• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Grumps (aka Egoraptor plays some games)

Man, I'm definitely on the side that's getting tired of Arin. He's ruining new playthroughs. Not just because of his bad "no game should ever tell me what to do ever, or have any text for me to read at all" attitude that he thinks is both funny and justified (it's not). It's also the fact that he plays ahead and ruins a big reason why people would even watch the show in the first place. Him playing ahead in Zelda is one of the worst things he could do. Him knowing exactly what to to do and exactly who every character is at all times ruins the fun and the purpose of watching them play through the game for the first time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was excited to see their first interaction with the Yiga clan, but nope! He doesn't have any surprise, and basically makes it impossible for Danny to have any, which ruins the moment and brings the whole show down. The show isn't just about listening to Arin recycle jokes.

The least he could do if he's going to play ahead is not explain to Danny every single thing he's going to do, where every character is, how every quest plays out before they finish it. At least then we could get something out of the series. But even then I don't think he should be playing ahead at all. This is his job. And sometimes you've gotta make sacrifices for your job. I understand that he might like the game and want to play it more in his off time, but really, he just shouldn't. His job is to play video games for an audience, so he needs to start taking that job more seriously like they (seemed to) back in the day. I understand that they're also supposed to be funny, but even comedians need to take the more routine bits of their job seriously like showing up on time, etc. Arin needs to respect his audience and not ruin the show for them because of his own personal desire to play ahead.
I think you may be taking Breath of the Wild a bit too seriously.

Gsnap

I think you may be taking Breath of the Wild a bit too seriously.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. My post is about Arin's bad habits/attitude ruining the show. Breath of the Wild is only the most recent example. He's done it on more than one occasion.

The show isn't fun to watch when Arin actively sucks the fun out of it.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. My post is about Arin's bad habits/attitude ruining the show. Breath of the Wild is only the most recent example. He's done it on more than one occasion.

The show isn't fun to watch when Arin actively sucks the fun out of it.

Arin going ahead and finishing Inside was one of my biggest gripes with their playthrough of it.

Gsnap

Arin going ahead and finishing Inside was one of my biggest gripes with their playthrough of it.

Yeah, I don't even like that game, but the playthrough was interesting at first and they both seemed to be enjoying it. After a few episodes you can see an immediate shift, and it's obvious Arin knew what was going to happen, and it wasn't fun to watch anymore.

eh, i don't really care if he played the game before, i only watch them to see their improve on certain situations and the interaction between each others! Danny discovery of a game is enough

i prefere when arin know where he goes rather than loosing 5 episode not knowing what to do

eh, i don't really care if he played the game before, i only watch them to see their improve on certain situations and the interaction between each others! Danny discovery of a game is enough

i prefere when arin know where he goes rather than loosing 5 episode not knowing what to do

If they're having trouble, I'd rather them just speed up to when they solve it, or hell just look up what to do/where to go. I don't think anyone would mind that compared to having Arin know everything and spoiling Dan.

PT was an example because he didn't even need to play it through since they didn't finish it. (If he actually thought Dan would sit through the rest of it then lol). The only puzzles were the HELLO and picture ones which could easily have been looked up.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
oney and arin play uncharted 4? This one is amazing! I'm not a fan of this franchise and always said it was way overrated! So it was pretty funny seeing them pointing all the issue i have with the game
That play through is great except the timed oney goes Ord on a tangent about discrimination against women and put a run in a hard spot

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
After their Goofy conversation the other day it really got me wanting a second play through of Goof Troop with Arin and Danny just to see the contrast and if Danny makes the same observations Jon did back then.

I'm in the "I can't get into their Let's Plays because they aren't blind" camp.

However, I also feel that telling a dude who makes millions off of 15-minute gaming videos that he should change his methods is silly.

dickroach

I was reading some reddit comments and youtube comments, and man the fanbase is divided. Some can't stand Arin anymore because he is doing fake outrages and seems to disregard Danny, and others dislike Danny because apparently he is holding back Arin's comedy because Danny doesn't want to offend people.

I can relate to Danny. I hate it when my friends start saying offensive shit in public. I don't want to deal with that shit.

My internet must be broken. It's saying this post is from today but it's GOTTA be from like two years ago

dude, I'm still salty that Arin spoiled Dan for silent hill shattered memories in the FIRST EPISODE.

To be fair, I don't think they were planning on doing a full LP at first, so he probably felt fine spoiling it (it was a Halloween show initially, right?).

But then it ended up being popular and Dan was digging it so they kept going.

I strayed away from let's plays for a while, but I'm really loving the new Doodle Doods series the grumps are doing. Probably the hardest I've laughed from a YouTube series in a long time! Hopefully they actually continue the series. I'll be waiting for a King Of The Hill episode.

I think it's more the tone per play through.

The first few episodes of Zelda setup an expectation of a blind or at least semi-blind playthrough. Then Arin went far ahead in his private playthrough and sapped a lot of fun out of it.

If it had started with Arin being a know it all it'd probably have been fine.

With the Zelda sequelitus, and with how much Arin likes open world games, there wasn't a single doubt in my mind that he'd play it as soon as possible before considering putting it on Grumps. I think people were just hoping against hope if they thought he'd go in blind.

With the Zelda sequelitus, and with how much Arin likes open world games, there wasn't a single doubt in my mind that he'd play it as soon as possible before considering putting it on Grumps. I think people were just hoping against hope if they thought he'd go in blind.

They did go in blind the first few episodes (first session) as it was recorded before the game released. That is what set the expectation.

I think Arin is way off on the quality of Japanese games. We've had a huge upward swing in amazing Japanese games since mid 2016. And it's not stopping (persona 5 in a few days for example)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
DItto. I don't play those games but I enjoy watching them a lot.

My friend streamed Catherine a long time ago. Then I believe the Best Friends played it too. (Or did the Grumps? I can't remember.) My friend also did Persona 4 at the time. I preferred Catherine.

Dan talking about a story he wrote about a wizard named 'Lazer' amused me
qWxFXee.png

oh baby where do you want me to conclude

EDIT Arin is spamming retweets of cute girly art plz advice (well besides clicking Like and maybe doing a few new follows)

Just watched the smash grumpcades and why is Ross such a little whiny fucking baby. Nobody cares if you're competitive, you're there to entertain not to prove you're the best player (which you aren't even) between 4 people

Top Bottom