. Would never buy one. Yet when I look at Dex, it looks like a really nice thing to use. Maybe it's something to do with Samsung's deliberate efforts to make it look very Windows 10.

Anyway, can't wait!

Sanjuro

I feel like Dex is like a cherry on top much like the free VR. I anticipate checking it out a few times, but never using it regularly.

Here's a ten minute video of a guy using Samsung Dex and comparing to Microsoft Continuum.

It's in Russian so I have no idea what he's saying, but it's clear to see the key points:

- Dex is nice and smooth. Doesnt seem laggy at all.

- Continuum can only run one app full screen, where Dex can reshape apps to any size and run multiple at a time.

- App support for Dex is going to be ridiculously OP compared to Continuum.

- For what a lot of office based people use a computer for, Dex COULD actually be a worthy substitute in certain times and places.

I would happily take this with me to a hotel room and just plug it into their flat screen to complete paperwork/watch a movie/surf the net on a big screen.

I was so excited for Continuum ever since Windows RT showed up, but the Windows mobile system on the whole is just not good enough. Or never got good enough. Dex is what I was waiting for Continuum to provide.

It's funny because Ive always put down android as a desktop OS. I'll scoff at a Chromebook. Would never buy one. Yet when I look at Dex, it looks like a really nice thing to use. Maybe it's something to do with Samsung's deliberate efforts to make it look very Windows 10.

Anyway, can't wait!

Cool stuff. Also, that's not Russian....

My only problem with Dex is that it's $150 for a simple 'dumb' dock. Likely cost peanuts to manufacture and there's no use for it if you're at home or anywhere other than your office. If this concept matures, I hope there's a wireless screen mirroring application or voice assistant built in, or something.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Rogers called and said my phones were in and that I could get them today :)

Then he called back and said Rogers was having issues setting up the phones on their network and I might not be able to get them until later today or tomorrow :(

Still better than having to wait until Friday I guess.

I got the Verizon shipping confirmation, with a note that delivery will be held until Thursday. That works for me. I just need to refresh my memory on what I can do for an indirect FedEx signature. I think I can just sign a piece of paper and tape it to the door if I remember right.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Aren't those performance based off your phone? Like it's literally just switching the phone to a phone OS mode and sending that image to your car.

A newer iPhone would probably fix your performance issues.

I had no issues using Android auto on a rental with a one plus 3 last year. I bet s8 will run well too.
It's more complex than that. There's a UI layer, an audio I/o layer, the display you mentioned and app method and support. And carplay is notoriously buggy - apps hanging, losing playlists, getting stuck in loops, USB connection failure, Bluetooth interference et etc. and that's if you ignore your vehicle's half of the equation.

I got the Verizon shipping confirmation, with a note that delivery will be held until Thursday. That works for me. I just need to refresh my memory on what I can do for an indirect FedEx signature. I think I can just sign a piece of paper and tape it to the door if I remember right.

Still haven't received mine :(

Aesthet1c

best wireless qi charging station?? Preferably low price :p

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0IL0QX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_VNo9ybBFGFW1R

This is the one I have and I love it. It doesn't come with a wall plug, but I just use the one that came with my phone.

I have another older wireless charger that I have to position my phone on just right to get it to charge. The Seneo has connected every single time and never had any issues. It's also less than half the price of the official Samsung one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0IL0QX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_VNo9ybBFGFW1R

This is the one I have and I love it. It doesn't come with a wall plug, but I just use the one that came with my phone.

I have another older wireless charger that I have to position my phone on just right to get it to charge. The Seneo has connected every single time and never had any issues. It's also less than half the price of the official Samsung one.

Thank you! i seen some refurb samsung fast charge docks but i wasnt too sure. going to add this to my cart! Thanks again!

- now i come to another Dilemma. do cases cause an issue with the charge? do i need to remove the case each time?

Aesthet1c

Thank you! i seen some refurb samsung fast charge docks but i wasnt too sure. going to add this to my cart! Thanks again!

- now i come to another Dilemma. do cases cause an issue with the charge? do i need to remove the case each time?

It probably depends on the thickness of your case. I had a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case which is relatively thin and never had any issues charging with the case on.

Although if you buy those Otterbox monstrosities you may run into problems.

It probably depends on the thickness of your case. I had a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case which is relatively thin and never had any issues charging with the case on.

Although if you buy those Otterbox monstrosities you may run into problems.

Okay cool. You just detailed the exact case i've been looking at. I have a Spigen case for my S7 atm and i like their quality.

edit:
Literally just bought two of these last night.

Cheaper than dirt, and will look great on our nightstands.

Those are really nice. though, it says you need an adapter for the s6/s7 - so i assume the same thing will apply for a s8?

I've never had an issue with using a case with a wireless charger before, but mine are typically pretty slim... Just a silicon sleeve.

Ah, right. Okay. just making sure. i never had one and i didnt know how far the tech has went yet. :)

Sanjuro

I'm sure there will be a workaround at some point. I really don't even know what I would want to map to that button.

If it had fingerprint scanner though...🤔

Izayoi

Banned
Those are really nice. though, it says you need an adapter for the s6/s7 - so i assume the same thing will apply for a s8?
You will need a fast charging brick. Doesn't matter if it's Samsung or not (I'm using our old S7 chargers for these), as long as it is compliant with the most recent fast charging standards.

It doesn't look like it, but do those emit any light?
They have a VERY faint LED, according the reviews. Appropriate for nighttime use in the bedroom.

Doesn't surprise me. Samsung is pushing Bixby hard and if they just let everyone remap that to google then Bixby would be DOA.

Yeah, it seems like they really wanna push Bixby. So long as they stay committed to it then, I don't mind. Grow it into something robust and great. Just don't bail on it after forcing a dedicated button for it on us.

Tekniqs

Thanks for posting this – I actually didn't even think to order directly from Samsung. Since I'm on T-Mobile prepaid I was just going to show up at the store on Friday (they aren't accepting preorders for prepaid customers), but this is easier.

Did you choose "one-click activation"? They don't even specify what that means.

I didn't have that option when buying from Samsung. It simply asked for what carrier. I did this before with the iphone 6. got the phone and simply popped my current sim card in to the new phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom