• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionX

Robin's loyalty lies with anyone who holds a shiny new toy in front of his face. Sansa could easily win him over if she wanted to.

why even have direwolves on the show in the first place then :(

if it is all about appeasing potential new viewers how are the millions+ of viewers who are familiar with the direwolves on screen supposed to feel about their nonchalant disappearance?

That could just be the kid of mid-journey course correction that businesses do with project budgets all the time.

HBO has spent a ton of money (relative to their overall size) on a show that is currently dominating the pop culture landscape and is also seen as being (generally) high quality. To the people setting these budgets, some ugly wolves on screen a few minutes a year aren't even on the radar.

Again, just guessing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Robin's loyalty lies with anyone who holds a shiny new toy in front of his face. Sansa could easily win him over if she wanted to.
Sansa would need to pull off some insane Jedi mind tricks to win him over Littlefinger.

but no one from the Vale likes him. Not Royce, not the knights; Sansa knows what he did to Jon Arryn and Lisa Arryn, she should use her knowledge to her advantage.

Jon should've also talked to Royce before he left. The Vale is not the north, but that was Royce's son in the opening scene of the whole show, and Jon has to be aware of the fact that Ned named him after Jon Arryn

Whoa, sir Royce had a son at the wall? I didn't know this.

Hearing isn't the same as believing. You've not explained why Robin would believe anyone over Littlefinger.
Yes I did. Whether or not you are satisfied with what I said is your problem. Robin cares about Sansa, if she has something to say to him, he will hear her out; and Sansa has been developed enough at this point that she'll probably know how to convince Robin to side with her.
He might because Sansa is prettier than Little Finger? Robin seems like the kind of guy who'd do that.
They were even down to get married. Both of them, mutually.
Also, aren't Sansa and Robin relatives?
"she's my cousin. we should help her."
That could just be the kid of mid-journey course correction that businesses do with project budgets all the time.

HBO has spent a ton of money (relative to their overall size) on a show that is currently dominating the pop culture landscape and is also seen as being (generally) high quality. To the people setting these budgets, some ugly wolves on screen a few minutes a year aren't even on the radar.

Again, just guessing.
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things perhaps the direwolves don't matter but for fans like me who care, it does matter since I have been following the show from the beginning and want more out of the direwolves on screen; as does, clearly, many others.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
those pups look fine to me. if they can manage to pull off direwolves with their current budget than they should have. as long as they don't look like the deer from the walkin dead which nothing in thrones ever has

a5b4eaaff08e894c73abd9a14951c1ed.gif

Oh my god

televator

The exact conversation is:

Bran: (As Dayne & the other Targeryan soldier walk past) "Ser Arthur Dayne"

Three-Eyed Raven: "The Sword of the Morning"

Bran: "Father said he was the best swordsman he ever saw."

I don't know how from that brief exchange you would surmise that they were talking about a sword. I also don't see how the sword is prominent or focused on. Ned grabs a blade off the floor to finish Dayne after Meera's father injures him, but the blade itself is not made out to be special. Unless you can link a video with a time-stamp of when this took place?

In the very video I linked Dayne plants the sword right between himself and Ned. Right in the middle of the shot.

The next time Bran visits the scene to see what happened up in the tower...
Chekov's sword gets rested at the foot of Liana's bed, centre frame. It's blatantly making a comeback.

aWfnRdz.jpg

Ned rests the sword in front of the camera and is the one thing in focus. But whatevs... as long as I'm not being accused of being a book reader for shit that is right in the show, I'm good. I just thought it could be an interesting thread to look into and discus.

nbraun80

I am really disappointed at how this series has dropped in quality. The amount of holes is absolutely crazy and the amount of stupid things happening is getting too much...

How Euron was able to ambush those ships without ANYONE ever noticing him (and we are not talking about random folk but sea-born soldiers) is just something I might accept from another series, not GOT. Then during the battle it seems like he has equipped the "strictly 1 vs 1 perk"...

Danny decides to speak to Varys now, after arriving at Dragonstone, the entire journey aboard the ships I guess they were playing cards or something far more important than making that speech...

Dont know what the writers are thinking lately, but this is getting worse and worse... sure I can understand some lenience, but the eye-rolling material is getting too much.
Honestly I think it's kinda silly how people are getting all nit-picky all of the sudden. I'm sure you could go back through season by season and pick at things. Like probably the best received episode, Battle of the Bastards, had Jon standing in the middle of a battlefield alone with thousands of horses running at him from both sides, and he magically just sidesteps through all of that. Where you up in arms about that? Because to me it makes more sense that an experienced sea exile could find and track a boats with ironborn sigals that he knew was at dragonstone than that.

