• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

Man

I just want to know if the headset jack on the controller actually outputs game audio or it's *just* for voice chat. If it's just for voice chat that's disappointing and I hope the PS3 pulse wireless headsets work with the system.
The PS4 will come with a Mono headset so it's both.
Edit: Wait, you mean the actual game audio... In that case I'm betting No. Would be nice though.

jwk94

I just want to know if the headset jack on the controller actually outputs game audio or it's *just* for voice chat. If it's just for voice chat that's disappointing and I hope the PS3 pulse wireless headsets work with the system.

They'll probably make a new headset.

JackEtc

That's GREAT news. I'm a 360 owner, and I never liked the DS3 because the sticks always felt so much looser and less precise.

Was the only real concern I had with the PS4 so far, so I'm really glad to hear this.

Daingurse

- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

family-guy-good-good-o.gif

With these changes I can deal with a symmetrical layout.

blamite

It would be fantastic if it output full game audio. I hate using TV speakers when someone else is playing music and I'm too lazy to get out big headset. Being able to just plug a regular set of headphones into the controller would be a godsend.

Which is weird given how its the most problematic part of the ds3. The dpad was good, the shoulder and face buttons were great. The triggers sucked but it was earshot fix them. The sticks though, so loose, terrible feeling, and symmetrical. The last part is forgivable as preference (obviously I prefer the 360 layout) but the actual feeling of the sticks was truly terrible.

I bought 360 controller to play on pc and I really don't like it, obviously that's mostly because I've been playing with dualshock controller for years, but I have a lot of problem with 360 controller. the biggest issue is shoulder button placement, the bumper. they're hard to reach from my natural finger position which rest on the trigger. than there's the dpad. asymmetrical analog placement, even the analog feel is not to my liking, they're too tight, I need to spend more power even for small aim adjustment, after years of using ds3 where it felt so effortless to do small movement, it's just hard to get used to 360 controller.

I end up buying logitech wireless controller F710 for my pc use. it felt so much better.

El_Chino

I honestly do love the controller but I find this to be not a great reason to stick with symmetrical design. "Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick."

Why so many assumptions asymmetrical stick layout is better? What is the appeal? Last time I checked both my thumbs on my hands were parallel to each other.

Shame about the stick placement, but good to see them acknowledge where it should go. Hopefully the touchpad makes up for it. Great news about the stick tightness and finally fixing the lip on the triggers. Ds3 had so much wrong with it that is finally being addressed. Please use the Vita Dpad.

inner-G

Banned
That micro linen-y texture on the back half of the controller looks grippy and sexy.

A white textured controller could get dirty quick though.

Nothing wrong with symmetrical. You guys need to learn how to adapt. The fault is your hands are too big for the DS3 which Sony is addressing for the DS4.

Get a third party controller if you want Asymmetrical.

Daingurse

Why so many assumptions asymmetrical stick layout is better? What is the appeal? Last time I checked both my thumbs on my hands were parallel to each other.

there is no assumption. It is better, or at least it is for me. The 360 contour's my hands perfectly, the D-pad is the only flaw. I loved the original Xbox Controller S as well. Asymmetrical for me is far more natural and I owned a PS2 before my Xbox.

It's an ergonomic miracle IMO. Makes PC gaming from bed sooooo good.

7a62a.gif

The only thing that saddens me is that I won't be able to use this while playing GTA V come this September. I want the highest standard of comfort when playing that game.

Well most of it sound good. Would have preferred asymmetrical, but as long as they improve the triggers and the analog stick it'll still be a big step up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh the asymmetrical stick crew is here. :sigh

Anyway, I really want to get my hands on this controller. Touchpad I'm kind of neutral on but everything else sounds tuned exactly to my preferences.

there is no assumption. It is better, or at least it is for me. The 360 contour's my hands perfectly, the D-pad is the only flaw. I loved the original Xbox Controller S as well. Asymmetrical for me is far more natural and I owned a PS2 before my Xbox.

It's an ergonomic miracle IMO. Makes PC gaming from the bed sooooo good.

7a62a.gif

Well I respectfully disagree. It's the opposite for me, and I was an original xbox gamer before I ever picked up a PlayStation.

blamite

Basically because your left hand is usually on the analog stick 99.5% of the time in most games, and with the stick on the bottom you have to stretch further to reach it which an be uncomfortable over time. Having the right stick in the lower position isn't as big a deal because you usually move your right thumb up to the face buttons fairly often, and you don't need to have it on the stick all the time anyway.

sense

Sounds almost perfect. Very glad they didn't listen to the people saying DS3 was perfect blegh...can't wait to try it out

ds3 may not have been perfect but i am so so glad they did not make it like an xbox controller. i do not like it and the analog placements made me stop playing on 360. thankfully they are making the right changes.

Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.

Well that ends that argument. Even Sony wanted to change it, but it didn't work with the touchpad.

Edit: guess I'm late to the party lol

I honestly do love the controller but I find this to be not a great reason to stick with symmetrical design. "Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick."

Well the best reason to stick with a symmetrical design is because it's the superior design.

The sticks are the most used part of the controller by far. Why would they not be symmetrical?

Basically because your left hand is usually on the analog stick 99.5% of the time in most games, and with the stick on the bottom you have to stretch further to reach it which an be uncomfortable over time. Having the right stick in the lower position isn't as big a deal because you usually move your right thumb up to the face buttons fairly often, and you don't need to have it on the stick all the time anyway.

Your left hand is on the stick most of the time, just like your right hand. They are the most used part of the controller. They need to be symmetrical.

On the DS3, it wasn't very ergonomically designed for this, but by placing the sticks farther apart and making the handles longer it means the symmetrical design is a natural rest for your hands.

lol it didn't take very long for this to turn into a symmetrical vs asymmetrical war.

Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on this controller.

My biggest issue with the ps3 controller is how fucking sensitive L2 and R2 are. Seriously I just put my controller down for a second and all of a sudden my charecter opens fire or something.

Radec

Here we go again with the symmetrical vs asymmetrical debate on Dualshock!

Everydamntimemichaelbluth.gif

:D

My biggest issue with the ps3 controller is how fucking sensitive L2 and R2 are. Seriously I just put my controller down for a second and all of a sudden my charecter opens fire or something.

This really started to stick out a lot for me while playing Dark Souls today. The slightest touch sets them off.

El_Chino

Well the best reason to stick with a symmetrical design is because it's the superior design.

The sticks are the most used part of the controller by far. Why would they not be symmetrical?

Your left hand is on the stick most of the time, just like your right hand. They are the most used part of the controller. They need to be symmetrical.

On the DS3, it wasn't very ergonomically designed for this, but by placing the sticks farther apart and making the handles longer it means the symmetrical design is a natural rest for your hands.

That's full of opinion right there and the reason why it isn't the superior design, at least to me, is because my thumbs feel like they are constantly bumping into one another. That's very annoying and I feel like some of that will carry over to the PS4.

Top Bottom