• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never understand people liking Stannis

I'll never understand them liking him, but I'll really never understand the whole rabid "STANNIS THE MANNIS HERPDERP" fandom. He's uninteresting in the show. He's uninteresting in the books. He's the king no one wanted or asked for.

Surfinn

I'll never understand them liking him, but I'll really never understand the whole rabid "STANNIS THE MANNIS HERPDERP" fandom. He's uninteresting in the show. He's uninteresting in the books. He's the king no one wanted or asked for.
Yup there is literally nothing good about him I don't get it

Volimar

That Alt Shift X video brought to my attention something I missed. Hot Pie tells Arya that Cersei was the one that blew up the sept. So it must be common knowledge. I wonder if she even tried to spin it.

Nameless

I and others laid out why we find him to be a fascinating character the last couple of pages. You don't have to agree , but it's not at all hard to understand.

Surfinn

I and others laid out why we find him to be a fascinating character the last couple of pages. You don't have to agree , but it's not at all hard to understand.
Yeah I'll concede that his story is very interesting. But he's an evil asshole so I don't get why people root him on

Among the leads, Kit Harrington probably the worst actor, with Emilia Clarke right up there with him. Which is sad considering they're the main characters. That contributes to their lame/borefest status no doubt.

Yea, they're both very bad. And they seem worse this season because they are delivering more "commanding" lines that require more acting muscles.

Compared to how Olenna commands the screen with very little lines.

I find the older actors hold the show together: Olenna, Tywin, Maester Luwin, Aemon, etc...

jett

D-Member
That Alt Shift X video brought to my attention something I missed. Hot Pie tells Arya that Cersei was the one that blew up the sept. So it must be common knowledge. I wonder if she even tried to spin it.

Did she try to spin it? I think the showrunners just don't care about any obvious ramifications. Totally glossed over it.

gun_haver

On the other hand, I think Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington are fine as actors in this show, never really think 'wow that's bad acting', even if their style isn't my favourite but that's mostly on the writing.

I also enjoyed Stannis and I think Euron is kind of fun. I liked his big dumb landing onto the ship and his manic glee.

The show is sloppier now, no denying it, but I don't think it's any one actor or character. It's a general sloppiness towards the logistics and motivations of what is going on - they're speeding the plot along too quickly in some places and it's hurting the overall picture.

It hasn't gone to shit or anything, there's still more than enough interesting things going on, really. Game Of Thrones has been flawed since episode one, there were always storylines and tonal issues that annoyed or bored me, that hasn't changed, but the criticisms I have of it have changed.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did she try to spin it? I think the showrunners just don't care about any obvious ramifications. Totally glossed over it.
I think it's pretty clear in season 6 everyone knows but can't do shit about it. What are a bunch of randons gonna do against an army?

jett

D-Member
I think it's pretty clear in season 6 everyone knows but can't do shit about it. What are a bunch of randons gonna do against an army?

A bunch of randoms? You mean the population of King's Landing? Rioting is a thing, you know.

Elandyll

Banned
I think both Harrington and (a little less so) Clarke are doing fine with what they're given, though clearly being amongst the least seasoned actors on the show with the most screen time.

In Kit's case, it's clear he's being asked to be somber, brooding and depressed with the weight of the world on his shoulders, while not being a super eloquent/ charismatic leader, and I think he conveys that very well even if it doesn't make for a very exciting character in some ways.

Einchy

A bunch of randoms? You mean the population of King's Landing? Rioting is a thing, you know.
They just saw what happens when you fuck with Cersei, no one is gonna riot with sticks and stones against an army that is willing to blow you the hell up in their own capital.

I think both Harrington and (a little less so) Clarke are doing fine with what they're given, though clearly being amongst the least seasoned actors on the show with the most screen time.

In Kit's case, it's clear he's being asked to be somber, brooding and depressed with the weight of the world on his shoulders, while not being a super eloquent/ charismatic leader, and I think he conveys that very well even if it doesn't make for a very exciting character in some ways.

I mean, yea.

He has basically seen the end of the world and is being tasked to deal with it solo.

Venture

I also think since Jon has been resurrected Kit's trying to play him as a little dead inside. Like part of him is missing.

Nameless

Yeah I'll concede that his story is very interesting. But he's an evil asshole so I don't get why people root him on

Not about to start a retread of the Cersei debate. Burning Shireen was an objectively evil and barbaric thing to do. No arguments there. But his motivations weren't that simple.