Yeah, when a show has produced 60 hours or whatever of content, there are always going to be plot holes. Doubly so for shows with a lot of plot twists. It's all about picking your battles (terrible, sorry!).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I think it's kinda silly how people are getting all nit-picky all of the sudden. I'm sure you could go back through season by season and pick at things. Like probably the best received episode, Battle of the Bastards, had Jon standing in the middle of a battlefield alone with thousands of horses running at him from both sides, and he magically just sidesteps through all of that. Where you up in arms about that? Because to me it makes more sense that an experienced sea exile could find and track a boats with ironborn sigals that he knew was at dragonstone than that.

You can nitpick early on sure, but the groundwork for everything was laid out beforehand.

This season in particular is feeling really rushed, and I can't imagine being able to sneak up with an army of boats. Battle of the Bastards was an entire episode of build up and anticipation.

Volimar

In the very video I linked Dayne plants the sword right between himself and Ned. Right in the middle of the shot.

The next time Bran visits the scene to see what happened up in the tower...

Ned rests the sword in front of the camera and is the one thing in focus. But whatevs... as long as I'm not being accused of being a book reader for shit that is right in the show, I'm good. I just thought it could be an interesting thread to look into and discus.

I'm sorry for jumping the gun with regards to book stuff. I was trying to cut off book discussion at the pass since the inclusion of the sword and the very image you posted is a nod to book readers that I was spoiled on. I was trying to spare the thread from book talk, not get you into trouble.

nbraun80

You can nitpick early on sure, but the groundwork for everything was laid out beforehand.

This season in particular is feeling really rushed, and I can't imagine being able to sneak up with an army of boats. Battle of the Bastards was an entire episode of build up and anticipation.
I don't agree at all. I don't need to see Euron tailing them and telling his men that they'll ambush them at night. Again I find it way more believable that an experienced sea pirate can ambush unsuspecting boats in the dead of night, than Jon standing in the middle of a thousand horse sandwich and walking out.

televator

I'm sorry for jumping the gun with regards to book stuff. I was trying to cut off book discussion at the pass since the inclusion of the sword and the very image you posted is a nod to book readers that I was spoiled on. I was trying to spare the thread from book talk, not get you into trouble.

No harm, no foul. So no worries. Kinda wish I did have the time to read those massive tomes though, but between working 6 days a week right now and all my vidya games, that ain't gonna happen. I was spoiled on Joffrey's death and its gotten a lot harder to distinguish what's a genuine book reveal, vs. show material, vs promotional/DVD extras as the seasons have stacked up.

Rolfgang

The quality of the series have dropped extremely after season 4. The dialogues, decisions of characters, completely forgotten history between characters and yes, a whole lot of 'nit-picky things'.

For me the best episode is Battle of Blackwater Bay and the Battle of the Bastards doesn't even come close to that episode.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't agree at all. I don't need to see Euron tailing them and telling his men that they'll ambush them at night. Again I find it way more believable that an experienced sea pirate can ambush unsuspecting boats in the dead of night, than Jon standing in the middle of a thousand horse sandwich and walking out.

You don't have to see Euron, that scene could have used some tension built up though.

Show his ships waiting for them in the distance to give the viewers some sense of dread for these character's lives. It would be too late for them to turn back, and you could have given each of them a moment of screentime to reinforce what drives them.

Instead his ships attack without warning in the middle of the ocean, and we had a moment of nothingess between Yara and Ellaria with Theon as window dressing.

The quality of the series have dropped extremely after season 4. The dialogues, decisions of characters, completely forgotten history between characters and yes, a whole lot of 'nit-picky things'.

For me the best episode is Battle of Blackwater Bay and the Battle of the Bastards doesn't even come close to that episode.

sounds like season 5 was the worst season, perhaps it was but the series was upped again with season 6

The writing is better but everything else its not even a contest.

Rolfgang

season 1 kinda bored me when i first started. i think season 6 is the best season. with Jon and Dany about to meet, season 7 is tracking to be even better.

I detest Dany with every bone in my body (and the fact that people still call her Khaleesi, altough she isn't a Khaleesi anymore since season 1). So the greater focus on her is not a plus in my point of view.

Stannis, Tywin, Roose, now those were some great characters!

I detest Dany with every bone in my body (and the fact that people still call her Khaleesi, altough she isn't a Khaleesi anymore since season 1). So the greater focus on her is not a plus in my point of view.

Stannis, Tywin, Roose, now those were some great characters!
Stannis was a scum fuck who prayed for Robb Stark's death and burned his daughter alive
Tywin is a power hungry war monger motherfucker who employs the mountain to burn villages
Roose Bolton, among many "detestable" things that can be said about him, I'll just mention one: is a rapist

Fuck them all.

Jon x Daenerys is all that matters

Rolfgang

Stannis was a scum fuck who prayed for Robb Stark's death and burned his daughter alive
Tywin is a power hungry war monger motherfucker who employs the mountain to burn villages
Roose Bolton, among many "detestable" things that can be said about him, I'll just mention one: is a rapist

Fuck them all.

Yes they did some deplorable stuff, but that makes them real characters. People in history did stuff like that, not acting like goody two shoes all the time. The world of Westeros isn't like Middle-Earth, where characters were black or white (except for Boromir, which is why he was such a great character). People are grey, who do good ánd bad things, be it for survival, their own sense of 'good' or other reasons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just feel like Littlefinger's story isn't going anywhere; he feels like he has nothing to do with the plot beyond leaning against walls and giving knowing looks at this point, and it simultaneously feels like the plot doesn't have time to give him anything to do.

Yes they did some deplorable stuff, but that makes them real characters. People in history did stuff like that, not acting like goody two shoes all the time. The world of Westeros isn't like Middle-Earth, where characters were black or white (except for Boromir, which is why he was such a great character). People are grey, who do good ánd bad things, be it for survival, their own sense of 'good' or other reasons.
They're all real characters, I think what you meant is they are not one dimensional characters.

Even if Westeros is not Middle Earth, all this shit is all still fictional, and all fake. So it was satisfying as fuck to finally see the villain last season get fucked.

Fuck them all.

lol

People like you is why this show is so damn safe. Tywin is evil for burning villages but Dany is a god for burning children alive with her dragons. WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS
pxjhnw2.gif

Rolfgang

They're all real characters, I think what you meant is they are not one dimensional characters.

Even if Westeros is not Middle Earth, all this shit is all still fictional, and all fake. So it was satisfying as fuck to finally see the villain last season get fucked.

Well, even though it's fictional, a lot of characters and events are based on English or British history. The Black Dinner/Red Wedding is the most obvious, but there is tons of stuff like that.

I was in Germany in the spring and they got a replica of the armor of an Austrian knight at the castle of Cochem. The guy was 2,31m. Today a giant, but back in medieval times a goddamn titan. Or dare I say a... Mountain?

I just feel like Littlefinger's story isn't going anywhere; he feels like he has nothing to do with the plot beyond leaning against walls and giving knowing looks at this point, and it simultaneously feels like the plot doesn't have time to give him anything to do.

Throughout the series he has always been making moves and hatching schemes. Now it's like he didn't expect to get this far and has no idea what to do.

I'm sure something is going to go down while Jon's gone, but I agree that so far his plot is lame this season.

lol

People like you is why this show is so damn safe.
"people like me" want the direwolves to play a bigger role. so if the show is "safe" coz of me where the fuck are the direwolves my man?
Tywin is evil for burning villages but Dany is a god for burning children alive with her dragons. WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS
pxjhnw2.gif
Dany is not a god. What is a god to a nonbeliever?

Dany was visibly shook as fuck when she found out her dragons burned children alive; she locked them up for that. She might've even teared up. Tywin on the other hand orders such things to happen. So fuck him.
Well, even though it's fictional, a lot of characters and events are based on English or British history. The Black Dinner/Red Wedding is the most obvious, but there is tons of stuff like that.

I was in Germany in the spring and they got a replica of the armor of an Austrian knight the castle of Cochem. The guy was 2,31m. Today a giant, but back in medieval times a goddamn titan. Or dare I say a... Mountain?
key words: based on English or British history. The way they normalize the show with politics makes for good entertainment, but at the end of the day that's its purpose; entertainment. It's not education or history lessons.

Rolfgang

key words: based on English or British history. The way they normalize the show with politics makes for good entertainment, but at the end of the day that's its purpose; entertainment. It's not education or history lessons.

True, but personally for me, grey characters are more believable and thus, for me, provide better entertainment compared to Dany, Jon and the likes.

True, but personally for me, grey characters are more believable and thus, for me, provide better entertainment compared to Dany, Jon and the likes.
Jaime is still kinda grey. Dany is tiptoeing towards grey too with her throwing around power driven threats and demands.

I mean.. the last two times I thought that, he had a King killed and we found out he's the one that orchestrated this era's entire game of thrones. Don't sleep on LF

Rolfgang

Jaime is still kinda grey. Dany is tiptoeing towards grey too with her throwing around power driven threats and demands.

Jaime is indeed a great character. He remains loyal to his sister, but is strongly voiced in his doubts and opinion, which he is not afraid to share with others.

What I don't like about Dany is that her 'hard ruler' moments are coming across really strange. Like the stuff with Varys, why not voice those suspicions earlier? Why cast the seed of doubt right before one of the hardest moments in her career as Queen? It isn't really good advertisement for an invading Queen to burn loyal advisors alive from one day to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom