• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gallup: In US, More Adults Identifying as LGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/201731/l...ial Issues&g_medium=newsfeed&g_campaign=tiles

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The portion of American adults identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) increased to 4.1% in 2016 from 3.5% in 2012. These figures, drawn from the largest representative sample of LGBT Americans collected in the U.S., imply that more than an estimated 10 million adults now identify as LGBT in the U.S. today, approximately 1.75 million more compared with 2012.

This is mostly driven by young people.

Millennials, defined here as those born between 1980 and 1998, drive virtually all of the increases observed in overall LGBT self-identification. The portion of that generation identifying as LGBT increased from 5.8% in 2012 to 7.3% in 2016. LGBT identification remained relatively stable over the five-year period at 3.2% among Generation X and declined slightly from 2.7% to 2.4% among baby boomers and from 1.8% to 1.4% among traditionalists.

Millennials are more than twice as likely as any other generation to identify as LGBT. In 2012, they accounted for 43% of LGBT-identified adults. As a result of their disproportionate increases in identification since then, they now account for 58%. Millennials comprise 32% of the general adult population.

LGBT identification increases are more pronounced in women than in men. In 2012, 3.5% of women identified as LGBT, comparable to the 3.4% of men. By 2016, LGBT identification in women increased to 4.4% compared with 3.7% among men. These changes mean that the portion of women among LGBT-identified adults rose slightly from 52% to 55%.

Among racial and ethnic minorities, the largest increases since 2012 in LGBT identification occurred among Asians (3.5% to 4.9%) and Hispanics (4.3% to 5.4%). Among whites, the comparable figures are 3.2% to 3.6%. Black Americans showed only a slight increase from 4.4% to 4.6%, and among "other" racial and ethnic groups, the increase was from 6.0% to 6.3%.

The relatively larger increases in LGBT identification among racial and ethnic groups other than white, non-Hispanics mean that these racial and ethnic minorities now account for 40% of LGBT-identified adults compared with 33% in 2012. In the general population, 33% of adults identify their race or ethnicity as other than white, non-Hispanic, an increase from 28% in 2012.

In 2012, the portion of LGBT adults varied by educational attainment, ranging from 2.9% among college graduates to 3.8% among those who had some college education. By 2016, there was virtually no variation by education, with 3.9% of those with a postgraduate degree identifying as LGBT along with 4.1% of all other educational groups.

The proportion of highly or moderately religious adults who identified as LGBT remained virtually the same between 2012 and 2016, but increased from 5.3% to 7.0% among those who are not religious. As a result, nonreligious adults are now more than three times more likely to identify as LGBT than those who are highly religious.

Charts at the link.

Solid recruitment numbers everyone!

Homophobia, transphobia, biphobia and other forms of discrimination against LGBTQ people are why more people in the past haven't identified as LGBTQ, its not just the fear of others knowing it's internal conflicts because this heteronormative society has taught and demanded that queer people stay quiet and supress their identities for so long (and continues to in many ways).

The LGBTQ population in humanity is probably higher than 10 percent.

BowieZ

Banned
So crazy how it's basically the exact same percentage around the world in free nations that don't criminalise the behaviour.

AYF 001

Recruitment numbers?
Tongue-in-cheek joke about how homophobes claim that the LGBT community has an agenda to turn heterosexual people non-straight.

Hopefully people can still find the courage to openly identify in the coming years if things keep going the way they are politically.

MartyStu

Homophobia, transphobia, biphobia and other forms of discrimination against LGBTQ people are why more people in the past haven't identified as LGBTQ, its not just the fear of others knowing it's internal conflicts because this heteronormative society has taught and demanded that queer people stay quiet and supress their identities for so long.

All we can really say is that it is higher than we currently think. But it is looking likely...

Bronx-Man

Banned
That goshdarned ghey agenda. Next thing you know, our kids are all gonna be having pansexual orgies with all their friends.

LGBT identification increases are more pronounced in women than in men. In 2012, 3.5% of women identified as LGBT, comparable to the 3.4% of men. By 2016, LGBT identification in women increased to 4.4% compared with 3.7% among men. These changes mean that the portion of women among LGBT-identified adults rose slightly from 52% to 55%.

I've definitely noticed more women identifying as bisexual these days. Surprised the % isn't actually higher.

Homophobia, transphobia, biphobia and other forms of discrimination against LGBTQ people are why more people in the past haven't identified as LGBTQ, its not just the fear of others knowing it's internal conflicts because this heteronormative society has taught and demanded that queer people stay quiet and supress their identities for so long (and continues to in many ways).