Maybe I've been digesting this story incorrectly, but with both the show and source material there are only a handful of characters I'd simply label as evil and leave it at that. Things tend to exist in these complex shades of grey, which is far more compelling to me than binary notions of good & evil. Stannis as the rigidly dutiful, misguided, delusional fool reads better IMO than Stannis as nothing more than an evil asshole.

As to why people root for for him, he was a unique type of underdog much of his arc and a natural side to support after House Stark fell. Plus Dillane's performance was incredible.

jett

D-Member
They just saw what happens when you fuck with Cersei, no one is gonna riot with sticks and stones against an army that is willing to blow you the hell up in their own capital.

I think you forget they threw poop at the King himself and almost-raped his bride-to-be once. They don't give a fuck. Cersei being so effortlessly in control of the city makes very little sense after she destroyed the people's most important and beloved religious temple, figurehead and Queen. It really annoys me how shit is just falling on her lap.

Einchy

I think you forget they threw poop at the King himself and almost-raped his bride-to-be once. They don't give a fuck. Cersei being so in control of the city makes very little sense after she destroyed the people's most important and beloved religious temple, figurehead and Queen.
And a bunch of them got murdered when that happened, and then she blew everyone the hell up. Rioting would just get them all killed.

Everyone is just scared to do anything, just watch the end of season 6 again, everyone is just watching her get crowned in complete silence. They don't like it but what can they do against her forces? Throw poop and die?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because they laughably made him super OP in combat in the battle for King's Landing in season 2.

jett

D-Member
And a bunch of them got murdered when that happened, and then she blew everyone the hell up. Rioting would just get them all killed.

Everyone is just scared to do anything, just watch the end of season 6 again, everyone is just watching her get crowned in complete silence. They don't like it but what can they do against her forces? Throw poop and die?

By everyone you mean her soldiers and remaining toadies inside the throne room?

I just will never find believable how clean and calm Cersei's reign appears to be.

Einchy

I just will never find believable how clean and calm Cersei's reign appears to be.
Everyone = a bunch of the higherclass and nobles

If anything, those are the people more in position to actually do something but they want unless they want the mountain to crush their skulls.

And I'm not sure if blowing up a whole church is considered clean and calm.

Volimar

I hope Jon meeting Dany isn't the end of the episode. Like he goes into the throne room and sees her there and then they share a look and cut to credits. I want some interaction.

Goodstyle

No, there were citizens during the coronation scene, watch it again.

Also, I think you're underestimating the climate of fear that Cersei produced in the capital. She's got Qyburn in control of murderous little birds, and the Mountain roaming around the streets literally murdering people just for talking shit about her. There's also the fact that she's blown up an entire section of the city.

People are scared as shit, way more terrified than they ever were under Joffrey. Maybe if Cersei roamed the streets alone, she'd be mobbed, but I think I have to stress again that this is a place where you can potentially be murdered just for speaking badly about her. I think everyone's forgetting that scene with the Mountain and the drunk peeing guy and how frightening the implication behind it was. Combine that with the knowledge that she has ears everywhere.

Finally, far less terrifying regimes have gotten away with a lot worse than what Cersei did in the past. Kings and dictators have intentionally starved their entire populations before with the people doing nothing in response. Cersei literally has a death squad roaming the streets with spies everywhere, but somehow it's inconceivable that people would be too afraid to stand up to her. Please.

Sephzilla

I'm kind of wondering how much shit is going to go down next episode. There's the possibility that Varys tells Jon Snow about Littlefinger selling out Ned Stark. What happens if Davos tells Danny about what Melisandre did to Stannis's daughter?

After watching this show aptly for it's entire seasons, Only one thing is proven beyond reasonable doubt; Danerys, Arya and Brandon are guilty of fraud.

Emilia Clarke, this fly-by-night pretty girl, who's been tapped the "It" actor of the moment, makes walking and talking seem so difficult, that by the end of each episode, you just wish someone would let her rest.

Also by the way, I know the show-runners and I guess at this point the author himself, have acknowledged that they suck at maintaining timelines in terms of travel.

But you really have to scratch your head at like, Jon Snow, going from Hardhome, to the Wall now to Winterfell, now he's going to go to the deep south and back again.

And this is just in season 6.

What in the sweet heck, are the white walkers actually doing up there? I mean every season it's pretty much the same shot of them walking in place. I mean they bashed up Brans hidey hole, and that was last season. And still they walk in place. Lazy, lazy, White Walkers.

