• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Reviews Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 10/10

pwack

I wish they could make the game non-linear without making every item available from the start and making the dungeons be only a obstacle without any items to be conquered... I dunno if I'll like this...

Of course you don't know if you like it. You haven't played it try!

Astral Dog

I think if the game used sprites a lot more people would be shitting on the game for being "cheap" and "recycled" from alltp

Frolow

Banned
This thread reminds me that if anyone wants to help out with the ALBW OT I'd very much appreciate. I'm mainly looking for graphical work so shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Arkam

Wow 10/10? They REALLY loved it!

The game looks really awesome, but did not expect that high of a score.
Wonder where the metacritic will shake out to.

Either way game looks great and cannot wait to pick it up asap!

Gammacide

Big surprise. Now if they would just pull their fingers out and make a A Link to Super Metroid they would really start raking it in.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
OMG i am getting so hyped for this. When western media gives Nintendo-games great scores without nitpicking, you just know the game is awesome. Day zero!

emb

Sounds amazing. I don't like the idea of there not being dungeon items at all, but I love the any-order buyables and rental death penalty. Best of all is the lack of handholding. If that and filler were totally gone, virtually every Zelda would be a contender for best Zelda.

I don't put much stock in the score of a first review though.
There ARE items in the dungeons though.
Oh, awesome then. :D

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I would give EatChildren his first born back if it means me getting the game tomorrow!

image.php

So far, the dungeons more or less seem to be around the same difficulty, though I stress that I haven't played the majority of the dungeons yet. I can say that getting to some dungeons is definitely harder than getting to others, so if the difficulty of the dungeons themselves reflects how hard it is to get to them, we may be looking at varying difficulty.

How much has changed in the overworld? Are there massive changes to geography or relatively similar sections with small differences?

Sounds awesome. This game shall be mine!

Someone should make a thread compiling the order gaf tackles each dungeon. It would be interesting to see if the game has an innate order to the dungeons based on other design elements like the overworld and accessibility.

Gsnap

Someone should make a thread compiling the order gaf tackles each dungeon. It would be interesting to see if the game has an innate order to the dungeons based on other design elements like the overworld and accessibility.

I agree. That sounds like fun. I'd be willing to bet there is a more natural way to explore the game. Or that our preconceptions will average out to a common order. (Forest first, Fire second, etc.)

ohlawd

fuck it's non-linear like 99% of the time?

how about giving me an arrow to show me where to go cuz I hate exploring shit.

One thing I'm happy about is that there is no true dungeon order, it seems. It's going to make replays very fun to see which is the most efficient way to tackle the game for speed-runs and such, and just make the first playthrough quite memorable in the mystery of how one goes about venturing Hyrule and Lorule.

Bsigg12

They should totally do the week early digital release for this...

Maybe a surprise announcement with the NOA Direct tomorrow? (Its tomorrow right?)

I agree. That sounds like fun. I'd be willing to bet there is a more natural way to explore the game. Or that our preconceptions will average out to a common order. (Forest first, Fire second, etc.)

I can see a lot of people just tackling the dungeons in the same order as aLttP because of familiarity with the overworld.

Sounds amazing. I don't like the idea of there not being dungeon items at all, but I love the any-order buyables and rental death penalty. Best of all is the lack of handholding. If that and filler were totally gone, virtually every Zelda would be a contender for best Zelda.

I don't put much stock in the score of a first review though.

There ARE items in the dungeons though.

Even the Gamespot scores, although considered low, weren't so low as to imply that they were bad games. The SS reviewer ended up admitting he played the game wrong too which caused the lower score. With fans though, you'll find no shortage of people shitting on certain games in order to prop up whatever entry they deem their favorite. It's annoying and so filled with bias that their opinions have become worthless.

Regarding the other thing, Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zeldas. I love everything about it when I replayed it in HD, but my opinion has changed a little bit after replaying Twilight Princess. I'm saving my thoughts for another time, but I'm on the sixth temple, and I can't begin to fathom how this game deserves even an ounce of hate. I just don't get it. TP is probably the best game in the series given any criteria.
TP's dungeon design is staggering. The game gets hate because of waggle I guess (the graphics have aged poorly too), but ... 4/5/6/7 might be the best four Zelda dungeons ever, and they're all in a row.

Any news on Majora's Mask's presence in the game?

I truly don't wanna know. Stuff like this should definitely be put in spoiler tags, I feel. This is the first Zelda game in a while with a truly non-linear design, and I really want to make as much of this game a mystery as possible. Discovering stuff like this would be immense pertaining to my enjoyment of the game.

If/when any is found however, I am going to flip a shit. I love Majora's Mask too much, omfg

TP has awesome boss battles as well.

They would be incredible if it weren't for the embarrassingly low amount of damage all bosses did, including the final offing boss. Twilight Princess is one game which would benefit greatly from an HD upgrade ala Wind Waker. Implement some new shaders, round out the character models, improve textures, fix some annoying padding and add a Hero Mode where enemies do 4x the damage of the original game and Twilight Princess might wind up being held high among the best of the best in the series.

I truly don't wanna know. Stuff like this should definitely be put in spoiler tags, I feel. This is the first Zelda game in a while with a truly non-linear design, and I really want to make as much of this game a mystery as possible. Discovering stuff like this would be immense pertaining to my enjoyment of the game.

If/when any is found however, I am going to flip a shit. I love Majora's Mask too much, omfg

Oh, I agree with you bro, just trying to see if it's confirmed, that's all. Playing TP and finding out about the
Temple of Time
gave me such a nerdgasm and I've been longing for that feel again if any MM hint is in this game (other than the mask in the shop.

Ninjimbo

TP's dungeon design is staggering. The game gets hate because of waggle I guess (the graphics have aged poorly too), but ... 4/5/6/7 might be the best four Zelda dungeons ever, and they're all in a row.
1/2/3 are awesome as well. I was thinking about it some more and Faron Woods (the monkeys!), the Goron Mines (with the crazy gravity switches) and the Zora's Palace (the water wheels, and Colossus-like boss) are one hell of an incredible trio of startup dungeons. In terms of complexity, atmosphere, creativity, I can't see how they are topped. I mean, compare the Goron Mines to Dodongo's Cavern, where Link is at in terms of abilities in both games and you realize just how confident the devs have become with their level designs.

Twilight Princess is in another stratosphere with its dungeons. I'm about to start the seventh soon.

AniHawk

city in the sky is the fucking best. that's where it became the best zelda game for me. oh lord that thing is amazing.

i should replay tp sometime in the new year now that i'm no longer addicted to tf2.

Oh, I agree with you bro, just trying to see if it's confirmed, that's all. Playing TP and finding out about the
Temple of Time
gave me such a nerdgasm and I've been longing for that feel again if any MM hint is in this game (other than the mask in the shop.

If there's even the vaguest hint that Majora's Mask 3D exists I'm probably gonna die. Part of me believes that the Majora's Mask presence in this game is kind of... Nintendo's way of pandering to that audience, I suppose. I remember reading a quote from Aonuma saying how in regards to fans of Majora's Mask, he "hears the fans" and because of which decided to include some Majora's Mask-related goodies. I am so more than happy to finally be playing a brand new, top-down Zelda game that changes up the formula substantially, but the thought of being able to one day be able to play my all-time favorite Zelda title at 60fps, with improved visuals, controls, pacing, etc would be an absolute dream.

I hope the reversible cover isn't exclusive to the UK, I'd really like to have that full-color background instead of the gold one. I like that Nintendo are so poignant on keeping tradition, but it just looks ridiculous to have a full picture which was intended to be properly colored just be draped in a gold overlay.

I think the game's graphics look great. It's meant to be played in autostereoscopic 3D, and in that regard the characters and settings will look like shiny plastic toys moving around a diorama with tangible depth and solidity.

But of course, the main draw here is the brisk pacing, snappy movement and non-linear dungeon order I've been requesting for some time. That, along with the virtually non-existent handholding, will do a lot to restore this series' sense of adventure.
Wow, they listened.

Top Bottom