• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: Battlefield 3 [FLEABttn to the rescue, new thread soon!]

SA-X said:
Are the maps in the console version still going to be as big as the pc version maps? I hope they don't downsize them for less players. One of the things I like about battlefield is that it gives you a chance to sneak around by yourself way out in the open and plan your next attack instead of everyone just spawning next to each other and charging at the first enemy they see. I'd hate it if they downsized them to just some small urban sections of the maps or something to make the game more like cod.

You really think they'll leave a map for 64 players on the consoles for only 24? Yeah, not happening.

I still think it's very realistic to think that the maps on the console versions will be the size of Battlefield 1943 maps, maybe a tiny bit bigger at most.

the last page of this thread is baffling me. i thought some of the benefits of PC gaming were customizing and choice. a few people seem to be upset about more options, why is that?

Biff

Crakatak187 said:
That's satisfying to hear.

I want it to be Sniper rifle>Assault rifle/LMGs>Magnums>Submachine guns>Pistols in that order.
BF2 was a champion in bullet velocity accuracy. No way they'll screw it up in BF3 :)

jambo

SA-X said:
Are the maps in the console version still going to be as big as the pc version maps? I hope they don't downsize them for less players. One of the things I like about battlefield is that it gives you a chance to sneak around by yourself way out in the open and plan your next attack instead of everyone just spawning next to each other and charging at the first enemy they see. I'd hate it if they downsized them to just some small urban sections of the maps or something to make the game more like cod.
I'd say the consoles don't have enough memory to handle the PC 64 player sized maps.

Massa

The Faceless Master said:
the last page of this thread is baffling me. i thought some of the benefits of PC gaming were customizing and choice. a few people seem to be upset about more options, why is that?

Are you saying PC gamers are bitching and whining about BF3 and console peasants? I don't think that's ever happened before.

Don't stress it, you just have to remember that you can always count on a select few people over-owning up to the name "PC Master Race"

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Massa said:
Are you saying PC gamers are bitching and whining about BF3 and console peasants? I don't think that's ever happened before.

I'm surprised by their insistence that k/d is the measure of a good battlefield player. Anyone making such an argument is missing the entire fucking point of these games: it's about teamwork. I'll take a bunch of medics or engineers going 6/12 while contributing in other (more important) ways over some cunty fuck who won't sacrifice their k/d to help defend a flag or repair a vehicle.

It's possible to have good k/d and still be a team player, but the assertion that one cannot make a positive contribution because they're slower on the trigger is such a load of horseshit.

A bad player is a bad player... kb&m or gamepad. But good players find ways to help teams win. That's what makes them good. It's not k/d... it the fucking W's that matter.

Last time I checked kb&m or gamepad didn't make one bit of difference piloting a tank... and I'll take abuC in a tank over any infantryman no matter how god-like his reflexes.

Infantry is important, but it's not the be all end all... especially in battlefield!!!

edit: also... Cuban Legend is awesome in this thread!

J-Rzez

Ysiadmihi said:
I can't take a post seriously that says the device doesn't matter when it comes to a mouse and a gamepad in an FPS game. Sorry : /

Yep, you can't refute what I said like I thought. I feel bad for both the kb/m and controller gamers that are superior to you, and thus you hold their team back.

To make an arrogant statement that you don't want gamepad gamers with you is sad and pathetic, when I'm sure there's many-many players with said input devices that are superior to your skills and would hand you your ass in game. If someone's good, they're good, be it with either device.

damn it reckless, you play on console-BC2-GAF don't you. Otherwise I'm sure we'd have had a hell of a time on BC2 by now.

well here's looking at BF3 to change that. :salute: don't fail me now DICE, GAF needs to be brought together to fight the good fight.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
theoretically, any pc fps supports gamepad and nobody gives a shit. darwinian selection filters them out soon enough.

but giving anyone artificial advantages to bolster their cack-handed aim is not something that should ever exist in a pc fps.

Safe Bet

Banned
ghst said:
gamepad+auto aim players should get their own class, armed only with a hilariously camp "wunderjaeger!" cannon that has a giant phallic blunderbust barrel and an aiming reticle the size of the moon, forced to drag its steam-punk machinery behind their bumbling oaf hides in some kind of improvised mule-cart. with permanent derp eyes.
controller-only servers would be enough for me

Evolved1

Cuban Legend said:
damn it reckless, you play on console-BC2-GAF don't you. Otherwise I'm sure we'd have had a hell of a time on BC2 by now.

well here's looking at BF3 to change that. :salute: don't fail me now DICE, GAF needs to be brought together to fight the good fight.

Yeah... PS3 right now. But I'm getting ready to build a gaming PC. Though, most likely that won't be until the Fall, after my summer classes are over.

I'll be looking you PC guys up when I'm ready to roll... it's fun to read everyone's impressions (from different platforms) in the BC2 thread. I'm really curious to see for myself though how people play/compare to my normal PS3 crew.

Obviously the mouse is more precise and faster... but I just laugh at guys who make the generalization that you need super-reflexes to help your team win in a Battlefield game. I swear to god you could give Faceless a fucking Atari paddle and he'd find a way to annoy the shit out of the opposing team and get wins.

Safe Bet

Banned
recklessmind said:
Obviously the mouse is more precise and faster...
nvm

This is an old disccusion w/ no end because it has to do with preference.

However, I see no problem with providing controller-only servers for those of us who prefer gamepads.

PC Gaming = KB/M Controls is a fallacy

Edit:

I also hope they offer cross-platform play.

No reason why PC-players can't play with Console-Players.

Veitsev

recklessmind said:
I'm surprised by their insistence that k/d is the measure of a good battlefield player.

Who is arguing this? I looked back and couldn't find anyone arguing this

recklessmind said:
but the assertion that one cannot make a positive contribution because they're slower on the trigger is such a load of horseshit.

This too.

Evolved1

Safe Bet said:
yes but keyboards suck ass

It always depends... on the game, the player, what's comfortable, preference.

A lot of it is subjective.

But the fact kb&m is superior vs gamepad in competitive play is not subjective; It's faster and more precise--in that way it's better.

I'll never make an argument to the contrary...

Yet I'll generally choose gamepad over kb&m... unless it's something really twitchy and hyper-competitive. Just my own preference.

ghst said:
theoretically, any pc fps supports gamepad and nobody gives a shit. darwinian selection filters them out soon enough.

but giving anyone artificial advantages to bolster their cack-handed aim is not something that should ever exist in a pc fps.
know what should never exist? random critical hits. but people seem to like that game anyway.

Evolved1

Stallion Free said:
Why any PC gamer would want to limit themselves to 24 players is beyond me.

That's not really what we're discussing here... the conversation is gamepads on the PC version. "Console players" is just what we're calling people who generally play on consoles and would choose to use a pad if playing the PC version.

They should make auto-aim an option for MP. The more options the better.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Yep, you can't refute what I said like I thought. I feel bad for both the kb/m and controller gamers that are superior to you, and thus you hold their team back.

To make an arrogant statement that you don't want gamepad gamers with you is sad and pathetic, when I'm sure there's many-many players with said input devices that are superior to your skills and would hand you your ass in game. If someone's good, they're good, be it with either device.

Don't delude yourself because your feelings have been hurt. Xpadder is cheap and works well, so good gamepad gamers are free to play any number of PC FPS and show their stuff.

Veitsev said:
Thanks. Thats a pretty dumb comment.

Perhaps if I did indeed say k/d was what makes you a good Battlefield player.

Safe Bet

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Why any PC gamer would want to limit themselves to 24 players is beyond me.
They have friends who play the console-version?

They occasionally enjoy playing on smaller maps with lower player-counts?

Menelaus

Banned
recklessmind said:
That's not really what we're discussing here... the conversation is gamepads on the PC version. "Console players" is just what we're calling people who generally play on consoles and would choose to use a pad if playing the PC version.
Funnel your emotions towards locust9 or demize99 on twitter. The M/KB vs Pad argument has no place cluttering this thread up. I can't believe it's already taken up 100 posts worth.

Evolved1

Ysiadmihi said:
Perhaps if I did indeed say k/d was what makes you a good Battlefield player.

Haha damage control. Wouldn't expect you to own up to it...

Menelaus said:
They can double dip. Cross-platform gameplay only works if the features/maps/abilities of the game are identical.
and there's nothing stopping that from being true, they can scale down to the lowest commn denominator during cross platform play.

Veitsev

Reckless and Faceless

1. Do you own gaming PC's?
2. Did you play any of the mainline Battlefield games on a PC in the past?
3. Do you play Bad Company on PC or console?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Man, the PC snobbery in this thread is rampant.

I own a gaming PC, I started playing BF with 1942, I play on PC, PS3, and X360. I consider myself open-minded, and I have enjoyed BC and BC2 immensely. I can't wait for BF3 and I am sure that fans of the series will find something to love (and hate).

Metalmurphy said:
They should make auto-aim an option for MP. The more options the better.
but i thought using a mouse was like auto-aim but better! seriously, unless they do something 10x more invasive than Halo's sticky aiming system, it still won't give a pad user the upper hand.

Ysiadmihi said:
Would you have preferred I said "only 50 points after playing an entire round?"
so, if they boost on a pad, they're being an awesome addition to the team?

The only thing I really want in BF3 is a limited number of players for some classes. Yeah, snipers.

No more than 2-3 on each squad.

That's how real shooters work.

J-Rzez

Ysiadmihi said:
Don't delude yourself because your feelings have been hurt. Xpadder is cheap and works well, so good gamepad gamers are free to play any number of PC FPS and show their stuff.

Facts:
- I have my gaming rig and consoles, I kill people just fine on both kb/m and controller (i use kb/m on my pc)
- Don't down talk people because they decide to play with a controller and that you don't want to game with them as they're a handicap, because I'm positive that kb/m doesn't make you better than those who game with a controller. And I'm sure you'll be a liability to many of them that you game with.

This kb/m vs controller stuff is really tiring anymore, as people can be effective with both, and you, I, or anyone else can be destroyed by someone using "an inferior input device".

Metalmurphy said:
So you played the worst one of them all lol
how did you know i played the Battlefield Play4Free Beta? i never mentioned that in this thread!

DenogginizerOS said:
Man, the PC snobbery in this thread is rampant.

I own a gaming PC, I started playing BF with 1942, I play on PC, PS3, and X360. I consider myself open-minded, and I have enjoyed BC and BC2 immensely. I can't wait for BF3 and I am sure that fans of the series will find something to love (and hate).
that's some fair weather fan sellout talk my man, you should have stuck with BF2 until the true successor appeared!

how did you know i played the Battlefield Play4Free Beta? i never mentioned that in this thread!
Because you didn't? Otherwise you wouldn't say something that stupid.

That one is based on BF2, which is million times superior to Heroes.

Safe Bet said:
itt pc gamers drive console gamers away
more like IRL console gamers shit up BF3 because they bought and liked BC, 1943 and BC2

Metalmurphy said:
Because you didn't? Otherwise you wouldn't say something that stupid.

That one is based on BF2, which is million times superior to Heroes.
a solid base and yet that didn't make it better than Heroes!

what is Rush mode?

I played a little bit of BC2 but it was crappy, other than that i only played 1942 (the best), and BF2 ( good).

more like IRL console gamers shit up BF3 because they bought and liked BC, 1943 and BC2

the reason im still not too excited even after 64 player announcement.

Top Bottom