• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Guessable Cover: Elders Scrolls Online [Move to details thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

I see that as a good thing from the technical side of things, but a bad thing from the gameplay side of things.

The funny thing is that two examples I named, the technical side was the worst part of the launches. Vanguards core gameplay was sound and I actually had a lot of fun, but they spent so much time trying to fix the bugs and graphics optimization that people quickly started giving up sub fees. Most the core development team was axed, they ended up getting a shoestring budget from that point on and history is history. FFXIV had the technical issue AND core gameplay issues, its amazing that I am actually having a ton of fun and looking forward to 2.0 considered what kind of launch that game went through.

sp3000

Heroengine is the biggest piece of garbage. I seriously cannot believe who in their right mind would license it. Just look at TOR. On top of that it also runs terribly while looking awful.

Although I guess it's a good engine for spitting out wow clones, which seems to be the intention here.

I cannot stress enough that it's probably the worst engine released in a while. I really can't think of anything worse.

So, ZeniMax acquired the Hero Engine back in '07. They've had like 5 years to develop this game so far, so maybe it won't be that bad?

Tu101uk

Heroengine is the biggest piece of garbage. I seriously cannot believe who in their right mind would license it. Just look at TOR. On top of that it also runs terribly while looking awful.

Although I guess it's a good engine for spitting out wow clones, which seems to be the intention here.

I cannot stress enough that it's probably the worst engine released in a while. I really can't think of anything worse.
Though almost everyone agrees that Bioware's handling of that engine was completely all over the place, people should bear in mind that it is still basically an unproven engine with only one real AAA title to its name (though its track record with other attempts leaves something to be desired).

Also, Zenimax have had the license since 2007 for it, perhaps they can optimise it better than those before them? Maybe I'm playing the optimist here, but it's definitely better than outright dismissing it, especially knowing that the engine is not complete out-of-the-box and that it relies on the developers to tweak it to do their work.

Again, it's a matter of wait and see, methinks...

O-O~

If this is a wow clone in Elder Scrolls settings they can fuck off, I played Elder Scrolls cause it was in first person and had realtime combat. That's what set the series apart not the generic ass fantasy setting.

Allard

Though almost everyone agrees that Bioware's handling of that engine was completely all over the place, people should bear in mind that it is still basically an unproven engine with only one real AAA title to its name (though its track record with other attempts leaves something to be desired).

Also, Zenimax have had the license since 2007 for it, perhaps they can optimise it better than those before them? Maybe I'm playing the optimist here, but it's definitely better than outright dismissing it, especially knowing that the engine is not complete out-of-the-box and that it relies on the developers to tweak it to do their work.

O-O~

Yeah I don't understand this. We have one game, one game that has used the Hero Engine. We have only TOR to compare it too, why can't it be possible that TOR's developers were incompetent using the engine? A small hobby/dream I had out of high school was to create my own seamless world with MMO traits, I looked for 3rd party engines and other tools to get me started. Even though I couldn't use it the Hero Engine seemed like it was easily the most robust and intuitive software you could get to create a proper MMO environment from scratch.

I really don't think we should write the engine off completely just because of TOR.

Durante

I'd be seriously interested in this if it was locked to first person perspective. But they are clearly going for the big bucks, so it won't be.

If this is a wow clone in Elder Scrolls settings they can fuck off, I played Elder Scrolls cause it was in first person and had realtime combat. That's what set the series apart not the generic ass fantasy setting.

This. WoW clones seem to be a dime a dozen today. I'd rather just play WoW than some crappy clone

Erasus

O-O~

But why not use gamebryo (Rift did) or Unreal Engine 3 like TERA? Why this unproven engine? What do they see in it? SWTOR runs awfully.

zethren

Banned
If this turns out well, it could be the first MMO I'm willing to pay a monthly fee for. Even with it's bugs, a modern Elder Scrolls that encompasses the entire continent would be too great to pass up.

And cover story means lots of pictures in the issue, and a decent write-up. Nice.

99%

You know if you fill an engine with piss it won't run.

But why not use gamebryo (Rift did) or Unreal Engine 3 like TERA? Why this unproven engine? What do they see in it? SWTOR runs awfully.

This prob has been in development for a while now.

Also don't forget ID is a part of Zenimax, and I bet their engineers will be helping out if there are issues.

I think it's better to say it ran terribly in certain situations. The fleet for instance was a nightmare...so slow. For regular quests and heroics it was fine. Basically anytime you had more than 10+ people on screen it was bogged down e.g. not ideal for MMO's

i would like it more like a massive multiplayer skyrim/oblivion / morrowind style game, those games just with 1000s of other players.

I have a feeling itll be a EQ/WoW/"insert most modern mmo model here", with a Elder Scrolls skin over it, kind've like Swotor.

edit: its using the Swotor engine? .............. :|

1000 years in the past, there's not going to be any locations recognizable in the Elder scrolls, and there will be a bunch more races we've never even seen alive in an Elder Scrolls game.

Actually, Tamriel itself will look totally different, if I'm remember my lore right. I think after Daggerfell, the entire continent was changed drastically in shape.

I'm wondering how they're going to do that. I mean, you'll walk into Cyrodiil and have it as a swampy jungle with one or two cities, that's not really going to make people feel like they're in the Cyrodiil they're familiar with.

Allard

Because they licensed the damn engine back in 2007? At the time Gamebryo and Unreal Engine 3 were NOT a proven engine for an MMO environment, whereas this one was specifically designed for MMO development and was made by several MMO vets. Its tools greatly increase development workflow with many artists working tandem, and it comes with pre-loaded server architecture they can build from. It may turn out to be shit just like the optimization in SWTOR but its not like they can just go back in time and start from scratch with a different engine when they got it so long ago. You guys act like they made the decision to use the engine only a couple years ago or hell this year even.

Yeah I'm increasinly pessimistic about this. It seems like regardless of what they do with the design, these two things will be inevitable:

1) Other people. They're stupid, say stupid shit and otherwise are just kind of annoying and obnoxious. I don't mean to sound so misanthropic, but you know.

2) One of the following: Design that makes progress, movement, etc.. artifically slow to keep players playing, AND/OR content focused around driving the player toward microtransactions. Gotta monetize.

I just can't imagine any game with those two elements that I could be interested in playing. I can't even make up a perfect one in my head that seems good.

Again, though, hope it works out for them and people are into it. Just disinterested myself. I'm not emotionally attached to The Elder Scrolls universe, it's super-bland. As long as the actual core Bethesda team is not wasting time on it.

I think it's better to say it ran terribly in certain situations. The fleet for instance was a nightmare...so slow. For regular quests and heroics it was fine. Basically anytime you had more than 10+ people on screen it was bogged down e.g. not ideal for MMO's

This limitation basically means no open world PvP. Then again, could open world PvP in a TES game actually be interesting? Balance is not one of their strong points...

Dunno. I'd love to see someone do something interesting in the MMO space. However... the weak points of most of the TES games seem like they will be particularly glaring in an MMO setting. I can forgive them in single player games because the worlds are usually interesting enough to make up for it, but if an MMO's best feature isn't multiplayer gameplay, then it's really hard to justify the sub fee...

Honestly, I think I would have preferred a drop-in/drop-out type of co-op online instead of an MMO. Having a friend join your game in progress with his stats and stuff would be cool.

O-O~

Good luck with that

Lombax

Banned
This is what I get for referring to Skyrim as "The best single player MMO ever!" in the office last year.

If its an MMO with the same amount of choice as the single player games it could be interesting, but still I have little to no interest in another MMO. Why not just add co-op and be done with it?

Hari Seldon

Not interested in this at all. Pretty much the only way I'm buying this is if it a throw back to Ultima Online style of MMOs. If it is another fucking wow-clone they would have to pay me to play it.

1000 years in the past, there's not going to be any locations recognizable in the Elder scrolls, and there will be a bunch more races we've never even seen alive in an Elder Scrolls game.

Actually, Tamriel itself will look totally different, if I'm remember my lore right. I think after Daggerfell, the entire continent was changed drastically in shape.

I'm wondering how they're going to do that. I mean, you'll walk into Cyrodiil and have it as a swampy jungle with one or two cities, that's not really going to make people feel like they're in the Cyrodiil they're familiar with.

Not really. The kingdoms in Daggerfall changed, not the landmass. Only Cyrodiil was changed because of Tiber Septim, and even that's not exactly out there in the canon. The ten races were pretty much established by that time in the second Era too, and it was well after the Akaviri invasion so those are probably out, too.

I recall there not being any real "unity" among the provinces in that time, though. There wasn't a real Empire at that time.

Vesper73

Hero Engine: The engine of shitty draw distance, mixed with ugly static background bitmap to simulate distant terrain......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom