• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Developer's Conference 2013 (GDC) March 25th - 29th

Spawnling

Official Website | @Official_GDC | @GDC_Online | GDC GAF Meetup Thread

What's the Game Developers Conference? Source
The Game Developers Conference (GDC) is the world's largest and longest-running professionals-only game industry event. The GDC attracts over 22,500 attendees, and is the primary forum where programmers, artists, producers, game designers, audio professionals, business decision-makers and others involved in the development of interactive games gather to exchange ideas and shape the future of the industry. The GDC is produced by the UBM Tech Game Network.

This market defining conference features over 400 lectures, panels, tutorials and round-table discussions on a comprehensive selection of game development topics taught by leading industry experts. In addition, the GDC expo showcases all of the most relevant game development tools, platforms and services helping to drive the industry forward. The conference also features the fourteenth annual Independent Games Festival, the longest-running and largest festival relating to independent games worldwide, where original games compete for the attention of the publishing community, and the twelfth annual Game Developers Choice Awards, the premier accolades for peer-recognition in the digital games industry.

*Search through the full sessions scheduler here

Notable sessions taking place (no live streams though)

Notable sessions for Indie Developers

Featured Livestreams:

IGF & Choice Awards Ceremony (LIVESTREAM LINK IS HERE)

Date: March 27
Time: 6:30PM - 8:30PM (Pacific Time)
Format: Special Event
Vault Recording: Video

About:
The IGF was established in 1998 to encourage innovation in game development and to recognize the best independent game developers. At the awards ceremony, the IGF gives out eight awards and over $55,000 in total prize money to the most innovative independent games. The awards are held in conjunction with the Game Developers Choice Awards. Learn more about the IGF at www.igf.com.

The Game Developers Choice Awards are the premier accolades for peer-recognition in the digital games industry, celebrating creativity, artistry and technological genius. Industry professionals from around the world nominate for the awards, free of charge, ensuring that the recipients reflect the community's opinions. Learn more about the GDCA at www.gamechoiceawards.com.

The Core of MGS Ground ZeroesHideo Kojima (LIVESTREAM LINK IS HERE)

Hideki Sasaki | CG Art Director, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Masayuki Suzuki | Lighting Artist, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Junji Tago | Technical Director, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Date: March 27
Time: 11:00AM - 12:30PM (Pacific Time)
Format: Lecture
Tracks: Design, Visual Arts

About:
Join Hideo Kojima and the Kojima Productions staff as they demonstrate and explain the workflow and development process of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on the Fox Engine. This session will mainly cover the key components and unique methods Kojima Productions utilizes in the graphics arena to create visuals seen in METAL GEAR SOLID GROUND ZEROES. Participants can expect an overview of topics such as asset creation and rendering techniques used in the next METAL GEAR SOLID. Enjoy the session as Kojima Productions unveils the FOX Engine for the first time.

Speakers
Hideo Kojima | Corporate Officer (EVP), Contents Officer, Director of Kojima Productions, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Hideo Kojima joined Konami in 1986. He has consistently led the production of the Metal Gear series from the first title (released in 1987) to the newest titles. As a world renowned game creator, Kojima was honored with a "Lifetime Achievement Award" at the 2009 Game Developers Choice Awards and recognized as one of the "10 Important People to Watch" by Newsweek in 2001. The award-winning Konami developer continues to take on new challenges in the production of the latest Metal Gear titles, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Hideki Sasaki | CG Art Director, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Hideki Sasaki joined Konami in 1996. He was part of the Environment Art team for MGS1 and moved on to be the lead character artist for MGS2 - MGS4, directing and creating popular characters throughout the series. Currently, he is overseeing the art direction of MGS: Ground Zeroes as the CG Art Director.

Masayuki Suzuki | Lighting Artist, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Masayuki Suzuki joined Konami in 2012. He is currently overseeing the lighting in Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Junji Tago | Technical Director, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Junji Tago joined Konami in 2003, and immediately played a big role in MGS4 as he directed the player program and physics engine. He is now the lead for the development of the Fox Engine.

Classic Game Postmortem: X-COM (LIVESTREAM LINK IS HERE)

Julian Gollop | Independent, Gollop Games
Date: March 28
Time: 10:00AM - 11:00AM (Pacific Time)

About:
Firaxis' and 2K Games' recent X-COM: Enemy Unknown is actually a remake of a series that began twenty years ago. It all started in 1994 with MicroProse's UFO: Enemy Unknown, entitled X-COM: UFO Defense in North America, a real-time base management simulation with turn-based tactical combat and an engaging story of alien invasion. The marriage of its distinct Geoscape and Battlescape views represented the game's strategy and battle modes, respectively; and they provided what felt like two different and compelling games in one. In this postmortem, Julian Gollop will lay out the tactics he deployed in directing, co-designing, co-programming, and even co-drawing the first, and often highest regarded, UFO/X-COM entry.

Speaker
Julian Gollop | Independent, Gollop Games
Julian Gollop began his game development career in 1982 by making games for various 8-bit and 16-bit home computers. This work led to a contract with MicroProse to produce X-Com: UFO Defense. After producing one more X-Com game for MicroProse, Julian went on to build his development company with his brother Nick, and produced games for Virgin and Namco before moving to Bulgaria. There he joined Ubisoft as a designer/producer, and built a team to make a 3DS release title, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, and then took on the role of creative director for Assassin's Creed III: Liberation for the PS Vita. He recently left Ubisoft to become an indie developer working on a remake of one of his earliest titles.

Brave New World: New Bungie IP (LIVESTREAM LINK IS HERE)

Christopher Barrett | Art Director, Bungie
Joe Staten | Writer, Design Director, Bungie
Date: March 28
Time: 4:00PM - 5:00PM (Pacific Time)
Tracks: Visual Arts, Design

About:
Two decades of success in the gaming industry is no small feat, but after ten years of Halo, Bungie found themselves faced with a tremendous challenge: to build a whole new world, filled with even more amazing mysteries, places, creatures, and opportunities for player investment. For the first time ever, Bungie creative directors will discuss their world building techniques, from concept to production. Attendees will walk away with key insights into Bungie's battle-tested design process. They'll get a glimpse of the brave new world that has been built, a place where the next ten years of great Bungie adventures will unfold.

Takeaway
In a presentation filled with concept art and design case studies, attendees will learn about Bungie's world building pillars, and see how these were put to use to create Bungie's next great universe of games.

Intended Audience
While the talk is focused on art and design collaboration, takeaways will be useful for members of all game development disciplines who are eager to improve their team's world building process. There are no prerequisites.

Speakers
Christopher Barrett | Art Director, Bungie
Christopher Barrett has spent eleven of his twelve years in the gaming industry at Bungie. He earned his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York.

Joe Staten | Writer, Design Director, Bungie
Chances are, if the Bungie logo is on the box, Joe Staten had a whole lot to do with it. Over the past eleven years he has been essential to the studio's success, having contributed his creative vision to publishing, design, writing, cinematic, and creative teams. Staten also authored the New York Times Best Seller, Contact Harvest, and provided the voice for Halo's beloved cannon fodder, the Grunts.

RoKKeR

Looking forward to it, but I'm mostly anticipating the BF4 announcement. Really interested to see all of the inevitable next gen talk.

It's time

i4gsRYUlweSNC.gif

Spawnling

If anything leaks, it'll happen this week. Microsoft will undoubtedly be hosting private events for the Durango so there is a chance that things will get out.

Only leads me to believe that something big will happen towards the end of April. This is where bigger rumors are already colliding with Microsoft speakers.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Maybe in terms of third party support but anything else from Sony themselves not so much.

Uhh...

Sony to host 'Overview of PS4 for Developers' at GDC 2013

Sony Computer Entertainment America is set to host a presentation titled "Overview of PS4 for Developers" at the 2013 Game Developers Conference 2013.

The session brief states: "This presentation will discuss the technology from a development standpoint as well as from the design side."

Speakers aren't specified on the brief, only a sweeping "Sony Presenters" is offered. The session is scheduled for March 27 from 11:00am to 12:00pm, Room 2002, West Hall.

BlazinAm

How much info do you think will be distilled in an hour? No broad consumer focused announcements.

I would hope that we get some details about Gaikai and how it will work but I think they will save that ace for e3.

Meelow

Banned
Yep. But it's just tentative, need some further confirmation.

If Microsoft doesn't announce the Xbox 720 before May I'll be shocked.

On another topic I wonder what will come out of this.

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/312801502081208320

Edit: It's about Nintendo getting AAA games on Wii U.

@tyronerodriguez Big developers are out there shopping their games to publishers. Nintendo should outbid EA, Activision for those games.

@Emi1yRogers I actually much prefer what Nintendo is doing for developers behind the scenes--most of which, I can't discuss. #NDA

@twelvezero8 GDC is sooner.

Wynnebeck

Banned
How much info do you think will be distilled in an hour? No broad consumer focused announcements.

I would hope that we get some details about Gaikai and how it will work but I think they will save that ace for e3.

That much is obvious. It's a panel for developers. I expect news from devs talking more about the PS4's capabilities.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
End of #TeamCG

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Do you have to be an industry "insider" to get into GDC, or can anyone show up if they pay the cover charge?

Do you have to be an industry "insider" to get into GDC, or can anyone show up if they pay the cover charge?

Anyone can show up, technically. It's just that even basic non-student badges run into the hundreds of dollars. The all-access pass goes for nearly a thousand, FOR ALUMNI. It's geerally not worth spending the money to "crash" GDC. It's meant to be fairly exclusive.

But yeah, as I keep saying in these threads: don't expect ~megatons~ from GDC, guys. It's meant to be a forum for developers to meet up and discuss their craft with one another, not a place for the media to cover HOT NEW TITLES. That's what E3 and PAX are for.

That said, I want to know which scheduling genius put Kojima and Sony head to head. I want to attend both of those talks as I'm interested in both, and while there won't be BOMBZ flying around at the Sony talk, I'm betting there'll be some interesting discussion of their online strategy and their indie initiative.

EDIT:
What're some of the key highlights for the other two days, 25th-26th? 0.o

Monday and Tuesday are dedicated to topic-specific summits (such as independent development, localization, artificial intelligence, etc.) as well as day-long tutorials on specific subjects for people to familiarize themselves with something new and as a springboard to learn further (for example, the Audio Tutorial on Tuesday will focus heavily on musical orchestration in games from some of the industry's greats). There will absolutely not be any bombs dropped here, unless someone really comes out of nowhere (granted, Capybara did this once
emot-v.gif
).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn. I really want to hear about so many of these panels. Destiny, Kojima, PS4, art of DmC, seems like there is loads of fantastic stuff this year.

Hope some Durango details drip out "accidentally."

Togeo

That said, I want to know which scheduling genius put Kojima and Sony head to head. I want to attend both of those talks as I'm interested in both.

They're designed that way. They put the most popular talks at the same times so everyone at the conference doesn't try to rush into one singular talk. This splits the crowd.

red731

Keeping my hopes low, hype in check and not expecting much.
I will be surprised if something great would be shown.

Also that airplance.gif *clapity clapity

001_1.gif

All aboard the hype train.

Can we expect any big announcements in the PS4 conference or am I getting hyped over nothing. Its not even being livestreamed :(

All aboard the hype train.

Can we expect any big announcements in the PS4 conference or am I getting hyped over nothing. Its not even being livestreamed :(

You are getting hyped for nothing, do not expect massive announcements of any kind. Even GDC has said they don't want it.

Sandfox

I want to see the next Xbox just because I'm getting tired of speculation lol

If Microsoft doesn't announce the Xbox 720 before May I'll be shocked.

On another topic I wonder what will come out of this.

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/312801502081208320

Edit: It's about Nintendo getting AAA games on Wii U.

Didn't Iwata say during investors meeting that more partnerships with third-parties would be unveiled at GDC?

Maybe they're offering more incentive to devs or something which could include partnerships.

Top Bottom