• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMD

I don't know how people were expecting Hardhome/Battle of the Bastards levels of fight choreography and production value.

It's a considerably shorter season with the same budget, it's to be expected that production value is higher.

Jackpot

Banned
Of course this is the only time they don't poison their blades.

All hail the cockless coward.

Nymeria's size was a very lame use of perspective. It looked like a normal dog compared to Snow's CGI wolflife features.

Fliesen

can you really ambush a fleet like that, btw?

It's not like anyone saw anyone coming (dat fog) or anyone knew anyone's exact course. - unless there's a traitor amongst Queen Daenerys council.

Tyron's skills as strategist, for which he has so such respect from the other characters for, would be a bit more convincing if his plans actually panned out well a bit more often.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The last fight was pretty funny. The sped up cuts, fishbowl lensing, neatly choreographed fighting, neon bloom of the fight, dodging a flame ball, character abilities (starring whip girl), and overall contrivance of it. It was like a video game.

That Nathalie Emmanuel though goddamn.

tumblr_otkoijByi21rx5l6bo1_400.gif

tumblr_otkoijByi21rx5l6bo2_400.gif

With John gone, Sansa is totally gonna fuck things up in the North isn't she? At least that is what i'm expecting. There is the possibility that Arya will end up killing Littlefinger if she ever ends up getting back. She has been the only character so far that has been able to get sweet revenge on people. Most likely end up running into the Hound and the fire guys though.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see Tyrion and Jon's relationship come back into play. Their sorta friendship was one my favorite things early on. Now I just wonder if Davos is going to freak out if he sees Melisandre again at Dragonstone.

redfox088

Banned
Well... her whole mission is the rule the 7 kingdoms and that includes the north. Of course she an just Marry Jon and and accomplish the same thing.

A couple of things I still want to see though.

Jon Interacting with Danny's dragons.
A Tyrion and Sansa reunion
Sansa and Arya reunite
My hopes- I feel as the conflict for Tyrion will be Olenna, I feel like tyrion will find out she killed Joffrey and that will exonerate him in Jaimes eyes
I want Jorrah to meet Lyanna
And I want the parentage to be investigated but chance or inspection and Bran to confirm...I just don't know how lol

It's not about her getting the gold, it's about cutting off King's Landings funds. Everything about her plan was about cutting off their supplies. They wanted to surround King's Landing so they couldn't get reinforcements or food, so at some point they would need to give up and with taking Casterly Rock, you take away all their gold so anyone outside isn't getting paid. It's different from Robb since Winterfell was their King's Landing, Casterly Rock doesn't really mean much to Cersei from a strategic point of via, aside from all the gold there, but that's all but dried up.

[edit]

Not to say that the optics here aren't in play, since they are, but I think it's mainly about the gold they think they have.

So Tyrion and Varys have no idea that there is no gold left in casterly rock? Seems highly unlikely.

With John gone, Sansa is totally gonna fuck things up in the North isn't she? At least that is what i'm expecting. There is the possibility that Arya will end up killing Littlefinger if she ever ends up getting back. She has been the only character so far that has been able to get sweet revenge on people. Most likely end up running into the Hound and the fire guys though.

I'd be so sad if Sansa fucks things up. I have such hope for her, I wouldn't mind if she is very different from Jon, but still keeps the peace and makes sure everyone is content with their lot. I think Bran turning up might change her a bit, or at least be "Here I was, ready to go Full Cersei and half my family is still alive"

Jackpot

Banned
Why does Littlefinger approach Jon solely to remind him he was the one who carted his dad's bones after he betrayed him, and that he used to want to bang his mother but now wants to bang his sister (who Jon knows was given to the Boltons by Littlefinger)? What does he gain from it?

Also slicing off half of a guy's skin unanesthetized is lethal and there ain't no magic ointment for that.

Why does Littlefinger approach Jon solely to remind him he was the one who carted his dad's bones after he betrayed him, and that he used to want to bang his mother but now wants to bang his sister (who Jon knows was given to the Boltons by Littlefinger)? What does he gain from it?

Also slicing off half of a guy's skin unanesthetized is lethal and there ain't no magic ointment for that.
I thought it was him trying to make Jon an ally.
" i want to bone Cat, but she was mean to you so its okay right?"

It's not about her getting the gold, it's about cutting off King's Landings funds. Everything about her plan was about cutting off their supplies. They wanted to surround King's Landing so they couldn't get reinforcements or food, so at some point they would need to give up and with taking Casterly Rock, you take away all their gold so anyone outside isn't getting paid. It's different from Robb since Winterfell was their King's Landing, Casterly Rock doesn't really mean much to Cersei from a strategic point of via, aside from all the gold there, but that's all but dried up.

[edit]

Not to say that the optics here aren't in play, since they are, but I think it's mainly about the gold they think they have.

They have no gold/funds. That's the reason why Tywin was so set on those marriages to the Tyrells, they needed their money. Its all about the symbolism of taking their home. The same reason Rob wanted to take it. Why would you follow a ruler who cant defend their own home.

Still going to forever be disappointed that despite Theon and Yara taking Euron's fleet, he still somehow managed to pull another fleet out of his ass that was more powerful than his stolen fleet.

Glad those dumb Sandsnake sisters are gone now though.

Edit: I didn't understand Arya's last line. What did she say? "Not her." Or something? Sucks she's still gonna miss Jon. Can't wait for her to meet up with Sansa though. Is Littlefinger on her list? I honestly can't remember.

redfox088

Banned
I'd be so sad if Sansa fucks things up. I have such hope for her, I wouldn't mind if she is very different from Jon, but still keeps the peace and makes sure everyone is content with their lot. I think Bran turning up might change her a bit, or at least be "Here I was, ready to go Full Cersei and half my family is still alive"
What I don't understand that a raven from sam way in the citadel and way in dragon stone reaches winterfell before one from castle black. There's no way Edd doesn't know what Bran means to Jon, I actually thought that was the thing that would lead Jon out of reach of dany...oh well

Still going to forever be disappointed that despite Theon and Yara taking Euron's fleet, he still somehow managed to pull another fleet out of his ass that was more powerful than his stolen fleet.

Glad those dumb Sandsnake sisters are gone now though.

Edit: I didn't understand Arya's last line. What did she say? "Not her." Or something? Sucks she's still gonna miss Jon. Can't wait for her to meet up with Sansa though. Is Littlefinger on her list? I honestly can't remember.

Season 1 Ned tells Arya she will be the wife of a great lord, Arya says thats not me. She says the same thing about her wolf, shes not meant to be a pet but a wild thing (like Arya). Good thing she might be the only wolf alive at the end.

redfox088

Banned
Edit: I didn't understand Arya's last line. What did she say? "Not her." Or something? Sucks she's still gonna miss Jon
I thinks she says "that's not her" for Nymeria being wild all this time to jump to be with arya whom she was Abandoned by. To then be caged and domesticated and a pet. That's not what she is. Arya is still going to kings landing.

I thinks she says "that's not her" for Nymeria being wild all this time to jump to be with arya whom she was Abandoned by. To then be caged and domesticated and a pet. That's not what she is. Arya is still going to kings landing.

Did you miss the people in the carraige going south saying 200 miles to kings landing and Arya heading the opposite direction?

Season 1 Ned tells Arya she will be the wife of a great lord, Arya says thats not me. She says the same thing about her wolf, shes not meant to be a pet but a wild thing (like Arya). Good thing she might be the only wolf alive at the end.
Oh wow, thanks. That's a great nod to something so long ago. I really need to rewatch previous seasons.

That sex scene made it a good episode after the lackluster opener. The final battle was fine although a little too chaotic and u realistic the way it unfolded. Nowhere epic.

Speevy

Banned
I say they lock Baelish away and keep him fed so he can concoct his little schemes without actually hurting anyone.

Sansa: So what's it going to be today, Lord Baelish?
LIttlefinger: Your brother Bran is at Castle Black I hear. I want to marry him and make myself the lord of Winterfell.
Sansa: I'll look into that.

*closes kennel door*

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Don't really like the storyline with the uncle guy. He had his fleet stolen and it feels like 2 episodes later he managed to rebuild it bigger and better then before. Then he manages to take them completely by suprise and jumps on their ship after activating god mode.

Baleish is creepy.

Interested in seeing what happens with John and Daenyrs.

Did you miss the people in the carraige going south saying 200 miles to kings landing and Arya heading the opposite direction?
Yeah but...
Is discussion about the after show closer look segment forbidden? Because they talk about this.

There are two clear readings that can be interpreted from the line, which was "That's not you".

The first, and I would argue most likely, reading is that the Nymeria Arya met on the way to Winterfell is not the same Nymeria which she instructed to flee in the first season. When Nymeria fled, both of them were two incredibly different creatures to what they are now. Nymeria is now a killer who leads a wolf-pack hunting for food; returning with Arya as a partner to 'go home' to Winterfell is out of character and is something that the pup may have done but the current Nymeria would certainly not. 'It's not her' (i.e. in her nature anymore) to partner with Arya. Likewise, Arya, too, has incredibly changed. She's no longer the young girl learning to fight who chases a cat around the basement (?) of the Red Keep in King's Landing, she's a trained killer and returning to Winterfell is not only out of her present nature, but it's something she could not truly be comfortable with and would not 'fit in'. It's no accident that Nymeria and Arya barely recognise one another when they meet; they're both very different people than when they fell out of contact, and now both are highly skilled hunters (one could say it's far too on the nose how much they resemble one another, but the imagery with the wolves has never been very subtle). This interpretation would suggest that the meeting with Nymeria convinces Arya not to return home to a family in which she no longer fits, but to remain on her original path to King's Landing.

The second, and less likely, reading is largely similar to the first. Arya recognises that Nymeria is now a killer and it would not be in Nymeria's present nature to team with Arya, but that while Nymeria walks from Arya, Arya herself recognises that she isn't like Nymeria, that while both may be skilled hunters whereas Nymeria willingly walks from the opportunity to return home, Arya convinces herself that she is different, that she isn't like Nymeria (somebody who would abandon their roots) and double's down on the decision to return home.

While I think the former is far more likely than the latter, both have the same 'idea' in them that "That's not you" is a reference to how much they have both changed since they parted ways and they're now 'different (changed) people'.

EDIT: And there is the callback aspect which has been mentioned above.

EDIT:
They didn't miss that, the quote you're responding to Is referencing how Arya's meeting with Nymeria convinced her that it's more in Arya's nature to go to King's Landing than it is to return to a home in which she no longer fits because of her experience in the series thus far.

nbraun80

can you really ambush a fleet like that, btw?

It's not like anyone saw anyone coming (dat fog) or anyone knew anyone's exact course. - unless there's a traitor amongst Queen Daenerys council.
The big thing i haven't seen anyone point out is if you look at a GoT map Dragonstone and king's landing are literally in the same inlet coming off of the sea and Cersei and Euron both knew that's where Danny was holding up, so it wouldn't take much to see the ships leave from a distance and follow them.

Speevy

Banned
Don't really like the storyline with the uncle guy. He had his fleet stolen and it feels like 2 episodes later he managed to rebuild it bigger and better then before. Then he manages to take them completely by suprise and jumps on their ship after activating god mode.

They stole all his best ships, but he used the lush forests to build 1,000 ships and found Yara with the help of his medieval radar.

He knew that the unguarded King's Landing would need no naval protection so he sailed directly to Dorne so he could intercept Yara's fleet.

They stole all his best ships, but he used the lush forests to build 1,000 ships and found Yara with the help of his medieval radar.

He knew that the unguarded King's Landing would need no naval protection so he sailed directly to Dorne so he could intercept Yara's fleet.
lol

People seem to keep forgetting that Euron is the storm. I mean you can't outrun the fucking storm. Wake up people.
I thought he was Bam Margera.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
People seem to keep forgetting that Euron is the storm. I mean you can't outrun the fucking storm. Wake up people.

EDIT:
They didn't miss that, the quote you're responding to Is referencing how Arya's meeting with Nymeria convinced her that it's more in Arya's nature to go to King's Landing than it is to return to a home in which she no longer fits because of her experience in the series thus far.

But shes not going to kings landing.

But shes not going to kings landing.

She wasn't going to King's Landing after she left Hot Pie and learned that Jon was the King in the North and the Bolton's defeated. The meeting with Nymeria occurs after this, and one strong interpretation of this scene is that the meeting with Nymeria convinces Arya that it would not be in her nature to continue returning to Winterfell, and that "that's not you" is her coming to the realisation that the 'correct' path for her is to continue with her original plan to head to King's Landing and decides not to go to Winterfell. The poster you initially quoted is assuming this rather strong interpretation. The other interpretation of the scene is that the meeting with Nymeria reinforces her desire to return to Winterfell, and thus she continues on this path, but this seems to be a bigger stretch.

I just watched it and have no Idea where you are getting anything that contradicts what I wrote.

Sorry, should have posted something like this (working while browsing):
EDIT:
The point was, she realized what her true goal is. Guess they should have showed her going back.

She wasn't going to King's Landing after she left Hot Pie and learned that Jon was the King in the North and the Bolton's defeated. The meeting with Nymeria occurs after this, and one strong interpretation of this scene is that the meeting with Nymeria convinces Arya that it would not be in her nature to continue returning to Winterfell, and that "that's not you" is her coming to the realisation that the 'correct' path for her is to continue with her original plan to head to King's Landing and not Winterfell. The poster you initially quoted is assuming this rather strong interpretation.

Thats a crazy interpretation thats not happening. They even spell out what it meant in tbe behind the scenes closer look after the show. She isnt heading to kings landing.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
All of it probably? Yara and her fleet WERE her naval fleet more or less. She probably has like 10 ships left maybe.
Dany still has those ships she won from the slave masters (which at the end of last season had Targ sails). So she still has a bit of a navy.

faint.

I enjoyed the episode overall. Danny was great in her exchange with Varys. That was one of the few times, if not the only time, I've seen Varys look so genuinely concerned. Arya reuniting with Nymeria was also great, and as others have theorized, I predict she's going to continue heading to KL. I would love to see her reunite with Jon and Sansa, though.

Sansa continues to annoy me and my hope is that Jon handing her the North while he's gone is enough to make her kill LF. Of course, when Jon learns of R+L=J it may also be him killing LF. Still hoping it's Sansa so that she can redeem herself even a little.

The Euron fight was fun. A bit heavy with the plot armor considering Yaara and sand-moms ships were the only one to not fall. Euron also took a hell of a beating and seemed fine.

Theon, aka Reek, continues to suck. He could kill Euron, Cersei, and whoever else and he'd still be a D-tier character. This forced PTSD gives me little hope for him.

kmax

The GODMODE on Euron is a bit ridiculous. Building those ships in record time with limited supply, stealthing the vast sea with his army of ships, ambushing with his invisible cloak like it was nothing. Ridiculous.

Guy is plot armored from here to Brooklyn.

TheFuzz

But after watching what you wanted me to watch it doesnt in anyway say that. Infact it says the opposite.

The last scene we see in the episode is with Nymeria, where she smiles and says "that's not you."

She's definitely turning around and heading for kings landing. The writers even alluded to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom