• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

Relaxed Muscle said:
Wow Ahsley new look reminds me this:

5Vl7m.jpg

I think I need a new playthrough on ME2...

Claudia...

Sai

I just saw Ashley. That better be casual wear only, 'cause that look wouldn't suit her at all otherwise.

Love the news about the bigger skill trees, weapons mods, and loadouts. The description of weapons mods was actually what I first expected from ME2 when we first heard about it. Needless to say, the end result was kind of disappointing. :p

I'm glad they aren't allowing all of your squadmates to use every single weapon, nice compromise between ME1 and 2. You could use everything in ME1, but unless you were a Soldier, you could only do any decent damage with weapons your class specialized in. Seems like you'll be able to choose which weapons to specialize, with the only difference between the classes' loadouts being how many weapons you can carry. Me like.

I bet Bioware is just trolling with Ashley's redesign and decided to make her a space-Westboro baptist or something.

Still not sad I blew her off in ME1 AND ME2. Space-boobs ftw. Although I'm curious how Liara deals with my Miranda-affair after shadow broker and becoming a party member again in ME3. I'll guess I'm picking Liara again because Miranda
is infertile

Liara is really a dissapointment that is being confirmed as squadmate, after Shadow Broker I find that new role suite her better and now Bioware is wasting a slot in her....

Flipyap

Kitschkraft said:
The breast are a bit much, but everything else makes sense. In ME3's timeline, I'm assuming that it will be like 4 years since they first met. It's not unreasonable to assume she has switched up her look.
Dropped the whole military schtick, got implants, dyed her hair, eyebrows, etc., started doing tricks on Tuchanka to pay for her drug habit...
A lot can happen in those four years.

Kyoufu

Relaxed Muscle said:
Liara is really a dissapointment that is being confirmed as squadmate, after Shadow Broker I find that new role suite her better and now Bioware is wasting a slot in her....

How dare you...

Sai

Why would the Illusive Man try to kill Shepard when the Reapers are out there tearing everything up? Why would you want to get rid of one of the biggest trump cards that not only humanity, but the entire galaxy has against the Reapers?

Indoctrination, maybe? Makes no sense. Maybe Cerberus' actions can be quelled somewhat depending on what you do with the data in ME2's Lost Operative assignment.

Kurtofan

Relaxed Muscle said:
Feron says HI!
What's the point of having an assistant if you don't use him?

Kyoufu

Sai said:
Why would the Illusive Man try to kill Shepard when the Reapers are out there tearing everything up? Why would you want to get rid of one of the biggest trump cards that not only humanity, but the entire galaxy has against the Reapers?

Indoctrination, maybe? Makes no sense. Maybe Cerberus' actions can be quelled somewhat depending on what you do with the data in ME2's Lost Operative assignment.

Illusive Man's eyes always made me think he was suspicious. I chose the renegade ending in ME2 though, not sure why he'd want me dead, especially after spending so much to bring me back!

Kyoufu said:
How dare you...

I like Liara, specially thanks to Shadow Broker DLC, but that's the reason I don't want her as Squadmate, the role she was given was really interesting, but now Bioware somehow backpedals and makes her a squadmate, IMO that sucks.....specially if that means no Tali.

Kurtofan said:
Feron says HI!
What's the point of having an assistant if you don't use him?

I don't think Shadow Broker role it's something you can leave in hands of some guy and travel to the space going full Asari commando....at least, that's not how Shadow Borker role in the galaxy was pictured during the first 2 games...

Sai said:

I'm guessing they are related to the arrival dlc, illusive man upset or something, put in blame spotlight too? dunno.

Man I wish that before I started ME2 I ran ME1 again, I never did because i've played it 3 times already but that means my ME2 shep is had ME1 renegade options, and no space sex with Liara.

Riposte

Kyoufu said:
Illusive Man's eyes always made me think he was suspicious. I chose the renegade ending in ME2 though, not sure why he'd want me dead, especially after spending so much to bring me back!

