• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, the Mountain is getting another.

Jesus Christ how awfully directed that shipp battle was. Jesus. So many cuts, very dark and nothing made sense because all people have dark clothes all of a sudden.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I think that is exactly what she wants to avoid, but will automatically end up having to do, which is not gonna give her the best reputation in Westeros. Do people want to follow the daughter of the Man King who is doing exactly what he was doing, except ten times worse, and on top of that bringing the Dothraki over?

Everything was smoothed sailing until Euron fucked everything up. Now Dany is in a pretty tricky spot because, like you mentioned, the optics are gonna be real bad for her.
She wouldn't be doing what the Mad King did, but instead she'd be emulating the actions of her ancestors Aegon the Conquarer. Aegon is the reason Harrenhall is the way it is. Aegon and his sisters torched a combined army of tens of thousands on the battlefield. How many people do you hear shit talk Aegon?

I get that she doesn't want to be anything like Aegon, and would rather avoid as much bloodshed, but her being forced to fight wouldn't be mad king like.

The last scene we see in the episode is with Nymeria, where she smiles and says "that's not you."

She's definitely turning around and heading for kings landing. The writers even alluded to it.

giphy.gif

They literally said "she wanted her to come HOME with her.......but she realized she was doing the same thing she would do IF SHE WAS A WOLF."

let alone all the images of Arya in Stark gear they sent out for promotion, or the EW cover with the HUGE spoiler, shes going to Winterfell 100%.

Was a great ep, only real issue was how TV-like the final sea battle was. Nowhere near epic. Didn't expect BOTB or Hardhoam, but c'mon. That's some shit you see on USA network. I think a different director would have done a MUCH better job. Cuts every 2 seconds. Liked a few things in there and it was brutal the way Euron left 2/3 sisters in the shit for everyone to see, but the fighting, scale, and direction were very poorly done. It looks like this director is also doing episode 3. Hopefully there's no crazy fighting in that one and it's saved for other eps.

Dug all the other things. Jon and Danny are gonna eyefuck the second they meet, and then fuck like 2 episodes later. Sansa making good points about Danny IMO and if we didn't have the other perspectives, literally everyone would say "do not go".

Euron came to play. Don't think anyone is going to sleep on him after these two episodes now, viewers or players in the game. He seems like a wrench thrown into what we're used, and we have no idea what we're gonna end up with him in the mix now.

Arya hopefully meets Sansa by ep 3, and hoping Jon ends up meeting Dany by ep 4. Knowing Littlefinger, he's got spies going to kill Jon (if not part of the crew he's with). Tyrion had a fantastic plan, issue is time with white walkers and Euron fucking everything up. This might make Dany not trust his advice as much anymore. :\ Found it amusing that Lady Tyrell talks about surviving all clever men.. Breh, you have no heir. Just lost your son and both their kids. Loved the speech about peace though, throwing some of Dany's naivety out the window.

I have a feeling they take KL at the end of the season and one of the dragons dies as a consequence.

Missandei ..

swtn.gif

Well... her whole mission is the rule the 7 kingdoms and that includes the north. Of course she an just Marry Jon and and accomplish the same thing.

A couple of things I still want to see though.

Jon Interacting with Danny's dragons.
A Tyrion and Sansa reunion
Sansa and Arya reunite
Speak that gospel fam, speak. I want to see all those 3 tings happening.

Euron anytime he enters a room.
biDFHU0.gif
lmaoooo yesss.. He's low key becoming one of my faves until he starts killing some of my favorites and I end up hating him again. It's hilarious that there always has been some special kind of cunt running amok at all times in Westeros. He seems smarter than both Ramsey and the little shit though, better fighter and has the charisma on top of that. Very different compared to those two.

Given how many years it's been of "bad guys always win in GoT" and how it seemed to start to turn around with the Battle of The Bastards last season it's a bit disappointing to see the show return to "bad guys always win."

Like, I thought with the show entering the home stretch, that'd start to change a bit.
You're disappointed the story is told in a realistic manner just because it's ending? The show never had bad guys winning, it was always sometimes good guys win, other times bad guys win. Keep in mind what show you're watching.

large.gif

Nitsuj23

giphy.gif

They literally said "she wanted her to come HOME with her.......but she realized she was doing the same thing she would do IF SHE WAS A WOLF."

let alone all the images of Arya in Stark gear they sent out for promotion, or the EW cover with the HUGE spoiler, shes going to Winterfell 100%.

Lol I don't get how somelme could watch the post show discussion and think they were alluding to her going to King's Landing. Arya is obviously going to Winterfell.

TheFuzz

giphy.gif

Yeah, I COMPLETELY missed that sentence about going home with her. Thanks!

Sorry lads, carry on.

Paganmoon

The ship fight was really boring, right? felt like there were no real stakes, no way in hell Euron would die, and of course Yara/Dany would loose all those ships. Felt boring cause it was so utterly predictable.

Regarding the firebombs, I assumed some of those were wildfire.

Also was a quick turn around for Arya, I mean, she could've gone to King's Landing, killed Cersei and then headed home.

Edit: oh, this is the no book thread. Not that it really matters anymore, but I'll just head on over to the other thread again.

Thats a crazy interpretation thats not happening. They even spell out what it meant in tbe behind the scenes closer look after the show. She isnt heading to kings landing.

I haven't seen the Behind the Scenes (nor do I intend to, the material in the show is strong enough to stand on its own). It's entirely possible and not unlikely that she will indeed return to Winterfell, but the quote you were responding to initially was referring to the first interpretation of the quote, which isn't 'crazy' as you've claimed, as there's more than enough material in the series to suggest that. There is also enough material in the show to suggest the exact opposite. Neither however are 'crazy', both can be quite well supported, and if you want to try make that claim it's going to be an uphill climb for you, I believe, to make a strong and in-show supported argument that it's not a valid way to interpret her chance-encounter with Nymeria.

On a personal level, yes, I do believe they'll probably have her return to Winterfell (it's a more fitting plot line for her I feel, and doesn't put her in harm's way as clearly as going to King's Landing would) even though I think the former interpretation is a more well-supported reading, but ultimately the poster you were quoting originally did not miss what you claimed, they interpreted the line in a very valid way to interpret it; you interpret it differently. Neither are is inherently incorrect when both can be supported.

I enjoyed the episode overall. Danny was great in her exchange with Varys. That was one of the few times, if not the only time, I've seen Varys look so genuinely concerned. Arya reuniting with Nymeria was also great, and as others have theorized, I predict she's going to continue heading to KL. I would love to see her reunite with Jon and Sansa, though.

Sansa continues to annoy me and my hope is that Jon handing her the North while he's gone is enough to make her kill LF. Of course, when Jon learns of R+L=J it may also be him killing LF. Still hoping it's Sansa so that she can redeem herself even a little.

The Euron fight was fun. A bit heavy with the plot armor considering Yaara and sand-moms ships were the only one to not fall. Euron also took a hell of a beating and seemed fine.

Theon, aka Reek, continues to suck. He could kill Euron, Cersei, and whoever else and he'd still be a D-tier character. This forced PTSD gives me little hope for him.

redeem herself? Sansa is great! I also liked how Sansa said that Tyrion is a good man. You see how much her character has changed in comparison to season 1 where a suitor being a galant prince was the most important thing for her. Now she recognizes that out of all her suitors/husbands Tyrion probably was the best so far. Isnt she technically still tyrions wife though? Was the marriage ever officially annulled or divorced?

The ship fight was really boring, right? felt like there were no real stakes, no way in hell Euron would die, and of course Yara/Dany would loose all those ships. Felt boring cause it was so utterly predictable.

Also was a quick turn around for Arya, I mean, she could've gone to King's Landing, killed Cersei and then headed home.

Nah wildfire burns green.

My main problem with the fight was that they speed up the fight scenes. That shit always looks weird. Even in Mad Max: Fury Road it bothered me. Its usualy used to hide poor fight choreography ....maybe thats why the sand snakes didn't look Season 5 bad while fighting.

Also the scene with the lanisters soldiers talking about family was the setup for her decision to go home in this episode.

giphy.gif

Lol I don't get how somelme could watch the post show discussion and think they were alluding to her going to King's Landing. Arya is obviously going to Winterfell.

Yeah, I COMPLETELY missed that sentence about going home with her. Thanks!

Sorry lads, carry on.
We knew she was headed to Winterfell after learning of Jon. That was obvious.

What we were thinking is that her realizing "that's not you" has her changing her mind about heading home.

Or it could just be her being proud of her dog for being like her.... but she can't be like that herself right now.

Elandyll

Banned
Was a good ep overall, but Euron magical's fleet is kinda annoying.

Can't wait for what many have been awaiting for years and finally shown in next week's episode preview:
Jon finally meets Dany

PS: I waited to comment for ep 2 to be sure, but I can't believe the full leak of S7 was legit. Google it at your own risk. My own fault for being curious and not believing someone would do something that shitty.

I haven't seen the Behind the Scenes (nor do I intend to, the material in the show is strong enough to stand on its own). It's entirely possible and not unlikely that she will indeed return to Winterfell, but the quote you were responding to initially was referring to the first interpretation of the quote, which isn't 'crazy' as you've claimed, as there's more than enough material in the series to suggest that. There is also enough material in the show to suggest the exact opposite. Neither however are 'crazy', both can be quite well supported, and if you want to try make that claim it's going to be an uphill climb for you, I believe, to make a strong and in-show supported argument that it's not a valid way to interpret her chance-encounter with Nymeria.

On a personal level, yes, I do believe they'll probably have her return to Winterfell (it's a more fitting plot line for her I feel, and doesn't put her in harm's way as clearly as going to King's Landing would) even though I think the former interpretation is a more well-supported reading, but ultimately the poster you were quoting originally did not miss what you claimed, they interpreted the line in a very valid way to interpret it; you interpret it differently. Neither are is inherently incorrect when both can be supported.

In a series where they have to spoil whats going to happen in the previously on, because people have the memory of a peanut, here changing her mind would need to be hammered home in a much more direct way. Just like the Waife stabbing Arya last year, so many people couldn't accept that it was Arya who was stabbed, "look at the way she was walking.", "why would she throw around money like that?". Only to have it be her in the next episode. The series can be suprising at times but its never subtle. If she was going to change her mind again within one episode they would have made it crystal clear.

Meanwhile like I posted before the whole reason for that encounter with the soldiers wasnt to humanize the enemy, it was to remind her whats most important family, and thats where she is going once she learned her family had taken back Winterfell.

I hate Euron, but he killed the sandsnakes, so I guess he's alright?

Also, how did he know where they are and who was boarding the ships???

And, Nymeria bigger than the other dire wolves?

berzeli

Banned
I think I'm starting to get ready to drop GoT, the latest episode was like watching a slightly less dumb version of Batman v. Superman. It felt like it was all about moving characters to force conflicts/resolutions that need to happen for the plot to move forwards. Not because it matches the characters' motivation or personality.
And I liked last week's episode, hell I don't even mind season 5.

But this episode, as Vulture puts it:
“Stormborn” feels a bit dropped in from an alternate Scooby-Doo dimension, just boi-oi-oinging all over the place. Things seemed to work a little too neatly, a hair too fast to track logically.
Sam just happens to find a cure for greyscale in Bathilda Bagshot’s History of Magic...
Tyrion perfectly anticipates Cersei’s xenophobic rhetoric and thus perfectly plots to have only Westerosi forces siege King’s Landing...
Oh, and the word “prince” has no gender in High Valyrian, so yeah, that prophecy could totally be about Daenerys.
For some reason the writer doesn't feel the same way about Euron’s attack, but I feel it belongs in the same category. It is just too fucking neat to have him disrupt Tyrion's plan out of nowhere, with his fleet that he conjured from nothing.

It was first said about Westworld and it is starting to ring true for GoT, so allow me to paraphrase:
the fundamental insufficiency of Game of Thrones as a piece of art is becoming impossible to ignore even to the most fervent television evangelist, but the flagship prestige show on the flagship prestige network is simply too big to fail. So the Game of Thrones articles spit out by content-mills focuses mostly on decoding the show’s central plot mysteries (Who is the Azor Ahai? How will The Wall be destroyed? How will Grey Worm and Missandei have sex?), rather than analysis of banalities like “character” or “theme” or “emotional resonance.”
Anything to avoid the obvious fact that everyone watches the show because it has boobs and blood and because everyone else is watching it and it’s so lonely out here.

roytheone

I was surprised that Dany and Co didn't know about Jon snow being king in the north. You would think with a man like varys on your side that is important information that you would have.

Gattsu25

Banned
But killing Cersei will save thousands of lives. The Lannister men were loyal to Tywin because he commanded respect and was a capable diplomat. He had a strong will. Once Cersei is dead, Jaime will be named protector the realm or whatever dubious title they have for the him, and he'll see sense and surrender for the same reason.

Jaime has never once taken an action on this show that wasn't in direct response to the expectations of Tywin or Cersei. Whenever he's alone with one of the "good guys", he treats them with respect.
You're talking about the same Jamie that privately went all #Brexit (we need to keep these foreign hordes out of our land) in this episode?

I think the writers took everyone's hate of the sand snakes to heart.

Had people liked them more, they probably would have written them as the heroes.

I honestly think the writers have the fan's desires in mind, from here on out. Whether that's good or not, who knows.

It would have been a great moment for them to have teamed up to kill Euron. Oh well.
Rarely ever is that a good thing.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Where is Robyn Arryn? Shouldn't he be at Winterfell with the rest of the Vale? Only Littlefinger seems to be there.

I hope Arya has a friendship with Brienne if only to give her some inspiration as to her future. Her life has basically been all about revenge, now there's only cersei left. I can't see how she can adjust to be a lady. Winterfell is going to be difficult for her, especially without Jon there.

ramparter

Banned
You're disappointed the story is told in a realistic manner just because it's ending? The show never had bad guys winning, it was always sometimes good guys win, other times bad guys win. Keep in mind what show you're watching.

large.gif
This. The show isn't good vs bad. It's about being the most capable. Euron was better and more motivated. Also what is actually a bad guy or a good guy? Is Daenerys good for example? Will she be good when Jon doesn't kneel to her?

You're talking about the same Jamie that privately went all #Brexit (we need to keep these foreign hordes out of our land) in this episode?
Is it only me or Jamie doesn't seem to really care anymore and is only part of this because he loves Cersei?

Barzul

Edit: oh, this is the no book thread. Not that it really matters anymore, but I'll just head on over to the other thread again.

She didn't lose all the ships. Just the ones headed to Dorne.

All I'll say.

I saw Missandei in all her glory. I'm good.

Those dimples hnnggh

I think I'm starting to get ready to drop GoT, the latest episode was like watching a slightly less dumb version of Batman v. Superman. It felt like it was all about moving characters to force conflicts/resolutions that need to happen for the plot to move forwards. Not because it matches the characters' motivation or personality.
And I liked last week's episode, hell I don't even mind season 5.

But this episode, as Vulture puts it:

For some reason the writer doesn't feel the same way about Euron's attack, but I feel it belongs in the same category. It is just too fucking neat to have him disrupt Tyrion's plan out of nowhere, with his fleet that he conjured from nothing.

It was first said about Westworld and it is starting to ring true for GoT, so allow me to paraphrase:

A lot of what that writer complains about would be BASIC strategy for anyone even slightly interested in the conflict.

Ever since Dany planned on bringing the Dothraki to Westeros you could see that there would be a huge optics issue with using a foreign and hated army to conquer Westeros. This is an army known for being savages and raping. We see how hated the wildlings are for doing something similar, well the Dothraki are like wildlings turned up to 10. If Dany wins the war exactly whose lands are going to be given to these people? Will they completely change their ways and stop roaming and raping? These are questions any Westeros citizen would have. And an army of eunuchs? Have we not had enough seasons of people crapping on eunuchs? Tyrion could see the Westeros response to those armies an ocean away.

The Dorne issue? Well their army is in Dorne and they want to siege Kings Landing. The only way they are getting there is through a long march through the red mountains or by boat. Oh and let's look at the map, of you travel by boat from Dragonstone to Dorne you have to go right past Kings Landing, exactly where Euron was.

The Jorah thing. Did anyone expect him to find a cure he could administer himself? The Mormont connection between Sam and Jorah was staring you in the face ever since we saw his arm through the cell.

The true issue seems to be that the pacing is sped up considerably from previous seasons. Where before we had good nuggets of plot moving scenes spread out through numerous slogging episodes, now everything is condensed. So whereas before you would see a conflict it one episode and it's resolution 4 episodes later now we are seeing the conflict and resolution in the same hour block and some don't like that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This. The show isn't good vs bad. It's about being the most capable. Euron was better and more motivated. Also what is actually a bad guy or a good guy? Is Daenerys good for example? Will she be good when Jon doesn't kneel to her?

Is it only me or Jamie doesn't seem to really care anymore and is only part of this because he loves Cersei?
Dany is good, I don't know how you'd think otherwise. In this episode itself, she requested that Varys look her in the eye and tell her anytime she starts failing the people, and she also rejected a proposal to invade King's Landing due to the high civilian casualties it would cause. These are the qualities of a good person. Sure she's stubborn, and she's made mistakes, but Dany is good. Why does everyone expect Dany to straight up try to kill Jon? Look back at her meeting with Yara to see what Dany meeting people who are monarchs in their region looks like. This very episode as well, Yara was referred to as the Queen of the Iron Islands.

“Stormborn” feels a bit dropped in from an alternate Scooby-Doo dimension, just boi-oi-oinging all over the place. Things seemed to work a little too neatly, a hair too fast to track logically.
Sam just happens to find a cure for greyscale in Bathilda Bagshot’s History of Magic...
Tyrion perfectly anticipates Cersei’s xenophobic rhetoric and thus perfectly plots to have only Westerosi forces siege King’s Landing...
Oh, and the word “prince” has no gender in High Valyrian, so yeah, that prophecy could totally be about Daenerys.
I think those are kind of a stretch

He didn't happen to find it. The cure was always known by the maesters; it was just that no one wanted to do it because they all thought Jorah was a lost cause or the operation was too risky and unproven

Why wouldn't Tyrion predict the angle Cersei would take? It's not even much of a guess; they did land on the shores of Westeros with a Mongol-equivalent horde and an army of foreign super warriors.

And I felt that the exchange about the prophecy came across more as a means to keep the conversation amicable and the tone diplomatic and not some major twist/plot shift

Nameless

The fast cuts during the ship battle was mostly used to cover the up the Sandsnakes and Alfie's lack of action choreography ability. The camera lingered on Euron(when he wasn't fighting SS) and Yara quite a bit. After Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken I can't really blame Mylod there.

NandoGip

Is it just me or do things feel rushed? I hope they're just trying to tie up certain storylines so they can give the full spotlight to the ending

I think the writers took everyone's hate of the sand snakes to heart.

Had people liked them more, they probably would have written them as the heroes.

I honestly think the writers have the fan's desires in mind, from here on out. Whether that's good or not, who knows.

It would have been a great moment for them to have teamed up to kill Euron. Oh well.

Sincerely doubt this is what happened.

RDreamer

I keep thinking about how disappointed I've been in this season and the conclusions of the series at large. The writing has just taken such a massive dive, and now this season feels like they can't stand making this shit anymore and are just rushing toward the end to get it over with. Really bums me out because season 1-3 were like the pinnacle of fantasy in TV/Movie form. Obviously there were a few scenes that weren't quite that good, but nothing quite on the level of Euron the magic murderer, 20 good men, bad pussy, etc that came after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom