• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

APZonerunner said:
So, this James Sanders dude - wondering if he's any relation to Kahlee Sanders, the central character in the ME books and daughter of Jon Grissom, the captain of the first human ship to travel through a Mass Relay and supposedly one of the most important people in the first contact war?

I got excited when I saw the last name, but then...

gdt

Loyalty missions were awesome, hope we get those back. So we'll pick up a new squadmate or two, and then forge war time alliances with all of the races.

Then fuck some shit up.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Darklord said:
Is the Ashley screenshot online or only in the magazine?
All the screenshots are magazine only.

We probably won't get anything on the website until next week, and even then, it will probably start off with something like "Hey everyone, here's a recap of Mass Effect 2!"

Darklord said:
Is the Ashley screenshot online or only in the magazine?

If you want to know what to expect, she looks a ton like N64-era Joanna Dark with long, black hair. Similar blue/grey armour look too.

Salz01

Glad I didnt read anything about 'Planet Scanning'. Now I just want to see something about armor customization and Miranda and I'm good to go....

Wow! Week off work and picking up midnight launch hopefully.

More RPG and weapon mods etc? Awesome Sauce! ME2 reduced RPG elements redeemed!

Gravijah

Salz01 said:
Glad I didnt read anything about 'Planet Scanning'. Now I just want to see something about armor customization and Miranda and I'm good to go....

planet scanning was the best and you cannot deny that

REV 09 said:
Confirmed squadmates are kinda meh. Miranda, Thane, and Mordin should be part of the team. Miranda>Ashley.
Mass Effect 2 is Vanguard PC, Miranda, and Thane.

I thought everyone knew this, but apparently Bioware don't.

Gravijah

alright, imagine this: planet scanning MEETS the mako

traversing large alien planetsmoons, scanning every inch of the terrain to find precious ores

also you can upgrade the rims of the mako

Lakitu

st5fu
Nirolak said:
Game Informer's articles have been pretty detail bare lately.

Skyrim was the last issue that really had a lot.

Yeah, I remember Skyrim's issue having a ton of details. That was a good day.

And you're right about GI lately, still holding out hope that more people will get the issue today and we'll get more details. If not, there are more magazine articles this month with PSM3 and OXM. I'm sure there'll be more as well. Also, is there going to be a GI hub for this one?

As for team mates: People already having tantrums because their favourite character aren't in the GI article. Bioware were secretive for the most part on who would be our squadmates for ME 2, especially when it was first revealed. So I wouldn't count on Tali or Miranda being there.

Tali will most definitely be there, since a dev on the Bioware boards practically confirmed it by saying he'd personally rather not see Tali unmasked in Mass Effect 3.

Personally, I hope Thane returns.

Patryn

God help me.... but I actually like what I'm hearing.

No multiplayer? Fuck yeah. Get that shit into another game.

Rolling with basically my ME1 squad? Fuck yeah. Garrus and Shepard going to take down the Reapers together. If Wrex joins up, that'll just mean that ME2 was a bump in the road for team awesome.

GAF correctly predicts opening of ME3? Not surprising.

Loadouts aren't my favorite thing in the world, but as long as there are more weapons (I'd like to see 5-8 per weapon class and notable differences) and YOU ACTUALLY GET SOME FUCKING STATS ON THEM, I'll be happy.

Frankly, they should totally just steal Alpha Protocol's loadout and weapon mod systems wholesale, because I really liked them. Feels like the best of both worlds.

All I hope is that they allow you to upgrade/customize squadmates' armor. Oh, and have a fucking helmet toggle.

I do have to laugh that it really does look like the main game of ME2 isn't really going to matter, and it's clear that the fucking Arrival may be the most important part of the whole package.

But part of me wonders if this leak of content was decided specifically to appease ME1 diehards like myself. Then again, Bioware didn't really leak this.

Now all I need to hear is "Planet exploration" and I can say "FUCK YEAH" and call it a day and go on total information blackout.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Patryn said:
But part of me wonders if this leak of content was decided specifically to appease ME1 diehards like myself. Then again, Bioware didn't really leak this.
This isn't a leak. This is just straight up the Game Informer article.

Lakitu said:
And you're right about GI lately, still holding out hope that more people will get the issue today and we'll get more details.
This is still better than the Battlefield 3 article where we learned shocking details like the game having a singleplayer campaign and an animation system.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Weapon mods and better trees? I'm sold. Not like I wasn't going to gobble up anything related to this franchise anyway. I have no backbone.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Gillian Seed said:
I notice a lot of Bioware hate in this thread...... They are the best gaming developers out there right now. IMHO
Really? Cutting corners puts developers in the upper echelon now?

megalowho

Relaxed Muscle said:
I like Liara, specially thanks to Shadow Broker DLC, but that's the reason I don't want her as Squadmate, the role she was given was really interesting, but now Bioware somehow backpedals and makes her a squadmate, IMO that sucks.....specially if that means no Tali.
Whether or not you like the idea of Liara as a sqadmade, you have to assume BioWare was already deep into ME3 development at the time Shadow Broker was released and calling that decision a backpedal doesn't make much sense. They had her arc planned out, and there's really no information to suggest what that will be right now.

Darklord

Banned
I can't even remember now. If I pick Ashley in ME1 but picked Tali in ME2 do I still have the relationship with Ashley? Or does it end?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Darklord said:
I can't even remember now. If I pick Ashley in ME1 but picked Tali in ME2 do I still have the relationship with Ashley? Or does it end?
It ends. You only keep the relationship (and picture of your ME1 love interest in your cabin) if you don't sleep around in 2.

Lakitu

st5fu
Darklord said:

We won't know until ME 3. But since Ashley pretty much tells Shepard to get fucked on Horizon, who could blame him?

Mithos

APZonerunner said:
If you want to know what to expect, she looks a ton like N64-era Joanna Dark with long, black hair. Similar blue/grey armour look too.

LOL, that's the first thing I thought too when seeing the Ashley scan. ^^

Lyphen said:
Really? Cutting corners puts developers in the upper echelon now?

If we are talking about DA2, then i am not sure yet. I only just started my playthrough. But yeah, i have never not enjoyed a Bioware game.

Darklord

Banned
Lyphen said:
It ends. You only keep the relationship (and picture of your ME1 love interest in your cabin) if you don't sleep around in 2.

Bleh, I think I'll just start the fresh with the comic thing. Do all the same things but tweak it a little.

Patryn

Lyphen said:

Yes, Bioware has said that if you cheated on your SO from ME1, that relationship will be considered ended and there would be ramifications.

The one exception is the kinda-a-romance, but kinda-not Kelly option. So far, indications are that is not considered cheating.

DaBuddaDa

I had Liara in the 1st and Miranda in the 2nd. When I loaded up Shadow Broker there was nothing really special that happened between me and Liara, just a lot of awkwardness with no resolve really.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Gillian Seed said:
If we are talking about DA2, then i am not sure yet. I only just started my playthrough. But yeah, i have never not enjoyed a Bioware game.
I've never not enjoyed a blowjob, but that doesn't mean every one was the best of all time. And no, not only Dragon Age 2. Mass Effect 1 and 2 both reused environment and 2 had faults and cuts that we could argue ad nauseum. KotOR was a buggy mess on PC, so was ME1, but that wasn't their port job. And ME2 was obviously a rush job on their part on PC, with missing UI elements and prompts that don't match their assigned keys. They're technically incompetent, and they've been rushing their games instead of given them the attention they deserve (honestly, even though I didn't like Dragon Age 1 much due to bugs, it's the only thing they've put out in years without massive environment recycling). But they sure do make nice romances, characters and universes.

Clott

Cheated? Didnt she come up with some bad excuse for not coming with you in ME2? They better give you a way to talk your way out of it.

Patryn said:
Yes, Bioware has said that if you cheated on your SO from ME1, that relationship will be considered ended and there would be ramifications.

The one exception is the kinda-a-romance, but kinda-not Kelly option. So far, indications are that is not considered cheating.

Angry email inbound.

Seriously, after ME2, we already know whatever the ramifications are, they won't have any lasting impact. :(

I'm more interested in what Toomb's is going to do after his email in ME2. And what about Balak? Surely he'll have a pretty major role after what happened in Arrival?

Patryn

So where we're at in terms of characters:

Garrus (if he survived)^
Ashley (if she survived)^
Kaiden (if he survived)^
Liara^
Wrex (if he survived)*
Mordin (if he survived)*
Legion (if it survived)*
Anderson*
EDI*
Joker*
Udina
Illusive Man

+

James Sanders^ (new character)

^ = Playable
* = Confirmed voiced (either by VA or by GI)

Not sure about Liara, wouldn't it make more sense for her to use her SB connections and help coordinate some kind of counter attack?

daviyoung said:
Shouldn't that be Grunt? Or did I miss something?

He can die in ME1 on Virmire. Space racist shoots him in the back.

And other return that doesn't make any sense, why not stay on the home planet and help co-ordinate some kind of counter attack.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ashley looks hot.

I wonder if she'll put out to my femshep this time.

Maybe have ourselves a white bread blue sandwhich, if you know what I mean.

Patryn

Speedymanic said:

And other return that doesn't make any sense, why not stay on the home planet and help co-ordinate some kind of counter attack.

Shepard can also kill him on Virmire.

I should also add that it's possible that Wrex, Mordin or Legion may show up regardless of whether or not they lived, given Bioware's new policy of hand-waving plot events to suit their tastes.

Thus far the only characters confirmed to either show up or not based on whether they're alive or dead are Garrus, Ashley and Kaiden.

Gravijah

EatChildren said:
Ashley looks hot.

I wonder if she'll put out to my femshep this time.

Maybe have ourselves a white bread blue sandwhich, if you know what I mean.

you should write a fanfic

Not liking Ashely's new look, especially. She doesn't have that great "one of the guys" feel she used to. Now she's just Miranda 2.0...
Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought "perfect dark" upon first viewing her.

Really happy for all the list of changes. If this turns out even close to how I'm expecting it to now I will be completely thrilled!

Also, I'm a Tali fan, but it still cracks me up to see everyone freaking out that she wasn't mentioned. Bioware is obviously messing with them, hahahaha!

Peff

Speedymanic said:

Maybe that's what he does, he's not confirmed as a Squadmate yet. They can use his brother (Wreav? lulz) again anyways or even let you choose between Grunt and Wrex, one leading Tuchanka and the other for your Squad.

I have a feeling that the final roster will likely be the ME1 squad+ME2 romances (which unfortunately means Jacob and Jack. On the other hand, Thane) and three or four new characters and hopefully some fan favourites from ME2 like Legion and Mordin.

DaBuddaDa

Typographenia said:
Also, I'm a Tali fan, but it still cracks me up to see everyone freaking out that she wasn't mentioned. Bioware is obviously messing with them, hahahaha!
Tali died in my Mass 2 game :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom