• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May 2012 Cover revealed: Halo 4

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thats just...I mean...Its crazy. That right there is some of the best looking graphics I have ever seen and I still have hard time believing you are telling the truth (which just shows how fucking good job you guys done).

It's a small gif. It is absolutely representative of the game engine, but gifs are not representative of a TV experience. The actual graphics will get picked apart as is par for the course with any release.

But yes, I am very happy about the way it looks.

S1kkZ

It's a small gif. It is absolutely representative of the game engine, but gifs are not representative of a TV experience. The actual graphics will get picked apart as is par for the course with any release.

is there any chance we might get new video material before e3?

feel

These last pages taught me that the most important thing in video games is graphics

GRAFFIX ALL DA WAY
Going by the small glimpses on the vidoc, gameplay wise it's looking like it's going to be Reach 2.0 instead of Halo 4.0, so yes, graphics (and story and music) are all that's left to be hyped about for now.

daedalius

Going by the small glimpses on the vidoc, gameplay wise it's looking like it's going to be Reach 2.0 instead of Halo 4.0, so yes, graphics (and story and music) are all that's left to be hyped about for now.

Why is that?

Movement and strafe speed look way more like Halo 2 than Reach, not to mention we have a 2x no spread hit-scan BR; which is basically the BR from Halo 2.

If grenades aren't nuclear devices; seems like the game will play much more like Halo 2 did than Reach.

DarkChild

Banned

I understand that, but I was very impressed how those small glimpses of SP (MC actually) looked like, not just that part. I like the fact that now metal looks like actual metal when lighting hits it, in Bungie engines it always seemed a bit dull. Lighting in those sections looks like something out of Cryengine 3 which I think you guys should be proud of.

feel

Why is that?

Movement and strafe speed look way more like Halo 2 than Reach, not to mention we have a 2x no spread hit-scan BR; which is basically the BR from Halo 2.

If grenades aren't nuclear devices; seems like the game will play much more like Halo 2 did than Reach.
Maybe in that one playlist by MLG where they remove sprint, jetpacks and the bunch of hilarious unlockables they certainly have planned for the other 95% of the playlists.

kylej

Banned
Those frames are taken straight from a game session. From very early, unpolished code. The game runs at native 720p. Those are the in-game shadows. There is no DOF in those frames. And the DOF is also an in-engine effect that will be used more subtly in 'normal' action. The gif's only 'trickery' is a detached camera -something the player can do in saved films anyway.

frame rate?

daedalius

Maybe in that one playlist by MLG where they remove sprint, jetpacks and the bunch of hilarious unlockables they certainly have planned for the other 95% of the playlists.

meh, guess we'll know soon enough.

Sprint wasn't going to go anywhere; but I'm hopeful we won't have any crap like jetpacks or armor lock, at least not on spawn anyway.

KageMaru

I only hope we see some campaign shots. I'm concerned they may have scaled down the scope from Reach to produce better graphics.

So what is trolling exactly, is it saying your tired of Halo and hoping for something new, saying this reveal didn't meet the hype because this was the theme yet they're being called haters, salty whatever, it's like you're suggestion there's a legion of people trolling the game, but that's not true.

Or maybe it's just a few standouts, like 3 people maybe, if so I'm surprised they weren't called out.

Are you going to ask me to start listing quotes? =p

Joking aside, how can people say the reveal didn't meet the hype when we haven't even seen the material that was being hyped up? That is exactly the type of ignorance or trolling (however way you care to look at it) I'm talking about. To discount or downplay something before even seeing it is more than just expressing an opinion or disappointment.

Besides, if anyone was hyped, interested, or looking forward to this reveal, they would have visited the other thread which listed Halo 4 as one of the possibilities, along with Crytek's next game and possibly GoW4. So maybe they should have kept this possibility in mind while getting pumped or excited.

Again there's a difference between "This blows, I was hoping it would be GoW4, not Halo!" and "We've seen enough of this game, hype failed!!!". One is expressing disappointment, the other is expressing pure ignorance.

Grisby

I wonder if Cortana can now project herself as large as the Chief. I think she did it in Legends. I know its probably just the angle but that was the first thought that came to mind.
well, why deviate from One of the Greatest FPS Games of All Time?
I'm a big provocateur for change but I gotta agree. The Halo experience is my favorite FPS deal of alllll time. I just hope 343 takes some risks in other areas.

Overdoziz

Banned
They showed like maybe 5 to 10 seconds of mp...which of course looks to play like Halo because it is indeed Halo.

Give them time, sure we will see interesting things in the following months.
It doesn't look like it plays like Halo, it looks like it plays like Halo Reach. I'm not judging the final game, only what we've seen and heard so far. And so far we've seen sprint, hints of loadouts, the jetpack, and 'perks'. The only thing I did like was the fact that players seemed to be more agile than in Reach. Aside from that I didn't like what I saw.

Trey

I'm a big provocateur for change but I gotta agree. The Halo experience is my favorite FPS deal of alllll time. I just hope 343 takes some risks in other areas.

lol

I agree with you, but he doesn't agree with us. At least not at face value.

PnCIa

Those frames are taken straight from a game session. From very early, unpolished code. The game runs at native 720p. Those are the in-game shadows. There is no DOF in those frames. And the DOF is also an in-engine effect that will be used more subtly in 'normal' action. The gif's only 'trickery' is a detached camera -something the player can do in saved films anyway.
Oh that´s great :)
So, we will get those shadows when there are 10 characters models on screen? Halo 3´s announcement trailer looked awesome, and it was all in engine. The game unfortunately didn´t look like that. I wonder what "settings" they ran the reveal mp gameplay on...

Overdoziz

Banned
Oh that´s great :)
So, we will get those shadows when there are 10 characters models on screen? Halo 3´s announcement trailer looked awesome, and it was all in engine. The game unfortunately didn´t look like that. I wonder what "settings" they ran the reveal mp gameplay on...
That Halo 3 trailer wasn't "straight from a game session" though.

dancmc

I am still hoping that MS is pulling a rope-a-dope and drops a 2012 release date for the NextBox on us at E3 and that Halo4 will be a launch title:).....silling

I only hope we see some campaign shots. I'm concerned they may have scaled down the scope from Reach to produce better graphics.

Are you going to ask me to start listing quotes? =p

Joking aside, how can people say the reveal didn't meet the hype when we haven't even seen the material that was being hyped up? That is exactly the type of ignorance or trolling (however way you care to look at it) I'm talking about. To discount or downplay something before even seeing it is more than just expressing an opinion or disappointment.

Besides, if anyone was hyped, interested, or looking forward to this reveal, they would have visited the other thread which listed Halo 4 as one of the possibilities, along with Crytek's next game and possibly GoW4. So maybe they should have kept this possibility in mind while getting pumped or excited.

Again there's a difference between "This blows, I was hoping it would be GoW4, not Halo!" and "We've seen enough of this game, hype failed!!!". One is expressing disappointment, the other is expressing pure ignorance.
Not everyone is going to be as prepared for a reveal as some other people.

Even the first reaction that you find acceptable needlessly riled up fans in the thread.

DarkChild

Banned
There will always be people who are pissed off. If it was Crysis 3 people would say "too early" "they should have waited for ng" if it was GOWIV it would be "again?" "I hate hack and slash" "booring" etc. There will never be happy people since they cant pick 20 cover stories but one, so those "19" left get a bit pissy.

PnCIa

That Halo 3 trailer wasn't "straight from a game session" though.
That is true. However, if i were a developer i would beautify the first images my fans get to see. Quite simple, i would up my shadow resolution for such a shot when i can do it. Same goes for the DOF that was added to make things stick out.

JonCha

It doesn't look like it plays like Halo, it looks like it plays like Halo Reach. I'm not judging the final game, only what we've seen and heard so far. And so far we've seen sprint, hints of loadouts, the jetpack, and 'perks'. The only thing I did like was the fact that players seemed to be more agile than in Reach. Aside from that I didn't like what I saw.

Sprint is in. Hitscan BR is in. There's greater customisation. Audio is reworked. That's all that's been revealed.

TheOddOne

:O

:p

There will always be people who are pissed off. If it was Crysis 3 people would say "too early" "they should have waited for ng" if it was GOWIV it would be "again?" "I hate hack and slash" "booring" etc. There will never be happy people since they cant pick 20 cover stories but one, so those "19" left get a bit pissy.

Still, I really don't understand the negative reaction here. GI staff weren't hyping a big reveal, they were just saying that the screens look jaw-dropping and that the cover looks great if you're into the source material. I have no idea why people were expecting something that hasn't been revealed yet.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Still, I really don't understand the negative reaction here. GI staff weren't hyping a big reveal, they were just saying that the screens look jaw-dropping and that the cover looks great if you're into the source material. I have no idea why people were expecting something that hasn't been revealed yet.

Everyone feels like they have to be pleased by others.

TheOddOne

Even the first reaction that you find acceptable needlessly riled up fans in the thread.
I for one am still baffled that your still going on about this.

First off, possible reveals where listed in the first post. If was going to be one of those, the fact that it was one that wasn’t the one that they wanted doesn’t take away that people reacted poorly. You set yourself up for disappointment, it was not like there was no possibility that it wasn’t Halo 4. The argument that they were not well prepared is just flaky, because if they wished it was something else they were clearly following the thread.

Secondly, if it where some other game, would the reaction be the same? Imagine if it was God of War 4, would you defend people that said that is should not have gotten the cover? What if I went in the thread and had gone “Omg another God of War boring”, while knowing that the thread spelled out “God of War 4”. It would be piss poor then and is still piss poor now.

I hope we get to see this environment in action:

xo72I.jpg
Man, I am completely opposite on this. I was very disappointed by Halo 2's graphics and I thought Halo 3 was fantastic graphically. Maybe disappointed is a strong word for Halo 2's graphics, but I don't remember loving it's look at the time it came out.

Halo Reach had some great bits too it, greatly improved faces and glorious effects, but nothing in it really blew me away in it.

Eh, I think Halo 2 was a great looking game with a fantastic art direction.. it just feels a lot more inspired than what came out of Halo 3, which day 1 looked dated IMO. I agree, Reach did really improve graphically, but very few parts stand out as much as they should. It often times just lacks the ambiance and atmosphere that other games seem to nail and falls flat. That said, it is still a very good looking game.

They should make a stealth/shooter Crysis style combo game where you play as Arbiter dispensing judgement on heathens.

I'd buy an Xbox for that.

Hah, joking aside I would lover for an Arbiter centric game.

KageMaru

That would still make these people ignorant since Halo 4 was listed as one of the possibilities. It was listed in the first original post of the thread, how do you not be prepared when it's right there for all to see? You're trying to make excuses for actions that have no excuse.

Also, on the flip side, some people were riled up over some acceptable posts, I agree. I really don't blame them though for how much trolling that goes on in a typical Halo thread.

First off, possible reveals where listed in the first post. If was going to be one of those, the fact that it was one that wasn’t the one that they wanted doesn’t take away that people reacted poorly. You set yourself up for disappointment, it was not like there was no possibility that it wasn’t Halo 4. The argument that they were not well prepared is just flaky, because if they wished it was something else they were clearly following the thread.

Secondly, if it where some other game, would the reaction be the same? Imagine if it was God of War 4, would you defend people that said that is should not have gotten the cover? What if I went in the thread and had gone “Omg another God of War boring”, while knowing that the thread spelled out “God of War 4”. It would be piss poor then and is still piss poor now.

Exactly this.

I never troll games, the worst I've done lately is called the Kinect star wars game garbage. However when/if GoW4 is revealed, I'll have to make sure to post about how we've had so many God of War games, I don't want another one, and why couldn't they develop a new IP. Here's hoping upJTboogie comes to my defense there as well. =p

I am baffled people are seemingly trying to rationalize the poor overly defensive posts in the thread as well, we could just say a lot of the fans acted very poorly and childish initially and move on. People just didn't like that they couldn't be excited for H4 in peace, no negativity allowed.

I don't see how knowing it was a possibility means you can't be underwhelmed by the reveal. People get hyped and disappointed all the time.

People already do that with God of War, I've been in a lot of GOW4 rumor threads, it's common.

monome

Has frankie redeemed thr thread?
Can we start rememvering we ve seen halo 4, that sp will look better and the tiny bits we ve had were delicious?
Halo 4 won t break the uncanny valley.

Ramirez

You've completely broke the game down to a science in less than 30 seconds of footage, well done.

Dabanton

Hopefully the Chief moves as sprightly as Nomad and Alcatraz in Crysis. I think that got the balance right between a guy in a heavy suit who still has extraordinary reflexes and speed.

Overdoziz

Banned
You've completely broke the game down to a science in less than 30 seconds of footage, well done.
What? I explicitly said I'm not judging the final product. I'm simply outing my concerns over the fact that from what is shown so far makes it look like they're going into directions I don't want them to go. Maybe I'm completely wrong (I hope so), but as it is right now I'm not that exciting about Halo 4's MP.

TheOddOne

I am baffled people are seemingly trying to rationalize the poor overly defensive posts in the thread as well, we could just say a lot of the fans acted very poorly and childish initially and move on. People just didn't like that they couldn't be excited for H4 in peace, no negativity allowed.

I don't see how knowing it was a possibility means you can't be underwhelmed by the reveal. People get hyped and disappointed all the time.

People already do that with God of War, I've been in a lot of GOW4 rumor threads, it's common.
First, the fact that people have know that Halo 4 was coming out since 2010 just makes no sense to let people troll like the way they did. For fans it was baffling that people still entered the thread to troll the game. For first reveals, I get it, there are some who will do their usual thing. But for something know this long c‘mon.

Secondly, the thread was about a cover reveal. See my above post you quoted. It‘s piss poor how people reacted. I still have to hear your point about this.

Thirdly, it’s annoying that you lump up all the fans as childish and immature. While anybody who says anything negative is seen as giving critique. People who use bait-and-switch tactics are terrible and I am surprised you are sticking up for that group. You have to accept that people will be critical, of course, but if you back that up people will discuss it with you. At the same time you also have to accept that people will not agree with you. Just because people do not agree with you doesn‘t mean they are batshit insane Halo loyalist.

First, the fact that people have know that Halo 4 was coming out since 2010 just makes no sense to let people troll like the way they did. For fans it was baffling that people still entered the thread to troll the game. For first reveals, I get it, there are some who will do their usual thing. But for something know this long c‘mon.

Secondly, the thread was about a cover reveal. See my above post you quoted. It‘s piss poor how people reacted. I still have to hear your point about this.

Thirdly, it’s annoying that you lump up all the fans as childish and immature. While anybody who says anything negative is seen as giving critique. People who use bait-and-switch tactics are terrible and I am surprised you are sticking up for that group. You have to accept that people will be critical, of course, but if you back that up people will discuss it with you. At the same time you also have to accept that people will not agree with you. Just because people do not agree with you doesn‘t mean they are batshit insane Halo loyalist.
This is where we disagree, I don't believe the initial posts were trolling.

How are people supposed to act in a cover reveal and what was the difference between what you expect and how they reacted that make the reactions piss poor?

How could you come to the conclusion that I'm lumping them all together when I've said a lot and not all fans? I've already conceded that a few can be trolls as well but most was nothing out of the ordinary for this thread.

Top Bottom