• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My biggest issue with the ps3 controller is how fucking sensitive L2 and R2 are. Seriously I just put my controller down for a second and all of a sudden my charecter opens fire or something.

Someone said in an interview that they've tweaked the shape and responsiveness of the triggers for that very reason. It's especially annoying when it starts fast forwarding a movie.

ps3shksn.gif

Lol. That's one of the best gaming .gifs of all time.

big_z

Dpad looks like it angles in too steeply so the edge would rip up your thumb playing a fighter.

I really hope the controller feels closer to holding a GameCube controller. The current dual shock ergonomics are awful.

That's full of opinion right there and the reason why it isn't the superior design, at least to me, is because my thumbs feel like they are constantly bumping into one another. That's very annoying and I feel like some of that will carry over to the PS4.

They've changed the ergonomics to suit a symmetrical layout better with the DS4.

I agree that the DS3's erogomics are not very ideal.

I think you'll find that symmetrical sticks are the better design once you get a DS4 in your hands.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dpad looks like it angles in too steeply so the edge would rip up your thumb playing a fighter.

I really hope the controller feels closer to holding a GameCube controller. The current dual shock ergonomics are awful.

They did say in the article that the d-pad is one of the main things that they're still working on. I bet it'll end up with a bigger version of the Vita pad.

Garryk

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

Wow, they fixed everything I hated about the DS3.

Ryuhza

Banned
Every time I read these threads with people arguing about the Dualshock's stick layout or uncomfortable feel, I have to go find my controller, hold it for a while, wiggling the sticks and pressing the buttons, then tell myself, "No, this is fine."

That's not to say it can't be improved. Fortunately for me, DS4 looks to be doing a smashing job of that, except maybe the sticks, which I'm a little nervous about. Obviously, I won't know until I can hold the controller, but I don't mind loose sticks 'cause I see them as being precise, and I liked the mushroom-top shape of DS past. Still, I'm willing to try new stuff.

They did say in the article that the d-pad is one of the main things that they're still working on. I bet it'll end up with a bigger version of the Vita pad.

Why so much praise for the vita dpad? I really like the DS3 one but haven't used a vita before so I wouldn't know how it compares.

xJavonta

Banned
- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.
Thank you Sony, oh god I want it more after looking at this piece of shit known as the DualShock 3

I also think the controller looks fantastic. It's not ugly at all.

Why so much praise for the vita dpad? I really like the DS3 one but haven't used a vita before so I wouldn't know how it compares.
It's amazing, one of my favorite things about my Vita. Much better than the DS3's dpad and the 3DS dpad.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's very tight, clicky, and smooth. I've only used it a bit at a friend's house but it feels like it has a lot more control than most d-pads. It's a lot better than the loose one on the DS3.

Mikey Jr.

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

Alright

...Alright. My brain has compensated for the deadzone, so I might have to unfuckify my brain a bit.

Ughhh. I LOVED the looser sticks. I could make finer adjustments with them than I could the Xbox.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

Who are these people? Holy shit.

Well, atleast it doesn't have those little bumps lime the Xbox. Hate that shit.

- Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.

Also because it is superior.

Cool. Still seems fucking worthless.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

Nice. Hopefully R1/L1 are still aim/shoot.

- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.

Would have preferred a mic.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.

Nice. People have complained about weight.

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

Da fuk? This is certainly a surprise.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.

Eusis

That's full of opinion right there and the reason why it isn't the superior design, at least to me, is because my thumbs feel like they are constantly bumping into one another. That's very annoying and I feel like some of that will carry over to the PS4.
But at the same time there IS a preference for it among some, and it's why I'm glad we're not seeing homogenization here (and disappointed it took that touch pad to prevent it as it seemingly was going to happen otherwise.)

farisr

There is a mic jack at the bottom of the controller. Just didn't have any mention in the article.

Edit: Oh, I'm guessing you mean, like an actual mic mic, as in you can speak into it without anything connected.

Salaadin

Sounds good but I wont know for sure until I hold one myself. I really want to hold one myself :(

Im also one of those freaks that can play with symmetrical and asymmetrical sticks so Im not bothered one bit by either layout :p

Ryuhza

Banned
yes! I'm starting to think I'm the only one who like the looser stick. not liking 360 stick at all.

I'm in the same boat. I sometimes forget due to internet brainwashing me with opinions, but then I use a 360 controller and remember why I prefer the Dualshock.

farisr

Sounds good but I wont know for sure until I hold one myself. I really want to hold one myself :(

Im also one of those freaks that can play with symmetrical and asymmetrical sticks so Im not bothered one bit by either layout :p

Hey hey, don't call me a freak.

(I have no problems switching between the ps3 and 360 controllers, and find their layouts perfectly comfortable)

2lmGN.gif

People actually thought the DS3 was perfect?

You'd be surprised.

I still think it looks terrible. That screen looks out of place.

This controller really does look like a solid improvement, however I question two things.

1. The Share Button and Options Button - Especially with fighting games there are a lot of "gamers" who button mash, I think they're too close to the D-Pad and face buttons.

2. The touchpad. - Why? Is it just for navigation? Is that really agood idea?

Madness

The fact that Bungie gave tips on it, means it'll be good. They've revolutionized console FPS and controls. This means Destiny will play great. The dualshock has always been the one thing I've hated about playstation. I'd still prefer the xbox 360 controller though, but it seems they really made this dualshock 4 amazing.

xJavonta

Banned

Ughhh. I LOVED the looser sticks. I could make finer adjustments with them than I could the Xbox.

- Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.

Once you got past the enormous deadzone, I suppose so. A great tradeoff.

A lot of people had that issue, because the DS3 was a controller made for people with tiny fucking hands. We're not 6 anymore, give us something to actually fit our hands.

Lol is that a joke? symmetrical sticks are not superior. Not by far. I'll deal since it seems they have made a bunch of other improvements, but if there was an option for asymmetrical I'd take it in a heartbeat. I like to be comfortable while playing games.

If used properly it'll be glorious. We just need clever developers.

R1/L1 is awful for shooting. Why the hell would anyone want to use that over a proper set of triggers?

A mic would have been fucking awful. Picking up every button press and stick movement. FUCK that shit, seriously. It's bad enough we have to hear people breathing through their mic with a shit ton of noise.

Edit: also, wouldn't people that complain about this controller for fighters be using a pad or a stick? If they really care about layouts, you'd think they would invest in a proper controller for it.

-PXG-

I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. The PS4 overall sounds wonderful. It's as if Sony took everything they learned from the PS3 and applied it here.

E3 needs to get here fast.

farisr

You'd be surprised.
2. The touchpad. - Why? Is it just for navigation? Is that really agood idea?

It can be used in gameplay. The inFAMOUS coverage on GI showed some uses, though I don't like them.

1 was to replenish Delsin's smoke powers, you have to press and hold the touchpad at two places (think holding the start and select button at the same time), which just sounds stupid to me.

Another one was doing a swipe up motion flicked an object into the air and then pressing the trigger would shoot it. This one is not as bad as the other one, but still, just seems unnecessary.

I think it may be more for touch-based game support and providing games that use simplified mechanics using the touchpad to appeal to casual gamers.

DocSeuss

Triggers still look like crap, bumpers are too small (I'm a fan of the 360's wraparound upperfingerforbumper, tip for trigger approach), and my busted right hand isn't feeling too wild about the handgrips--they're definitely too small and will require more wrapping around than I'd like.

farisr

FPS developers are still relatively quiet on the triggers. Are some of them still using R1?

I heard the dev say "press R1 to shoot" in the Jimmy Fallon Killzone Shadow Fall demonstration. So it may be the case, unless he misspoke and is used to demoing for ps3 games.

Ryuhza

Banned
R1/L1 is awful for shooting. Why the hell would anyone want to use that over a proper set of triggers?

Smaller buttons. Quicker to press. Most people default their index fingers to L1&R1 anyway.

Having proper triggers doesn't give any real benefit, since few if any shooters make use of analog trigger pressure.

Duffyside

Banned
Still wish they had added shoulder buttons. One brilliant Gaffer even suggested a clickable scroll wheel on each, which sounds better and better the more I think about it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I heard the dev say "press R1 to shoot" in the Jimmy Fallon Killzone Shadow Fall demonstration. So it may be the case, unless he misspoke and is used to demoing for ps3 games.

It could have just been a legacy control scheme leftover from a quick port from KZ3. I'm sure the option will be there for both.

Smaller buttons. Quicker to press. Most people default their index fingers to L1&R1 anyway.

Having proper triggers doesn't give any real benefit, since few if any shooters make use of analog trigger pressure.
Shooting with triggers helps with immersion.

rdrr gnr

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

Alright

...Alright. My brain has compensated for the deadzone, so I might have to unfuckify my brain a bit.

Well, atleast it doesn't have those little bumps lime the Xbox. Hate that shit.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.

Nice. People have complained about weight.

Da fuk? This is certainly a surprise.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.
My thoughts almost exactly. I don't like too much resistance on my sticks.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Woah, the ridge makes it look sturdy.. Hopefully the analog stick doesn't crack the controller if I quick it too quickly.

xJavonta

Banned

That extra millisecond matters that much to people? I guess I'm a casual. I also prefer the larger buttons and maybe I'm weird but my index fingers default to the triggers.

When I use a minigun in games I've noticed that until I'm fully pressed down on the trigger, the gun doesn't "rev up" all the way.

It can be used in gameplay. The inFAMOUS coverage on GI showed some uses, though I don't like them.

1 was to replenish Delsin's smoke powers, you have to press and hold the touchpad at two places (think holding the start and select button at the same time), which just sounds stupid to me.

Another one was doing a swipe up motion flicked an object into the air and then pressing the trigger would shoot it. This one is not as bad as the other one, but still, just seems unnecessary.

I think it may be more for touch-based game support and providing games that use simplified mechanics using the touchpad to appeal to casual gamers.

It sounds interesing I suppose if the controller has some kind of motion/gyro support to make interesting flick games etc, I could come up with some more concepts, but for right now, all I can think about is the Back Touch Pad nonsense from the Vita.

jaypah

I prefer asymmetrical but I've always wondered if I just didn't like how close the sticks were. Ah well, it's not like I hate the PS controller and for anything that uses the dpad it's my go-to. This new controller does look super fucking awesome though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Much slower to press down. That makes it an inferior option to me.
Past the age where I can care about competitiveness in games, I just want to be fully immersed in the game worlds, triggers for shooting feel right. On 360 its common, on ps3 its not. Hopefully better ds4 triggers will lead to it being standard.

No matter what Im Glad they are making the controller bigger I may actually like using it :)

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Everything about it sounds fucking great. I'm a huge fan of the 360 controller, but the DS4 really seems spot on for what I want in a controller.

Top Bottom