The bold part is what I have experienced throughout my life without even realizing it. I've come to discover that I am bisexual and that it's OK. Up until that point, I was ashamed of myself thinking gals were attractive too. Society raised me to believe that I should go out and get a husband and pop out kids, which is the only path to true happiness. Took me awhile to see how much bullshit I was fed.

Sucks to discover this when you're married because you feel as if you've been lying to the other person about yourself in some ways I guess. Luckily I have an outstanding husband of awesome. :)

Is identify the correct word? If you're LGBTQI, that's what you are, not really something you choose to be.

I identify as a progressive leftist on social issues, but more of a socio-democratic centrist on economic issues, but that's from experience and opinions, not something biological.

Am I misinterpreting the word? :S

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is identify the correct word? If you're LGBTQI, that's what you are, not really something you choose to be.

Probably openly, or self aware about it. Obviously there must've been load and loads of repressed lesbians/gays/trans/whatever before millennials came along and ruined heternormativity.

I identify as a progressive leftist on social issues, but more of a socio-democratic centrist on economic issues, but that's from experience and opinions, not something biological.

In this context it is accurate since it is a survey of self-reported identities.

Fat4all

Banned
Recruitment numbers?

I found their strategies!!!

It was cleverly disguised...

Gay-agenda.jpg

Platy

I would have used "out" as a correct word.
But identify works too since people inside the closet does not identify themselves as LGBT

Fuchsdh

I very much doubt that. But it's also going to depend on what you define as queer.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

I'm confident that at least 50% of humanity would score a 2 or higher on the Kinsey scale should social pressure to remain strictly heterosexual not exist.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As time goes by it seems more accurate to see sexuality as a spectrum. Social conditioning prevents most people from exploring just what sexuality means to them personally.

I seem to recall surveys not long ago where more younger people said they might consider themselves some shade of gay or straight, by degrees.

Wilsongt

makes sense, easier world for young people to come out in than it used to be

Exactly. You see more young people feeling safer and having a stronger support system and resources than the previous generations.

Sadly, though... There also appears to be somewhat of an uptick in younger people contracting HIV, which is disheartening...

Miles X

7.3% young people? And you can bet there are still huge numbers in the closet.

I'd bet 1 in 10 are a 3+ on the Kinsey scale

Ms.Galaxy

7.3% young people? And you can bet there are still huge numbers in the closet.

I'd bet 1 in 10 are a 3+ on the Kinsey scale

Wasn't it commonly theorized that 10% of the population in the US is LGBT? I honestly think that recent data might actually increase that theorized number to maybe even 20%.

Miles X

Wasn't it commonly theorized that 10% of the population in the US is LGBT? I honestly think that recent data might actually increase that theorized number to maybe even 20%.

I think we'd need way more data and research to suggest 20%.

I definitely think 10%+ based on the 7.3% figure.

I guess it depends what you want to include? Straight guys that very occasionally experiment? I know a few :p

CDX

Millennials, defined here as those born between 1980 and 1998, drive virtually all of the increases observed in overall LGBT self-identification. The portion of that generation identifying as LGBT increased from 5.8% in 2012 to 7.3% in 2016.

Interesting. And yet I know there are people that still wont self identify for whatever reason. So it seems safe to estimate the real number is at least somewhat higher.

I'd be interested to see a more detailed breakdown, of how many are identifying as Lesbian or Gay vs how many are identifying as Bi.

Wilsongt

Interesting. And yet I know there are people that still wont self identify for whatever reason. So it seems safe to estimate the real number is at least somewhat higher.

I'd be interested to see a more detailed breakdown, of how many are identifying as Lesbian or Gay vs how many are identifying as Bi.

How much do you want to break it down? That + in LGBT+ keeps growing everyday. It's hard to keep up with it all in this new generation of obscure Tumblr sexualities.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
How much do you want to break it down? That + in LGBT+ keeps growing everyday. It's hard to keep up with it all in this new generation of obscure Tumblr sexualities.

Wider acknowledgement of bisexuality is the first step. There are still many who are confused by the basic idea of sexuality outside of the binary and this needs to be stamped out.

Air

Banned
Not surprised. Doesn't this lineup with the figure that about 10% of the worlds population is LGBT?

Anyway, good for them. It's easier to be who you want to be, makes sense the number would increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom