• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer 218 details (Assassin's Creed, Rayman Origins)

ShockingAlberto said:
In Spider-Man 2, people would sometimes be in trouble or ask for help from Spider-Man.

On literally every block, there was a kid that screamed "MY BALLOON" and asked you to get it for him.

If you do and come back to the block, he will be back again.

So you hear "MY BALLOON" a hundred times an hour.

lol thanks. that's ridiculous

JonCha

Man, I haven't played a Rayman game since the N64. I loved those games even though I was quite young.

Also pumped about the Sonic Generations preview. Hopefully we'll get some new screens.

RiZ III

In order to make the world more immersive they've done away with traditional side missions in favor of random events. For example you may be traveling through a city and notice a shop owner being robbed or a little girl asking for help

This reminds me of the Spiderman open world game where there's like 2 things that happen in the city: stupid kid losing his balloon, and random burglary.

fernoca

I AM JOHN! said:
Yeah, but you're talking about people living in 2011, not the early 1500s where the life expectancy (not to mention quality of life) was far, far lower. It's anachronistic at best, counter to all the references to Ezio being old to the point of becoming past his prime in Brotherhood at worst.
Yeah but is not like people think about "life expectancy and quality of life back then" when they see or hear "50 years old". Is like the "running out to time to have kids" comment. Probably a joke, but still. Some just see age as a number and imagine things based on their ideas of how a 50 years old is supposed to act, do and look.

Plus Ezio in the games has always been quite agile and in good form; in-game jokes aside. He was in his 40s in Brotherhood, so why expect him to be decrepit and sick in this one? :p

If anything it would be cool if they make some changes into the gameplay as you progress to show that he may not be in top form as he was in previous games. But expecting him to be completely different and slow because of his age is nonsense.

soldat7 said:
Are they planning on an AC3 at all?
Apparently yep, has always been the intention. Even more with the whole myth and the story tied to the events of 2012.

soldat7

fernoca said:
Apparently yep, has always been the intention. Even more with the whole myth and the story tied to the events of 2012.

Then why not cut to the chase and do AC3? Are they not concerned about the possibility of the same franchise fatigue that many of their other titles have been subjected to?

gdt

soldat7 said:
Then why not cut to the chase and do AC3? Are they not concerned about the possibility of the same franchise fatigue that many of their other titles have been subjected to?

TripOpt55

Both sound good. I'm not too excited about a new AC already, but I will almost certainly enjoy playing it when it comes out.

fernoca

soldat7 said:
Because it's selling. If they saw some reduction in sales of Brotherhood then maybe, but sales were great too.

Plus, like most companies; they run on money and sharehodlers and promises they make to them. Since Assassins' Creed brings money and they promised millions by the end of the year they know they have to release another AC to make those millions.

If sales go down, then ACIII is expected to be kinda different in many ways, so others may see this and give the franchise another change. Same way many ignored Brotherhood and probably will ignore Revelations; but sales-wise with brotherhood they were the minority. We'll have to wait and see if with Revelations there are more, especially with the other big releases that month.

Not to mention that overall quality has maintained/improved with each release...and yep, because of 2012. :p

Kintaro said:
So, in Revelations... you are Desmond, looking into the memories of Ezio, who is looking for the memories of Altair?
iSPIK.gif

AniHawk

- While the game was a downloable title it has since become a full retail title. Ancel said that comes from people wanting to make a real sequel

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

kinda makes up for the bge2 news

Squire

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I pray to god we see BG&E2 at E3.

For some reason, I kinda feel like there's a chance it will actually pop up now that RO is back into view. Do we know how well BG&E HD performed?

SykoTech

Wasn't there suppose to be a Wii version of Origins? Any mention of that? I think it would be weird if they decided to cancel it when Origins is full retail now and it could appeal to the audience of NSMBWii fans.

fernoca

SykoTech said:
Wasn't there suppose to be a Wii version of Origins? Any mention of that? I think it would be weird if they decided to cancel it when Origins is full retail now and it could appeal to the audience of NSMBWii fans.
Nope.
They said they were planning for Wii, 3DS and iPad versions; but the game has always been 360/PS3. Back then downloadable, now retail.

At least from what I remember... :p

Squire

Banned
fernoca said:
Nope.
They said they were planning for Wii, 3DS and iPad versions; but the game has always been 360/PS3. Back then downloadable, now retail.

At least from what I remember... :p

The E3 trailer also showed the game running in real-time at 60 fps and in 1080p. They said on their blog that they want the game like that because it's the best way to show off the work of the game's art team.

http://ubi-art.uk.ubi.com/2010/06/14/how-about-a-schedule-and-a-format-for-rayman-origins/

Shiggy

- While the game was a downloable title it has since become a full retail title. Ancel said that comes from people wanting to make a real sequel
- It's due this holiday for the PS3 and 360

That explains two things: Why it's coming a year later and for what reason they are releasing it on Wii (also retail).