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is basically no way you can end that last conversation on friendly terms. So they definitely were setting things in motion. Even if you play Shepard as 100% pro-Cerberus in his actions(don't think you can ever say "I am with Cerberus 4life" when you speak to Tali and whatnot), you can't end the game saying "Happy you like my present IM, lets play golf sometime".

OMG Aero

I really hope that the lack of confirmed ME2 squad mates isn't a sign that there won't be any since you could end ME2 with none of them alive.

Bioware re-deemed?
Hopefully
Different team I know but so far everything sounds great. Bringing back some RPG elements which is always welcome, going to keep expectations is check until release.
Screw it, I'm already excited.

Kyoufu

Riposte said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is basically no way you can end that last conversation on friendly terms. So they definitely were setting things in motion. Even if you play Shepard as 100% pro-Cerberus in his actions(don't think you can ever say "I am with Cerberus 4life" when you speak to Tali and whatnot), you can't end the game saying "Happy you like my present IM, lets play golf sometime".

Yeah I've done both and the end result in her tone was the same, but you kept intel on that collector place didn't you? That has to be a good thing for Cerberus, so *shrug*.

Nirolak said:
Huh, this implies that Kotaku is right and BioWare Montreal is actually making a shooter spin-off. o_O
Even a broken clock is right etc, etc, etc. Thank god they were right it is a spin-off and not ME3.

Kurtofan

Relaxed Muscle said:
I don't think Shadow Broker role it's something you can leave in hands of some guy and travel to the space going full Asari commando....at least, that's not how Shadow Borker role in the galaxy was pictured during the first 2 games...
Yeah well the old Broker was the old Broker,Liara can do whatever she wants.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Even if BioWare just lifted Army of Two: 40th Day's (kinda shitty) system straight out, it'd still be an improvement coming from ME2. ME1's menu structure was terrible, but I liked finding new weapons all the time and modifying them with upgrades. I liked what ME2 offered in suit customization. Hope they'll keep it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They totally stole my gun attachments idea.

Darklord

Banned
I better fucking be able to romance Liara. I wanted to pick her in Shadow Broker but no, I didn't pick her in ME1 but it refuses to give me the option even though it feels like it's pushing towards that the whole time. I'm not replaying 2 games just to change one choice.

Kyoufu

Darklord said:
I better fucking be able to romance Liara. I wanted to pick her in Shadow Broker but no, I didn't pick her in ME1 but it refuses to give me the option even though it feels like it's pushing towards that the whole time. I'm not replaying 2 games just to change one choice.

Aren't they going to put in a comic like the PS3 version that lets you make all the decisions in a minute?

Zeona

Neo Member
Mr_Brit said:
Eugh... Is it just me who thinks having multiple endings for the end of a trilogy is a bad idea?

I don't see why it is any different from a single, standalone game having multiple endings. That being said, I guess the different endings will be akin to what they did in the previous 2 games, basically one general outcome with a lot of small variables mixed in. It is the final game of the trilogy though, so maybe they will give us a choice with great impact, like sacrificing all other species to ensure humanities (unaltered) survival.

Darklord

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Aren't they going to put in a comic like the PS3 version that lets you make all the decisions in a minute?

Actually, yeah, I skipped that bit. That's great news. Was the PS3 comic fleshed out or only gave you the choice of the major points?

I wasn't actually planning on going through 1 and 2 again due to lack of time, but after hearing this news... Fuck time, I'm gonna get my ME3 saves ready.

Also, this song needs to be the score for the closing credits. Assuming the ending doesn't involve the Reapers eating everything, of course.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Zeona said:
I don't see why it is any different from a single, standalone game having multiple endings. That being said, I guess the different endings will be akin to what they did in the previous 2 games, basically one general outcome with a lot of small variables mixed in. It is the final game of the trilogy though, so maybe they will give us a choice with great impact, like sacrificing all other species to ensure humanities (unaltered) survival.
I wouldn't mind that at all but from what's in the OP I think there's going to be like 4 or 5 radically different endings which after a build up of three games is not what I expected, I'd be much happier if there were only one general ending which is 95% identical except for choosing the Paragon or Renegade version which would slightly alter the ending.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Seriously though, it all sounds good. Im glad they're using the customisable weapon idea I hoped they would, and I'm glad the skill tree will be deeper. I'm also glad Earth is the prologue, but expected this much anyway.

Sounds like they're trying to take the best bits from both games and blend them together. I hope it works. I know I'll love whatever it is, but I hope the balance is really perfect.

soultron

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
I wouldn't mind that at all but from what's in the OP I think there's going to be like 4 or 5 radically different endings which after a build up of three games is not what I expected, I'd be much happier if there were only one general ending which is 95% identical except for choosing the Paragon or Renegade version which would slightly alter the ending.
That seems really counter-intuitive to the "choices matter" mantra the series has carried since ME1.

I'd be kind of let down if it was only 1 ending tweaked depending whether you went P or R in your playthrough. I'd be less inclined to play through the game multiple times if that was the case.

I liked that you could totally fuck up the ending mission in ME2. In that same sense, I'd like differing outcomes in ME3's end-game. I didn't know you could lose people in ME2's end-game, but when I found out it blew my mind and really earned a new level of appreciation from me. That's why I played it a few times.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
Seriously though, it all sounds good. Im glad they're using the customisable weapon idea I hoped they would, and I'm glad the skill tree will be deeper. I'm also glad Earth is the prologue, but expected this much anyway.

Sounds like they're trying to take the best bits from both games and blend them together. I hope it works. I know I'll love whatever it is, but I hope the balance is really perfect.

Pretty much sums how I think about this. If they can retain that level of wonder and exploration the first game had and twist it around, Relating to the urgency of the reaper threat now, then I'll be very happy. I am hoping that the Reapers are not just attacking Earth and will try to halter Shepard and others from rallying the other races and systems together; scouting Reaper ships to slowly manipulate behind the scenes so politics could generally not go into your favour and you have to decide who to rely and how you must respond with all this weight thrown to the player. This is what I would like to see in this chapter, now we're aproaching the apocalypse, it would be great for the art and urgency to reflect that in the characters and the scenario.

Also space combat please and have the final battle set in the sol system <3

It would be pretty weird if Miranda and Tali get written off completely after playing such large roles previously. However much they re-design her, Ashley remains a speciesist bore.

Kyoufu

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Ha! No multiplayer. Awesome. Sounds good, hope Legion can be a party member.

Although I hope it's not another game that's only set around recruiting people.

You'll be recruiting people AND doing their loyalty missions!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know, looking at this scan, the squad members are only confirmed to be "playable to some extent".

The others are characters they "saw or heard".

I hope we get better scans soon since I don't think GameFAQs guy is being quite as detailed as he could be.

Kyoufu

overcast said:
You're going to need to update me. Why wouldn't he be in this?
In my game he died. But I was planning on getting through another game to have him survive.

He has a disease that is going to kill him.

Sounds quite promising so far. Making a move back to the first game in some aspects which is welcome.

I hope this means there won't be many recruitment missions. Full steam ahead on the actual narrative this time please!

scarybore

Chinner said:
those details sound really predictable and boring. oh well, shouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, pretty much everything we expected about the beginning of the game is now confirmed.

On the plus side, no multiplayer confirmed, weapon mods are welcome and Ashley looks great.

Edit:
Batarian Husk is huge :eek:

So, this James Sanders dude - wondering if he's any relation to Kahlee Sanders, the central character in the ME books and daughter of Jon Grissom, the captain of the first human ship to travel through a Mass Relay and supposedly one of the most important people in the first contact war?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom