• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Center CX talks with programmer who's responsible for Mew

xk0sm0sx

https://youtu.be/6k-QXkvds_s?t=22m15s

From Nintendo's uploaded Game Center CX: Pokemon Red/Green series, the last episode features Shigeki Morimoto, the programmer who inserted Mew into the original games and sparking off an urban legend.
In the segment he talks about how Mew came about and challenged a pokemon battle with Arino, with the prize of winning being a Mew.
Arino's challenge has been to complete the Pokedex, including the Mew. He currently only lacks Mewtwo and Mew.

Basically what he shared has been the same when Iwata interviewed him for Heart Gold /Soul Silver, but I'll just translate this segment:

Mew's data did not exist until the very end. It was only up to Mewtwo.
The original plan was to only indicate the presense of Mew in journals found in the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar Island.
Morimoto was in charge of debugging. Nearing the release, he removed his debug code from the program and there was space created from what used to be the debug code.
He wanted to do something with those journal entries, so he filled that space with Mew's data, designing the parameters, the cry, and the Pokedex entry.
The only other person who knew about it is Game Freak's CEO, Satoshi Taijiri. Nintendo did not know about it.
He said it was intended to be given as a present for players in real events, and he showed the flyer for it.

WqlLW6D.jpg

CUaDetC.png

xzeldax3

I love when programmers put in little secrets like this. The way fans will come up with crazy conspiracies is so entertaining.

zeioIIDX

Wouldn't Ken Sugimori have had to know about it so that Mew could be drawn? I don't know whether he drew his artwork after the pixel art was created initially for the individual Pokemon or if it was the other way around.

Top Bottom