SykoTech said:

An official confirmation is coming at E3 (as of a few weeks ago at least), don't worry.

Shiggy said:
That explains two things: Why it's coming a year later and for what reason they are releasing it on Wii (also retail).

They aren't releasing it on Wii. It says right there, 360 and PS3. Unless someone in the know has told you otherwise.

Shiggy

Green Scar said:
They aren't releasing it on Wii. It says right there, 360 and PS3. Unless someone in the know has told you otherwise.

Neither does it say that they are releasing it on Wii there nor does it say that they aren't. Unless the Wii version was cancelled in the past few weeks (which is highly unlikely), that version will be announced in less than a month.

Brandon F said:
:Grumble:

I loved AC2 and ACB, but Ezio again? What else is there to gain in the overarching plot from that time period/character?

He's popular.

AC:R is also bought, don't need to hear anything else.

Shiggy said:
Neither does it say that they are releasing it on Wii there nor does it say that they aren't. Unless the Wii version was cancelled in the past few weeks (which is highly unlikely), that version will be announced in less than a month.

Eh, OK. Now that it's a retail game I'm inclined to agree that'll probably happen. Still, why wouldn't they just say in the magazine? Games PR, weirdos

syoaran

I AM JOHN! said:
Yeah, but you're talking about people living in 2011, not the early 1500s where the life expectancy (not to mention quality of life) was far, far lower. It's anachronistic at best, counter to all the references to Ezio being old to the point of becoming past his prime in Brotherhood at worst.

I agree with you, but I have a feeling that this can be explained in the AC universe by saying that the "uber" people that Adam/Altair/Ezio/Desmond are all part of just survive the rigours of age better than most. Like Eagle vision, or understanding forgotten languages.

This AC is already pre-ordered, but since I'm a PC guy I guess I will have to wait 200 days for it to be ported....

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I pray to god we see BG&E2 at E3.

Pretty sure it's not going to happen, sadly. Ever since the first teaser trailer out of the blue years about we keep hearing bits and pieces about it, but nothing concrete and almost always with rumors of cancellation. It's fast becoming the biggest tease in the industry after Episode 3.

Rayman is sounding pretty good though. Especially the 4 player local mode. I love local co-op, especially when it steps outside of the usual FPS / beat-em-up genres.

Squire

Banned
Green Scar said:
Eh, OK. Now that it's a retail game I'm inclined to agree that'll probably happen. Still, why wouldn't they just say in the magazine? Games PR, weirdos

It doesn't matter anyway. The art is what's going to really set the game apart and it's devs who are saying so. It's gonna be great, but it won't do anything mechanically that couldn't have been done ten years ago. The Wii can't do HD, so are they doing a quick dirty port? Probably!

Unless it's actually coming to Cafe.

Riposte

My expectations for this game are quite low, but if they can make it so there are multiple objectives to get 100% sync, I'll like it even more than Brotherhood. No range, no detection, no swimming, x weapon, etc etc for each mission. Or maybe even a hard mode, but that's asking too much.

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Wow that was way too many uses of "accessible". Not feeling too hyped about Rayman anymore... :/

This just means they want people to be able to get into it like people can get into Mario. Besides, why is accessibility wrong? It's seperate from dumbing down, believe it or not, don't let other, much shittier developers trick you into thinking accessibility can only be gained from paper-thin piss-easy gameplay. This is Michel Ancel, keep calm and carry on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kintaro said:
So, in Revelations... you are Desmond, looking into the memories of Ezio, who is looking for the memories of Altair?

One would wonder why Desmond isn't just reliving Altair's memories directly then, instead of through Ezio, unless he can't relive those specific memories without reliving them through Ezio? Maybe the memories are not in his DNA, they could be past the conception of Altair's child?

Green Scar said:
This just means they want people to be able to get into it like people can get into Mario. Besides, why is accessibility wrong? It's seperate from dumbing down, believe it or not, don't let other, much shittier developers trick you into thinking accessibility can only be gained from paper-thin piss-easy gameplay. This is Michel Ancel, keep calm and carry on.

Maybe it's the creepy grin, but somehow I'm buying what your selling... I guess I'll wait for Gaffer impressions before I abandon ship.

Ether_Snake said:
One would wonder why Desmond isn't just reliving Altair's memories directly then, instead of through Ezio, unless he can't relive those specific memories without reliving them through Ezio? Maybe the memories are not in his DNA, they could be past the conception of Altair's child?

That'd make it a sort of sequel to Altaïr's story which would be pretty cool. :D

Squire

Banned
RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Wow that was way too many uses of "accessible". Not feeling too hyped about Rayman anymore... :/

You're right, I mean, trying to balance the game in a way that will allow more people to actually enjoy/finish it? MADNESS!

fernoca

Ether_Snake said:
Maybe the memories are not in his DNA, they could be past the conception of Altair's child?
Yep, that's probably it.
Ezio has shown interest in the past in discovering more about Altair's life and even ACII teased at what happened to him in his later years, his children, the assassins, the apple, etc.

Plus one of the recent teasers, teased at the possibility of seeing events of Ezio's father in his youth. So maybe Ezio will discover things about the chidlrens of Altair; leading to his father.

Ether_Snake said:
Theory: Perhaps the seals are reacting to Ezio's
PoE
? Altair was studying his, maybe he found a way to leave messages and memories in the seals for future assassins.

Inorigo said:
You're right, I mean, trying to balance the game in a way that will allow more people to actually enjoy/finish it? MADNESS!

I didn't say anything about not allowing more people to enjoy it. If they can manage to somehow make a fun yet challenging game, I'll be there day one. It just happens so infrequently that I can't help, but be a little skeptical (and it seems as if every game that I enjoy is lambasted as being too difficult on NeoGAF).

Part of me is absolutely giddy over a new AssCreed. The other part of me is hoping that this isn't going to turn into another Kingdom Hearts situation where they make every game except Three.

Empty

RoboGeorgeForeman said:

to be fair, rayman 1 is fucking hard. i'd be looking to reassure people that origins won't be that tough given 1 was most people's last experience with that series in 2d and will be their reference point for how they think this game will play.

fernoca

Professor Beef said:
Part of me is absolutely giddy over a new AssCreed. The other part of me is hoping that this isn't going to turn into another Kingdom Hearts situation where they make every game except Three.
Well, as long as they don't go that crazy with the story it will be fine. Kingdom Hearts went from a nice story, to just complete bullshit.

Still love Kingdom Hearts..so guess I'm a masochist. :/

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
- He noted that few people finished the original Rayman due to its difficulty. They hope to change that by making this one more accessible while still offering a challenge
Boo!

- They're trying to design the game to fit various platforming styles. So people that enjoy collecting will have plenty to collect but it's also being designed for those that like to do speedruns
Nice!

Oh shit!! $60 retail 2D game? FUCK YEAH

Muzzy

Are the glyph and clusters puzzle back?

Altaïr being playable through sequences, I hope it doesn't mean we'll play not much as him.

Irish

Man, I wish I got my issue this early.

- Ezio has a new item called the hookblade which allows him to use ziplines throughout the city. UBI says that it speeds up navigation by about 30%

Hm. Sounds like it could be a great replacement for the well system in Brotherhood (even though I would like to see that return as well). I wonder if you'll be able to abandon it along any section of the line or if you have to stay on it all the way to the end. Hope they include a cool motion blur effect when sliding down it.

- Ezio can now make bombs through a crafting system. UBI says that there are over 300 bomb types

I liked the idea when it was first presented in that AC survey a few months back, but now I'm not so sure that it will fit in. I totally imagined it for a different time period for some reason. I wonder what overall purpose bombs will end up serving in the game.

I'd like to see some sort of "capture" bomb that releases a net or something. I don't know.

- They've modified the control scheme so that circle/B will control the hookblade and triangle/Y will control project weapons and bombs

Well, the hookblade being on Circle makes sense since that was always the grab the button anyway. I don't know how I feel about the projectiles being moved to the triangle button though. I liked them being on the "Hold Square" function. This was really useful for the combo chains in Brotherhood. It also freed up some space on the weapon wheel because the projectiles were each attached to their own melee weapon.

- Eagles vision has become eagle sense. "Eagle sense let's you focus on a character and see where he's been," Amancio says. "You'll get an approximation of where he will go. If you're able to detect the path a guard will take, you can run ahead, set a bomb, and create a trap or an ambush."

Since the Triangle button is now being used for projectiles, I'm guessing they will attach this to the lock-on button (L1). I think I like this decision. Maybe they will do away with the completely darkened vision and instead just highlight the person or object you happened to be looking at with the zoomed-in view with the red/blue/gold aura. Actually locking on to that person could reveal their paths or whatever.

I do think the part about setting traps is funny though. It would be much easier to just go down there and stab the dude. :p

- They've expanded on the Borgia Towers concept in order to create a new system. Throughout the city there are Assassin's Den's, you'll need to complete various assault scenarios in order take down the Templar presence (UBI says that there's more variety than in the Borgia Towers). Once you obtain a den you'll be able to upgrade the buildings in that region along with adding ziplines across the rooftops. You'll also be able to change the guards from being hostile to neutral.
- You can lose control of you dens as you gain notoriety. You'll be able to send your own troops after the templars if you're unable to make it back to the specific den that's being attacked. You can do that by making it to any of the other dens that you currently control. You'll also be able to install a master assassin to control a specific den and you'll never have to worry about it being taken over.
- The assassin leveling mechanic has been increased from 10 to 15

I hope each Assassin Den is quite different from the others. Assaulting each new one should feel like a fresh experience. I think they should be treated like the Romulus Lairs/Assassin tombs, but with a larger mix of combat/platforming/puzzle solving.

I hope by 'neutral' they mean those annoying rooftop guards won't attack you immediately on-site in the very areas that you control.

I'm really curious to see how this whole tug-of-war for control of the Dens plays out. This could be an exciting new mechanic if done properly. I wonder how much time you will have to make it back to the area that is being attacked. I also wonder how sending your troops to battle for you will work. Will it be similar to the missions in AC:B?

Also, my basic thoughts on the Assassin Brotherhood in general (taken from some old posts and mixed with some new stuff):

While it was a fantastic addition, I don't think enough was done with it. For example, none of the assassins really seem all that unique. Sure, each one has their own name and a somewhat non-generic appearance, but I don't believe there was enough of a difference between them. Every potential recruit you approach is involved in a fight with three guards and they're all poor and wield swords. It would have been much cooler if they all had unique situations that you could find them in. Examples include: About to jump off a bridge and kill themselves; setting fire to a guard house; randomly roaming about the rooftops of Rome; being escorted away by a group of guards; commanding a group of mercenaries in a battle against the guards; and, for one special recruit, watching their family being hung by the Borgia (mirroring Ezio's own tale). It could have been cool to recruit a few pairs (like a father/son duo).

Each recruit should have had personal stats as well as having their own upgrade branches (instead of the basic four armor upgrades (pauldrons/greaves/chest guard/plate set); four weapon upgrades (dagger/sword/?/Axe); three equipment slots; and small selection of clothing dye that disappears once they become full assassins). These stats (including a personality type- rash, calm, clever, and so on and job- leader. strategist, fighter, tactician, etc.) as well as equipment would have had more of an affect on mission success than plain old level. Personality type/job would really come into effect when it came to pairing up assassins for more difficult missions. Having too many leaders wouldn't really work out all that well. Neither would assigning a bunch of brash assassins to a stealth mission.

Ezio should have interacted more with his assassin recruits as well. It would have felt much more like a brotherhood that way. Especially with the introduction of the new Den system, it would really be cool to see how your assassins are handling themselves overall. I want to care for my assassin guild and the way that could happen would to really give a personality to these people and letting them talk to Ezio. Some may like him, some may hate him and even try to overthrow him. There could be a mini-coup attempt. There's all kinds of interesting possibilities here.

It would also be nice if you could see small video clips of how each mission went once it is completed.

I liked the fact that you unlocked a recruit slot after destroying a Borgia tower. It just made sense. I was disappointed with the fact that you could only have three Brotherhood Assist Move slots even though you could have nearly double the amount of assassins in your guild.

In fact, I think the whole key to the Brotherhood system is diversity and uniqueness.

- In order to make the world more immersive they've done away with traditional side missions in favor of random events. For example you may be traveling through a city and notice a shop owner being robbed or a little girl asking for help

This could be good as long as there is a lot of diversity in the missions. AC1 had similar stuff where you rescued a woman from guards and then a group of mercenaries would show up in that spot and passively help you when guards were chasing you by tripping them up or holding on to them.

All in all, they need to avoid mission repetitiveness.

- They're using a new type of capture facial technology called Mocam that GI describes as an "intriguing amalgamation of traditional animation, performance capture and the fascinating new style of performance on display in games like LA Noire."

I'd like to see the results of this.

- Desmond is placed back inside Animus where he finds a safe mode called the 'Black Room'. You'll be able to access Desmond's lost memories through that back door
- The gameplay during Desmond's game is described as narrative-fueled puzzle sequences. "Through the manipulation and creation of geometry with the game world, Desmond seeks to reintegrate the splintered layers of his subconscious."

I wonder if these will play out like a mixture between the final section of Brotherhood in the hidden room beneath the Colosseum and the final Subject 16 section.

I was pretty into the story after AC2 and after brotherhood I don't think I care anymore. I just don't want them to water down the narrative or completely change direction again. It's an outstanding game otherwise and I'm looking forward to the co-op elements.

Top Bottom