• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
There is Hardhome, in relation to the Wall which is that line.

Think about how far Jon Snow is gonna be travelling to go to Dragonstone. Think when they hit Hardhome. They've been around that position now for a a season.

There *has* to be an episode, where something explains the White Walker laziness.

They've been waiting for Bran to cross the wall which may break its magic barrier. Literally the boy who ruins everything.

live-breaky-ownnews-com-trial-meme-breaking-news-local-boy-ruinseverything-7712318.png

Ah thanks, I forgot about that.

Tyrion seemed like he was about to go off on her a little bit about it (he seemed upset). What's odd is Danny not caring much about it

Exactly. Unless she holds contempt like Elaria does for the simple fact that Myrcella was born into the Lannister family; if Dany cares about Shireen's execution and not Myrcella's that's just bad, forgetful writing; both families killed hers.

pablito

I mean they seemed pretty damn mobile when you saw them in Hardhome and in the ravens treehome.

Dang, they were skittering along the ceilings and walls!

Maybe they have a weird stamina system, like in 28 days later. They only start gunning it when they see human flesh.

Thinking back to the scene where Bran gets grabbed by NK. They were kinda just standing there. Maybe they like to just....chill out sometimes XD

I'm just guessing, but maybe they can only "live" in cold weather, so they were waiting for winter to be in most of Westeros before attacking?

Doesn't sound too bad. Fire kills them right? Maybe heat in general hurts them.

I mean there's a reason why the white walkers haven't crossed the wall for hundreds of years. I doubt even if they wanted to that they could just pass by. Seems like something recent must be the trigger. Also their weakness seems to be fire. Attacking during summer doesn't seem all that wise.

Yeah, like the quote above. Maybe there's something to that.

Also...maybe they're going around gathering more dead bodies to add to their army. I could accept that.

Sephzilla

Exactly. Unless she holds contempt like Elaria does for the simple fact that Myrcella was born into the Lannister family; if Dany cares about Shireen's execution and not Myrcella's that's just bad, forgetful writing; both families killed hers.

Maybe she'll care about Shireen's death more because the person mourning her isn't even from Shireen's family?

OrionX

Yeah that scene felt awkward to me. Like the writers knew they needed to address it but didn't want to waste time on it. The only explanation I can think of is that Dany knows she needs as many allies as possible right now. Elaria would seem more useful to her than a single red priestess. One look at Davos' tearful, betrayed face as he talks about little Shireen and she may be convinced to roast the witch. :p

Gin-Shiio

So I finally got around to watching the latest episode, and I found it to be utterly forgettable for the most part, and embarrassingly bad in some. Nevermind the fact each time Euron is on screen I feel like I am watching a different (and worse) show, the dialogue and writing really fell flat for me. This is how they conveniently get to write out Dorne, the place they never knew why they even bothered introduce: in an embarrassingly bad ship assault scene?

D&D: "Phew, well that plot is done with."

At least Sam was actually likable this episode, and Arya's scene with the wolves was great.

5/10
And I don't even usually give scores!

Croc

Banned
Yeah I'm gonna be really disappointed if they don't kill off Euron before the end of the season. I mean, I'm not expecting them to. But the longer he's around the more disappointing it'll be.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Euron is done for before we get to The Night King, there's so need for him since it will all be on the ground.

Yeah that scene felt awkward to me. Like the writers knew they needed to address it but didn't want to waste time on it. The only explanation I can think of is that Dany knows she needs as many allies as possible right now. Elaria would seem more useful to her than a single red priestess. One look at Davos' tearful, betrayed face as he talks about little Shireen and she may be convinced to roast the witch. :p

Yes, exactly this. Peter Dinklage's line in that scene sounded like its purpose was to solely to let the audience know that Tyrion became aware of Myrcella's poisoning at Elaria's hand at some point, and nothing more. Unless they visit this again.

Nameless

One look at Davos' tearful, betrayed face as he talks about little Shireen and she may be convinced to roast the witch. :p

Forgiving your disrespect towards the most holy of women, I don't see Mel dying before crossing paths with Arya again.

5956b0217de778cf3dd38cca980de95d89f414c9_hq.jpg

J2 Cool

I think Kit Harrington is pretty great, he's just playing a subdued character. Emilia Clarke is the only one I can't take often. It doesn't help her character's full of self-righteous, simple lines either. Tough to like.

OrionX

Forgiving your disrespect towards the most holy of women, I don't see Mel dying before crossing paths with Arya again.

5956b0217de778cf3dd38cca980de95d89f414c9_hq.jpg

Oh shit I totally forgot about that. I'm gonna sound like a total hypocrite since I cheered for Stannis' death, but I actually don't particularly want Melisandre to die. I've always enjoyed her mysterious presence, and it was really interesting to see her confidence so visibly shattered when she realized she was wrong about Stannis, as if it was the first time she'd ever doubted herself and her purpose.

Grinchy

Banned
I think Kit Harrington is pretty great, he's just playing a subdued character. Emilia Clarke is the only one I can't take often. It doesn't help her character's full of self-righteous, simple lines either. Tough to like.

I've had slightly less of a problem with her this season for some reason. Maybe it's just because it's my first watch of these episodes. Or maybe they flew in the Han Solo acting coach at the last minute for her.

well then how come she don't give a fuck for Myrcella's death? Dany's got no love for either Baratheons or Lannisters, both families killed her family, she didn't give a fuck when Tyrion bbrought up Myrcella to Elaria which I'm mad about that too because Tyrion should be angrier about that, dude was way too calm & passive the 1 time it was brought up

but anyways, Dany shut that shit down quick and never kicked Elaria off the team. And Elaria's murder was worse coz it was just bloodthirsty revenge and not some twisted religious fanatic being too fucking cocky.

So why would Dany care if she found out Melisandre killed princess Shireen Baratheon?

I suppose you've got a good point, but I wonder if that's cause Tyrion didn't make a great big deal of it like I know Davos will.

FiggyCal

Banned
I feel like people need to get over Euron. He's not the character you wanted him to be and his navy makes no sense. Too bad... it's too late to fix that now. The writers kind of screwed themselves over with his introduction last season anyway ("let's go murder them") and what he's become is probably the best they can do.

I will say that, the further the show runners move away from GRR Martins' work, the more it's apparent that they kinda suck.

Some of the earlier stuff in the seasons, was straight lifted from the books. And it felt really good, really atmospheric and really intriguing.

I'm not saying it's getting season 6 lost bad. But it's certainly collapsing under the weight of it's own hype train.

I'd say the death of Joffre or perhaps the death of Tywin, was the flash point where things started to decline rapidly in terms of quality for me.

I remember rolling my eyes a whole bunch at some of the lame theories this forum was putting out there in the previous season thread, speculating what this new season would be about. And it's like the show runners were browsing gaf and saying "uuuh good idea!"

Super telegraphed exposition, super in your face dialogues. Little to no nuance anymore, it's like the main message of the show is; "Let's Get This Over With"

Timbuktu

I would maintain that Dorne is the obvious place where it fell into bits, altoigh you are right in that they really struggled to replace Tywin. When they killed adorable is when any hope for character nuance went out of the window. These last dozen episodes will mainly be about action, set pieces and I appreciate any effort in actually being it all to a conclusion of some kind.

I think Stannis character is well liked because he was a man of hard steel and conviction to begin with. His gruff and resolute manner in how he operated was super believable in the show. His command at the blackwater bay fight after his fleet got decimated was also pretty charismatic and believable.

His mannerisms fit the show well. He obviously got more and more corrupted by Mellisandre and her cadre of true believers and that was his downfall that cost him. People enjoy tragic figures.

FiggyCal

Banned
I will say that, the further the show runners move away from GRR Martins' work, the more it's apparent that they kinda suck.

Some of the earlier stuff in the seasons, was straight lifted from the books. And it felt really good, really atmospheric and really intriguing.

I'm not saying it's getting season 6 lost bad. But it's certainly collapsing under the weight of it's own hype train.

I'd say the death of Joffre or perhaps the death of Tywin, was the flash point where things started to decline rapidly in terms of quality for me.

I remember rolling my eyes a whole bunch at some of the lame theories this forum was putting out there in the previous season thread, speculating what this new season would be about. And it's like the show runners were browsing gaf and saying "uuuh good idea!"

Super telegraphed exposition, super in your face dialogues. Little to no nuance anymore, it's like the main message of the show is; "Let's Get This Over With"

It makes me super exited to return to the books. Maybe its for the best - that is, if GRRM ever finishes it.

Edit: I agree that after season 4 there was a noticeable drop in quality. Even then, the show manages to be some of the best written t.v. especially that last episode of season 6

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Last season was great though, but I don't know how much of that came from Martin himself.

This season definitely feels like something else though.

pablito

but yeah that was one of my other complaints; Tyrion should be disgusted, and furious with Elaria. He loved his niece.

How possible is it that Tyrion doesn't know? The only one of Dany's camp I'd count on knowing about it Varys (and Ellaria). I could see Varys withholding that information since he went to Dorne and brokered the alliance. If that's something he had planned, keeping that from Tyrion is obvious. That could create tension, but nothing a conversation wouldn't solve I think.

And could we even count on Varys knowing? Qyburn took some of his little birds. I'm not sure if there's been any comments from Varys about hearing songs from them, but he has less of them. If that would slip by Varys because his network isn't as strong, I don't expect Ellaria to tell him.

but yeah that was one of my other complaints; Tyrion should be disgusted, and furious with Elaria. He loved his niece.

Yea I just read your post about how it was poorly written for Tyrion to just be like "okay". I agree, Tyrion should be more disgusted and pissed, but he is a very calm, and smart guy. I would have liked a small scene of him and Dany discussing about it privately.

FiggyCal

Banned
How possible is it that Tyrion doesn't know? The only one of Dany's camp I'd count on knowing about it Varys (and Ellaria). I could see Varys withholding that information since he went to Dorne and brokered the alliance. If that's something he had planned, keeping that from Tyrion is obvious. That could create tension, but nothing a conversation wouldn't solve I think.

And could we even count on Varys knowing? Qyburn took some of his little birds. I'm not sure if there's been any comments from Varys about hearing songs from them, but he has less of them. If that would slip by Varys because his network isn't as strong, I don't expect Ellaria to tell him.

Tyrion, Varys, and the others probably had a lot to discuss on that boat ride to Dragonstone.

pablito

Tyrion, Varys, and the others probably had a lot to discuss on that boat ride to Dragonstone.

Not if they teleported :p

Nah but really. There's a reason to keep it from him. And not everyone hears about everything that happens. "The Bolton's have it" and all that.

Look at the first post on this page. We are beyond discussing whether or not Tyrion knows, because that's been established.

As a reaction, I'm stating Tyrion did not handle it satisfactorily. Not in my opinion as a viewer.
Yea I just read your post about how it was poorly written for Tyrion to just be like "okay". I agree, Tyrion should be more disgusted and pissed, but he is a very calm, and smart guy. I would have liked a small scene of him and Dany discussing about it privately.
He wasn't calm when he demanded a trial by combat the second time, or when he found out Varys knew about Shae.

I do hope that isn't the end of it; Tyrion should be thinking about Myrcella still. It isn't enough to just forget about it now.

FiggyCal

Banned
Peter Dinklage's accent always bothered me, but I never hear it brought up. He is a great actor though, I just think its a bad english accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom