• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May 2012 Cover revealed: Halo 4

Overdoziz

Banned
ibbXzPqIWjPk6d.gif

wwm0nkey

Rumored GI info (its probably legit)

Spartan Points

-Spartan Points is the new currency system in Halo 4. They will buy things such as armor, armor abilities, Spartan Ops missions (see below), and some

Spartan Ops

-This was probably my most favorite addition I saw. From how it was described, think fo Spartan Ops like Spec Ops from Modern Warfare but with a storyline. They will span out over several months, encouraging players to return to the game. Game Informer said that Spartan Ops will be comparable in scope and size to the in single-player storyline.

Why Reds Fight Blues

-I think most of us probably guessed this, but reds fight blues and blues fight reds for training purposes. They fight in something called the UNSC Infinity. The UNSC Infinity is a 3km long ship sent into deep space on a mission. It contains a virtual reality sector that creates the multiplayer experience.

Sprint

-So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what. So essentially, you can have two armor abilities.

Forerunner Vision

-Ever wanted to be super man? Now you can! See through walls with your x-ray vision! I can't say I hate this armor ability, I haven't used it yet. I'm hoping it comes with its weaknesses and it discourages camping. Sorry guys, but camping in Halo 4 will not be a legitimate tactic.

Returning Armor Abilities

-The hologram, jetpack, and active camo will make a return in Halo 4. It didn't elaborate on the abilities, but you can probably assume they'll be about the same.

Elites Not Returning to Multiplayer

-Not much detail was given as to why elites will not see multiplayer combat, it was stated in a picture caption. The caption reads, "Competitive multiplayer focues on the Spartan IVs. Elites will not be playable.

Grenades

-Now the article itself did not talk about grenades, but I noticed in the picture the Spartan had 4 grenade options. I assume the plasma grenade will return as seen from an explosion in the picture and the frag grenade will most definitely return as seen by the Halo 4 first look video.

Firefight

-Once again, no explanation why aside from a picture caption. The caption read, "Halo 4's campaign is still playable with four players online (in reference to Sparan Ops, ensuring players that Spartan Ops will not replace the campaign coop experience). 343 Industries has no plans to include a dedicated Firefight mode. I'm torn on this, I don't normally play firefight, but I feel like it is a standard necessary feature in the game after Halo 3: ODST introduced it.

Regicide

-Regicide is a variation of free for all. I think it's similar to VIP. Regicide, as stated by the article, "sets the leading scorer as the king. Every opponent that the king kills raises his bounty; other players have to kill the king to claim the reward."

Distraction and Revenge Medals

-Don't feel bad anymore for not killing a single person in the game, you can get a medal for being a distraction! Oh, you just got killed and now you're raging at that player? Calm down and get rewarded for hunting down the guy that just killed you!

Let me make it clear that I do not necessarily see these medals as bad. They just may reward people that don't actually deserve one.

No More Weapon Camping

-One the skills that separated veteran players from inexperienced players was the ability to time power weapons' spawns. In Halo 4, this will be near impossible. Weapons drop down in drop pods at random locations around the map. Quoted from the article, "This gives the matches other focal points, and it also helps alleviate the advantage longtime players always used to have over newer recruits; the best weapons are not always going to be found at the same spawn locations." Unless there is a distinguishable skill gap between players, I most definitely do not like this idea.

No More Respawn Delay

-Immediately after you die, by tapping the X button you are sent back into the match. Now let's contemplate why this might be bad. Let's say Halo spawns are... not so great. A skilled player out BRs/DMRs/whatevers a unskilled player. Now that unskilled player can immediately respawn and find you before your shields even regenerate! I understand 343 is trying to speed up the game, but they must understand the consequences of instant spawns.

Joining In-Progress Games

-So to solve the quitting problem, 343 implemented the ability to join games that are in-progress. My question is are we going to have the ability to search for games starting up instead? It infuriates me to join a game at the last possible second, not even offering me the chance to play.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
First impression on rumored info: totally awful. Hope it's a hoax.

TUROK

I don't mind the lack of Firefight after Reach's lackluster handling of it, but being able to join mid-match is going to fuck things up. There better be an option that makes it so people can opt out of joining matches that already started.

Also, I never like the whole weapon camping, so I'm totally fine with the drop pod idea.

Assuming this is true, I'm glad 343i isn't afraid of changing the mold that Bungie set.

JimiNutz

Banned
Weapon drops could be cool...

Means people won't camp power weapon areas and means that there may be frantic rushes to weapon drops rather than people just fighting around one or two points on the map.

I know im in the minority here but I think it could work.

Really disappointed about the armor abilities though.
Sprint is fine but dont won't any of the others.

Korosenai

Sprint

-So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what. So essentially, you can have two armor abilities.

Forerunner Vision

-Ever wanted to be super man? Now you can! See through walls with your x-ray vision! I can't say I hate this armor ability, I haven't used it yet. I'm hoping it comes with its weaknesses and it discourages camping. Sorry guys, but camping in Halo 4 will not be a legitimate tactic.

-The hologram, jetpack, and active camo will make a return in Halo 4. It didn't elaborate on the abilities, but you can probably assume they'll be about the same.

No More Respawn Delay

-Immediately after you die, by tapping the X button you are sent back into the match. Now let's contemplate why this might be bad. Let's say Halo spawns are... not so great. A skilled player out BRs/DMRs/whatevers a unskilled player. Now that unskilled player can immediately respawn and find you before your shields even regenerate! I understand 343 is trying to speed up the game, but they must understand the consequences of instant spawns.

-So to solve the quitting problem, 343 implemented the ability to join games that are in-progress. My question is are we going to have the ability to search for games starting up instead? It infuriates me to join a game at the last possible second, not even offering me the chance to play.

dawson_crying.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Spartan Points - terrible name

Spartan Ops - terrible name, possibly a good replacement for firefight

Why Reds Fight Blues - expected

Sprint - expected and good news IMO

Forerunner Vision - abso-fucking-lutely insanely terrible sounding.

Returning Armor Abilities - i'm ok with as long as they are nerfed a bit (aside from hologram)

No More Weapon Camping - undecided. may be a nice change of pace

No More Respawn Delay - what? sounds BAAAAD

Joining In-Progress Games - ok. joining a match at the end is better then playing on a team alone. though i hope there is a way to deter quitting more so then halo has ever done before...

Presco

WTF.

Spartan Ops sounds like an interesting concept but it won't matter for shit if they are implementing even half of the stuff that is mentioned in that summary. Heading further down the cod path is not where Halo multiplayer should be going. God, I thought Reach would just be a bump in the road for the franchise. Please be fake.

And so begins the crying stemming from people unable to adapt to change.
It's not adapting to change, it's change that's bad. Something like random weapon dropping is anti-competitive by its very nature. Assumin' it's true and whatnot. I'd prefer a pared down Halo experience personally, something that focuses on Halo's cores again instead of adding change for the sake of it.

Waiting to hear more detail on this stuff first.

Something like random weapon dropping is anti-competitive by its very nature.

I don't understand that. It gives a new element of strategy--constantly restructuring your plan and thinking immediately. I am tired of the same two team members waiting for the shotgun to respond in its only location.

scarybore

Holy shit those elite model look badass!!!! Wink wink *redacted*.

Not very subtle lol :p

Can't say I like the Elite armour, especially the one with no armour on the arms as it gives me that GoW3 summer armour collection vibe that made little sense to me. The texturing is pretty good though. A shame that Elites won't be in multiplayer but Bungie never quite got it to work after 3 games imo so I understand removing it.

Still can't say I have seen any armour configuration in the game that I like yet, I don't like the changes to the Chief and the Spartan IV's aren't doing anything for me.

Most of this sounds really good. Phew. I was scared after I read some of the Dawson-crying images and comments here. I always liked the armor abilities, and I am glad Armor Lock doesn't seem to be returning. Spartan Ops sounds really great, too, as regicide and no more waiting to spawn back.

GOOD:

Rumored GI info (its probably legit)

Spartan Points

-Spartan Points is the new currency system in Halo 4. They will buy things such as armor, armor abilities, Spartan Ops missions (see below), and some

Spartan Ops

-This was probably my most favorite addition I saw. From how it was described, think fo Spartan Ops like Spec Ops from Modern Warfare but with a storyline. They will span out over several months, encouraging players to return to the game. Game Informer said that Spartan Ops will be comparable in scope and size to the in single-player storyline.

Why Reds Fight Blues

-I think most of us probably guessed this, but reds fight blues and blues fight reds for training purposes. They fight in something called the UNSC Infinity. The UNSC Infinity is a 3km long ship sent into deep space on a mission. It contains a virtual reality sector that creates the multiplayer experience.

Sprint

Forerunner Vision

-Not much detail was given as to why elites will not see multiplayer combat, it was stated in a picture caption. The caption reads, "Competitive multiplayer focues on the Spartan IVs. Elites will not be playable.

Grenades

-Now the article itself did not talk about grenades, but I noticed in the picture the Spartan had 4 grenade options. I assume the plasma grenade will return as seen from an explosion in the picture and the frag grenade will most definitely return as seen by the Halo 4 first look video.

Regicide

-Regicide is a variation of free for all. I think it's similar to VIP. Regicide, as stated by the article, "sets the leading scorer as the king. Every opponent that the king kills raises his bounty; other players have to kill the king to claim the reward."

Distraction and Revenge Medals

-Don't feel bad anymore for not killing a single person in the game, you can get a medal for being a distraction! Oh, you just got killed and now you're raging at that player? Calm down and get rewarded for hunting down the guy that just killed you!

Let me make it clear that I do not necessarily see these medals as bad. They just may reward people that don't actually deserve one.

No More Weapon Camping

-One the skills that separated veteran players from inexperienced players was the ability to time power weapons' spawns. In Halo 4, this will be near impossible. Weapons drop down in drop pods at random locations around the map. Quoted from the article, "This gives the matches other focal points, and it also helps alleviate the advantage longtime players always used to have over newer recruits; the best weapons are not always going to be found at the same spawn locations." Unless there is a distinguishable skill gap between players, I most definitely do not like this idea.

No More Respawn Delay

BAD:
Firefight

-Once again, no explanation why aside from a picture caption. The caption read, "Halo 4's campaign is still playable with four players online (in reference to Sparan Ops, ensuring players that Spartan Ops will not replace the campaign coop experience). 343 Industries has no plans to include a dedicated Firefight mode. I'm torn on this, I don't normally play firefight, but I feel like it is a standard necessary feature in the game after Halo 3: ODST introduced it.

GhaleonEB

I was glad to read this. Elites vs. Spartans has always caused issues and taken away from the game more than it added.

It is my hope never to join a game in progress. I would be surprised if I could not have a setting to establish this preference, though, or have it confined to specific playlists.

Sean

Banned
I'm not sure about the random weapon drop stuff. It was kind of annoying that every match would turn into a race to who can get to the power weapons first, but making it random is not going to fix anything.

Seems like it has the potential to make things much more frustrating, as now a certain team can luck into the power weapons spawning near them rather than actually "earning" it.

Presco

Here comes the nitpicking. All of the above sounds fine, if it's even true.

At least there's no mention of Armor Lock.

What sounds good about X-Ray vision? What sounds good about instant respawns? What sounds good about randomized weapon spawns?

I'm holding out hope that there's other options and that this stuff is limited to a playlist where all the current Grifball and Zombie players can hang out.

I don't understand that. It gives a new element of strategy--constantly restructuring your plan and thinking immediately. I am tired of the same two team members waiting for the shotgun to respond in its only location.
On the otherhand giving the opposing team a huge advantage because a random power weapon happened to fall on their side sounds pretty dumb. Or if there's a lengthy telegraphing of it beforehand it'll serve to merely dumb down the map control aspect.

Though like I said, I'll wait for more info. I can only speculate for now.

Alright, so... we're not fighting the Covenant as such, makes sense after Halo 3, but what are the chances of the game focusing on some of the same enemies sans the whole Covenant angle? I mean... you don't just drop the best enemies in video gaming.

Tzeentch

Spartan Points: Oh boy. Because the credit system from Reach was SOOO AWESOMEEE. :/

Spartan Ops: Sounds cool. I suspect it's a DLC ploy though.

Why Reds Fight Blues: LOL this is all they could come up with? Just don't bother explaining it.

Sprint: Hm ok I guess. It was a bit wierd compared to other FPS games and it never really added to the "walking tank" feel that supposedly was why they did it like that.

Forerunner Vision: ... uhhhhh ... okkkaaayyy. Giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Returning Armor Abilities: Eh. Whatever. Halo 1 and 2 were just fine without these kinds of gimmicks.

Elites Not Returning to Multiplayer: Don't care honestly.

Grenades: Don't care. It will be like Halo 3 where the gimmick ones are forgotten about. I'm sure the developers think it's groundbreaking stuff though.

Firefight: Well that's a dealbreaker. Sorry.

Regicide: Whatever.

Distraction and Revenge Medals: Meaningless pity medals? Do you get tons of SPARTAN POINTS (TM)(C) so we can afk through games to snag some?

No More Weapon Camping: Terrible idea as described that should have been laughed out of design committee. Can't wait to see other awesome innovations in randomness.

No More Respawn Delay: Sounds ok at first glance. I never really minded the wait though.

Joining In-Progress Games: HAHAHAHA oh boy. Now we can have people quit and poor slobs come in and more people quit ... And of course if you end up in a terrible lopsided game you, as the fool who joined in, will get punished if you want to bail.

jediyoshi

Spartan Points: Oh boy. Because the credit system from Reach was SOOO AWESOMEEE. :/

Spartan Ops: Sounds cool. I suspect it's a DLC ploy though.

Why Reds Fight Blues: LOL this is all they could come up with? Just don't bother explaining it.

Sprint: Hm ok I guess. It was a bit wierd compared to other FPS games and it never really added to the "walking tank" feel that supposedly was why they did it like that.

Forerunner Vision: ... uhhhhh ... okkkaaayyy. Giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Returning Armor Abilities: Eh. Whatever. Halo 1 and 2 were just fine without these kinds of gimmicks.

Elites Not Returning to Multiplayer: Don't care honestly.

Grenades: Don't care. It will be like Halo 3 where the gimmick ones are forgotten about. I'm sure the developers think it's groundbreaking stuff though.

Firefight: Well that's a dealbreaker. Sorry.

Regicide: Whatever.

Distraction and Revenge Medals: Meaningless pity medals? Do you get tons of SPARTAN POINTS (TM)(C) so we can afk through games to snag some?

No More Weapon Camping: Terrible idea as described that should have been laughed out of design committee. Can't wait to see other awesome innovations in randomness.

No More Respawn Delay: Sounds ok at first glance. I never really minded the wait though.

Joining In-Progress Games: HAHAHAHA oh boy. Now we can have people quit and poor slobs come in and more people quit ... And of course if you end up in a terrible lopsided game you, as the fool who joined in, will get punished if you want to bail.

Good thing you're approaching this with an open mind.

Top Bottom