At this point it will be insulting if there isn't any narrative exposition as to what the heck is it is they are doing up there and what the heck is taking them so long to even get to the wall.

By the time they've got to the Wall, Jorah has pretty much circumvented the freaking globe! Contrivant bullshit if you ask me!

pablito

What in the sweet heck, are the white walkers actually doing up there? I mean every season it's pretty much the same shot of them walking in place. I mean they bashed up Brans hidey hole, and that was last season. And still they walk in place. Lazy, lazy, White Walkers.

At this point it will be insulting if there isn't any narrative exposition as to what the heck is it is they are doing up there and what the heck is taking them so long to even get to the wall.

This is the one complaint I have about the travel in the show. I can accept things like they're not going to waste time showing the travel and what not. But the White Walkers are also traveling. Just how fucking slow are they?

And Danny has been on the wrong end of a child sacrifice to black magic before. Melisandre is fucked if Davos brings that up.

Yep, and unlike Stannis, Dany has actual compassion for innocents.

well then how come she don't give a fuck for Myrcella's death? Dany's got no love for either Baratheons or Lannisters, both families killed her family, she didn't give a fuck when Tyrion bbrought up Myrcella to Elaria which I'm mad about that too because Tyrion should be angrier about that, dude was way too calm & passive the 1 time it was brought up

but anyways, Dany shut that shit down quick and never kicked Elaria off the team. And Elaria's murder was worse coz it was just bloodthirsty revenge and not some twisted religious fanatic being too fucking cocky.

So why would Dany care if she found out Melisandre killed princess Shireen Baratheon?

Sephzilla

I have to believe the White Walkers are waiting for the right time to strike and aren't actually just slowly moving. I mean, look at how fast they got to Bran after he got marked? They could totally storm the wall now if they wanted

well then how come she don't give a fuck for Myrcella's death? Dany's got no love for either Baratheons or Lannisters, both families killed her family, she didn't give a fuck when Tyrion bbrought up Myrcella to Elaria which I'm mad about that too because Tyrion should be angrier about that, dude was way too calm & passive the 1 time it was brought up

but anyways, Dany shut that shit down quick and never kicked Elaria off the team. And Elaria's murder was worse coz it was just bloodthirsty revenge and not some twisted religious fanatic being too fucking cocky.

So why would Dany care if she found out Melisandre killed princess Shireen Baratheon?

When was it brought up that Tyrion knows about Myrcella ?

This is the one complaint I have about the travel in the show. I can accept things like they're not going to waste time showing the travel and what not. But the White Walkers are also traveling. Just how fucking slow are they?

I mean they seemed pretty damn mobile when you saw them in Hardhome and in the ravens treehome.

Dang, they were skittering along the ceilings and walls!

Maybe they have a weird stamina system, like in 28 days later. They only start gunning it when they see human flesh.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I'm just guessing, but maybe they can only "live" in cold weather, so they were waiting for winter to be in most of Westeros before attacking?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I mean there's a reason why the white walkers haven't crossed the wall for hundreds of years. I doubt even if they wanted to that they could just pass by. Seems like something recent must be the trigger. Also their weakness seems to be fire. Attacking during summer doesn't seem all that wise.

I'm just guessing, but maybe they can only "live" in cold weather, so they were waiting for winter to be in most of Westeros before attacking?

latest

There is Hardhome, in relation to the Wall which is that line.

Think about how far Jon Snow is gonna be travelling to go to Dragonstone. Think when they hit Hardhome. They've been around that position now for a a season.

There *has* to be an episode, where something explains the White Walker laziness.

Volimar

The fact that Dany handwaved Myrcella's murder, or at least didn't seem phased by it makes me worry about what the dothraki are going to get away with in the name of conquest.

Volimar

There is Hardhome, in relation to the Wall which is that line.

Think about how far Jon Snow is gonna be travelling to go to Dragonstone. Think when they hit Hardhome. They've been around that position now for a a season.

There *has* to be an episode, where something explains the White Walker laziness.

Apple Maps

Ros8105

Good point. I wonder how this Melisandre thing will play out in the show. They can't just ignore it...

Good point. I wonder how this Melisandre thing will play out in the show. They can't just ignore it...

Davos will for sure be furious at the sight of her. If Jon did care for Shireen and didn't just banish Melisandre out of respect for Davos, then he too should be feeling dismal if he sees her again.

Not only that but (if it is brought up) another difference between the murders are that Myrcella was poisoned and Shireen was burned alive; the latter is a method of execution that Dany is quite fond of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom