• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Evolve (TurtleRock(L4D)/2K, PC/PS4/XB1, CryEn, 4v1 PvP) [Screenshot]

am not interested in next gen at all

then i saw this and was horrified that there was going to be an announcement of a game that would make me say "s**t, that's it, now i'll have to buy a PS4/X1"

luckily, my fears were laid to rest as this type of game doesn't do anything for me (though i have to say i somewhat enjoyed L4D2)

then i saw this and was horrified that there was going to be an announcement of a game that would make me say "s**t, that's it, now i'll have to buy a PS4/X1"

luckily, my fears were laid to rest as this type of game doesn't do anything for me (though i have to say i somewhat enjoyed L4D2)

This has to be the worst post ever.

Bor

Neo Member
I still don't get why you would even reveal your game, if the boxart and one fucking screenshot is all you got to show. Why even announce it. And as far as i'm aware i can't get the gameinformer here in germany. MEH

derFeef

I still don't get why you would even reveal your game, if the boxart and one fucking screenshot is all you got to show. Why even announce it. And as far as i'm aware i can't get the gameinformer here in germany. MEH

You can get the digital edition. Also this is like every gameinformer reveal, welcome.

Loomba

It'll be one of them games where I have no interest in it until it's about a week away from release and then I'll get super hyped about it and buy it on release for me.

jediyoshi

Gotta stretch the hype train, you're throwing marketing time away if you drop a game to an audience that doesn't know it exists.

kinggroin

Banned

Whoa! You dodged a bullet there man.

Dangerously close to having fun.

Yackie

Just read through the article. It sounds like Left 4 Dead (multiplayer co-op survival) + Team Fortress 2 (using different player classes) which are two of my most played games of all time, so I'm definitely excited for this! Its the first game so far to tempt me into getting a next gen console.

Also, in the article it says something about having multiple game modes, and the ability to play by yourself and have AI control the other 3 players on your team, with the option to switch between which player you control. A lot of people are grumbling about it being "another multiplayer game", but it doesn't seem to be strictly multiplayer if you don't want to play it that way. I'm sure more details about the different game modes will come out the closer it gets to release.

KKRT00

this game will only work if the environment is as dense and lush as real life jungle type environment

This, if is the foliage is so lush that is obscures vision, it would be absolutely fantastic.

Its on CryEngine, its a given :)
Stalker moments in Crysis 3 were great, having something similar in big multiplayer environments can be amazing.

Btw the whole description of the game from GI article sounds excellent. I really looking forward to this and i hope that they will work on depth as much as they can.
I really like concept of big environments with wild life that You can exploit for exp or hunting other team.
This game has also big premise to expand in future.

Oh cool Monster...

Oh guns.

Interest level through the floor.

Well, I guess I'll check this out when I see some video footage.

I loved L4D. Hopefully this isnt generic as fuck.

Kinsei

Banned
GameInformer updated with a new video
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/01/08/what-is-evolve.aspx

You can play single player, even as the monster, any amount of players between 1-5.
They're designing it to be infinitely replayable, where no match is the same.

Being stealthy and trying to survive long enough to become a walking death machine when you play as a monster sounds really cool.

I really need to keep my expectations in check because we haven't seen gameplay footage, but this game just keeps sounding better and better as more news comes out.

Guy.brush

Not sure if posted yet: An artist from TurtleRock said that the backcover is basically an in-engine game shot with some minor touchups.

Fun fact: We actually built all of that back cover in CryEngine and did a little bit of compositing and touchup in photoshop for the final. Was pretty cool to fly the camera through the frame and show coworkers that it was all game assets and nice lighting.
I'm pretty happy that our game art can go toe to toe with concept art for a magazine cover Can't wait until you guys can get your hands on it.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129789

Wensih

Fortunately, this has a single-player component. I wouldn't buy it if it was MP-only... but this DOES have a SP component. So I'm intrigued. Would rather co-op against an AI boss, personally, when playing MP.

That's some good news. I know the game is more MP focused but at least they're throwing us a bone.

Is it just me or does this game sounds like it could've actually used the Wii U gamepad effectively?

Have the monster person use the gamepad so they can have their own view of things etc. have other players using wii motes and controllers

Granted no way was it happening with that install base

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure

Why the doubt?

If they expand upon the foundation of L4D, and the wildlife, environments, classes, and weapons are as diverse as they say, and the EcoSytem Simulation is up to par, there is no reason why matches should be the same.

Left 4 Dead was one of the 2 defining online game experiences of the last generation for me and my friends. This news has me incredibly hyped. I am perfectly happy to throw down a preorder and buy this at full price and support the crap out of it in any way I can.

Next up, we need a spiritual sequel to Red Faction Guerilla with awesome Siege mode multiplayer, then the two best MP games of last gen will be reborn.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure

What? when you play L4D in SP a lot of stuff is completely random, ammo positions, health packs, zombie hordes or the tanks, hunters etc. is all random generated, you never know when a witch is sitting on the floor for example.

Quentyn

More screenshots, concept art and details about the Goliath:

evolve_-_goliathvmarkov_fire.jpg

“We knew we wanted him to be the first monster that would ever be revealed, and the first monster that players would have access to, and the first one the media would see,” says Turtle Rock Studios head Chris Ashton. “So we wanted it to be recognizable and not too weird.”

The Goliath is their jack-of-all trades, a bipedal powerhouse who crouches into a simian sprint and maintains his balance with a spiked tail. Even in his smallest form, he’s intimidating; at stage one he’s about 10 feet tall, and he only gets taller with each of this three evolutionary forms. “If he stood fully up, he’d be in the 30s,” says character modeler Brandon Yanez. “He’s really big.”

Even though he does have a recognizable form factor, you probably won’t be looking at his back for a zipper. “We didn’t want him to feel like a dude in a costume, we wanted him to feel as believable as possible, and that transcends into a lot of our theory,” says Yanez. “We exaggerate stuff as long as it feels believable.

“It’s not like a Silent Hill kind of horror, but it’s more of a James Cameron, Aliens style, where it just looks cool.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...preview-meet-the-goliath.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

I hadn't realized prior to this article that there would be multiple monsters available to play as. While I hate crappy DLC implementation, this seems like the kind of game that could build additional monster types based on fan feedback. I know that the guys at TurtleRock wwre excellent about fan communication with L4D, so hopefully they can keep that up with Evolve.

My hype for this is higher than any other game I can think of.

Top Bottom